Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

Lilah, I am hoping to get fipples this year but need an adjustment surgery on my LD implant next month and am going to see if the PS will make the fips at the same time.  Then tattooing.  I'm going all the way............... then I still don't know if I am brave enough to show off.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Well I hope you will become comfortable enough not to care if he sees or not :)

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

westieluv - I have had bras roll up under the cup. Usually they are "banded" type that have that extra fabric right under the cups and are frequently wire-free. My belly is a bit larger and the area between under the foobs and top of abs is a bit flabby and causes the band to roll up when I wear it and on a few bras the elastic in the band is rolled and even washing doesn't seem to help straighten it out. I suppose you can "iron" it, but that is not good for the fabric, so you might just want to look for another bra style that doesn't have that "band". Just my 2 cents worth.

• westieluv
    westieluv Member Posts: 245

I really want to go to a wired bra.  I think my foobs are moving outward because of a lack of lateral support.  Can anyone weigh in on why it is unadvisable to go to underwire?

• Lilah

Beth -- some PS's insist on underwires immediately (like Val's) others, like mine, say to wait... in my case my PS said to wait because she was worried about the wires rubbing against inner sutures and also worried about wires poking into the implant (which is numb) and damaging skin and implant without my knowing.  I switched to implants at 8 months post exchange because I was sick of wire free.  I haven't told my PS yet LOL.  But since she said "not forever" I decided 8 months was long enough. 

• gapeach
    gapeach Member Posts: 1

i have my exchange surgery in mid September and have had a really hard time finding a bra. I have bought and returned several and have been so frustrated. I did find a bra that Spanx makes called bra-llelujah. It has no underwire and front closure with a wide comfie elastic back. It may be worth trying!

• Lilah

Both Anita and Chantelle make very comfy wire free bras.  That Bra-lleluyah bra is also nice!  But if I recall its a molded cup (which I am not a fan of -- though a lot of ladies really like the molded cups).

• Delilahbear

My PS is not a fan of underwire bras. I think it is mostly because the BS uses the breast reduction technique for the mastectomy where a vertical incision is made from where the nipples and areolas are removed down to the inframammary fold and then the IMF incision goes from breast bone to underarms. The underwires can then rub on the scars and be uncomfortable and irritate, especially in the early stages. In my case, I have way bigger implants than he originally put in (I pitched a fit until I got larger ones) and my scars are a bit farther up on the lower pole of the breast than IMF area so wires don't rub them. I began to wear underwires at about a year out from second exchange surgery. PS and BS have both checked fit of underwires and PS reluctantly agreed that I could wear the ones I have. I sleep in them and find they are the only really support and comfort for the foobs. I work at Soma and have tried some of their wirefree and don't think they give enough support. My only other wirefree are several mastectomy bras (one of which has a band underneath which rolls up).

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545

My Chantelle IS a very comfy non wired bra that really keeps the breasts apart well.  My PS wanted me out of wires for months and months but my new PS says its fine.  I had an augment so one of my incisions was an IMF incision.  That would be why no wires.  New PS suggested a soft wired bra or one that has a thicker, soft covering over the wire to start with.

• westieluv

I have a whole suitcase full of pre BMX bras.  I am going to go thru it to see if any of my old flex underwires will fit me.  All the rest are going to my neice.  She is 17 and can use my VS bras.

It's time to give them up and learn to live with the foobs....they are just different.  Not bad, but just fit in a bra differently.

• westieluv
    hillck ~ I had lat flap so there are incisions for an IMF, but I am 5 months out from that surgery and I have no irritation with that incision line at all.  I will try Wacoal and see if I can find something that is comfortable.  Thanks for your input!
  • Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

Please excuse me if someone already answered this but I don't have time right now to go through all the pages.

Has anyone tried the "Genie Bra" that I see advertised on TV? If so how did it work for you?

• westieluv

Cindy,

I bought a bra today.  I am about to take a photo and post it on the pic site where we feature bras for Val's or Dawne Hope's opinion.  Tags still attached!

I am going to St Louis again on Thursday, so maybe another attempt to buy a wacoal underwire.  I have to try them on.  I find that in wacoal I need a 34DD and in other bras a 34D.  Can this be right?

• Lilah

Beth -- I wear a lot of Wacoals and I find that in some styles I wear 38DD and other Wacoals I wear a 38D.  Not sure why.  I say: wear what feels supportive and comfy!

FYI -- that bra thread is mine and exists mainly for the fun of comparing and sharing new bras :)  But Val and Dawnehope (and just about anyone who is bra obsessed) will be happy to give you an opinion on fit if you ask!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

CoolI'M BACK!!!!

You all did a fantastic job of looking out for each other, as I knew you would!  Sounds like I need to get over to the pic forum to check out all the new bra posts!  

Beth - Even lat flap girls can wear underwires - eventually - that is, unless your PS says no.  I'd try one, and if the wires irritate your incisions, then wait another month or two. And don't worry about cup size; there's a good deal of difference between manufacturers.  That's why so many of us spend as much time returning bras as buying them!   

One thing that I've learned in the past almost two years (my initial exchange was Sept '09), is that even people with identically sized implants can wear different cup sizes. So, it really does require a good bit of 'research" to find the right brand/fit.  When you find it, though, it will be worth all your effort!

chiluver - Welcome!  I personally haven't tried the Genie bra, but I'd be really surprised if it worked as well as it promises, but you never know until you try!  I must admit, though, those commercials are quite intriguing......  Let us know if you decide to give one a try!

I'm off to clean my dreamhouse now.......and buy some groceries to feed my Ken (which honestly is my dh's middle name).......but alas I'll have to travel in my SUV.......Kiss

• redskyatnight
    redskyatnight Member Posts: 80

Val, I have a question for you about the Bendon max out sports bra. I ordered one in my size- 34d- and it puckers at the nips, but the wires fit around my implants. I am disappointed as I know it is highly recommended. Do you think a 34c would correct the problem or a 32d? Or, maybe it just is not the right bra for me? Can you recommend another good high impact sports bra alternative? Thanks so much!

• Lilah

LOL Val (dreamhouse and ken) -- welcome back!  We missed you!

• Delilahbear

hillck - Glad you like Soma. I work there part time. Just got my 2 gratis bras. Pretty Alura, which is contoured and did not think I could wear. It is purple with white lace and a black Alura convertable which gives several strap configurations and strapless. I wore the strapless with a camisole and it is comfy. Next week we get a good discount on anything in the store. I have to watch that I don't spend more than I make, which is very easy to do -- LOL! Will post my pics soon. Have to get DH to get them taken.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Redsky - The Bendon Max Out does the same thing on me...there is room at the tip of the cup. It still is my favorite work out bra. Most bras fit that way on me. I wear a compression bra over the bendon. How did it feel on? That's the most important thing...do you feel supported when you wear it? Jump around the house with it on & test it out. I'd be concerned going down a cup size...where the wires would land in relation to the implants.

• Delilahbear

hillck - yes the Soma cami bras are lined, slightly contoured cups with lace over them. One has a smooth front with lace at top for under closer fitting clothing. I have found that they do not fit my reconstructed body very well. The DD is too big in the cups and and C and D wires don't encompass the implants. I wore my purple allura today all day at work and it was comfortable, but I really like my unlined or non-contoured better. The gratis bras had to be ones we would not normally purchase and wear so we could talk to customers better. Of course everyone has different situations and what fits one might not another. My implants are the moderate profile plus so are wider than others which is why the camis probably don't work.

• Lilah

I went to The Rack today.  Slim pickings on bras.  I did get to try some other sizes... 36 looks like my size now due to weight loss (I tried a 36E and a 36DD... the latter fit well, the E was a little loose in the cups).  But here I am with a ton of 38s.  Guess I'll just notch those babies up and stop buying new 38s.  It's a problem I can live with :)

Hillck -- wish there was a "like" button here for "I always do what Val says"!

• SuebeeBC

i JUST posted a photo of the SOMA CAMI and the SOMA HOLLY on the Bra thread.

Just FYI

• Lilah

Sue -- both are gorgeous on you!

• SuebeeBC

Aww thanks, Lilah.  I have to report that the Holly has a little bit of padding in the bottom of the cup and it is a molded and slightly padded style.  If you have any issues of unevenness or, like me, lack nipple projection on one side only, this is completely hidden in this bra.  The down side is that it was a little uncomfy by the end of the day.  NOT like my Betsy Johnsons.  It also has become a VERY popular style with Soma so they had to go in the back and hunt for a 32D for me.  Soma does NOT carry 30s in store (that I could see) and do not carry 32Ds in every style.  Their prettiest bras started at 34.  Boo.

The Cami style, while gorgeous, its not very practical...you can do the same thing with a lace cam and any bra.  So I think I will return it.  But I will report that there is no extra padding but the cups are molded and lined.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Lilah: If any of your bras are from Nordstroms they can alter it for you!  I forget what it costs but they offered this service to me.

• Lilah

Oh that is cool MBJ -- I didn't know that!  I didn't buy the bras I tried on today... but it was fun shopping.  I went to look for bras and left with three new tops LOL.  They were having some sort of end of summer clearance -- great prices.  I just wish the bra selection had been better for my size.  You gals who wear 32 - 34 c - d really do make out like bandits at these places!  There were tons of bras in THAT size.  38D?  Not so much.  I was glad to know I could fit 36 DD comfortably.  I tried on a blue Chantelle that was a perfect fit in that size... but eh I didn't really want a blue bra.  Anyway I have two bras coming from Lembrassa and I think they are sitting at the P.O. waiting for me!  There was a notice when I got home today... so excited!  It must be my bras!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Can't wait to see your new bras Lilah!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I cannot wait to see them either, lilah! Although my computer is in the shop & I cannot access the pic forum until I get it back. Can't wait!

Redsky -there is a picture on my thread in the pic forum with the bendon ifyou'd like to see what it looks like on me...and yes, there is puckering at the tip of the cups. I've tried lululemon "tata tamer" freya non underwire workout bra, donna karen underwire work out bra & with all of them there was alittle extra room at the cup & the bendon is still my favorite.

• val61
    redsky - Don't worry - the Bendon Max Out does the same to me......little folds across where the nipple/aerola complex would be.  But you know what?  It really doesn't bother me - and I'm wearing them under snug workout tops AND facing the classes that I teach.  The only other bra that I wear - and I really do love it, it's just not underwire (which is my preference) - is the Ta Ta Tamer by lululemon. Here's a blog on it that describes it well: http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/why-we-love-the-tata-tamer-ii/   It also can X-back (unless you're really long from shoulder to foob), which is nice.  I really wouldn't try to go down a cup size in the Bendon - or any other underwire bra just to solve the nip-pucker issue; the wires will be too small and cut into the lateral aspects of the implants. 
  • val61

hillck - Love you, girl!  (You, too, Lilah!)   I feel so honored......Smile

Love the info that Nordies will alter bras!  I did that myself to the Warner's Elements of Bliss bra that my PS put me in when he pulled my drains.  Warners doesn't make any smaller than 34 - Boo to them, too! - so sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.  No doubt Nordies alteration department does a far superior job than did I!

Still haven't made it over to the pic forum to check on everyone's new pics, but I promise to do so soon!   My b-day is this weekend - a big one, I might add - so I'm already celebrating with "pampering appointments".  All this beauty stuff sure does take a lot of time........Kiss