Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

DocBabs - Please don't get hung up on bra size.  I have 325cc implants, wear a D cup but have the projection of a B cup.  Reconstructed breasts are wider than natural breasts, thus we need a larger cup size but you won't have the projection you had with natural breasts. 

Delilahbear - What self-control!  Laughing  Yah for gratis!  Go ahead and buy at herroom, they are great with returns if you're not happy!  

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Go delilahbeqr! So glad you are liking the job! Boo to the snooty Freya sellers; how dare they?! Everybody deserves the opportunity for well-fitting,beautiful bras!

Dawn-Hope- sorry......no help for you here.....we are definitely enablers.....:)

Cameron- LOVE my Eleanors! I think I have the complete color spectrum, too.....thanks to a sweet friend...:). She's definitely my second love after Pollyanna! And besides, she was the bra my PS used in his "bra fitting" info he gives his patients. Can't get better endorsement than that!

DocBabs- please don't get hung up on bra size! Reconstructed "foobs" look MUCH smaller (especially in terms of projection) than the size bra they need! Just look at my avatar; no way do I look like a DD......maybe a C....... You want implants with enough width, otherwise it looks like tennis balls on chest.

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

Val61,

You've got me laughing over here in Australia. Ha, my implants sure don't look like tennis balls on my chest.  Rather, they look like two ping pong balls!  At least I have had minimal discomfort and my pec muscles don't seem to mind.  Guess the thing is nothing will ever look like my original breasts..........

Since I'm 5 months out from having  my DMX I often don't wear a bra unless I am running or exercising.  I find any band around my chest under my breasts painfull where the drain tubes came out.  I have been buying  soft camisoles to wear (cotton or silk, no polyester)  under my clothes while all the rest of you have been buying delicious decadent lacy bras.

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

Dawne-hope and Val61, I don't think I'm hung up on bra size but I am definately hung up on the fact that I want to be smaller. I don't understand what projection means. If you wear a DD I can invision the amount of "tissue" it takes to fill that size cup.They only way I can explain it is that I know how full my breats were and I want them to be less full. How can a DD fit into a B? What am I missing here?

Barbara

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

DocBabs - listen to Val and Dawne - I was barely an A and wanted to go a bit bigger but not a DD.  The implants are just wide - I have 450cc implants and look like a B or small C,but wear a 32 DD - when I tell my friends what size I wear they don't believe it because I don't look like I would be a DD.

Sooo don't go too small or too big!!  Your PS should be able to help decide what size looks good for you!! 

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245
    I'll chime in here on the size/bra discussion.  I was a solid 34D before BMX.  I bought a soft cup bra today and I needed a 32D.  I definitely don't look like a D cup in my clothes.  The implants are definitely wider than a real breast and it takes the extra material to contain them.  I can only wear smooth fabric bras.  All the molded cups are more conical shaped and I don't fill out the tip of that cup.  I could not find a 32D at the store I went to, so I compromised with a 34D. I have it set on the smallest hook and bought it out of desperation.  I am headed to a city this weekend, so I can get fitted by a store that carries smaller band sizes and more options for us little gals with wide implants.Kiss
  • dizzyakira
    dizzyakira Member Posts: 41

Great thread! I have my exchange tomorrow and this is so helpful and reduces quite a bit of my stress and anxiety. I was a 32AA before and asked for a A/B. From reading here now I know why my PS said not to focus on the size but on how I look in a tight white tshirt. thanks ladies!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Westieluv -- it sounds like you know exactly the type of bra that works best for you (not molded, 32D, etc) and so you COULD actually do really well ordering bras from the internet.  And at 32D you probably could buy some very nice ones for very little on clearance (of course if you buy on clearance you can't return them usually -- so for those you might want to buy brands/styles that you know fit you).  Sites like herroom.com and barenecessities.com have very good return policies so that you can order and return what you don't like/doesn't fit.  Not as immediately gratifying as going to a store, trying and buying... but you get a better selection in your size!

• Lizardbeth1968
    Lizardbeth1968 Member Posts: 4

My BS told me I'd never have to wear a bra again.  Weird how we all get different information. I'm hoping to go from a D to a B, myself.

When you guys say the implants are wider, they are not as wide as the TE's are they? My TE's seem to actually wrap all the way across the underneath of my arm pit. Anyone else have that? It's very tender.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

My, this thread has been busy!  Just got back from vacation and there are too many posts to catch up on!

Val:  Love your new avatar!

Dawn-Hope:  Congrats on your anniversary!  Thank you so much for thinking about me when you see bras that might work.  Fully padded are the only ones that can make up for the cup size--foam cups exagerate the difference, even in a push up. 

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

Okay, kick me if I am dumb but the question is:

are there any bras made specifically for women with implants after a DMX, which takes into consideration needing a wide soft but firm band at the base and soft yet supportive cups that hug the 'hamburger' shape rather than being the usual cone shape?  Also would need a supplemental insert panel to put in a filler if implants are not even.  I don't wish for much do I?

• ALittleBitBritish
    ALittleBitBritish Member Posts: 415

Any last minute advice when bra shopping for the first time after surgery 8/1? I am going to Nordstrom's to get measured, I really hope I find something that fits and hold them together!! I will avoid the underwires for awhile till I heal more..

Thank you,

Alison  

• val61

Hey, my sweet bra-buddies! Crazy week -teaching extra barre classes, so I'm a bit behind on the thread. I promise to properly answer all your questions tomorrow! And a big thanks to those of you who piped in and already helped our new ladies!

Off to bed now for some much-deserved sleep!

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54

Lizardbeth1, I have the same "problem" with my expanders, especially the left one.It does go into my axilla.I lay in bed and push the side so that the breast fills up nicely then I let go and it all runs out to the side  making the center a bit flat. It's getting more and more pronounced. Thank goodness the exchange is in 8 days.My right breast is hamburger bun shaped( actually a very descriptive phrase,thank you to whoever came up with it) and very hard. I'm a right handed tennis player so I think the muscle is more developed on that side and a bit more resistant to stretching. Aside from feeling like I have rocks on my chest, especially when my muscle is in spasm, I have no real pain.I did have a lot of pain after surgery but PT almost from the first session helped greatly.I guess from your surgery date that you're still in the expansion phase. Continued good healing vibes are coming towards you!

Barbara

• val61

ALittleBitBritish - Hey, Alison!  When choosing a bra post-exchange, there is really only one phrase you need to remember:

"KEEP THEM IN AND UP!"        

(the implants, that is.....)

Smile

• val61

Justagirl - now YOU have me laughing all the way over here!  (where believe it or not, it looks like it might rain for the first time since early June.....and we were only ONE day away from tying the record for most consecutive 100+ degree days, too.....)    Ping-Pong balls.....love it!   But for me, I'm beyond thankful that my new chest bears no resemblence to my original one!    As for your bra idea, it's fantastic!  My son is currently a physics major with plans to be a mechanical engineer.  I'm thinking that together we could create one heck of a bra.......too bad he really only cares about racecars.....

dizzyakira - Sorry I was late to wish you good luck on your exchange!  Hope everything went well yesterday!  I was smaller than a 32AA before BC, so I'm anxious to compare stories!

lizardbeth - Yes, just like I said the other day, many PS's do say you'll never have to wear a bra again. However, we still have to worry about implant migration, not to mention comfort, so most of us end up wearing bras, especially during those initially critical 3-4 months post-exchange.  Of course, some of us are a bit obsessive.......and no, I'm not saying names......and still wear an underwire bra 24/7....... Kiss

• Estel
    obsessive ,,, did someone say obsessive?  WinkTongue outLaughing
  • westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

Ok.  Bra shopping success.  I ended up with a  Wacoal sport, a Modern Movement and a Lunaire.  I tried 32D but felt more comfortable in the 34DD.  Boy these foobies are wide!  Kept the 34DDs.

I am donating my Bali 34D bras to my niece along with a suitcase full of pre BC bras from VS that I can no longer wear.  Nothing VS had would fit me.  I hated that.  I wanted matching panties.

Do you all remember when I obsessed that I wouldn't be very big again?  How dumb was I.  My PS is a foob fairy.  One is slightly larger than the other, but it was that way pre BC, so I am not complaining.

I will start ordering on-line now that I know what size is best. Thanks Lilah for the suggestions!

• Lilah

Beth -- you're welcome!  And if you want matching panties and pretty bras, investigate the Freya brand.  Make sure you check to be sure the sizing is equivalent (I think 34DD is the same for them but double check -- they are British so some of their number/letter sizes are not the same as American ones of same size).

• ALittleBitBritish
    ALittleBitBritish Member Posts: 415

Had a great day shopping in Nordstrom's yesterday, was measured and bought a stack of new underwear!!! Hooray, great to have bra's that fit the new me!!

Thanks everyone for Bra's 101! Laughing 

• Estel

westieluv - Congratulations on shopping success!  Don't be surprised if your size varies depending on brand and style.  And oh, matching undies!  Freya, Natori, Wacoal, ... the list is endless ... matching undie heaven!  Cool  Don't despair, Westie ... they've got you covered!  Laughing

ALittleBitBritish - Woo hooo for a great day shopping at Nordies!  Now you can order on ebay since you know your size!  

I'm still waiting on my orders from figleaves and lembrassa.  Should have received some today ... but no.  I'll post when I get them.  I want them now!  Tongue out

• val61

Yay for the successful bra shopping adventures of westieluv and ALittleBitBritish!   Starting the day with a pretty new bra just makes you feel a bit more special!

Guess what?  I just discovered that Freya has a Facebook page!  (of course, Cameron, you probably already knew that!)  So, for those of you on FB, check it out.

I was at Nordie's today exchanging some jeans and of course had to swing through the lingerie department!   I got to see the Freya "Lacey" in person and it is CUTE!  They also had "Jolie" in pink bubblegum that is BRIGHT!  Sadly, Nordies' buyers do not purchase Freya's in my size, so I must purchase elsewhere, but it was still fun to check them out!

Speaking of bras.......and matching knickers......westieluv, do not despair!   If you want matching panties for bras, a good source is http://www.herroom.com/     If a bra has matching undies, then it's offered on the same page.  Additionally, sometimes the fitter's comments for specific bras include panties that will match, especially Hanky Panky (which is my personal favorite).  

• Estel

BareNecessities also has a FB page.  As does Linda the Bra Lady ... she also has a Twitter account.

val - I've ordered the Lacey ... I'm glad she's pretty in person!  I've never tried on "Jolie" but bright pink sounds super cute!   

• Nordstroms blew away analysts projections and is up 20%. I am sure it is from all the bra loving ladies keep it up single handedly you can turn around our slumping economy

• val61

Love it, Liz! 

• dizzyakira
    dizzyakira Member Posts: 41

Thanks Val,

My exchange went well, I can't wait for everything to look almost normal and togo bra shopping.

You were smaller than a 32AA? We might have been similiar sizes. I have never filled out my super padded VS bras lol.

i don't know what type of implants I have but I peeked under my bandages and the projection doesn't seem much different than my original breasts. But they look wider and longer. Still a misshapen ball of flesh :(. Hoping they look better in a few months.

Kim

• Estel

Kim - They will look better in a few months, really!  Smile  Wider is the norm.  Waiting is the hard part ... but one thing is certain ... they will change!  xo

Need help with bras ... we've gotcha covered!  Wink

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Val, I love how you use that Chris Cleave quote in your bio! I've read the last couple of pages here and I see that many of us are still a wee bit bra obsessed.   A few weeks ago I watched the bra fitting video that Nordstrom has on its website, and I laughed out loud when the narrator said that a woman should own three good bras.  I now devote an entire drawer to my bras, and I have a rough time closing it!  FYI, here is the URL: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-bras-fit

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Kristinka, LOLabout Nordstrom's saying you need 3 bras. I work at Soma part time and they teach us to let customers know they need 4 ( 1 to wear, 1 to wash, and 2 to rest). Of coiurse they also say you need a T-Shirt, racerback, everyday, sports, strapless and sexy for a complete wardrobe. I am with you - have a drawer with only bras and every color they make in my favorite SOMAs. Can't wait until I've been there a few months and get 2 free bras and 3 or 4 panties.

• Lilah

LOL Delilahbear... and you know I just checked out their website.  They have some mighty pretty stuff!  Have you decided which one will be your choice for your first freebies?