Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• pupfoster1
    pupfoster1 Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2011

Eeeek! 

When someone you work with (or who knows about your dx) looks at you with "those eyes' and asks "how are you doing?  Is everything OK?"  Or "you look great!"  Hmmmmfffff, how am I "supposed" to look? 
    Just venting.  I know most people mean well..............

Sharon

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2011

pre-op enema??!!! Geeze! I am doing my last treatment on Friday and planning a bilateral mastectomy for November. I am just starting to get into the planning of it this coming week, but I had not heard that one at all yet. It just gets better and better doesn't it? 

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited October 2011

Don't worry J-bug, it's for the ooph I'm having with the TE exchange. Your good for the BMX, but you may want one afterwards-pain pill, just saying.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited October 2011

J-Bug, had a uni MX on Aug 17 and no pre-op enema.  You might want to start taking a stool softener a few days before surgery though, just to help out with constipation post surgery.  A lot of women do it, and a lot of surgeons recommend it.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited October 2011

Survivor11, I got my nipples reconstructed on my anniversary Dec 20, 2007 and I went into the operating room singing 'I'm getting Nipples for Christmas!' (from 'I'm getting nuttin' for Christmas') and my ps thought I was crazy. Although he already knew that, I put removable tattoos on my mounds during expansion (didn't like barbie boob) and rhinestone stick on earrings at pre-op for nipple surgery to show where I wanted them.

Sheila 

• Kay_G
    edited October 2011

Haha!  Shiela, you are a little crazy, but that is a GOOD thing!  I hope I'll get my nipple by Christmas.  Right now I look like frankenstein, a big circle of new skin where they cut out the nipple.  If I do, I think I'll sing that tune too.  Will probably shock the heck out of my ps!

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    edited October 2011

...when everyone who asks, "So, are you doing good or alright?" immediate qualifies it with some statements like, "well I mean, I know you aren't good, but I mean considering...I mean, like as good as you can be or..."

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited October 2011

I agree!  Survivor you need to take your act on the road; kind of like a Jeff Foxworthy thing.

I'm sure you could think up a wonderful name.

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2011

That's awesome ladies! Thank you. I have been on a stool softener for the last four months through treatment, so I can live with that one.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited October 2011

YKYACPW............the cashier at the grocery store asks "would you like to donate to breast cancer",............and you anwer......."I already did......2lbs of flesh, and 8 lymph nodes.............

when you go to your grandaughters wedding, and everyone says "oh my God look at her out there dancing".............

When the valet parking guy at the hospital, knows its your car before you even exit it.,

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited October 2011
    LOL ducky I had a very similar response.Already donated thankyou both breasts.I was in a bad mood that day. Innocent
  • frenchielover
    frenchielover Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I have heard a lot of scary things about soy and I do have to to admit I had a very scary reaction to soy.  Prior to my final diagnosis of breast cancer, I was eating these soy protein bars with soy protein isolate.  I had a tumor about 4.5 cm big.  I actually stopped eating the soy bars since I was ordering it online and I did not have time to reorder with all that was going on.  What I noticed was an actual REGRESSION in the size of my tumor when I stopped eating the soy protein bars.  After my diagnosis, my tumor was found to be ER+.  My nutritionist told me to stay clear away from soy.  Check out www.mercola.com and the discussion on soy.  It is actually very dangerous for your health and is found in a lot of foods, so careful and read your labels.
  • sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited October 2011

Frenchi---------add a google search "milk and risks" that will round out your day.

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2011

My new BF commented (as we finished up the Susan Komen walk last weekend) -- "If you're going to be involved with a breast cancer survivor, you need two things -- lots of pink in your wardrobe, and strong feet for walking"

He's a keeper!

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited October 2011

ykyacpw: you sit in a room with two men (one DH, one PS) and discuss/plan your boob size. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited October 2011

YKYACPW--the clerk at the Sam's club where you are picking up your membersship card looks at your drivers licences (witha pre-bc pic), looks at you and says "This picture really doen't look like you."  I didn't even think--out of my mouth came "That picture was taken before breast cancer and 4 years of treamtent."  Dead silence for 30 seconds.  Then she redeemed herself by saying "I'm sorry.  Can I ask if you are ok now?" 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited October 2011

Bcisnofun---------yes that same thing happened to me when I had an augmentation in 1978--repeated in 1980 b/c one implant collapsed. PS went with description of what Dh wanted. Neither time did I get the size I wanted. When I had a Bmx, I was very specific with the PS about the previous experiences. Told him exactly what I wanted. He went completely against my wishes. I encourage all women to have it written on the consent form as to what you expect. The consent form is a legal document. I do believe we should have the right to put the disputed amount of fluid , injected into their scrotum. I think that may take care of future problems, regarding their decisions to discount our decisions. 

• bcisnofun
    edited October 2011

SAS - tell me you are kidding!  I know what size my TE's are and we went from there.  My husband would agree with whatever I wanted, so he didn't say much.  I just thought it was surreal and funny that I'm sitting there with two men so calmly talking about my boob size.  I am so sorry for your experience and think the scrotum caviat would certainly be the end of the problem of mis-sizing! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2011
    YKYACPW you're willing to spend 6.99 for a gallon of organic milk.  Money mouth
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited October 2011

I think male radiation docs who do sentinel node injections without any pain medication should let the woman then make the same number of injections into his scrotum, with vinager! 

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited October 2011

The morning of my surgery my Dr. did a pre-op exam then sat down and discussed the procedure from tracer injection through post-op recovery.  He then called for the Tech from radiation, got the pain med and did the injections himself while the tech did the tracer.  Did I say that his patients love him?  We do and every medical professional around here that I've talked to respect him, say he is the best and ask how I got so lucky as to get him. 

• Kay_G
    edited October 2011

Thanks Chabba, it's nice to hear there are good guys out there too.

SAS.....that is criminal.  Did you report it or anything?

• YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

YKYACPW someone mentions getting their driver's license renewed, and you have a panic attack because you don't know if you need to renew yours THIS year, with no hair, or NEXT year, when you HOPEFULLY will have hair! 

• bcisnofun
    edited October 2011

yamahamama - totally!

• Kay_G
    edited October 2011

ykyacpw you bring your baseball cap,to family gatherings so your 6 yo niece can try on your wig

• YamahaMama
    edited October 2011

Kay, too sweet!  I took my wig to my grandmother's last weekend so my sister could help me fix it for a big event that night...  My 8 year old niece ended up getting PINK CHALK on my blonde wig!  Good thing it's Pinktober! 

• YamahaMama
    edited October 2011

YKYACPW you take a dish to a potluck, and KNOW there won't be any hair in your dish! 

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2011

You know you're a cancer patient when you read that duck tape takes off those last few hairs so you grab a roll and give it a go (and it works!).

When you make sure to touch your eyebrows and lashes ever so gently because you truly want to keep them as long as possible!

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2011

Hi  YKYACPW  when you also go to a potluck and you KNOW that those hairs in the potato salad just might be yours. SharonH

• jackifp
    jackifp Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2011

YKYACPW the football team, in honor of October, all wear something pink for their homecoming game...and at the rally dedicate the game to you personally, with the #1 jersey to wear at school and at the game.

You know you live in a small town when...the whole town turns out for homecoming rally and game...

I've had most of the kids in my classes. They were tickled I wore the jersey and went to the game (they know I'm not a football fan, and don't usually go). Pretty sweet, if attention of the kind I don't want. I've been all about the education on cancer with my students, but this was in front of the whole blessed town, oof.