Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Comments

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796

Lady: forgot to mention this!!!!  The love of my television life, Dr. Oz, talked about grays on his show last week.  They talked about "chlorella" as a supplement to bind this non-essential amino acid to that "thing" and so then, just like with plants, chlorella will maintain your hair color etc...!   I don't know but the bottom line is they said that is the answer.  Something to consider!!!  

I almost posted on "husband's proposition" and just got off of that thread ASAP as I thought of you, Lady!  What I really wanted to say?!  What I really wanted to say...I can't even type on this site!  Sel-centered, greedy, a-hole men looking for entertainment for their penis, in perpetuity, and at all costs with absolutely no concern for anyone in their wake.  Have I told you all lately I am very, very, very happy I never got married?!?!?   Her freakin' breasts are trying to kill her and he is upset b/c she was not putting on enough of a "show of interest" during sex.  Makes me so very, very sick.  

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Lizzy, I am married 34 years and I am amazed at how crass and selfish some men are. Mine is actually very considerate.

You know they these clueless guys could go in the bathroom and take care of it very easily. My childhood BF's husband left her when she had BC in her mid twenties, on the day of her fathers wake!  The guy had NO character whatsoever! My first husband was terrible if I was ill, poor him!

Grrrr. 

Ginger

• 1WonderWoman

Ginger: there are some great men out there but I find it nothing short of despicable these boards are *littered* with stories about this kind of treatment, separation, divorce all over this?  Seriously?  

I am glad you have someone totally supportive and who is good to you.   They are out there and are truly a find.   My heart breaks for these women who are dealing with a huge helping of their own mortality and then in walk these jokers with their nonsense.  Right about the bathroom.  Their complaining about this is the equivalent of being stuck on an escalator!!!!!

Good day, woman!   

• 1WonderWoman

Good day, warriors!

I hope you all have a Happy Easter, Passover or, if celebrating nothing, just have a nice weekend Smile

• Well, thank you Lizzy for introducing me to bok choy!  I picked some up today at the produce warehouse - I had no idea how to cook it, but I threw some in olive oil with garlic through my garlic press -- I cut up the bok choy and just let it steam in it - threw in some sea salt and turmeric and it's an awesome dinner! :D  I'll be doing this a lot more often! :)

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993

Cal: Olive oil and garlic are good on everything!

Happy Easter all!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

I do the same with swiss chard, a little olive oil and water in the pan, let it cook for a bit covered then season.  Love it, use the stalks and all.  Also love those skinny green beans.  I boil them for a few minutes, drain, then saute them in olive oil and salt/pepper with sesame seeds (lots).  I get the raw sesame seeds in bulk at sunflower market and they get toasty in the olive oil.  Just yummy.

On the other hand, I made the mean green juice this morning that had kale, cucumber, celery, ginger and lemon - well it didn't taste very good at all. 

• 1WonderWoman

Omaz: the kale juicing is gross but, eureka, I found a solution!  I did actually try doing "shots" of that juice followed by salt and lemon, just as I have done thousands of shots of tequila!  Well, it works.  Gone is the dread of that juice and now is the fun, before bed, of doing a shot or 2 of bok choy-carrot juice followed by salt and lemon.  I actually look forward to it now! 

As for kale and chard, I would encourage you all to just cut it up and put in salad.  I love that chard and kale, raw, right in my salad.  It is really good.  I, too, eat the chard "stalks!"  The rainbow chard looks mighty pretty in those salads!

Calamtykel: I am sure you already looked up some info on bok choy but, and just so you know, the white part can be eaten as well.  It takes, of course, longer to cook than the leaves so you just the white parts 3 or 4 minutes before you add the leaves.  

Right now I am making grilled asparagus!  It is my fav recipe and I love asparagus.  Marinate the asparagus with 3 tbsp balsamic, the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1-2 tbsp of lite soy sauce.   Leave it in the fridge for 30+ minutes, spray the grill w/cooking spray and cook it right on the grill.  It is delicious!  I am actually doing it under the broiler tonight which is also an option.  The temps are going from 60 during the day to 30 at night!  I am not going outside to grill!  

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333

Hi,

Just wanted to drop in and say hi and wish everyone a Happy Easter (or Passover) !! My Caitlin turned 5 yo on Thursday. She is so proud of herself. She has a cold and asked me if her voice sounded different because she was older,lol. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Yummy, not sure about bok choy but love asparagus. I agree Lady, I can eat most things if they're cooked in garlic and olive oil;-) I am glad girl scout cookie season is almost over -I just cannot resist those samoas. They set up stands outside the stores here too. I ran to Quickcheck b/c the kids wanted grilled cheese but we were out of cheese. I came back w/ coffee (decaf) and 4 boxes of cookies. Dh said where's the cheese -oops. He said he might as well have sent the kids;-)

Carolyn

• omaz

Hi Carolyn!!!

Lizzy - That asparagus sounds great! 

• 1WonderWoman

Omaz: the asparagus *was* great!   Last time I had it cooked that way was before Christmas.

Ckptry: perhaps it was a Freudian slip but you made the right choice with the massive cookie purchase!  After about 40 cookies those kids will be like "grilled what?!"  Good to hear from you.  Have a nice Easter

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. This weekend is full of family visits and dinners..already feeling stuffed and still one day to go! Had a root canal done last week...wasn't as bad as I expected and thankfully, I can now eat on that side of my mouth! Now I am done with any Doc appointments until August. I had a physical scheduled with my GP next week but decided to push it out as I just finished up with both my onco appts---I want a break from Docs for a bit! Friends asked us to go on a cruise with them next May..l.i think this is the first time in 2 years that I feel comfortable trying to plan something far in advance. I guess cancer is finally taking a back seat!

• omaz
    Hi rachel - A cruise sounds nice, where to?
  • 1WonderWoman

Rachel: good to hear from you!   Have a nice holiday weekend.  BTW, I feel the same about making vaca plans.  Every year I do a week in FL w/a good friend (he owns a house) but have not recently and now it is actually back on for this year!  My bf and I are also planning a cruise, just a 4 day out of NY however.  Quite frankly I don't even care where it is going!  As long as the price is right, I am there!

Artichokes: can you all tell the farmer's markets are open again?!  I am making veg lasagna to take bring tomorrow but the artichokes have nothing to do with this..I digress!  I just steamed an artichoke and I peel and eat the leaves down to the heart, scoop out the fuzz and enjoy that heart!  Oh..I am so grateful for these markets being open again! 

• Gingerbrew

Wow so many here today! Happy Easter or Passover to all.

DGD said  "Knock"

DD            "Who's there?"

DGD         "Cow"

DD            "Cow who?"

DGD         "Moo"

DGD is 19 mo old. :) 

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527

Happy Easter!

It is a beautiful Spring day here, I love it.  We are going to go for a family walk in the arboretum soon.  Little bit of a sad memory attached, as this is the time of year two years ago that I had just started the process of seeing my doctors about the lump.  I was pretty sure I had cancer, but not certain that Easter.  But I remember wondering as we walked in the arboretum that day, if I would be there the next year.  Well, I am and for that I am very grateful!  I enjoy these beautiful days even more now and I am so glad to have had you guys all along the way.  I hope everyone i having great weather today and has a day to enjoy and treasure with their loved ones!

Debbi

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895

just wanted to drop in and say hi. i am very burnt from going to the beach- did not reapply sunblock.

hey carolyn :)

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413

OMG Ginger that is priceless!  When my daughter was about 2 she took her turn at charades, went up front, stood there and said "wibbit" (as in ribbit, what a frog says).  Cutest damn thing.  She now understands charades!  (c:

• AnnietheRealtor
    AnnietheRealtor Member Posts: 4

I read that apple seeds contain rhaposomes, found only in healthy human cellos never in cancer cells and that if you are throwing in a normal amount of apple (say 1 whole apple per serving glass) along with your other juices, that this is very beneficial and nowhere near toxic. Such confusing information out there.

• AnnietheRealtor
    AnnietheRealtor Member Posts: 4

I read that apple seeds contain rhaposomes, found only in healthy human cellos never in cancer cells and that if you are throwing in a normal amount of apple (say 1 whole apple per serving glass) along with your other juices, that this is very beneficial and nowhere near toxic. Such confusing information out there.

• Gingerbrew

Annie, are you here in disguise? It is okay to disagree here and provide new, better, differing information.  We are a friendly civilized crew.  

The info I provided was in reference to horses. I extrapolated to humans regarding the seeds. I am no expert at anything nutritional or at most anything. 

Welcome over here. 

Ginger

• omaz
    Annie - A google search of 'rhaposomes' did not turn up anything.  
  • 1WonderWoman

Good morning, warriors!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Tex: good to hear from you!   I am glad you were out absorbing that ethereal donor of vitamin D, the sun!!!!!!!!   If you can picture an old man, in a library, with a smoking pipe and envision the sweater he is wearing...well that is exactly what I have on right now with sweat pants and one of my Bula skiing hats as I needed to kick up the heat in response to the cold over night!  In long, I am jealous!  It is like 50 here today....hating it!  

Ginger: your dgd sounds just adorable!  Unbelievable that she knows the sound of a cow at such a young age!  That is beautiful ;)  

As for the information you gave us on apple seeds, they can be poisonous for human beings.  Seeds contain cyanide so you were right, Ginger.   Further investigation reveals that one would have to eat a bunch of apple seeds, at once, to be poisoned so you were clearly on the right track as when juicing, several apples are juiced at once.  I think the information you provided was helpful.  I also think what your SIL told you about juicing triggered your thoughts on this matter ;)  

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00208.htm

Omaz: I hope you had a lovely weekend, woman!  

Annie: I think rhaposomes is phoenetic for "ribosomes." 

I am going to stare at the fireplace again and consider if I am going to light her up in April!!!

Happy trails, all- 

• omaz
    rhaposomes - if it is supposed to be ribosomes then all human cells have ribosomes, that is where proteins are made.
  • 1WonderWoman

Omaz: I figured out the word but never did I intimate I was clear on where the author was going with that!!!  More to this point, this is all I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22120616 

• omaz
    Oh I know Lizzy - If I sounded crabby I didn't mean to!!!
  • 1WonderWoman

Deb: absolutely not at all!!!!!  Really, all I am trying to do is trying to decipher what our visitor meant by that post!   You did not sound crabby at all!!  

Everyone who comes to bc.org does so b/c either they have been dxd or are awaiting results and are scared.   It does seem odd that someone, with no history on these boards, would stop here on our thread?  It hardly seems like the place to start.   

• texasrose361

My 2 cents bout the visitor- 

I think it is someone from the apple industry trying to make us eat the seeds. LOL thats all i could come up with, ooooh and because Ginger lives in WA where a large majority of apples are grown they are secretly spying on her... Watch out ginger!

LOL

• texasrose361

Did anyone else find this as odd? This person joined 6 months ago and the only 2 posts are here on our thread...

Annie must be extremly shy (or be a spy) ;) BTW i am totally teasing you annie 

• omaz
    Hi Tex!!