Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2011

Badger, love it!  Laughing

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

Badger, LOVE it!  Laughing

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2011

And Barkeep do you have any coolcaps?

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011

LOL Christy, Barbe's right, it's the games.  I played a lot when in active tx. 

Word games kept me semi-sharp and helped me fight chemo fog and chemo brain.  Plus when it's the middle of the night and you're all buzzed up on steroids and TV sucks and DH is asleep, BCO was a great place to go and play games.  Hey the people in New Zealand and Australia are here... for them it's daytime LOL! 

I play fewer games now but have made some dear friends and still post nearly every day.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW "sims" is no longer just your computer game......

• Meekone
    Meekone Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2011

Okay true story

YKYACPW your walking through the grocery store and a woman comes up to me and says "Oh my god, I saw under your hat that you have no hair", "Are you going thru Chemo due to Cancer?"....Im like "Yeah" looking dazed and confused, as she proceeds to say "Can I pray for you"....and I say......"hummmmm" and before I know it she has grabbed my hands and has started praying with her head bowed!!!!!

"Dear father we just ask that you take this young lady in your hands oh great lord and heal that which, Oh Dear father.................................................."

can you say "Awkward"

Embarassed

• Meekone
    edited June 2011

Here is a good one, also a true story LOL

YKYACPW you dont want anyone to ride in the car with you while your getting Chemo treatments because you know your stomach is going to hurt even worse if you have to hold that "Chemo Gas" in!  Man that stuff hurts.

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2011

Just found this thread - sooo funny!

YKYACPW:

You offer your level 2 narcs/anti-anxiety meds/etc. to friends. "You have what?  I have a pill for that!"

You shampoo your bald head every single day and wrap a towel around it just because that's what you did with hair.

You spend more time checking out boobs at the beach than a teen-age boy!

You literally dream at night about your hair coming out...

You try every lotion available on the market for your dry skin.

You take your wig/hat/scarf off just to cool down when you have a hot flash.

You sit on the toilet different ways to reduce the pee you get on yourself.

You look at your legs in the sun close up to see if a single hair strand has sprouted yet.

You use your husband's razor trimmers to shave down your hair, again, as it keeps coming out.

You keep trying to get a hold of stubble to see if 1)it's long enough for you to grab onto 2) if hair is still coming out.

• badger
    edited June 2011
    YKYACP when you have learned to appreciate your pubic hair for its role in directing your pee downwards (instead of sideways).  Geez I hated that!  Yell
  • YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

Supersally, ROFLMAO!!!  I can relate to every single one of those!!! 

Badger, I've been trying to "explain" to my DH the role of pubic hair and nose hair without getting too graphic! 

• badger
    edited June 2011

LOL!  Not sure you can explain it without getting graphic - men are not subtle creatures - plus I'm not sure I would have believed it myself without the real-life experience.

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW:

Your DH fantasizes about a "Brazilian Wax," and you know from "chemo experience" it ain't never gonna happen!!!! 

You've ended up screaming in agony while in the shower, because you weren't thinking when you grabbed the shampoo, and inadvertently used the same amount you used to use with hair, which promptly ran into and burned your eyes!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW because of a graft on your ear that you cannot get wet so you cannot wash your hair for a week and to cover this grotty hair you wear a scarf and the butcher (who knows I have cancer) says 'Oh no! you're not doing chemo again are you?'

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

Exactly right, Badger!  I haven't tried to explain this one to him, but I've had to make a couple trips to the ER for high fevers, and both times they needed a "specimen" to look for a UTI...now THAT is an experience I could definitely have done without!  Wink

• sas-schatzi
    edited June 2011

ykyacpw when you say I have to respond to that story and you can't remember which one it was

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited June 2011
    As usual this thread has made my day.Smile
  • supersally
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW:  Your PS tells you you sound like an oncologist after you rattle off your Oncotype DX score and treatment plan

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited June 2011

I wondered why the pee goes everywhere!!!

• Meekone
    edited June 2011

Wow isnt that crazy, the whole pubic hair and pee all over the place thing....that is really an issue.  Also, The toilet paper doesnt work the same anymore....its just off......LOL

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited June 2011

The toilet paper rolls up into little balls that stick in the nooks and crannies! (Or am I the only one to experience this?)

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

Who'd a thunk we could dedicate so many posts to lack of pubic hair????  LOL  Sounds like this is DEFINITELY a universal YKYACPW issue...!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2011

When your DH whines about the blood pressure meds the doc prescribed to him and you laugh at him because you've had poison in your veins and too many drugs to count!!! Men are such babies! LOL!

I love the bartender comment. I'll take 2 big shots of Adriamycin with a Cytoxan chaser! Later, I'll do a Taxol binge!!!

YKYACP when words like "Adriamycin" automatically populate on your iPhone! LOL!!!

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    edited June 2011

. . . when you break into tears at a commercial that was not even very sad or heartwarming in the first place!

• supersally
    edited June 2011

YKYACP:

when you spend more time on bco.org than doing actual "work" - luv my sistahs!

when you know your DH is spoiling for a fight but he bites his tongue because you are in chemo (enjoy it while it lasts, I know)

when you write yourself a million post its and have notes on your phone for EVERY little thing you need to do

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW turning 30 isn't a hinderance, isn't dreaded, but looked forward to

that was me 3 weeks ago.. turning 30 and thankful!

• sas-schatzi
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you have particular places for active paperwork in little piles all over the house. Will over there---EOB's over there ----Asbestosis  suit over there-----research paperwork over there----Mutual fund over there---------car/life/and homeowners over there-----and you don't care if companies coming, b/c if you put them all out of sight , then you just have to re-figuire the piles.

Hi Angel yes I too am happy  to get to be 61 soon L&H's

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2011

SAS- my table as well!  I put place mats on top of the piles and make everyone eat on trays in front of the tv.  

On one of my birthday cards (actual the 25th) someone wrote "Every candle on the cake is another reason to celebrate".  Ohhh, I get it and can do that...be happy about the past 57 years...not thrilled with the prospect of future years unless a bunch of things turn around....but at least I can 'celebrate' the birthday with that in mind without feeling like a hypocrit. 

• badger
    edited June 2011

hdangelbaby - happy belated 30th birthday!

YKYACP when people sponsor luminarias in your honor at the ACS Relay for Life.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW...you're totally SHOCKED when you realize you got through an all-day event which was mostly walking and standing looking at cool things and didn't have to sit down until it was time to leave. And then you wonder if you'll ever be able to do that again because you're heading into your next treatment.

YKYACPW...you need the stuffed rat who you used to just sometimes carry around with you to peek out of your purse instead of just carrying him around, because you know if he's not in your purse you'll probably put him down somewhere and lose him! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2011

Stuffed rat?