Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Val did you mean to write that your PS uses alloderm only when there ISN'T adequate skin at initial placement?

I don't have alloderm either.  My PS told me she doesn't like to use it because of increased risk of infection. 

• KellyMaryland
    KellyMaryland Member Posts: 62

Thank you Val! I'm going to spend some time working back through the thread...am actually looking forward to bra shopping.  How does anyone ever find a bra to fit with the TEs in place?!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Cindy: as soon as I read it, I thought it was so succinct, it became my siggy a minute later. "True love requires squishiness"...it stuck me as profound, because you said it with such certainty.  Good job!

Tonight I went to Nordstrom RACK!  Why have I never been there before?? I tried on bras for 20 minutes, and bought a Wacoal for $21.  I really want to try on Freyas or Fantasies but I'm having a hard time finding my size in stores.  I am hesitant to order without knowing what works for me.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Kelly:  I do have an Alloderm sling and this is what I have found:  My breasts hurt without a bra.  They like being contained and supported.  That said, my PS did alot of pocktwork on my MX side and I can only wear a bra for so long and then it's torture on my left side (not under the breast) so I wear VS bra tops to sleep in.  My PS also used a sewed down TE so I have absolutely no chance of any migration happening whether I wear a bra or don't.  I thought I would be all excited about never having to wear a bra again, however, they look best with a little bit of padding and push up in any top that goes in a v and in t-shirts and sweaters they look huge (to me) without any padding.  Ladies, do any of you notice that in some clothes they look huge and in other clothes almost flat.  It's so weird!!!

firedancer:  The liya halter is soooo flattering! I wish the bombshell style was available without the 3" of padding because the style is super cute but omg I have torpedo aka madonna breasts in those, lol.  I am well aware of their sale going on right now.  My DH complains that I now get 3 catalogues a day from them--they have my number, lol.  Just recieved a couple of the new tie back padded halter tops with gold rings in the straps.  Super sexy and cute!  I got a black one and a white one. 

• Lilah

Those tops are so CUTE!

• MBJ

They are padded so they give you lift and oomf, lol!

• Cameron

MBJ, I demand to know how on earth you got that picture of me. 

• shannonW
    shannonW Member Posts: 17

Hey all! Little advice...Went for my Nordstrom fitting today post implant exchange and to my surprise I measured a 34D!!! She said my rib cage measured 31. I thought I'd be a 36C but the 36C felt good-to little loose band wise with cup size sort of puckered out on side. The 34D bandwise was little snug, but D cup felt good. I left with nothing. Oh, and Nordstrom had small wireless section to boot. Any ideas???

• Cameron

I'd go with a 34, maximum. You'll get used to it.

I'm finding I can wear either 32DD or 34D, it seems to depend on the brand.

• Lilah

Shannon -- if you feel confident of the size fitting (which it sounds like you do) go shopping on line.  Barenecessities.com and Herrroom.com are good places to start.  Sounds like you are looking for wireless... so search the term "wireless" and also "wire free" :)  My favorite bra is the Wacoal (I wear a 38D).  The Wacoal Awareness is an excellent bra post-exchange (comes both wired and wire free).  Halo lace bra is another by Wacoal that comes both wired and non-wired.

• MBJ

Cameron:  LOL!!! I was going to put a disclaimer at the bottom stating that is wasn't a picture of me!!!

• shannonW
    Lilah~Actually got  my eye on a new Wacoal Awareness on Ebay. It's new. I think I'm going to order it. Right now I'm just sporting this sports bra 24/7 but need somthing else. It's pretty reasonably priced. I just was surprised at the 34D. Pre-bmx I thought I was 36B but straps were always falling off. The 34 just seemed snug. I'll order one and see. Just ready fro a prettier bra...it's been a long time....
  • Lilah

Shannon -- it's likely you were wearing the wrong size pre-BMX.  But also implants tend to be wider than real breasts so you may wear a D but not look like a D.  I don't think you can go wrong with the Awareness!  Everyone seems to like that model.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Lilah - Nope.  He said he uses Alloderm only when absolutely necessary, and those times include when there IS adequate skin to allow some significant initial expansion.  When there isn't enough skin for much expansion - in smaller-busted women - there's no need.  Since the Alloderm doesn't have anything to do with exterior coverage of the TE, it doesn't help.  That's about as much as I really understand about it, sorry!

Kelly - You CAN'T find a bra with the TE's, not really at least, and many PS's recommend no bras during TE's anyway.  They can exert pressure on the TE's to gravitate to unwanted places, so not a good thing!

Shannon - Yippee for you!  That's exactly the band size I'd suggest for that ribcage measurement!  Believe me, the bands stretch QUITE quickly - within a half-dozen wearings, I'd say - and will continue to do so.  "Always err on the small side", that's my motto.....for bra bands that is.....definitely not for foobs.....LOL!  Wink         (Quick story:  when preparing for my exchange, my PS asked me how "aggressive I wanted him to be .  I asked him to translate; he said that meant do I want as big as he would go.  I very quickly answered, "Be agressive!!"   I'd had plenty of time being "that cute flat girl" and was ready for a change!)

MBJ - That top is SO cute!  When you say it's padded, just how much are we talking?  And I looked at that bombshell bra the other day when I was in there shopping for panties (my other addiction besides shoes and bras).   Those bras would make my foobs just darn dangerous.....I already run into things with them all the time.....just yesterday I turned around in the kitchen and ran into my 19 yr-old son with one....it happens so much, he's made up a phrase:  "Mom, you just foobed me." 

Cameron - And I thought you were trying to maintain your anonymity.......now the truth is out.....Wink

• shannonW

That makes me feel better  Val and Lilah! I'm sure I was wearing the wrong size pre-bmx. The funny thing is my 17yo DD cup niece saw me for the first time today since Feb. bmx and she was like, "a D...really?!" You are right with the roundness of the foobs taking up the cup room.  I went to herroom.com and ordered 2 bras. We'll see and I'll be patient with the fit and "breaking in" process.Thanks gals! Have a great nite!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

MBJ - Yes!  Regarding shape/size in differenent clothes.  It's weird, isn't it?  I've noticed in my dress shirts I'm flatter.  In fitted t-shirts, however, I feel huge!  It is must be the width thing .... I do a double-take in the mirror becaues it just doesn't look like me.  Strange.

• Lilah

Val -- thanks for clarifying!  That is very interesting.  Since my PS doesn't even consider using alloderm under any circumstances, I've never really invesigated much.

And LOL on being "foobed"!

• MBJ

Val:  Omg, foobed!  Lol!!  The padding in the halter top from VS is much like that in a standard push up bra--not stiff, but soft.  Nothing like those 3" of padding in those Miraculous make you 3 x bigger torpedo boob things.  They are hard as a rock and ridiculous.  You can tell it's padding.  Some of the styles would be so flattering if they just made the padding more gradual and less obvious.  They are really silly looking and more like a "costume" type of item.  I have a few "push up" non padded tops from VS that I use to sleep in and this halter with the padding is just more flattering.  It pushes you in and up just like the model's, er Cameron's, picture, lol.  I like that it's tunic length which gives it a dressier, more modern look.  Great with skirts, jeans, whatever. 

• Cameron

Hmm thank you for the in-depth report on that halter top, MBJ...I love knowing what to expect.  I'm putting that top on my "must have" list.  Since I long ago declared 2011 the year of the halter...it's a no-brainer.

What a shame I couldn't keep the one from my VS photoshoot, Tongue out 

I think I may just order a few bras online today... I am doing this blind since I can't find Freyas or Fantasie in stores to try on. I find 34D's generally fit great, so that's what I'll try.

Here's a tip I found in the Freya Pollanna reviews on HerRoom: someone complained about the lace being scratchy and the manufacturer of Freya wrote this in response:

"Eveden Response: This is one of our top selling bras and our overall reviews have been FANTASTIC! We suggest that you always wash your bra prior to wearing. The next time you wash your bra (hand wash is recommended) let the bra soak awhile (20 mins or so). This will soften the lace. Sometimes in production the lace is stiffened a bit for production needs, but once it is washed a couple of times it softens up."

This seems like common sense but it just never occured to me.  I soaked and washed my new new bra last night and WOW did it make a difference. I will be posting pics on the bra thread at Timtams later on, although I did just find a store near me that carries Chantelle so maybe I'll be shopping...hmmm...

• Estel
    Just got back from a dreadfully boring, frustrating and loooongggg three day business meeting very late last night.  Guess what I received in the mail today?  My bras I ordered last week!  Laughing  Most surprised by a chantelle icone lace, not smooth cup.  It is gorgeous and fits beautifully!!!  The freya bras are new to the line ... I've only had them on about 10 minutes/each one ... so far I like one better than the other ... but I need to wear them longer before I know for sure.  Got the chantelles on sale and was absolutely delighted to find the icone smooth cup comes in a 30D.  That may be my answer to my t-shirt problem ... the one I bought is aqua so won't work under white shirts but gonna go see if the 30d comes in tan/white.  I'll post the pics tomorrow or Monday on the forum ... but ah, new bras!  Just what a girl needed after dreadful business meetings!  Cool
  • Estel
    Cameron - Go for it!  Order them ... if they don't fit or you're not sure, send them back.  Wear them for at least an hour, though.  It's like a pair of shoes ... they may feel great at first but the longer you have them on ... not so much.  Let us know what you order & keep us posted on the details ... you've other bra addicts here you know!  Wink
  • Estel

Just learned something:  Checked Nordstrom's site on the chantelle icone and it doesn't come in a 30D although I just bought one last week at herroom but it was on clearance and in aqua color.  Checked out herroom site for the regular icone (not on clearance) and they have it but in MORE sizes than the nordstrom site.  If you can't find your size ... parouse the different links Val has in this header and you may find it!  Yay!!

• Estel
    If you need a smile, check out the bra thread on the picture forum.  God knew I needed to laugh today!  Laughing
  • Lilah

LOL Dawn - on my way!

I think the Freya and Pollyanna sizes are different than regular American bra sizes.  When I was Nordstroms they did have a selection but I was never able to find a size that fit.  That said,the fitter had me trying on E and F size bras even though I was fitted to a D or DD in the Wacoal bras.  If I remember right the E and F bras fit either too big or too small!  It was very frustrating.  Let us know what you find out Cameron when you get the ones you ordered today (assuming you did).  I know Val likes these bras so maybe she can weigh in on the size question.

• Cameron

what befuddles me is on the nordstrom website, I am unable to order a Freya Pollyanna in 34D. It's UK sizing, they use the letter D, why can't I order one? Then I could return it for free just by bringing it to the store, if it didn't fit.

I wonder if it's because it's HUGELY on sale...maybe they are phasing it out for the new Freya Faye...

• Estel

Cameron - I checked & that is really odd.  I don't know what is going on.  Go to the store and order it from there and get free shipping.  I checked on herroom and they have 34D.  Odd, for sure.  Here's the link to the herroom site:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-5922-pollyanna-balcony-bra.shtml

• Estel

Cameron - I don't know how to post links in the pic forum.  Your love for pattern reminds me of the Josie Bra by Natori. I have one of these bras and I like it.  It wouldn't be ideal for post-exchange until a few months out because it is a smooth cup but here are a couple of links to the Josie bra.

Here is the one I have but the link doesn't have all the colors that I've seen it in at Nordstroms.  Hmmm. I've just check the nordies site and it isn't even on there. 

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Natori832118&source=gbase&term=Natori832118&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Bra-_-Natori832118-_-N/A

Haven't tried this one but it looks kind of cool and really pretty!

http://www.herroom.com/natori-847133-josie-etoile-3-4-contour-underwire-bra.shtml

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

So, wish I'd seen this before----------probably would have avoided all the problems I've had--bummer

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Thanks, MBJ, for the halter info!  I'm hangin' with Cameron.....the year of the halter sounds good to me.....especially since it was 100 here yesterday!!!

Lilah (and other interested parties) - the European sizing is slightly different.  Instead of a DD, it goes directly to E.  So, an American DD = European E; and American E= European F.  How's that for confusion?  It all started with those darn Pilgrims.......

I've been frustrated by Nordstroms' lack of sizes, too.  Having worked at Neiman's, I know a little bit about how retail works, so my guess is that their intimates buyer doesn't order a whole size-run of the product, say the Freya Pollyanna, just the more popular sizes.  If their contract doesn't specifically provide for product replinishment - for whatever reason - then once that size is gone (as in your 34D, Cameron), then they're gone.  However, that doesn't mean that the product isn't available elsewhere, like online sources.  

Dawne-Hope - I ALMOST ordered that Chantelle bra the other day, too, but opted for something else, which at this moment, I can't even recall!  Keep me posted on it....

Thanks, Cameron, for sharing about the lace.  At this very moment, I'm wearing a brand new Freya Pollyanna - honest - and yes, the lace is a bit scratchy.  I did wash it, but only once - in the lingerie wash that Nordstrom sells - but I know it'll soften up with the next HANDWASH or so, since this is my 5th Pollyanna since my exchange!  (a girl needs them in every color, you know!)

Sheila - what's the scoop?  Bra problems?  We can try to help.....Smile

Hope you all have a wonderful week!   Motto of the week:  Soak your bras and halters rule!

• MBJ

Val:  100!!!  Wow, it's barely 70 here--doesn't feel like the beginning of summer at all!