Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

post-exchange my left side is bigger ... I didn't notice a difference in size between my natural breasts ... but my new girls, lefty is bigger than the other.  I'd heard that it had something to do with the heart ... I'm interested in knowing what you find out, val.

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Hi Val - yes, I would love your opinion for a good sports bra, although I am obviously on "hiatus" I love going to the gym and doing classes, I noticed you are an instructor, that's great!!! Any advice for a brand that will stand up to some bouncing & jumping when the time is right, would be great!

...also, since I am being advised to wear a sports bra 24/7 for a month, what type of support do you think I should go for?  My immediate sense says to go with a medium to firm support, just for good measure so they stay right where they are, I'm quite nervous of a "roaming" boob...I had pocket work done on one side and definitley want to "help" keep that one in place till it is 'secure'.

I am going to inquire about wearing a regular bra here and there for going out or a special occassion, I cannot wait to see what they look like set up in a sexy bra!!!

Whatever brands you think would work for me, or that you liked (being that we are close in size) I'd be curious to know about.  I'll probably wait till next wknd to get to Nordstroms for a fitting.  I am sure I have some swelling and I figure 2 weeks out should be a good place to start getting measured, I assume I will be about the size/shape I will be by then...minus the "dropping & fluffing! Wink

Thanks again, Val!

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

and btw, I just noticed the comments about the left-side being bigger...pre-bmx, my left was a tad bigger and post bmx I still think it is a tad bigger...hmmm...

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

firedancer - I was actually thinking about you and sports bras this morning as I was putting mine on....Smile    You are very wise to be nervous of the "romaing foob" - been there, done that, and although completely worth it, not much fun.   The trick is that you want to keep the implants "up and in" as my PS said.  That means the bra needs to give you good lateral support, and you need to keep the straps good and snug.  The lateral support is what's a bit difficult to find in a "leisure-style" sports bra - you know, the kind that are just nylon, may have hooks in front or back, but aren't really structured.  The snugger the better, too.  The idea is that you need to keep the implants in place while the scar tissue or "capsule" forms around them.  Once it starts forming in the wrong position, the only real solution is a revision.  Wearing a good bra early on for the first few months will help prevent that. 

As for my favorite brands, they are Freya, Fantasie, and Chantelle.  They just fit me the best.  I also have a couple Panache bras and one from Anita, which I also like.  The Freya bras are almost all 3-part cup construction, which gives the most support; the one downside is that the seams show under snug tops.  I wore those bras for the first 4 months 24/7, then my PS "allowed" me to wear other bras, and I found some seamless ones that are great.  I'll be glad to share the styles when you're ready.   Until then, rest and heal!

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Speaking of sports bras - although I do love the Bendon Sport  style 73-408 - I have found one I absolutely love even better.  It is Athleta style 819373 - it is underwire and is kind of hard to get into like the Bendon, but the straps can cross or go straight back - so supportive.  Val - have you ever heard of it.  You can find it at athleta.com   Of course they don't have it in 32DD, but the 34D seems to work great for me.

• jan508
    jan508 Member Posts: 724

I am 2 weeks out of exchange and my PS said I could wear a sports bra.  I'm finding I get some pain when I wear just cami's but I've been wearing the hospital bra at night to bed.  I think because of pain that I should be wearing the bra 24/7 but I don't know.

I'm thinking of calling the PS tomorrow since I'm still having soreness on the 'bottom' of my girls.

Anyone experience this?  It looks like I should be in a bra 24/7 for awhile but not sure now what kind.

Any advice will help in case I cannot get in touch with him tomorrow.

Thanks

JB

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

jan508 - I wore an old zip up the front sports bra after my exchange.  Some ladies have found the marena bras to do well post-exchange.  I'm eight months post-exchange and I hurt if I'm out of bra more than 15 minutes and I have alloderm. 

Here is a link to the marena bras.  I found I needed a bra that supported laterally when I slept ... the zip up the front or clip up the front work for me best while sleeping.  Others will chime in with what worked for them.

Blessings to you!

http://marenagroup.com/store/entity/tabid/198/c-3-breast-support.aspx

• jan508

Dawne:

Thanks! I have alloderm also and I will check out the link.

Jan

• wasin
    wasin Member Posts: 36

val61,

Is it possible to get a larger implant size(cc's) than the tissue expander size?

I was surprised when I read a post (I think Exchange City?)on how this lady was able to get a 475cc implants when she was expanded to 425cc.  Is that possible?  My PS told me during TE that he can't expand me beyond 310cc since I had a small ribcage and the way my chest wall was made.

I've been PM whippetmom and she thinks that I should go in for revision because my right implant looks like I need some more filling.  (I sent her few photos)  I was really small before bilateral mastectomy(32A-) and now I have 290cc's on both sides. And originally my left was slightly fuller and lower.  Now that I'm thinking, I don't know why my PS didn't put a slightly bigger implant on my right since my left is fuller.  (maybe he forgot?)  He's supposed to be nationally and internationally known top doctor and I'm hoping that he will be willing to fix this problem.

By the way, Whippetmom mentioned that you were very small too but now you have a much bigger size implants?  I would be happy w/ 325-350cc's..

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Wasin -- I had a 600 cc TE expanded to 850 cc's... but my PS put in a 685 cc implant.  That said, a lot of surgeons routinely place implants that are larger than the expanded size of the TE.  It depends on two things: (1) the surgeon and (2) the implant itself.  Gummies, because they are less squishy than regular silicone, cannot be put in larger -- the TE must expand to a larger size (as in my case) because there is less ability to squish it around (and in) whereas a regular silicone implant can be squeezed into a smaller opening.  At least, that is how my surgeon explained it.  So when you see women talking about getting implants larger than the expanded size of their TE, it most likely regular silicone implants (and even with regular silicone not all surgeons are comfortable with that ratio... i.e., even with regular silicone there are surgeons who prefer to place an implant that is smaller than the expanded size).

I'll let Val answer for her part... but did want to point out that since you have gummy implants at the moment that may be why your surgeon said that.

• wasin

Lilah- Thank you for letting me know, I certainly didn't know that until today.

Also, it sounds like most women have silicone gel implants even w/ mastectomies done.  I thought women w/ mastectomies are supposed to have textured gummy bears after reconstruction.  (Hmm.. )

• wasin

Lilah- So do you have silicone gel implants?  I like the natural feel to it but I was afraid of effects on other areas of my body if it ever leaked in the future.  My PS is very intimidating although he seems to be good at what he does..  I hope he's willing to fix it..  And what is your insight on the effects of silicone gel leakage to other areas of the body?  I also wish that U.S would have a round gummy bear.  I found that it's widely popular in Europe..

• Lilah

Wasin -- most women don't have gummies because, in USA anyway, they are still on trial so not easily available (you can only get them if your doctor is in the trial).  So most in the US have regular silicone.  Are you in US or Canada?  In Canada and Europe, where gummies have been widely available for over 10 years (in various forms and levels of firmness, as I understand it) I do believe it IS more common for women to receive those over the regular silicone.  There is no "supposed to" though, as far as I know! 

• wasin

Lilah- I'm in U.S. and my PS happens to be in a clinical trial.   I wish they had a round gummies available though..

• val61

Wassin - Yes, Whippetmom is correct; I had "exceedingly small breasts" as my BS put in her OR notes!  I was a 32 sub-AA (or AAA as I call it)-essentially nipples on a ribcage.  And yes, it is completely possible to have implants much larger than TE's.  I had 250cc (low-height)TE's (expanded to 245cc) and have 425cc HP implants!  HOWEVER, a lot depends on the style of TE used, as well as the implant style.  Although I don't know a whole lot about gummies  (my PS used to use them, but doesn't anymore), but Lilah does, so her explanation above bears consideration.   In my case, because my PS uses low-height TE's, pretty much the entire upper pole (about 50%) of the "future foob"  is not expanded (mostly under the pectoral muscle).  That allows for nearly double the volume of implant to be used, which is almost what mine ended up being.  Some PS's also like to overexpand and use implants smaller than TE's in an attempt to create a more natural "ptosis" (droop) of the foob; from many who've shared their experiences on EC, that doesn't often end up working, as that also tends to result in rippling.

And yes, I think the vast majority of implant recon uses regular silicone; as Lilah said, there is no requirement for implant type.   The gummies are silicone, as well, just in a cohesive form, thus the term "gummies bear."  Some surgeons are big gummie fans, and others (like mine, though he did participate in the initial clinical trials) are not - just like with TE style, bra requirements, etc.  Lots of differences of opinions, which is not so much an indication of "better or worse," but more preferences based on their surgical technique and beliefs. Hope that makes some sense....  

• val61

Jan - Many of us are like Dawne-Hope - not comfortable w/o a bra for much time at all.  Pretty much the only time I'm not in a bra - almost always underwire - is when I'm in the shower!  I do think your pain might be helped with a bra.  Think about it:  you're asking just a bit of muscle and skin to hold up  implants that aren't all that lightweight.  If you had much pocket work done, then that only adds to the soreness.  Supporting those implants will take a lot of pressure off the IMF (imframmary fold) and hopefully give you some relief.  Tightening the straps as much as possible will help.  Keep me posted!

• Lilah

Wasin -- the fuller height gummies will give you a more rounded appearance.  I have medium height and, for me, that is plenty of round!  And I have a gummy (I'm a uni).

• val61

Valerie - I HAVE seen that bra and thought it looked good, but since it doesn't come in  a 32 band, never considered it.  Since I generally wear  30 band, I can do 32 in sports bras (since I have yet to see a sports bra in a 30), but I'd probably swim in the 34.  C'est la vie......   I'm always on the lookout for good sports bras that are either racerback or have convertible straps, so keep us posted!     BTW, I have a black 32DD Ta Ta Tamer by lululemon that I've only worn a few times, then decided it was too big.  Awesome bra - I bought another one in 32D and it's perfect.  I can make you (or someone else) a good deal on it!  Just let me know.....

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142

Does anyone have an underwire t-shirt bra that is not padded that they love? Every store I go to they want to give me padded since I'm not even. But the bras are making me look bigger than I want to look! I'd rather look uneven.

• val61

Anne - I have two completely unpadded - not even a lining, just the fabric - smooth t-shirt bras that I really like:  

Fantasie 4520  http://www.herroom.com/fantasie-4520-seamless-molded-balcony-bra.shtml    It comes in nude, too, and doesn't show at all under white t's.   

The other one is Anita "Alicia" 5690  http://www.herroom.com/anita-5690-alicia-underwire-bra.shtml

I have the Anita one in black, but I think Dawne-Hope has it in the sand color, so maybe she can share how it is under white.

My other favorite t-shirt bra DOES have a smidge of "padding," though it's really more lining.  And let me tell you, this bra makes the girls look really good, if I do say so myself!    It's the  Panache "Porcelain" 3376 and comes in nude and black, though the nude is too light for me and shows through white.   As recommended on the website, I did go up a cup size in this style and it fits beautifully.  http://www.herroom.com/panache-3376-porcelain-molded-seamless-underwire-bra.shtml

Hope those ideas help some!  I have tried a few other styles, but these work best for me.  Another great one that I loved, but just didn't work for me - though it worked for another quite similarly-sized BCO sister : Freya Deco Plunge 4234 http://www.herroom.com/freya-4234-deco-underwire-molded-plunge-bra.shtml     I also tried another Anita unlined bra, but just couldn't get the cups to sit smoothly on me:  Anita Seamless 5490 http://www.herroom.com/anita-5490-seamless-underwire-bra.shtml

My foobs tend to work best in the "demi" style of bra, probably because I'm somewhat petite (not in height, just body Smile)      Good luck!     

BTW........I used the links from  herroom.com because I love their info box and fitter's comments that are under each style's page.  They've really been quite helpful with sizing and style for me.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Val - the Ta Ta Tamer isn't underwire is it - would it still be ok - I might be interested!!

• val61

Valerie - no it's not underwire, but it really is VERY supportive.  I don't have any lateral or vertical movement doing high-impact aerobics, at least with the straps crossed, which definitely adds some support.  The only non-underwire bras I own are by lululemon - the "Ta Ta Tamer" (don't you just love that name?) and "The Bust Stops Here" which sadly I think they don't make anymore.  My son got me one a few months ago when he worked there.  Something about their construction just makes them as supportive as an underwire - and no uniboob, either!

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

val61 - In reply to my implant exchange in PS office - yes he has a small OR suite in his office. He told me that he could exchange the implant there and that I wouldn't have to miss any work. He knows my boss has been a really difficult person with my whole breast issues and surgery. I told no one I was having the surgery, just came in with the lifting restricition note the next day. Incredibly, I have had no pain or discomfort, not even from the stitches. The foob looks just like my left one which has finished it's drop and fluff from the alloderm support revision in January. I now have more symmetry and like the upper pole fullness that both have and hope it stays. The new implant doesn't seem to have to drop and fluff as the pockets were already opened from the other one. Now we just hope Mentor warranties the leaking one and doesn't say it is surgeon's fault. Don't see how it could be since it started leaking after a fall in late October which was 2 months after it's alloderm support surgery. I feel better than I have in a long time in the foob department.

My husband and I are distributors for "Send Out Cards" and I found a sort of thank you card that had "Mr. Fix It" written into the title and a blank inside for message. I couldn't resist sending this card to my Plastic Surgeon as he has certainly been the "breast Mr. Fix It".

(Oh yes, his surgery suite is definitely not the Dr. 90210 or anything fancy. It is purely functional. You wear sweats and socks and they use blankets and paper gown topper things. No fluffy robes, flowers or anything else. I had to fight to get latex free gloves used due to latex allergy and they gave me double dose  benadryl to ward off any allergies but still didn't keep me out - LOL.Good thing I am a Medical Technologist and also a Crime Scene Technologist by training so not much  freaks me out, medically.)

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Delilahbear "AKA Nancy"

• Ann97
    Ann97 Member Posts: 142

Thanks, Val. That was super helpful. I think I will do some shopping today!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Delilahbear:  I am so happy your PS could do this for you so conveniently!  I bet it saved you and your insurance company lots of $$$, too.

• val61

Nancy - Darn that you didn't get a fuzzy robe and slippers.....but I remember the troubles you had with work, so this was an excellent fix for you!   Good thing, too, about being in the medical field.  I'm sure most people wouldn't have been nearly as accommodating as you were when you woke up!  And talk about a perfect card - Mr. Fix It - love it!   So happy that your foobs are finally behaving themselves and you can focus on much for enjoyable things in life!

• asr51
    asr51 Member Posts: 28

I need some suggestions.  Two weeks ago I had my right implant exchanged and nipple reconstruction.  When I originally had my exchange back in October, I wore front hook bras for six weeks to make sure the implants stayed in place.  I usually wore either a Marena bra or one from Walmart. This time, because of the new nipples, I was told not to wear those kind of bras even though I have one new implant.  I was told to wear a wireless bra with a molded cup 24/7.  My problem is that this time, when the implant was exchanged, my incision is underneath and not at the side.  Every bra I have bought has hurt.  The pain doesn't seem to be directly where the incision is.  It's a little bit below it which doesn't make sense to me, but it's there.  Do any of you have a suggestion of a bra that would be comfortable and not hurt?

Thanks,

Ann

• jan508

I was quite sore today so I went out and bought a couple of sports bras.  I think they are working as opposed to the uncomfortable surgical bra I got a surgery with the hook and eye in the front.

I'll try these for a couple of days and see how I do. 

When did y'all get measured for a correct bra size?  I'm only 2 weeks out of exchange surgery.

Thanks

Jan

• val61

Ann - I'm hoping that someone who's had the IMF incision will pop in here.  It's not all that common - with my revision, my PS used my same "across the foob" incision - so I don't have much experience.  I will say that generally for post-nip recon, PS's allow you to remain wearing the same bra, just with the straps really loose so there's no pressure on the new nips.  However, since you also have that IMF incision, I understand completely how wearing much of anything is pretty uncomfortable.    I do know of a couple really soft bras that don't have much of a band - which sounds like what would help.  They are the Warner's "Elements of Bliss" unpadded bra, style #1003   http://www.herroom.com/Warners-1003-Elements-of-Bliss-2-Ply-Wire-Free-Bra.shtml?cm_vc=0201    and the other is the "Spa Bra" from SOMA , but I just checked and it appears to be phasing out.  I wore that during my TE's when I needed something other than a cami, and it's super soft, just not much support.  http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=19&pageId=1&productId=100043756&viewAll=&prd=Spa+Kahala+Yoga+Bra&subCatId=cat6199280&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=14&catId=cat40089&cat=&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=      

Sorry I'm not much help.  Hopefully somebody else will pipe in with a wonderful suggestion for you!

• val61

Jan - Do you have much swelling?  If not, then you should be fine getting measured.  Most of us didn't change sizes at all.  I was measured at 10 days post-exchange, and I wear the same size today.  Do wait til you're feeling better, though, 'cause you'll probably have to try on several bras to find a good fit, so you'll need your energy!   My PS made me go that quickly, and since I was still on arm movement restrictions, it took the fitter, plus my two girlfriends in the dressing room to put the bras on me - quite a show, I must say!