Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

Thank you Deborah. Sinse my rads breast is an inch higher.... I need a bra that hides that. OR... I need to get some type of SOMETHING.   I am looking at all bras now.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Laura -- you know a few days ago I happened to have some time to kill (was meeting friends for dinner) and there was a Victoria's Secret near the restaurant.   I walked around and saw a slew of really nice bras there -- including wire free.  I know they are terrible at fitting there -- but it might be worth your going to check out the wire free bras they are making.  Some have light padding that might be helpful re: hiding/masking the difference.  And since you say you're looking at ALL bras... I think you need to go to Nordstrom's!  See what they have there.  They have a really huge selection of wired bras.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Laura:  I think what would work best then would be a push-up bra.  The push up pad would fill in the space in the lower pole under the rads breast, and then would lift the other breast to have symmetry with the higher rads side.  And I agree with Lilah about trying on VS push up bras also - they have wired and wireless. 

Bare Necessities has a no-minimum free shipping sale for the next two days....

Here are the first two of their Top Ten Bras

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Warners1393

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Maidenform9169

• Lilah

Yes Deborah exactly -- the VS push up bras.  They have some gorgeous ones!  Wired and unwired.  I was just browsing ... but I must say I was impressed at the selection.

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

I was also in VS Lilah and they do have a huge variety of bras.. So pretty too. Unfortunately, I was shopping for my 21 year old daughter :(.  Just to let everyone now VS has thier semi-annual sale coming up again in June. They really have some GREAT deals at this sale. I went to the one in January and got some great buys. Plus if you are on their mailing list they send out some fabulous coupons. My daughter got the pretty bras and underwear yesterday and I got a free umbrella. I was quite happy.

• Lilah

LOL "and I got a free umbrella" -- hey whatever works, right? :)

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

:). Hopefully we won't need these umbrellas in Vegas!

• Lilah

I hope we get sunshine this time!  YEAH!

• ericavw
    ericavw Member Posts: 51

Lilah... there WERE ps's in network for me, but not that went to the hospital I was using. So I asked if they thought I was going to change my BS, Oncologist, and Anesthesiologist for a new PS? I didn't really have to put up much of a fight. Wasin and I live close to each other and have the same health insurance provider. It's well worth the fight (or to try to)! The PS's that WERE in network that went to the hospital I was going to... no one had ever even heard of! That scared the pants off of me. But I had two highly recommended to me, and that's who I insisted on going to. It ain't right that the insurance companies try to bully us! Jerks!

Val... just got my coobie's in the mail. While I like them, and they are comfy... I think I agree with you. Not very supportive. I guess that may be different for each woman and the size of their new foobs! Right now I'm still wearing my bandini's. Not that I'd consider them super supportive, but I'm definitely not moving anywhere in them so that helps. I really only bought these two types because my PS said he didn't want anything rubbing against my incisions which are under my breasts. The ones I bought PRE exchange to support that super turtle shell were definitely very supportive, but way too tight and dead on on my incisions. Is there anything else you recommend to avoid rubbing there but that is still supportive and comfortable? 

• Estepp

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!! I am going to start buying.....

I have gone to three Nordy stores. had three fittings. I will NEVER go back. I am a different breed. Short....wide.....rads boob.....etc... All three Nordys tell me I am an A cup...???????????

Anyway.

I will fit myself. Nuff said.

THANK you for the bras Deborah! I think I am going to just make a few purchases tonight online... and I will let you know how it turns out.

VAL...... disregard my PM from last week. I am good.

Thanks ladies....

• Estepp

Free Umbrellas...... LOL...great!

• Lilah

Erica -- I understand and you had a perfect and GOOD argument.  Glad they listened to reason.

Laura -- l'll look forward to hearing what works!  An "A" cup -- really?  Wow.  Did you specifically ask to be fitted by someone at Nordy's who is trained to deal with MX patients?  You do have to do that at Nordy's or you may not get one of their specially trained fitters (an FYI for you and for anyone else who is reading).

• NVDiane
    NVDiane Member Posts: 151

Laura, I agree with you on Nordy's.  The girl at the Vegas store didn't bring me anything but old lady bras, and none of them fit either.  Give me Victoria's Secret any day!  The bras I get there make the girls look great.  Because, they were the first to discover I'm a D cup now, LOL!  [Hey, I was an A on one side and a B on the other, so D is pretty cool!]

• Lilah

I guess it depends on the individual store.  The lady who fitted me and Katey in White Plains did a FAB job and gave us very pretty options.  Oh well.  I do love those VS bras... Laura I hope you get a chance to try some!

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724

So I am 3 weeks post exchange and still have this pain on the bottom of my new breast and toward the cleavage area.  Only on one boob where there was brusing from surgery.  Are these internal stitches?  Is this something I should be worried about?  I'm thinking of calling my PS tomorrow.  Am I wearing the wrong bras? I've been wearing sports bras, the surgical bra given at surgery and tried a coobie today which didn't offer much support.  How much support should I be using 3 weeks out...confused

Jan

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128
    Hey all, if any of you have been putting off a purchase at herroom.com, here's a coupon. It's a 15% off code that they offered tonight because the site was down for improvements. It says it's good through the 7th.

We're making our sites faster!

This shouldn't take more than a couple of hours,
    and here's a reason to come back.
    15% off your entire order at HerRoom *

Coupon Code: XE42H3

* Copy the coupon code above. On your next shopping trip to HerRoom or HisRoom, enter it into the box labeled "Gift Certificate Redemption Code" during checkout. Hurry - coupon expires 4-7-11.
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Estepp:  I seriously doubt you are an A cup!! 

NVDiane:  I was the same size as you prior to recon: 34b A on one side B on the other.  Now I am a 34 D-DD to a 36C-D.  I was only shown old lady bras at Nordstroms, too.  I only purchased a sports bra there and got all of my pretty ones from VS.  Now that it has been a few months out, I have to try on a few different sizes because every style fits me differently.  My MX side feels a bit wider, too.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Laura - Hey, sweetie!  How in the world did I miss your bra question?  In fact, I can't even find where you asked for help here......I'm sorry.....I did already answer your PM, (checked that before I checked here), so I'm glad that you're good.  Deborah had lots of great suggestions, so I hope something works.  Please do let us know so we can add your favorites to our lists!  

Jan - sorry you're having pain, but it's most likely nothing to worry about - though it's still a good idea to check with your PS.  My thought is that your PS revised your pocket - referred to as "pocket work" - which means that he released some fascia or tighted up the pocket with sutures.  That is often necessary for symmetry.  I had that - twice actually, since I had a revision - and I honestly had pain twinges for pushing a year, though for the most part they had subsided withing about 6-8 months.      As for the support issue, that's a matter of great debate.  If you have a moment, read the start of this thread, as it's pretty much spelled out there.  Long story short:  some PS's believe in bras and some don't.  Several of us here - me, especially - have learned that bras really are necessary to provide support and comfort, and should be worn for several months 24/7 until the capsules adequately form.  You're right - the Coobies aren't very supportive, and if you have implants with much size to them, you'll be uncomfortable.    Ideally, you want a very snug - underwire if your PS allows them - that supports both lateral and vertical support.  There are several suggestions in the thread header, but we'll be glad to help you find something that'll work for you.  Just let us know!

• val61

Erica- I'm not familiar with "bandini's" so, can you fill me in?  I'm picturing a tube - like a bandeau bathing suit - but maybe I'm wrong, as you said they were supportive.  You know, your question about supportive bras that don't irritate the IMF incisions has come up a couple of times recently, and it's a tough one.  Most of us have the midline breast incisions that were used for mx, so I'm going to have to work on this one.  Do check out my response back a couple of pages (pg 57) on March 26th.  I describe and link a couple of bras to at least look at.  I'll do some homework and get back to you, though!

Cameron - thanks for the coupon!  The things I love about herroom are their fitter's comments (which I think are pretty much spot on) and that I live close to their distribution center so I get my bras the next day for regular shipping!  Now I have an excuse to do that bra shopping I've been putting off.....

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724

Thanks Val:

Yes, as I stated the spot that I get the burning pain was buised after my exchange surgery. That was the only place for bruising so I imagine he had to do some extensive work there.

I wear the surgical bra and supportive sports bras but I think I'm going to call the nurse tomorrow and see if I can wear an underwire.

Thanks for the info.  I will check the beginning of this thread.

Jan

• ericavw

Val61: The bandini you can see here:

http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Products/Women-Hanes/Women_ShopByCategory-Hanes/Women_Bras-Hanes/Women_Bras_WireFreeBras-Hanes/H299.aspx

If that link doesn't come up, it's on the Hanes website. It's pretty stretchy and it pretty much doesn't let my foobs move anywhere. I had seen that bra on a few posts, so I figured I'd at least try it because it looked to be long enough to not rub on my incision. So THAT'S what the IMF is? I had no idea what anyone meant by that term. That's your incision line? I'm not sure I'd call the bandini "supportive", but I think it may be enough for me as I don't feel I'm as big up top as a lot of women on here. I'll check out that link you mentioned. As of tomorrow, I'm supposed to start lightly massing my incisions with lotion/oil, so I hope I've done okay with wearing this bandini for the past two weeks! I showed my PS, and he said he thought it was okay... but I usually go by you guys! Haha.

• val61

Thanks, Erica, for the link!  So....it's rather like the Coobie? The link didn't pull up a picture, so I'm just going by the description. That's similar to what my PS had me wear during my TE's.  Yes,  IMF stands for "Inframammary Fold" and it's that "fold" just under your breasts - though for many of us (me included), our foobs don't have much ptosis ("droop), so it's not always a "fold" in the true sense of the word.    I don't have any incisions there, though.  My PS used my BS's "across the breast" incisions from my mastectomy, using just the most lateral (outside) 1/3 for my exchange and revision.   The philosophy of a bra after exchange is to support and stabilize the implants so that the capsules (scar tissue around the implants) form in the correct position.  So, if that bra keeps the implants "in and up" - meaning that they don't move from side to side or up and down (bounce) - then it's okay.  I'd be amazed that something without any real construction could do that, but if it works for you, then great!  

• ericavw

I'm not sure if it does! I know I don't FEEL them moving anywhere, but who the heck knows. I just couldn't find anything that was very supportive, and wasn't going to rub on that IMF line. I bought 3 Coobie's, and they're cute and all... but the straps are ridiculous. It's more of a "look at me" bra. Not a "I'm going to keep you in place" bra. The coobie has pads that make my foobs look they're normal size out of a bra, but the bandini holds them down a bit more. Maybe it's because the straps are wider, and it definitely feels a lot more spandexy than the coobie. The coobie really just feels like a bra-let tank top to me. Kinda pointless. But now that I'm going to be past the 2 week mark for my incision... I really would rather wear a bra that does more of the "in and up". I don't feel the bandini really keeps them in both of those positions! I just don't know what the heck to get!

• Lilah

Val -- Erica posted a picture of herself in her Bandini on her Picture Forum thread (if you really want to see it).  I think what you said you pictured is kinda right.

Erica -- the IMF is the "infra mammary fold" so it's the fold under the bottom of your breast (where the bottom of your breast meets your rib cage).  It is SOMETIMES where women have their incisions but, for example in my case, not always (my incision is across the center of my breast -- through where the nipple used to be).

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Erica - I went to Marshalls & TJ Maxx and got 4 or 5 sports bras I really like.  I looked for ones with hi-impact support and that buckled in the back like a regular bra, also the ones I like the best  fit of had molded cups, the support-factor seriously feels better than just a straight-up tight across the front sports bra...One of them is by Jockey, definitley not sexy, but supportive for sure!  The other brand I really like is Marika.  These don't clasp in the back, but have fasteners around your ribcage to tighten/loosen to your comfort.  They are both low-cut enough in the front that you can wear a scoop neck shirt and not look like you are going to the gym ;-)  My insicions are in the IMF, (I think you know, but, I was a nipple sparing BMX) and these do not rub crazy on my steri-strips.  The thing I noticed is I went to BOTH stores and got bought them out of these types of bras.  They had the excact same product line and I was happy because they are $40 and up and I got em for $12.99-$14.99!   Oh I dooooo love a bargain!  I'll look up the tags if you are interested, not sure if they will carry the "exact" line down by you, but it might be worth a try.  I went to Macy's, got fitted and walked out - hated their selection of sports bras!

• val61

Erica- Love that you got such great deals at Maxx and Marshall's!  I'm most definitely a "Maxinista!"  I just wish they carried my size.......c'est la vie.....  And yes, department stores - with the possible exception of Nordstrom - don't have great selections of sports bras.  A good place to try, though, is your local running store.  They tend to carry ones that are great at minimizing bounce, and we definitely need that.   

Here are sports bras at Nordstrom's.  I highly recommend the Donna Karan Underwire, but the Wacoal and Natori are quite similar.   http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-underwear#category=b6010812|f8000739&type=category&marketingslots=2&page=1&sort=featured&sortreverse=0&size=&width=&color=&price=&brand=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=filtercategory_2&sizeFinderId=0 

Athleta also offers quite a few sports bras, featuring their own plus several from "Moving Comfort."  Moving Comfort bras are often found at running stores and were actually the first ones I tried, but frankly they really didn't fit me very well.  Lots of women on here DO like them, though. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=46915

• ericavw

Thanks, Val!!! I'm gonna look at them now. I gotta find a supportive non-underwire sports bra, there's gotta be a decent one out there!

I have to say, I really do love the one Donna Karan sports bra you recommended for fire-dancer. Not sure when I'll be allowed to wear underwire, but when I can... I'm definitley checking that out!

• val61

Erica - Donna Karan makes a wireless sports bra, that I think is pretty good, though not good for high impact.  http://www.herroom.com/donna-karan-35237-signature-active-sports-soft-cup-bra.shtml 

I will say my all time favorite wireless sports bras are by lululemon athletica:   Ta Ta Tamer http://shop.lululemon.com/Ta_Ta_Tamer/pd/c/520/np/520/p/1642.html   and The Bust Stops Here  http://shop.lululemon.com/The_Bust_Stops_Here/pd/c/520/np/520/p/2705.html      You can't buy online right now 'cause they're revamping their site, but if you have a store or showroom near you, you can.  Ebay often has them as well.  I'm super-conscious of bounce or lateral movement while I'm working out, and my implants don't move at all in either of these bras!

• val61

Ladies - I had some extra time today after my monthly BC group luncheon, so stopped at Macy's to check out some of the Warner's wireless bras.  Warner's is not carried in the "higher end" department stores, but since I recommend their "Elements of Bliss Two Ply" bra all the time (the one my PS uses as the initial post-exchange bra), I thought I'd check them out.  Now, the only problem is that Warners doesn't make band sizes smaller than 34, so they were too loose around, so consequently I couldn't really judge their level of support very well.  Here's what I thought:   

1.  Warners #1298 Elements of Bliss Wire-Free with Lift.  Nice bra, low cut, but if you need lift to push up a natural breast or give a bit more fullness, you're not gonna get it here.  The lift comes from a tiny "bump" along the lower aspect of the cup and is essentially worthless on foobs - IMO.

http://www.herroom.com/Warners-1298-Elements-Of-Bliss-Wire-Free-Bra-With-LIft.shtml?cm_mmc=google-_-her-_-warner's-_-&brand=Warner's&sku=1298&kwid=c502f9ac7e344f95a54ac34fe32a9eb3&gclid=CKy91rHwiKgCFYi8KgodNBR1qg

2.  Warners #2043 True Fit Wire Free.  Again, decent bra, quite comfy, but in the 34C that I tried on (my "sister size") there was no lift going on.  Not bad, just nothing special.  http://www.herroom.com/Warners-2043-True-Fit-Wire-Free-Bra.shtml

3. Warners #2072 Elements of Bliss Convertible Wire Free.  This bra would be a great everyday bra or sleep bra -after the first 3-4 months post-exchange - for wirefree lovers and those without sizable implants.  Because it has a band along the top edge of the cups, you'd want to avoid that during those first few months as it could exert lateral pressure on the implants.  I wouldn't call it very supportive, but it's not horrible.  I love that the straps are convertible, which is hard to find in a t-shirt bra.  And it's pretty cheap.