Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited April 2011

when getting dressed, your boob falls out, hits the bed and bounces to the floor........you and DH stand there laughing hysterical.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2011

YKYACPW when part of your shower routine is washing your boob --- and then you set it out of the shower on a towel and wash your other boob.  (You know, the one that is still attached to your body!)

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2011

Carol - lol, my hair sticks out everywhere.  This moring I had to 'brush' it with a damp cloth to get it to lay down!

Faith - too funny!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited April 2011

Jenn At least your pet didn't grab it and start chewing on it.Thats what happened to mine.LOL

• sacphotomom
    sacphotomom Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2011

You all just make my day.. too funny!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited April 2011

If anyone is interested , I created an Insomniacs thread

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topic/767259?page=1#idx_1

• Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2011

YNYACP when numerous people tell you how much they like your hair (i.e. your wig) and how much better it looks than your hair. did before (i.e.my real hair)   I now have at least 3/4 inch of hair which I have dyed a lovely shade of brown.  It sticks in all directions also.  I am planning on going natural during off hours and only wear wig to work.  I DON"T CARE HOW GREAT WIG LOOKS,  i prefer my own hair.

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997
    edited April 2011

YKYABCW you are 7 days post-op and talk to your 21 yr old son about the great size and shape of your new ta tas and he responds "thats great mom"

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited April 2011

YKYACPW you remove the foob from your mastectomy side as you're getting undressed for bed. Then you reach around to remove the other side before when you realize that breast is still attached. I did that last night and man did I laugh!

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited April 2011

My dogs old enough now that they wouldn't grab the "loose" boob, but you're right that would be funny.

YKYACPW..........the only thing people seem to talk to you about is cancer.  I do have other interests.......not just cancer.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2011

ahh, jenn, i know. if i had a dollar for everytime i would try to wave away the topic and people persisted...anyway!

God is good: hysterical tshirt!!

okay YKYACPW you shudder at the words "recurrent" or "recurrence", even when they are used in contexts unrelated to cancer. ugh 

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2011

Bonnie - I need one of those shirts

YNYACP when during your pre-op vist for reconstruction your surgeon asks for a peek inside your bra to remind him what he is supposed to do in surgery next week,  I just pulled my shirt down and showed him.   Surprised

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited April 2011
    YNYACP when bald and trying on wigs a stranger in the store says, "oh that so looks like you."
  • karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited April 2011

After being bald there are No bad hair days.....just days I don't like the way my hair looks!!!!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited April 2011

First my hair came in straight then went curly--never got a pic. Then a combo of curly straight. Then totally straight. I used to color it, but stopped before all of everything started. It came in all these wonderful shades from white, to steel gray, and enough black. A colorist could not have created it. Finally found someone who could really cut it very flattering. I also had lost 50 some pounds. So, yeah , I did look different and better, so what could I say. I knew I looked allot better. It was the getting there that sucked.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited April 2011

You know you have cancer with "lumpectomy" when you look down at your Boob, and the nipple on the operated side is saying "good morning" to your feet, and the other boob is saying "good morning" to your face.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2011

SAS I love my multi-layered white-gray-black post-chemo hair.  Just wish the stubborn cowlick would give it up and lay the heck down!

YKYACP when you remind yourself of a cockatiel, especially in the morning!

• duckyb1
    edited April 2011

When people see you they say "how are you doing" before they say Hello., and with that pathetic look 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2011

The PITY look!

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    edited April 2011

For some reason I don't get the pity look. I get offended looks, especially from people who couldn't stand me before, now they cant' stand me even worse. Like the fact that I never accepted to be "down" during the treatment and rebounded so fast is a personal insult for them.

YKYACP when you remember how healthy and active you were before this diagnosis, and now you get to consider a personal victory a day when you can actually get out of bed and do stuff at least til noon without feeling fatigued.

• barbe1958
    edited April 2011

I had a woman at work snap at me that I "raised the bar" when I told her that her cold sounded horrid and couldn't she go home?

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2011

I love the post about the nipples that need an alignment.  Sitting here cracking up!!  You guys are too funny!

• barbe1958
    edited April 2011

High beams...low beams....come on! Make up your mind!!

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2011

I had to laugh because, thanks to gravity, my non operated boob says good morning to my feet, and my operated one says it to my face.

• duckyb1
    edited April 2011

Ok, Ladies.............are you making fun of my Boobies..............The first time I looked down I thought "what the hell happened to the  other nipple............I actually had to go to the mirror to make sure it was still there.........Do you think i can sue the BS for Poor Alignment Surgery

You know you have cancer when someone in the family never cared if you had a will but.......all of a sudden you find Estate Lawyer business card around your house.

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited April 2011

YKYACP when the hair you are sweeping off the tile floor belongs more to you then your pets. I never thought I could out-shed a German Shepherd going thru her sping molt. Time for the scissors and clippers...

• barbe1958
    edited April 2011

Ducky you can't complain to these docs. When I went back after my hysterectomy I "complained" that his line wasn't very straight. Without missing a beat, he said, "I went to Med school, not Art school." heheheheheehehhehehehehehehhehehehehehhe

• duckyb1
    edited April 2011

Ok barbe1958....want to hear a better on...............I had surgery on my forearm, from the wrist up.....after surgery, and they scar healed I said to my kids............Doesn't that damn scar look like a W to you the way it goes up my arm.....................They laughed.....................I didn't, the Dr.'s name was "WEHBE."..........I swear that freak did the incision to identify his work.................my kids still thought I was nuts, and then another surgeon who operated on my other wrist told me "its true, some Dr.'s do, if they can make the incision in the shape of the first letter of their last name...............My kids aren't laughing anymore...  Guess Mom's 'not so dumb afteralll.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited April 2011

i love the lumpectomy one, cause it's SO TRUE!!!!!!!

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited April 2011

I'm in trouble... my surgeon's name is O'Neill!!!!!