Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010

LOL!!!  I've had dogs, I can just see it!

Can you even wear that wig anymore without giggling? Laughing

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2010

CAN you wear the wig at all?  My vision of the Fluffy story involves hair and such in small bits all over the yard. . .

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2010

YKYACP when you see the abbreviation "TN" and think "Triple Negative" and then wonder WHY someone would be looking forward to going there, only to realize that "TN" also stands for Tennessee (sp?). 

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

NativeMainer that reminds me of one that gets me -

.......when see the abbreviation b/c and think breast cancer? then realize it's an abbreviation of because.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010
    NM - LOL!! - I hadn't even thought of little bits of wig all over the yard! Laughing
  • whatRstatsanyway
    whatRstatsanyway Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010

luck has it that the dog is a bird dog with a "soft" mouth...He didn't tear into it like prey, but ran around the yard with it like it was the best bird he ever retrieved (stole). I got it back, and thankfully, the neighbors are not right on top of me, so maybe they didn't hear all the terms of endearment that I called that piece of fur as it ducked and weaved, trying to run in size 11 men's boots grabbing at the robe with one hand and holding on to the baseball cap with the other.  I got the wig back, intact, but full of drool. Yes, I wore it (had to), after "Fluffy" got another "bath", but you can be darn sure that "she" got dried on a stand in a bedroom with a closed door in the future!

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2010

whatRstats,

I just had this vision of you falling asleep on the couch, and there is your family dog...gently pulling, nay teasing! Fluffy away from your head.  dog's thinking "Gonna get Fluffy if it's the last thing I do....must not wake Alpha Dog on the couch..."

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

oh, squid, that is so funny! I have lots of pets and I can just imagine having one's Fluffy stolen while sleeping!

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310
    edited September 2010

Here's another one-

...when I read A/C and think adriamycin/cytoxan when it really means air conditioning...

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310
    edited September 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when your daughter asks you why you put mascara on your bottom lashes and you respond, "Because I can!"  (After the lashes grew back after fallout #2)

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010

Astorm/Gail- My husband is the same way!!! We should get them together or send them off to training camp (sometimes I wish I could be the happy-go-lucky one though, truth be told... that's one of the things that hits home about "The Big C"- the husband is just like mine.)

chrisct- Please don't tell me my lashes are going to keep falling out!!! Noooooooooo

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2010

Lady_Madonna ----- hate to tell you but many women, me included, have their lashes fall out  or at least thin every few months in cycles.  Since they all fell out at the same time with the initial chemo and then grew back in at the same time, they are all on the same growth cycle.  It takes awhile before it gets staggered again and they don't all come out at the same time.  I have had it happen about 3 times now I think but each time, it gets to be less and less and now is more thinning than having them all fall totally out.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2010

Lady_Madonna ----- hate to tell you but many women, me included, have their lashes fall out  or at least thin every few months in cycles.  Since they all fell out at the same time with the initial chemo and then grew back in at the same time, they are all on the same growth cycle.  It takes awhile before it gets staggered again and they don't all come out at the same time.  I have had it happen about 3 times now I think but each time, it gets to be less and less and now is more thinning than having them all fall totally out.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited September 2010

Yes it's been six months since chemo and my eyebrows started falling out again this week.  So you know you are a cancer patient when you use the lint roller on your eyebrows.  Got tired of them falling in my eyes.

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010
    AStorm: Love that description: don't worry, be happy and he doesn't use coasters. lol
  • AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

LadyinBama - yeah, I thought those of us who use coasters would understand...

LadyMadonna - a training camp would have been great but I think he would have run away from camp! I got that book for husbands at the library -- even renewed once -- but he never read it... I'd leave it open to a particular passage I thought he should read and he completely ignored it. On the way to my last surgery we were talking about chemo (I haven't had) and I told him I don't have the kind of support necessary to get through that. He asked what I meant and I said "if I had a mother she would..... but I don't have a mother so it's important that I don't go there". He said he would be my mother so I took the opportunity to tell him exactly what to do for me while I recover from surgery and I have to say it did help. It has been 11 days though, and he is starting to question whether the kitchen counters really need to be wiped down every day. I'm meeting him half way -- I just stay out of the kitchen.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

It's a start!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

OMG-That is what is wrong with me-I have NO coaster etiquette! Don't sleep with your fluffy on!!

.....when you are so thrilled you hair is growig back and then discover for some reason, one side is longer than the other. And you dare NOT get it cut.

........Your new part in your hair is by your ear and you realize that now you look like Donald Trump!

XXOO,SV

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited September 2010

AStorm and Lady Madonna - frankly, i don't expect that any man 0r anyone who didn't hadve cancer could relate to whats i was going through, so as long as i have THIS room to vent and ask and vent and ask again ... i don't think my hub will ever ever get it

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

Coasters! LOL!  I am a total coaster person and my DH's mom is a coaster woman - so most of the time he gets it (occasionally a magazine or paperwork of mine gets used).  LOL! 

When you decide to tell your DH (who is a constant worrier) the new info you learned about your path report.  Then realize that your fascination with your terrible Nottingham and Ki67 scores only freak him out more! 

I am still laughing at the dog story!  I have 2 crazy border collies.  I can just imagine them taking off with my wig.  I'm always afraid that one of my cats is going to mess with my wigs, so I stow them in my closet with the door shut!!!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

whatRstats-OMG!  I believe God put pets on the earth to keep us laughing!

AStorm-We're supposed to wipe the kitchen counters every day? Uh Oh!

StillVertical-  NO ONE looks like Donald Trump, that short-fingered vulgarian!

Gotta love our dear husbands, even if they are not perfect (like us!)  I have to say I have the near perfect DH.  I really do.  He actually wipes the toilet with paper after he pees!  I didn't teach him this, his mom did!  And yes, he uses coasters too!  Okay, that's probably too much info!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

Dmom - I have to get my DH to clean the toilets after he pees!  That's great!!  :)  I did train him on how to do the laundry (and what to hang and not dry). 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

He uses coasters to wipe the toilet?? SV

• Neece
    Neece Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2010

Love the Fluffy story!!!

And the abbreviations: I have also done the a/c means chemo when in fact it meant aircon.

I  love this thread!

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

As long as he doesn't use Fluffy to clean the toilet, or counters for that matter...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010
    My DH is tall, so he sits down when he pees! Taught our sons that too! Laughing
  • flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2010

This weeken my DH suggested a Halloween costume for me.  He loves dressing up for the Holiday.  He is always the Grim Reaper and looks really scary.  

He said I should go as Dana Carvey doing the turtle.  Put on an oversized green turtleneck that I can duck down into and get black round rim glasses and shave nubs of hair(not much left).  I tried it and it works and we got a good laugh off that.------TURTLE_TURTLE!!!!!!  Gotta find humor where you can!!!

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2010

...when you finally (after almost 2 months of being late to work) get out the door in time to be early and 1/2 to work, something makes you look in your pill container to find it empty and you have to turn around and go back home to get your meds for the day - you call into work to let them know you have now found some new reason for being late...again!  ARGGGGG!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

barbe-  My DH sits at night, he's tall too, maybe it is a tall guy thing!

Still Vertical-  Now you have me laughing again!  Coasters!  Fluffy!  Too tall peeing!  Thank God for laughter.  What was that book "Laughter is the Best Revenge" ?  Take THAT cancer!

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

When you son wants pasta for breakfast and you get eveything out put the pot on the stove and turn it on then go to the pot filler and turn it on without the pot so water goes everywhere! When do we get our brains back?

The Fluffy story is hilarious. I was worried someone might think your dog had a cat in its mouth and you'd get a whole bunch of "helpful" neighbors you would then have to explain everything to!  Glad ol Fluffy is getting another bath (private) and will be ready for duty soon.