Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited May 2011

Goodwill is my favorite place to shop....Monday is senior discount day 25% off age 55+ and just about every month they have a 50% off sale...one on Monday, Memorial day...because of GW (as my family referes to Goodwill) I have way too many clothes....and more brand names than I ever imagined....I love those little cardigan sweaters and I wear skirts....I donate there and shop there...as my husband says...he's glad people spend lots of money on their clothes so he doesn't have to!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited May 2011

I, too. love Goodwill  and Salvation Army shopping!  I got some great stuff for reconstruction recovery for next to nothing, and some very nice clothes since recon, again for very little $$.  I also found a computer bag that is perfect for work (visiting nurse) that holds everything I need compactly and neatly for $4.  Brand name clothes I've never been able to afford are now in my closet.  Great places to shop!

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    edited May 2011

YKYACPW you are only buying sensible, cotton, wireless bras now!

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2011

Sigh,  Yes.  Gone are the days of pretty bras in multiple styles and colors.  After buying and returning a dozen bras that just didn't fit me right after my uni-mx, when I finally found something that worked, I bought several of that one type.  Of course, you can get the beautiful colors of white, beige, and black.  Fun.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited May 2011

NM...you did better than I did on the computer bag...I paid 5.99 (less 25%) for one of those carry on computer/overnight bags...its eddie bauer, in almost perfect condition...hoping I have time to take advantage of the 50% off sale tomorrow....I get home from DD and SIL around 10, then have something at noon, meeting a friend who is in town for the week-end for coffee at 2:30 (she moved to Ontario going on 6 years ago) and not sure what else the rest of the day....Have a good Memorial Day.....Karen

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2011

hahaha Faith on buying clothes to HIDE your chest! I'll probably doing just that myself once I'm up to going to the thrift shop.

YKYACPW you're sitting on your deck on a gorgeous day, actively and consciously enjoying being alive for the first time since you started treatment, and you wonder how long will it last. 

• nativemainer
    edited May 2011

YKYACPW--you look at the lawn you mowed yesterday and burst into tears because it's the first summer in 4 years that you can take care of the lawn youself. 

YKYACPW  you have bottles of tylenol in every room of the house, the basement, and the car, and take some before doing anything physical to minimize the aches and pain from the AI you're taking. 

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    edited May 2011

YKYACPW you realize that last spring/summer was a complete bust as you were in treatment and unable to enjoy the weather and outdoors like you do.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited May 2011
  • J9W
    J9W Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2011

Ladies,  I don't usually post here - call me a lurker!  But, I usually laugh out loud reading your comments and I'm missing your humor. So, I'm bumping this up in hopes that someone can add to this topic.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you are secretly glad you now have more hair than your 1-YO niece. Laughing

(last year at this time, we both had peach-fuzz, she as a newborn and me from chemo.)

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you walk into the chemo lounge reception area and the they remember you after seven years. (is that good or bad?!). There are smiles and pleasantries exchanged. Wow, good to see you too.

"how have you been?"

Hmmmm.

My honest answer was, "well except for this damn cancer, not too bad."

Whoops.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited June 2011

YKYACPWhen..........................upon leaving your Onc's office after 3 monthly check-up, your body starts to hurt so bad you want to race back to the office, crawl into the Onc's lap and suck your thumb......................instead you have to patiently sit in a car for three hours, while your body composes an Opus of pain.

Sheila.

• nativemainer
    edited June 2011

Sheila--WHAT was that all about???? That much pain needs to be addressed, you should have gone right back into the Oncs office!  3 hours sitting in the car?  Not good, dearie, not good!  Please tell us you are better now-

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited June 2011

Aussie, I agree with Native, you should have gone back...check that out for sure.

• nell0314
    nell0314 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2011

YKYACP - AGAIN, when you go for your Rad consult for the now newly diagnosed DCIS in your remaining breast, that you can tell the doctor what to expect and I don't have to buy any camisoles, etc. Sheila, I hope you are feeling much better now.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited June 2011

Thanks for your kind thoughts ladies, I am feeling much better now.  Like most of the ladies here, I don't sleep well the night before check-up app't, then we have to get up at 4am to drive (in a fairly rigid 4 wheel drive truck) to the city hospital.  Admittedly, we don't leave home til 5:30 am, but with road-works every few miles, it can take a lot longer that the 3 hrs we allow.  I didn't take any painkillers before departure so..........smack my butt, I had to pay for it, BIG TIME.

I am going for MRI of neck some time in the next week, so we'll have to wait and see what that shows up.

Sheila.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you go out to the driveway to switch the cars so you can sleep later than DH in the a.m. cause he leaves for work first and you back into the driveway in your "new" (used) car concentrating on the side mirrors so you don't hit the neighbors fence and hit a bump pull forward and do it again only to realize you forgot there's another car in the driveway not a stone (thanks chemo brain)! And your DH doesn't scream at you like he would have pre-c.

Good thing I was only going about 1 mph would have been tough to explain to the insurance company.

• Lena
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW only a few moments after you notice you're feeling pretty GOOD mentally and emotionally, it hits you -- you feel good because you're "between treatments" -- no chemo, no AI, no radiation -- so there's no side effects turning you into an exhausted crippled old lady and/or a total stupid moron capable only of lying on a couch watching DVDs.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2011

Marie, that's why they're called bumpers!!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2011

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/753120?page=73#idx_2184

Anyone having trouble with bra fittings and migrating foobs, this is the site you want to go too. Amazing information.  Will be back want to post this on some other sites :)) sheila

• reesie
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you get all excited because it looks like you finally get to have a week off with no dr appts and when the scheduler gives you the date of your next appt you realize the follow up appt you made two months ago is going to be on your week off.

• Lena
    edited June 2011

Oh gosh reesie, I know what you mean and that just totally SUCKS! My treatment center -- so therefore ALL my doctors (other than the eye doctor, whose office is a 5 to 10 minute WALK from my house), nurses and therapists are all 30 miles away, so it's a 60 mile round trip for me to go there. They're USUALLY pretty good at scheduling same-day stuff for me, such as yesterday I had both physical therapy and surgical followup for my recent BMX, but sometimes they can't get ALL of it: next week I go in on Wednesday for labs, PT-INR and an appointment to see my oncologist, but no, I can't see the hematologist on Wednesday too, while I'm already there; I have to go back Thursday to see HER. So two days next week I have to make that trip instead of just one. Oh, and the last time I (thought I) had a week off from medical visits, I got a Friday afternoon phone call from a nurse in the Coumadin Clinic saying my PT-INR blood sample, which had been taken the day before, had been misplaced, and it was really REALLY important for me to come in on Monday (kickoff to the week I thought I'd have totally off from medical visits!) to have it redone. So I told her, "Okay, I'll come in. But, if this ever happens again, you have to come or send someone to MY HOUSE to retake the sample!" Fortunately, it didn't happen again. OK...

YKYACPW you're more surprised that a phone call you just got is from your significant other, a friend or a relative, instead of a doctor, a nurse or the pharmacy's computer telling you your prescriptions are ready.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you can rattle off cancer acronyms/terms/diagnoses more quickly than your nurse practitioner husband!! (i get quite a kick out of that)

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2011

you know you are a cancer patient when.... you look at others in worse shape than you are and feel grateful knowing it could be worse for you too but you feel for them instead.   

You make new friends and even strangers give you hugs.  

You shave your head and Men look at you because your buzz is shorter than theirs but you look pretty good anyway  

• reesie
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you tell your sister about your good scan results and when she says what are you gonna do to celebrate you say get my ovaries removed. And you're only half joking.

• Bonza
    Bonza Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011

When you take your bra off and the "thud" can be heard downstairs..... Oh and you have probably squashed the cat.....

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited June 2011

Bonza, I have sent you a PM (private message).  To retrieve it just click on the PM at the top of the page.......it should be showing a pink #1.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• whatRstatsanyway
    whatRstatsanyway Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you look at the expiry dates on medication and half wonder if they have a better expiry date than yourself (Apr 2015- ummm would be 6 yrs post dx.....)

When you can share and understand the anticipation when your sister gets her "swim boob" in the mail- and then understand the "let down" when the d#@* thing is a size too big and has to be returned

When your Son whispers to you at a "formal" dinner ( Ma, shift your boob, it's in the middle of your chest!) and you try to find a graceful way to make "adjustments" without drawing attention  

• nativemainer
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you see a Breaking News item that heavy coffee intake is linked to lower bc risk and your first thought is "Didn't help me any." 

YKYACP when you are weeding your garden and realize that you don't have to sit down to work for more than a few minutes, and start crying because last summer you didn't think you would ever be able to work in the garden "normally" again.