Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• EmilyInOntario
    EmilyInOntario Member Posts: 288
    edited March 2011

Manogram....too funny...*L*

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited March 2011

Day: Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. That first day you learn you have bc, when you're driving home from the appointment with the radiologist, every leaf on every tree and every cloud in the sky is bittersweet as you feel like soon you may never be seeing them again. Thank goodness we were wrong.

Here's to many, many more glorioius springs for us all!

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2011

I'm with windlass - Day, that was beautiful. I never completely knew the feeling of "walking on air" until a clean PET scan...although I'm definitely not a size 2, I really felt weightless!

Yes, here's to many, many more springs for all of us.

oh: YKYACP when you go to your hospital pharmacy for yet another bottle of Hibiclens (pre-surgery scrub for MX this Fri) and the clerk says, "You probably could tell US how to use this, couldn't you?!"

janyce

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2011

Janyce - good luck Friday!  

YKYACP when you are taking a walk on a beautiful spring morning, listening to the birds and enjoying sun on your face and wind in your hair, and you remember a year ago, when you were 2 weeks post-first chemo, walking in a spritely spring breeze, and your hair was floating away like dandelion fluff...

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited March 2011

OMG Badger!  :-O 

And yeah, hope all goes well with the MX, Janyce. 

YKYACPW you don't want to watch movies anymore because you can no longer stand the depressing sight of attractive young people. 

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2011

thanks, Lena and Badger! I am happy to get it done and over with.

xo

j

• sacphotomom
    sacphotomom Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2011

ykyacp when your walking enjoying the spring breeze flowing through your hair and realize that its is really time to shave your legs!

Day that was rally a nice feeling you brought up everything does feel brighter and even smells  sweeter..

Badger . wow you really hit in on the nail ..love the visual. 

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2011

hahaha! that is a great cartoon!! and it is probably true......

YKYACPW... it's 2 am, and your making blueberry pancake batter cause you are having hot flashes so bad you can't sleep! and 2mg of ativan isn't working!!!!!!

and...... you even had a few beers in the previous hours THINKING  that would help you sleep.

NOT A CHANCE!!!!

• cellomomof5
    cellomomof5 Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW...

There are about six days in every chemo round when your husband is actually smarter than you are. 

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2011

Cellomom, I LOVE your avatar.

• cellomomof5
    cellomomof5 Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2011
    Thank you, Sharon!Embarassed
  • micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2011

Sharon, I like yours...so cute.

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited March 2011

YKYACP when your big excitement at your daughter's school play is seeing your old chemo wig on an actor on stage.  Later you find the kid and say "Hey !  That's my hair !" 

• Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2011

You gals are the best! This thread always puts a huge smile on my face!

I didn't think I had one to add tonight but I guess I have a couple in the end...

YKYACP when you get offered a free duvet and mattress cover.... because it's especially made for women who get hot flashes... but you're only 35. (still, it was pretty exciting to be offered that)

...When you wake up and feel hung over even though you haven't touched alcohol in 5 months! (thank you chemo!)

...When you hear more about your doctor's stellar qualifications...you get all excited as if he's got super-hero powers.

...When you have to ask your nearly 70 year old Dad who just had knee-replacement surgery to slow down because he's walking too fast for you.

• Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2011

PS -

Joan, that's too cute!

Bonnie... oh I recognize that one! I get that look because I'm "young" and "don't look sick", and it took months for me to loose my hair... so everyone just assumed I was "stage 0" or something. So sad, we're all in this together!

• Lena
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW when on most days you look out your window when you get up in the morning and wonder, simultaneously, (a) "What am I still doing here?" and (b) "How much longer will I still be here?" -- and you don't even know for sure if you'd even WANT to know the answers to those questions, if there even are any.

• Marple
    edited March 2011

Ty, MB.

• Marple
    edited March 2011
    Ykyacpw~you decide losing weight is easier than going out and shopping for new clothes.  It's a challenge to find stuff to hide one missing breast (I don't wear a prosthesis) and accommodate my LE arm.  And believe me, losing this weight isn't easy either. Tongue out
  • windlass
    edited March 2011

Oh, Lena, I'm so sorry. We're glad you're here!

• Lena
    edited March 2011

Thanks windlass.

YKYACPW you "model"/show off to your BOYFRIEND how the new pushup pad equalizes your chest/makes you look WAAAAAY better in clothes -- even though that's a "girl talk" kind of thing.

(The Bra Socks are officially retired as of yesterday. Threw the one I'd been using into the laundry basket and it will become half of a new "mismatched" pair of socks I occasionally wear on my feet simply because I'm eccentric! Been doing THAT for years; that's where I got Bra Socks from in the first place!)

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2011

YKYACAPW you accompany DH to the family GP for his annual checkup and the doctor spends most of the time asking what is going on with you! 

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited March 2011

Lena,

Now you can buy tight shirts to show off your new and improved figure! Just in time for Spring [and today's snow.]

*susan* 

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited March 2011

pj123- I know that feeleng.  1 week before my bmx DH was feeling yucky ( that's the medical term) on a saturday, so we went to the doc in the box place down the raod, when the doc came in and saw me he aske d DH about his symptoms, wrote out a couple of perscriptions and then proceeded to ask about my situation.  I had never met this guy in my life!  I understand he wanted to make sure that I didn't catch anything from DH, but sheez............ I also did not want to tell him my whole tale since it was not my illness that had us there in the first place. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited March 2011

beccad,

Our DHs go through so much with our BC and usually get no attention. It is ALL about me lately and that is not the usual role I play in the family. So I felt kind of bad that he could not be the center of attention for a few minutes. He took it pretty well, at least did not say anything. It's just kind of awkward.

But still nice to know that your "doc in a box" was paying close attention. Not always that way. 

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited March 2011

I have had many doctors ask detailed questions about my cancer and treatment.  I kind of like 'educating' them on triple neg since its still so 'new'.  PJ, love your avatar!  The Real Florida...hmmm, mysterious!

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited March 2011

Tundra-  Thanks...  by the way I hated the wig and wore scarves instead.  I always thought the wig looked like a dead raccoon on my head.  I didn't tell the kid.  But, it looked like a dead raccoon on his head too !

• rzxcd
    rzxcd Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011

When you had long hair your entire life and someone asks why did you cut all your hair off.

• windlass
    edited March 2011

Lena:

Your mismatched socks are part of a very stylish footwear trend. All the cool people, from Albert Einstein to Helena Bonham Carter concur.

Helena Bonham Carter

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW  you realize that you are actually planning for something a year away without fear that your plans will be derailed by the beast or by treatment side effects.

YKYACPW you realize you don't have any surgeries or procedures scheduled and you will actually be able to enjoy the coming summer without planning around recovery time, and you're scared it's a bad omen.  

BTW, it will be 5 years since diagnosis for me next March.  

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    edited March 2011

Wow NativeMainer coming up on 5 years, I can't even wrap my mind around that!

YKYACPW when a "friend" on Facebook posts that she has been diagnosed with LE and you're the only commenting friend that knows what that means.