Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545

Hey so I made my appointment for my Nordstrom fitting today for next Saturday!  I made sure they knew I wanted a surgical fitter and that I had a reconstruction (not needing prothesis).  She even asked me how long it was since my reconstruction because they dont suggest fittings too soon after surgery.....she said 8 weeks was perfect!!!

Yeah!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Sue - Congratulations on your appt!  That is exciting!  Laughing  Keep us posted!!  xo
  • Estel

Val61 & Cameron - And all you other Freya lovers out there!  I've noticed something and I'd like your advice and input. 

I noticed at first months ago when I was on the hunt for Freya Eleanors on ebay ... I saw her by two different names ... an Eleanor Balconette Bra and Eleanor Plunge.  I didn't know enough at the time to really notice.  But I have figured out the generally balconette bras do not work for me. 

I've noticed again in the bras that we love that they offer both a balconette and plunge.  For example:  

The Freya Eloise:  

Eloise Plunge Balconette 4952

Eloise Plunge 4951.  

It's two different bras!

I noticed it again on the Freya Lyla:

Lyla Balconette 4302

Lyla Plunge 4301

My question is:  Val, which shape generally works best for reconstruction, the balconette or the plunge? 

Also ... Cameron, I know you tried the Lyla and she didn't work for you ... do you remember if you tried the plunge or the balconette?  

Just wondering ... I've noticed the two different styles in the same name.  Kind of confusing, huh?  Wondering too what type works best as a general rule, of course.

Thanks!

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

Hello Ladies,

Here's a bra fitting video that may be helpful for you:

http://www.lemystere.com/no9/f​it_video.html 

• redskyatnight

Sorry, the above link is not working. I'll try to re post.

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545
  • redskyatnight

Thanks Sue! I also found Freya's new bra fitting blog/video series. I'll share if I can figure out how to do it, or if you can show me how, Sue. 

• Estel

Thanks for posting the video. 

But just FYI ... The video ... note that it is for AUGMENTED breasts.  The sizing guide they suggest works well for natural and augmented breasts, but not necessarily so well for RECONSTRUCTED breasts. 

RECONSTRUCTED breasts are wider than our natural breasts and we may require a larger cup than the test they suggest in the video.  

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Redsky -- great re: the Anita!  I loved mine and wore it into the ground :)  Hope you love yours too.  And soon enough you will be able to graduate to the big girl, underwire bras (if you wish)!  I must say I like how I look in underwire better.... I get more symmetry (helps with the droopier natural breast) and the styles are sexier.  But even with that said, there are definitely a handful of great wire free bras out there.  Also, fyi, though I did not ever use them... I've heard a LOT of women recommending the wire free Victoria's Secret bras.  If you decide to try them, do let us know!

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166

Hi Ladies!

If the PS recommends wire-free, do you think it is o.k. to take the wires out of a bra to make it wirefree? I guess if we are wearing wire-free, the implants aren't being supported, anyway.  Does this make sense?

• Estel

slinky - I took one of the wires out of my favorite VS bra and wore it that way for awhile.  I think it's probably best not to do that ... but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do!  Wink

I did finally buy a couple of wire free to tie me over until I could wear underwires.  And shhhhhh but I went ahead and starting wearing underwires a little early of the three months my PS told me to not to wear them.  Undecided  When I reached the point that it hurt to NOT wear an underwire is when I thought it was safe to go ahead and do it.  We know our bodies best.  

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Dawne-Hope,

In regards to your questions above, and which ones I've tried:

Okay, I don't know WHY Freya does this; but they separate their bras into 2 categories. One is for cup size GG and larger.  They give size GG and larger a different model number, and they never call them plunge in that size.  Example: Lyla 4302

If I wanted a Lyla, I'd have to order the Lyla 4301, because I'm a 34D!  They usually call them plunge or sometimes balcony plunge, but when you need a GG cup, they usually call them balcony or balconette, never plunge.

IDK why.  But I've asked this same question I think on the pic site...about the Eloise. Val said bigger cups get their own model #.  So it doesn't matter what they call it because you just order whatever cup size you need and don't have to "choose".  I hope this makes sense because it hurts my brain to explain today?

• Cameron

Dawne-Hope Ohhh yeah one more thing:

I have no CLUE why Lyla didn't work for me. It pressed on my sternum hard, and it wasn't even like "hmmmm this may not work" it was more like "hmmm let me try on this new bra...(hook it, twirl it, strappy strappy)...OH NO it's going back".

It's the ONLY Freya that hasn't worked!  I think Lyla runs big in the cup, I don't know for certain, but it would explain why it pressed my sternum: my boobs weren't giving the wires any push-back. And it made me unwilling to TRY Arabella because Lyla is based on Arabella and I've read it tends to run big in the cup, too.

It's ok.  There are lots of Freya's in the sea. 

• Lilah

Slinky -- you absolutely CAN remove wires (if you don't mind doing that to an old bra).  My PS actually suggested it (since I needed wire on my reduction side but not on my implant side).  Her reason, by the way, for wanting me to wait on wires was concern that the wire would rub against internal sutures... as well as concerns about a wire poking through and puncturing the implant (though I think that is HIGHLY unlikely... best defense on that is to keep an eye on the condition of your wired bras). 

• Estel
    Cameron - Thank you!  I do remember that 'conversation' about 'Eloise' now.  It's weird, but it does make sense. 
  • slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166

Thanks Dawnehope and Lilah.  I actually took the wires out of two bras that were $50 each.  My rational is that the band fit so perfectly that I forgot I had them on by the end of the day and I will be wearing them daily until I get the green light for underwires.

Not sure what my new PS will suggest when I get my revision, but I have about 10 bras for whatever he suggests.  My favorites are the Chantelles that I took the wires out of.

• dgmlmax
    dgmlmax Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone. I am new to this as I have not had my surgery yet. It is on Aug. 12th. I read through some of these posts, and my question is after all is said and done, my surgeries completed will I need to wear a special type of bra? I'm having a bilateral mastectomy, with approx size 36 C silicone implants.

Thanks, Dina

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

I had my BMX on May 13th and I'm going in for my exchange on Aug 19th. So far my PS hasn't said anything about bras but I did ask him if I could go braless and he said yes.I was a 38C/D before surgery and I'm going smaller, fullB?small C.

I have a question for all those that bought bras from Fraya or some of the other companies. They all seem to be for those sized D and up or am I just not in the right area of the site?

Barbara

• Lilah

I woke up from surgery wearing a post-surgical bra, provided by my PS both after my MX and after exchange surgery.  Ask your PS whether that will be the case for you -- if not, ask PS what to bring to wear.

• Estel

Some Freya facts I've learned over the last several weeks:

1)  For uni's and others who would like some push-up action (MBJ, I'm thinking of you!)  :)  I've read some great things about the Freya Deco Plunge.  It's lined and made to push the girls up and give cleavage.

2)  I've ordered once from figleaves (UK based site) and yesterday ordered from Lembrassa.com (another UK site) because they had 'Eleanor' on clearance as cheap as I've seen on ebay. 

I've learned over the months to check the clearance on herroom and barenecessities and the same is true for these UK sites.  They're having awesome deals right now! 

Also ... I've noticed that you can get the newer Freya bras for $20 less on these sites than you can on herroom and barenecessities.  Quite significant, IMO.  I've yet to see if Lembrassa.com ... how quickly they will get my order to me, but with figleaves it was within 10 days of ordering.  For example ... Freya "Keisha" which is soooo pretty .... on herroom $64.  On figleaves ...$44.  And it's only $5 to ship on figleaves.  It's worth checking out the UK sites ... they are quite a lot cheaper! 

So .... just thought I'd share my recent knowledge with you ladies!  Wink  

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Dawne-Hope - Yet ANOTHER reason to embrace things British!  Wink   I saw your question about bra styles the other day, then noticed that Cameron had pretty much answered.  I'd like to say there's a "perfect style" for reconstructed breasts, but I really can't; there's just too much individual variability.  Take that Freya "Deco Plunge" for example.  I tried that bra probably 6 months after my exchange when my sister got one and declared it perfection (she didn't get the flat chest gene like me); it was horrible- gaped like crazy, even when I tried a smaller cup size.   Fast forward to last year's Ta Ta Sisterhood trip to Vegas and our assault on Nordstrom's.  One of the women, very similarly sized to me (I think her implants are 450's, though), tried the Deco (at the fitter's suggestion) and it fit perfectly.  I tried it, and it didn't work, so when I came home, I ordered a smaller cup size;  no go once again.  Moral of the story, we can't have everything we want.....Laughing

Dina - Welcome to the wonderful world of Bras 101!  We are sorry that you are about to join the bmx club, but we're happy to help you however we can!  (in other words, we can help you with other topics besides bras since we've all been through it!)   All PS's are different, as Cameron and others already mentioned, but in general you won't need any special kind of bra unless your PS tells you so.  During your TE's, which I'm assuming you'll have placed at the time of you bmx, you don't wear a bra - a little cami or a bralette will suffice.  After your exchange, depending on your PS's preferences, that's when the bras come into play.  Please let us know how we can help, and we'll be thinking of you on Aug. 12th!

DocBabs - Welcome, to you, too!  Wow......you had a VERY quick expansion period!  As for the braless issue, many PS's say you can go braless.  However, you may discover that you need the support of a bra to be comfortable; the implants - even in small sizes - can feel heavy.  There's also the issue of implant migration, which can be greatly minimized by wearing bras.  Ultimately, you'll choose what's best for you, and if we can help you out, please ask!             

You are correct in noting that Freya  - and other companies like Panache and Fantasie - are designed for larger cup sizes.  That's just their focus.  Other companies specialize in smaller cup sizes - like Itty Bitty Bra Co and Olga (my former sources when I didn't buy in the little girls' department).   Chances are that after your exchange, you'll at least be wearing a C-cup.  Most of us wear D's or DD's, but to look at us we look more like full B's and C's.  That's just the way implants work - at least the round style. 

Ladies, I wish you all a wonderful week!  Stay as cool as you can - we're vying for Dallas' longest stretch of 100+ degree days (42), and it looks like we'll beat that the end of this week!.Cool

• Estel

I.need.help.

I'm just confessing it to you all.  Take away my computer and no more bra shopping for me, until Christmas at least.  I just bought more bras!  Most on sale, but my word, ladies ... I don't NEED any more!  I just can't stop.  Tongue out

Take away my computer, throw away the key.

First step is to acknowledge the problem and so I come to my fellow bra-aholics and say yes, I have a problem.  Help.Me.  LOL!    Tongue outUndecidedWink

• Cameron

Dawne-Hope:

uhhhh....clearly I can't help you.  And did you buy Freya? Fantasie? Do tell.

Also, can you please post plenty o' pics when you receive said bras. I especially like a close-up shot to showcase unique fabric, ribbon, rosettes, bows, lace, picot trim, fancy straps, cup design, pom-poms, pixie dust, rainbows, and unicorns.   

The ONLY thing that calms my bra buying urge is to pretend I'll lose weight and need 32DD instead of 34D.  But then I eat a cookie and chase it with an eBay search for Freya 34D.

MY problem is, I use bra shopping DIRECTLY as a means of procrastination towards anything useful. I am, in effect, rewarding my lazy a$$ with pretty new bras.

Okay I give up now.  Time to shower and choose WHICH Freya wants to be worn today. I think maybe Eleanor.  My new olive colored Eleanor! I also bought the white one, gorgeous. Although pistachio is still my fave.  I will post pics later. 

There is a bright side: with this many bras in the rotation, they'll look pretty and new FOREVER.  I mean, we can't help it if we're REALLY GOOD at finding deals on European bras.  We're gifted.  

• islandmom
    islandmom Member Posts: 131

Dawne-Hope:  I think this is the wong place to get help with your bra addiction.  It is like going into a bar and asking for tips on how to stop drinking.  Anyway, what did you get? 

Cameron:  I made the exact observation bra shopping = procrastination for me.  I can really burn time on Ebay.  You know you have a problem when you recognize new items in your bra size.  If you go to a 32DD we will be bidding against each other LOL. 

• Lilah

LOL you ladies crack me up.  But I confess I did go bra shopping after readng your "help" post Dawne (but I refrained from actually making a purchase so far)... window shopping I guess.  It IS fun having pretty things.

• Dawne-hope, You have to keep shopping and posting for those of use that are still in these horrible TEs are living vicariously through your purchses!  Please do show and tell.

Liz

• Estel

LOL!  Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!  I just needed to confess to those who 'get it.'  A couple of my friends who do know about my bra collection kind of cock their head sideways like, "Really?"  No understanding or compassion whatsoever!  Tongue out  You all get it and I just needed a little 'encouragement.'  LOL!  Kiss

I bought all Freyas.  I bought a red and pistachio "Eleanor.'  And an old Freya "Carolyn" that I haven't seen anywhere else.  Lots of pretty flowers!  Smile  I finally caved on the "Keisha" and "Sophia" ... those $40 prices were too much for me and figleaves is having a 20% sale on top of it!    Too much for this girl!  I have needed a 30band in a nude or white that I can wear until white shirts ... and I bought the new "Lacey" ... that one may be my answer to my white shirt problem.  

Thanks, ladies!  My mom would have gotten a kick out of all of this ... and she's not here ... so thank for you understanding and being here!  Laughing  

And Cameron, I love the way you think!  Smile

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

Thank Cindy. I have repeatedly told my PS that I want to go SMALLER, that means a full B to me and I've said those exact words. I have only been filled to 420ccs so that seems about right. If I need a D I'm going to be very unhappy.

Barbara

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Today starts my 3rd week at SOMA and guess what - I haven't bought a single bra or panty!

One of my training assignments the other day was to try on different styles and make notes on them. That was fun. I also found out that if I make it 90 days I will get 2 bras gratis and 3 panties.

Want to go somewhere and try on some Freyas as they are really pretty, but the only place in town that they sell them has less than satisfactory customer service. They are just rude to people unless they think you have money or live in the correct part of town. I will wait to go somewhere they have Freyas or buy at her room and return if necessary..

Happy bra buying everyone!