Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

pamelajo- OMG!  This skit should be on Saturday Night Live!  Too dang funny!

stillvertical -  Being called "hon" is a wonderful thing!

And, again, I forgot what I was going to write because I'm laughing too hard and reading these posts is funnier and better than remembering what I was going to say.  Thanks again ladies!

• gutsy
    gutsy Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2010

"when you arrive with your DH at your chemo appt with the brunette wig and the nurses don't recognize you at first.  One of them thinks your DH is coming in with another woman!!!  My response...  "Oh yeah like having one woman with breast cancer isn't enough, he decided to get a mistress with cancer too!!"  She laughed so hard it hurt (she just had dental work done)!!!  LOL!"

I am laughing so hard right now. My 7 year old is asking me what is so funny?

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited September 2010

I'm replying in order to certain posts ... anacortes, soooo good to hear from you! not sure if you saw my post wondering if you were okay, since I hadn't seen you after reading all these glorious posts that made me laugh so much!  glad you're back with us for a bit, and thank you again for starting this thread.  okay, now i'm off to read more and reply to more!!

• marlegal
    edited September 2010

sptmm, respponding to your post ... how awesome that your children are comfortable sharing ...mine were too, and it was such a blessing or whategver you want to call it.  we're both lucky women in that regrd

• marlegal
    edited September 2010

and for my post of the day ... when you have different names for your wigs - hub named one of my svetlana and my cancer careworker refused to call me anything but that for my 4 months of chemo!!!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

Y.K.Y.A.C.P...........................................when your 13 yr old son brings a friend home unexpectedly after school, catching you bald and one-boob-less.  When you try to explain things to him, he replies, "That's ok............no big deal."

When his father comes to pick him up and catches you out too, he turns out to be an Alopecia sufferer, hasn't had a hair on his body since he was 12 yrs old.

After the initial shock at seeing each other with our egg-heads exposed, we got the giggles and had a great laugh about it.

Sheila.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited September 2010
    I  think Pam just invented a new word SmileI could not watch cancer show it just upset me. 
  • jdootoo
    jdootoo Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010

When the receptionist at the Dr. office offers you a job because (with 3 ring binder in hand) you know more about your diagnosis and treatment than anyone else there...

When you can walk from the PICU where your child is staying to rads in the basement wearing your slippers and pajamas... 

One love, Jackie 

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

..........when you stub your toe, pull a muscle, have a headache and think these normal aches are all cancer related.  Ugh!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

...When you are trying to erase September and several friends call to tell you they are running in the "Standup2Cancer 5K" at the end of the month-just for you (me) and I am freaking out bec I have blown away that they would do this but really pissed at the same time! And they expect me to be at the finish line taking pix as a memorial-errgh!! And i feel like such a rotten poster child for Pink month!! (truly i feel really blessed to have such amazing friends but crikey, noone even asked me). SV

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited September 2010

Still Verticle-  I am totally in your corner.  Family wanted me to go to a seaside fest which I normally love to do.  but, I declined because half my town will be there and I said-"I don't want to do the cancer thing!  with half the village."

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

gutsy - I'm glad you got a good laugh!!!  This thread is so funny!  I have to find humor through some of this cancer stuff. 

When your sister told you at the end of chemo she looked like a thumb (no hair, lashes, brows) and now you are beginning to look like a thumb, too! 

When you are so crabby 2 days post chemo...  I tried on my dress for my sister's wedding and just stood there and cried for no reason.  Mom and DH took me out to eat! 

I love the wig names!  I'm going to have to name mine.  I think the brunette one will have to be Kardashian!  LOL!!!

When you watch the Stand Up to Cancer show and the bald people just look normal to you because you haven't seen your own hair in months! 

I watched that Stand Up to Cancer show and it was so choppy, like there was too much going on.  I liked the part where they talked about the clinical research, though.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2010

A thumb!  I can think of one other thing we might look like..... duh oh!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

Yah, but we don't have hairy feet! ehehehehhehe

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2010
    Laughing
  • DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

kitty-  I think you should let DH name your wigs.  Oh Lordy, this could become his new favorite thing!  Good thing is he would never dream of having an affair, he lives with so many different women!

I tried watching the Stand Up 2 Cancer show.  It just overwhelmed me.  I did enjoy learning about some of the cutting edge research.  I pray they cure this beast someday, I believe they will.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2010
    Thumbs up to all the brave sisters on bc.org!!
  • mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

When you find an old picture of yourself at 3 wearing a Beatles wig & wonder did you know something back then??????? (My new avatar)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

When you put on a sexy nightie with a stretchy top and prance around the livingroom and not realize anything is wrong until you go to the bathroom and see the size label....on the front!

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2010

when you put Tom's natural deoderant on the outside of the underarm of your shirt.  I at least stopped after one side.

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010
    OMG Kitty cat, Adey and Barb I am truly hysterical and could carry on with this theme forever-but I think i will keep the craziness in my own head!! Kiss SV
  • Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2010

When your boob itches and you're glad it's the one that's still there so scratchng it will stop the itch.

Leah the uniboober

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

when you come home sore and exhausted after your first day back at work, 8 days post-op, and have to turn off the cancer telethon because you are tired of watching your DH get all choked up over celebrity survivors after acting like you had the flu... when you explain why this irritates you, he says it seems more real on TV... so you tell him to make a donation -- it IS real

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

Astorm. It sounds like your DH is living in an alternate reality.  How can TV be more real than you?

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2010

Oh Astorm, I am so sorry that you appear to have gotten so little support from your DH. There is no telling how our closest are going to react or what they will say or do. Mostly, they don't know what to do. My closest are really having a tough time with all of this and other than this board, I don't feel like i have a lot of boosters in my corner. People go into shock and the word Cancer I think is just about the worst word anyone can hear. I know it doesn't help to say all of this crap, but I am sending you gentle hugs anyway xxoo, SV

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

he lives in state of denial. I'm a neurotic worrier who always has her ducks in a row because if I don't something terrible will happen, and he is the don't-worry-be-happy type who doesn't use coasters or change the oil in his car. We balance each other. I get a lot of support here and from friends. This thread helps me laugh at myself!

• whatRstatsanyway
    whatRstatsanyway Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010

I think that a lot of us code named our wigs so as to have a bit of humor in the situation. I named mine "Fluffy" as it felt like a cat sitting on my head. All was well until the family dog swiped "Fluffy" from the counter where it was drying and ran out the door through the flap. Thankfully it is fenced as I was running after the beast yelling "Drop Fluffy, drop Fluffy now" as he ran around playing catch me if you can - the neighbors must of had a great laugh with me wearing an old  bathrobe my son's work boots and a hastily plunked baseball cap trying to retrieve "Fluffy" from the jaws of a four legged beast that thought that it was great fun having Mom playing chase...

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

Wonderful visual of Fluffy and the Beast!!!  Thanks

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

Fluffy...WHAAAA...LMAO

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited September 2010

Visualizing the fluffy story.Too funny