Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

I've been out of town for a few days and "off" of the computer....wow there was a lot to catch up on...

I am still laughing at the lizard story - that is hysterical !!!!!  That could so be made into a scene of one of the family sitcoms out there.  OMG that was so funny.

YKYACPW .............you forget what you're doing even though you walked out of the door with the intention of doing whatever "it" was and can claim "chemo brain". 

I wonder if I can use that when I forget something at work?

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW you keep getting your mords wixed up.  DH is starting to do it too...I think that chemotardedness is contagious!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

Okay, why is a red drum in the surf....is it a fish? You caught it by hand? Fess up!

• mary840
    mary840 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010

...Everyone knows what time you NEED a nap and they schedule meetings around your nap time.

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited September 2010

You all crack me up!  Thanks for the laughs!

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited September 2010

With respect I would like to note that my best friend has a 32 developmentally dleyed son. He was born with the umbilical cord around his neck and was thus oxygen deprived. Perhaps we could reconsider the use of "chemotard" and somehow find a phrase that would work without causing pain to a mom every single time she saw it.

It has taken years and years to get people to stop saying "retard" . 

I know you don't mean to be hurtful, I love you all and yes we all need a laugh. I love this place. 

Could we reconsider? I am going to stick with Chemobrain and am writing this before I forget what I was going to say. 

Gingerbrew

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited September 2010

when the wind blows your hair and you run into work telling everyone!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited September 2010

ginger, I kind of get what you're saying, but keep in mind the only people we're making fun of here is us, and the word retarded is a valid word which doesn't necessarily carry offense.  we've all been the brunt of so much hurt with people looking at us weird during chemo or after that hte last thing any person in this thread would do is intentionally inflict emotional harm on someone else.  this is a room to lighten up about our problems and poke fun at ourselves, that's all.  I will openly confess that I laughed at chemotard, but only because it so describes how I felt about myself many times.  my dad worked with mentally challenged kids his entire life - my daughter is a therapist with autistic kids - and I think both of them would laugh at chemotard because of me and me alone.  just my personal opinion.

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW when DH has to make a midnight run to Wallly World (walmart) to get enemas, suppositories and ducolax 4 days after your first chemo because you know you are about to die of gunk.....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

Barb, as usual, you have me snorting!! A red drum is a fish and it is the holy grail of all fish caught in the surf from Florida to Virginia. i was using ultra light tackle and this fish hit like a freight train-I was stunned to actually beach it. Biggest red drum I have caught in the surf was 34 pounds and over a yard long!! Biggest ocean striper I have caught in the surf was around 42 pounds and the size of a small car! I am an extreme angler and just thrilled that I can still rock the surf and the fish in it-after a year off of extreme fishing!!

And Gingerbrew, you make a really important point-OK maybe let's have a new word game to come up with the "brainless" women we become after chemo (just a suggestion0. I, too have worked with Alzheimer's patients and the developmentally delayed and am sensitive to the word-it is meant in jest at myself but I understand your point. It can hurt and in fact, it really does hurt when I used to function at a very high level and am reduced to forgetting how to screw in a light bulb! I will need to go to the thesauras-can't spell it but I know what i mean in the hunt for new adjectives!! 

.....and still cracking up over the lizard story-now do they actually teach that in vet school???

.....when boxes from Landsend begin to arrive at your front door and you have some 'splaining to do about the orders that you forgot!

XXOO SV

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

My vote is for brain-fart.  I have them often.

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited September 2010

When you finally got the energy to water the patio plants and some how the handle on the water spout is brokern--or something, it just won't turn off!  Telephone dh at work and ask him the name of the last plumber we used and wouldn't you know----you were just turning the damn knob the wrong way!

At least I didn't call the plumber: dh asked which way I was turning the knob.  Still shake my head on that one.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2010

I can not vote for brain fart. I've always had those. What I have now is from chemo for sure. I must agree with Mary. The only people we are making fun of is US. I'm sorry if this offends anyone else. You all are more than welcome to call me a chemotard, cuz I am.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

when you fall asleep while your friends are yelling and cheering while watching a football game.  And I did not fall asleep once - but throughout the whole game!!! 

I am laughing at Still Verticle being horizontal!  :)

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited September 2010

SV, can you ask your friend where she goes for 'defensive walking classes'?  I need to enrol as I am constantly walking into walls, doors, trees etc, etc......well you get the idea.

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited September 2010

how about "chemo-moments"?

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

Chemo moments:   It sounds like a greeting card.

From the Wikipedia:  Mental retardation (MR) is a generalized disorder, characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits in two or more adaptive behaviors with onset before the age of 18. It has historically been defined as an Intelligence Quotient score under 70.[1] Once focused almost entirely on cognition, the definition now includes both a component relating to mental functioning and one relating to individuals' functional skills in their environment.

I think it is safe to say that we have a form of retardation.   Even tho we are all past the age of 18.  None of us would ever make fun of someone with a disability.  But surly we can laugh at ourselves with our acquired mental illness.  If we couldn't laugh, we would all be so severely depressed.  Sorry, but chemotard is the only thing that really fits.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

SV I LOVE fishing and cannot imagine the thrill of catching the size of fish you have!! WOW!!!!!!

YKYACPW you will stand up for yourself and quit turning the other cheek (you've run out of cheeks!)

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

I have a sone with Down syndrome so obviously I can be very sensitive about things such as this. I think for me it has to do how someone uses the word. There are some movies which recently have been very offensive in they way the word was used and ignorant and school age kids can be offensive when they use the word. I actually corrected my trainer recently when she used the word in a way that was just lazy and picking a word that is more and more coming to be used as something horrible to be. I guess for me that is the distinction. Obviously no one wants to be "retarded" whether it is by birth or my chemicals or old age. In French if I can remember correctly retard means to slow just as in music and yes my son is slow. He will always be slower to learn and do pretty much everything but he isn't dumb by any means, nor is he stupid or incapable. I think when the word is used in those situations it is offensive. So women on chemo are not dumb, stupid or incapable how ever I might say impaired such as drinking too much as it is a chemical also those of us suffering loss of estrogen are also impaired by lack of a drug.

So, I guess for me first and foremost I agree with the person who wrote that no one here has any intention of offending anyone with what we all have been though or will go through so I didn't take offense. Would I like another word, sure just because of the way other people have violated the word. Do I think you all have offended me in any way? No. If you all want to use it, will it bother me? Slightly but I understand and it is OK. I also think with BC we need all the humor we can get and as it isn't meant to be ugly then I don't find it so. 

Hope this makes sense and it is just my view on it all from someone who is living it. 

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

Obviously please ignore all typos and such as I am definately estrogen deprived and so miss spell check....

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    edited September 2010

How about chemoronic?

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

About the chemotard term, as many have pointed out, it really IS a legitimate definition.  I would NEVER call a Downes person retarded.  However, as many have pointed out, this is really our own little private thread, poking fun at each other's "cognitive challenges" (now there's a catchy term)   I don't know about all of the rest of you, but I am sick to death with all the politically correct slop.  Every time I turn around, someone seems to think something is offensive.  I think if most of these folks would focus on being kind, caring and generous (like all of you wonderful ladies), the world would be a much better place.  Hope I didn't offend anyone.  I am finding the need to speak up more and more after this BC business, just ask DH!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2010

Well, no matter what term is used, I guess the way I can describe it is to say that chemo has given me a clear head.

Leah

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2010

...when you ask the guy at the security desk at your workplace to keep a lookout for any loose marbles as you think you have lost your entire bag.  My brain has definately left the building!

• jenn3
    edited September 2010

.........when you find yourself looking at the bra's in Victoria Secret wishing you had something to put in them........then you remember you can take off your boobs at the end of the day.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

I, too, don't consider a Downs' Syndrome child retarded! Never have, never will. But, I do hate the use of the word "special" when used against children with certain needs. Takes away the feeling of being "special". Did anyone comment on that?

Our word is chemoTARDED. Not chemo-retarded. It is a made-up word. For a real issue. Move on.

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited September 2010

Kate, I think chemoronic is clever too! 

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2010

I work for the State of New York at an agency that recently changed its name from OMRDD (Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities) to OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities) because of the stigma attached to the word retarded.  I wasn't offended by chemotard, but I definitely think I am more of a chemoron.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2010

YNYACPW you answer the phone at work, "Thank you very much." for no apparent reason instead of saying, "Staff Development, Jane speaking."

• jenn3
    edited September 2010

This has been such a fun thread, let's get back to the fun - PLEASE.