Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawne -- Chantelle Amazone Soft Cup Bra, Style 2102 black, wireless 38D -- yep!  You can see it on page 1 of my bra thread in the picture forum.  I have to say it was my favorite bra for 8 months --- but now that I'm wearing wired bras again it has been sorely neglected!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I just put in an order on figleaves.  I'll keep you all posted ....

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Dawne-Hope:  Love to hear how it goes!!!  What did you purchase?

• Estel

MBJ - A couple of freya bras and a couple of freya undies to go with some recent purchases I bought from barencecessities.  My 1 year foobaverisary is coming up in a couple of weeks ... kind of a treat for myself!  Wink

• MBJ

Congratulations, Dawne-Hope!!!

• Lilah

Dawne -- wahoo!  And how nice to treat yourself.  I think that's what I'll call my recent purchase from herroom.com (still waiting for it to arrive!) -- my exchange surgery was May 11, 2010... which is what, I think, you mean by foobiversary, yes?

• Estel

Thanks, ladies! 

Lilah - Yes, that's what I meant for foobaverisary ... or is it foobversary or foobanniversary?!  Tongue out  Mine is July 23.  I think it's great to remember that day with something fun.  This year has been a year of really tough 1st anniversaries and this is the first anniversary of something that is actually fun!  :Laughing

• Lilah

I agree Dawne!  (And spell it however you like :)

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Val, have you ever tried the Freya Jolie?  It is nipping at Pollyanna's heels, I love it so much...it is SUPER supportive!  I think it may need to be declared "extra good for foobs" because TRUST ME I am difficult to fit in terms of that extra space where nipples once were...

Freya Jolie is nice and snug on me, just like Pollyanna.  I am eyeing another color Jolie on eBay and I hope it fits this well.

Now if you will all excuse me, I have to go find my 3 Polly's and tell them I still love them the MOST, and then I will secretly tell UK cocoa Pollyanna that no one can replace your first love, no matter what, and I love her BEST.  Seriously. That bra is like butter on my skin.  The lace feels like silk.  I think the UK is holding out on us... 

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

It's sad the dates I now remember:

day I found the lump

day I had lumpectomy and another surgery 10 days later to make incision look better

first chemo treatment and last chemo

first radiation treatment and last rad

when I started Femara

when I had enough hair (barely) to go around the house without my head covered (it used to creep out my son to see my bald)

When I found out I needed a double mastectomy

Surgery day for DM

.....and still to come, exchange with lift and tighten surgery, nipples and tattooing

Where is the end?

I can laugh about my breasts  looking like a Barbie Doll, but actually crying happens too......

• Lilah

Aw Justagirl... I know how you feel.  I'm almost a year ahead of you and I have to say that at this point I don't cry anymore, I just feel so happy to be alive, to be NED (god willing forever), to have hair, to have breasts that almost match (I'm a uni), to have energy and the joy of life back.  It will get easier.

And you can always treat your bras like Barbie dolls, as Cameron clearly does :)

• MBJ

((((Justagirl)))):  It's crazy what we have all been through!

My exchange date was August 20th--I can't believe it's been almost a year!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Justagirl, you hang in there. Stop thinking about all those dates and focus on the most important day:  TODAY!  Life is good :-) 

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545

AMEN Cameron!!!

MBJ - thanks for the tip!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Happy Tuesday, ladies!  I'm back after my long weekend of "forced relaxation" (my dh's phrase), which I must say was much needed and enjoyed.  Now it's back to reality...and laundry.....

((((Justagirl))))) - What a long journey you've already had.....and it's still not over.  As Lilah said,  you WILL get through it.....and we'll be right here when you need us....honest.    I can particularly relate, though, because i'm very much a "date" girl, too; I can tell you the date of every test, diagnosis, and surgery I had.  Yes, I still acknowledge those dates.....my one year "foob completion day" is in just four days Smile........and I probably will for a long time.  My prayer, though,  is that with each succeeding year, I can greet those dates more with gratitude and hope, than with loss and sadness.  I wish the same for you, too.    Hang in there!

Cameron - You have piqued my interest with the Jolie...... Actually, I DID own an older version of the Jolie that was a plunge style - came all the way down to the center wire.  The back was structured rather oddly, with a strange sort of double-elastic configuration.  The lower cup was slightly padded, but not the upper.  I bought it on the un-returnable clearance online, so after attempting to wear it a couple of times, I sent it to Goodwill.  By the looks of this one, though, I'd like it.  So tempting.......Kiss

• Emaline
    Emaline Member Posts: 37

So when should one go and get new bras?  I'm muddling through fills at this point. I'm filled to 570 and I asked when he thought we would be done. He said if I want to stop here, we stop here. I said I would like to be a C cup, so he suggested going to a store and holding up some C cups and see how looks.  He said due to the expander it won't be perfect but I can get an idea on where I am at.

After the surgery I have no idea what I'm going to do or where.  I'm a 40DD right now, at least, on my right side.  I can't see just going out and getting some C cups to have on hand....I don't know.  What did you ladies do?  

I did call my insurance and Nordstroms is covered so I can go there after the surgery.  I just need to call them and set up and appointment. 

• val61

Welcome, Emaline!  Believe me, we all remember those months of fills!  Your PS has an excellent suggestion in trying on some bras to get an idea of your desired size so he can help choose your implants.  And he's absolutely correct: the bras will NOT fit you correctly, but then again, that's not the point right now.  I'm guessing you're planning on having a reduction on your natural side if you're thinking ending up with a C-cup implant?  Because of your natural side, you can't really try on a C-cup bra, so you'll just have to hold one up to you as best you can.

***One important thing to remember is that cup sizes are all relative ratios; a 32C is NOT the same cup size as a 40C. It would be easy (if you're not trying the bras on and just holding them up) to just grab any old C-cup bra, which would give you wrong info.  Make sure your grab a 40C.......or maybe a 38C since most of us started out wearing too big a band.....Wink

If it were me, I don't think I'd rush out and buy any bras right now.....and yes, ladies, that was hard for me to write!  There's plenty of time after your exchange to get properly fitted, and chances are you'll come home from the hospital wearing either a whole lot of foam tape (like me) or a surgical bra.   That's wonderful for you that you have some insurance coverage for them and that there's a Nordstrom nearby.  They (almost always) do a great job with us recon gals.  Hang in there!

• val61

Dawne-hope - I almost forgot to respond to your question.    If I had to choose between the Panache Porcelain and the Cleo Jude, I'd go with the Panache. The Jude is cut so low in the center - which is wonderful when you need it - it doesn't have the support of the higher-cut Porcelain.  However, I just now re-read your post and you mentioned about needing a nude bra.  Unless they've changed the colors, my Panache Porcelain isn't nude, it's much more on the ivory side.....and without a tan I'm pretty pasty......so perhaps that changes things......   Decisions, decisions......

• val61

Dawn-hope- One more thought..... I was just washing out a bunch of my bras, including my nude t-shirt bra, and thought of you. It's Fantasie 4510. It does have molded cups, and it's not as comfy as some, but it does work very well under snug white tops.

Okay.....i will quit hogging this thread.....back to work for me

• Emaline
    Emaline Member Posts: 37

Val61 thank you so much for your input.  Yes I am getting a reduction/lift on my non-cancer breast.  It is the one thing that I am actually looking forward to, but I know that will be the hardest part of the surgery.  While I hate my TE with a passion, I kind of like how non saggy it is! LOL.  It is a nice reminder of the good ol' days pre-41, pre-pregnancy days :)

Glad to see my doctor is continuing to give me good care.  As hard as it is, I will wait. I just want to run right out but who knows where I will end up?  It is also a good point that I will be in bandages for a bit.  

Thanks again :)

• Estel

val61- It's your thread to hog!  Wink Laughing  And you're not hogging it at all! 

It's good to have you back ... sometimes I feel like I hog it! 

I tried the Fantasie one it is too big in the cups. Undecided  I tried on my black Panache Porcelain Lace again and forgot how good it fits me ... I think the plain Panache Porcelain (not the lace one) comes in white.  I don't have a plain panache porcelain yet so I'm thinking I will try that one next!  Kiss

Thanks again for sharing all your wisdom with us.  We appreciate you!  xo

• Estel

Lilah - Did you get your Pollyanna in the mail today?  Does it fit?  Do you like it?  We wanna know details!  Kiss

I ordered a black Pollyanna on clearance and received it today ... I had a white one but the black is so pretty .... I love the blue flowers on it! 

I hope yours fits and you're happy with it! 

• Estel

[[[[[[justagirl]]]]]]] 

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470

Hi Ladies and Val,

I posted a while back (been so busy this summer) about the "back fat" issue. Val you told me to stick with the 34D or even 32DD (that gave me shivers!) Well I am pleased to say that several weeks later after  wearing the Victoria's Secret angels demi bra that they now feel great. Very comfy and great lift and fullness. I hit their annual sale and got 4 bras for me and 2 for daughter at a little over $200. Not to bad. I now have 6 really nice comfy bras. I would like a suggestion on a strapless bra though, any suggestions? I'll try to post some pics on the bra thread of my new finds. Val I will check out the new line you suggested at V/S. As this point I can only wear their unlined bras and not the T-shirt kind because they seem to cut into the implants and leave marks.

Hope everyone is having some fun in the sun and looking great in your bikini tops!

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190

Looking for opinions on when to go to Nordstroms to get sized.  I am five weeks post-exchange.  I realize that there will be changes for a few months, but will that affect the bra size?  I am soooo ready to find some bras that fit better than what I'm using, but don't want to drop lots of money only to find out that they don't fit in 4-6 months.  Unfortunately my insurance won't cover any.  Any thoughts?

• Lilah

Sweetie -- oh please do share photos of the new bras! :)

Dawne -- NOT YET!  I am so annoyed.  The package was supposedly not far away on July 3.  It had better arrive today.  Believe me I will post immediately when I get and try it on.

• MBJ

KSteve:  I wouldn't invest in a lot of bras until at least 2 month out.  I had lots of swelling and fit beautifully in unlined bras which I can no longer wear.  I misstated-I can wear them but no longer have any upper pole fullness so I no longer like the way they look.  I would buy only one or two to get you through and wiat to invest once the swelling goes down.

Val:  Welcome back and I am glad you enjoyed your holiday weekend.  I went to Nordstrom's pre-sale that has Natori, Wacoal, Chantelle, DKNY and Simone La Perle bras on sale--I so cannot fit in any unlined or un padded bras!  My MX side is a full size smaller then my augmented side!  I only look good in fiberfill or padded bras.  Sigh, so much pretty I can't wear!

• Lilah

Wow MBJ -- you really can't tell there is any difference at all from your pictures!  (Both clothed and un- ).

• MBJ

Lilah:  Yeah, my MX side is much smaller and in an unlined bra you can really tell the difference.  Not sure if anything can be done about it.  If I could afford it, I would go to Dr. Khouri in Miami and get more fat put in.

• njbhwgirl
    njbhwgirl Member Posts: 59

Had my exchange in Nov. 2010. I still have not bought new bras.. I am considering going to Nordstroms this week to get fitted. I am probably a 38C. however I have lymphedema on my one side and my underarm and side swells. I am not sure if this will or should be a factor when I am fitted, Does anyone else have this problem?

My PS told me not to wear  underwire for several weeks then I could wear whatever I wanted. I have wide sternum so my implants due tend to hang to the side. I have no cleavage at all.

Any suggestions what type of bra would be good for me?