Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited March 2011

Almost but not quite, Susan. My body has improved A LOT from losing weight, but I still need to get some more EXERCISE and FIRM UP a little before I start wearing tight clothes. I'm not 100% rid of the muffin top -- it's a good deal smaller than it used to be, to the point of gone when I'm standing up, but when I sit down--UGH it hangs over even though I'm not wearing anything tight of late. But at least I AM smaller, it IS much better than it was, and, without all the extra weight, exercise will actually make a DIFFERENCE.

YKYACPW you can pour the contents of today's pill container into your hand, and correctly identify all the pills without checking back with the prescription bottles.

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited March 2011
    you are so excited you bought a new 7 day push button pill reminder for all your supplements Laughing
  • hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2011

I went to a breast cancer support meeting last night. let me tell ya, i really enjoyed it. although i was at least 20 years younger than everyone else, i gotta share this.

the topic was : how do i bloom now where i have been planted?

and so everyone goes around the room and says this and that about how they are trying to find their new "normal" and how they are appreciative for this and that.

it comes round to me and i say " I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. also, i have learned to not be so impatient with people. I work in retail , and i always let people get to me. when they  give me a little attitude, or when they come in in a bad mood. i have learned that maybe that person has something going on that you can't tell on the outside. maybe they are battling cancer. or something else.  so i learned patience."

and everyone one of the ladies, including the one running the deal says "wow, i haven't learned that till I was about 55! and you learned it at 29! you definitely have found your "new normal""

i walked out feeling pretty darn good about myself!!

then i go to get gas today, and the card reader doesn't work. so i go inside and ask to get pump #7 turned on. the lady kinda snaps and says " i need your card". ok, not a problem. you gotta prepay all the time now these days. so i go outside and pump my gas and come back in and the lady says "i'm so sorry if i snapped at you, it's just we had 2 runoffs this week, and I had to pay $63 out of my check for it." i tell her "not a problem, i knew you needed to hold on to my card.. have a great day!" she says " you look very pretty today !" (wig and eyebrows drawn on and all!!)

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited March 2011

That is such a nice story!!  I love it, and the way you handled everything!  I have learned lots of things too, and part of it is that there are 3 really important things and they are family, friends and life, and they should all three be intertwined for YOU!!! 

• snowdin
    snowdin Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011

The grocery store clerk offers to unload your cart consisting of 5 items - and the clerk is about 30 years older than you. 

• alamik
    alamik Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2011

HDANGELBABY~~~~ We should all learn that lesson!! You're so right. We have no idea what is going on in someone elses life that may cause them to be defensive, and your patience along with your kindness and calmness was just what you both needed to deflate what could have been a very day ruining experience Kudos to you and to her as well for explaining what she was going through as well. The compliment was very nice too! You both turned a negative experience into a positive one. Once again, we can all learn from this!

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW you discover after 12 hours that due to your new shape (round)  you have your underpants on inside out and backwards and you couldn't feel the difference.  LOL

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2011

mc-snorted my coffee out my nose!  Too funny!!!!!!!!

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    edited March 2011
    mcbird LOL wholly crap, i think that says it all...my life is complete
  • SoGr8fl
    SoGr8fl Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011

Love these!  I've added to my favs.

When you spend more time on breastcancer.org than your Facebook page.

When nurses say to you, "Don't take this the wrong way but I hope I never see you again."

• tnbcRuth
    edited March 2011

ust a heads up for those feeling good enough to participate - tomorrow is April 1, April Fools Day!   Try and think up something crazy to do!
    My girlfriends and I are meeting tomorrow night and one of them has long beautiful hair. She is going to wear my wig and shock everyone. They will be horrified that she 'cut her hair'.

Any pranks we think up, we truly deserve to do them!!! 

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited April 2011

MC... bahahahahaha!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2011

OMG Darla too funny!  and too true!!

YKYACP when you roll over in bed to sleep on your stomach and it doesn't hurt, it's actually comfortable, and you think to yourself, I could not have done that a year ago.

• tnbcRuth
    edited April 2011
    Bonnie - the look on their faces is priceless!  I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I would take my daughter to appts, and when the dr. finished speaking, I would turn to her and ask, what did he say?  I truly had no idea what was said as the 'cartoon' indicates.  Funny?  yes and no~
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2011

Looks like the guy is in a neck brace, so that threw me.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited April 2011

I don't think that is a guy.....

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited April 2011

a "guy' in the most general of terms?

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2011

YKYACP when you have chemo tx 'growth rings' on your fingernails & toenails.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited April 2011

YKYACP when you are happy that your medical bills are so high you can itemize on your tax return

It's that time of year :) 

• cellomomof5
    cellomomof5 Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2011

You find small dark hairs all over your laptop keyboard - and they're not from the dog.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited April 2011

that is so me when i go into the doc office!! i know what they are gonna say usually before they say it!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited April 2011

When you watch the Country Music Awards and can spot wigs and extensions (and wouldn't have known they were fake hair last year). LOL!

When you are happy to have hair to play with, even though it looks kind of scary!

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2011

YKYACPW after months of not getting out of the house much due to chemo, surgery and just overall feeling like crap that when you finally DO suddenly complete strangers are giving you really odd looks and then you get the random high five from someone that finally clues you in that you had forgotten about the pink cancer ribbon pinned to your "cancer hat" by one of the sweet chemo nurses was still there!

I don't wear wigs and instead opt for hats and I guess the sight of a 34 year old with her 8 year old in tow and the obvious ribbon statement elicites rather strange behavior from other women.  I had a women in the grocery store giving me the dirtiest looks for some reason.  I was on the verge of asking her what her problem was when I just bit my tounge.  I can handle the weird stares and I of course welcome the occasional smile or kind word, but this lady just had me dumbfounded!

• kittycat
    edited April 2011

I can't imagine giving a cancer survivor dirty looks. I would have stuck my tongue out at her! LOL!!!

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2011

hahaha. 

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2011

Lol, kittykat, I should have!  Too bad I didn't think of that!

Bonnie, too funny.  Thanks for the cartoon I needed the laugh!

• slg2130
    slg2130 Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2011

YKYACP when you are measuring your hair with a ruler...daily.

And "going topless" means without wigs or hats!

• kittycat
    edited April 2011

That cartoon is soooo true!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited April 2011

cute cartoon & there's probably some truth to it

• CarolT0214
    CarolT0214 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2011

Hi Ladies.....it has taken me a week or so to read through all this and it has been fun.   Very funny stuff.  So, here is my contribution:

YKYACP when you wear a hat...(not because you don't have hair...it is actually about 3in now)....but because it is so out of control it sticks straight up in every possible direction....I know it is excited to be back.....and I am thrilled to have it......but seriously!!