Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited June 2011

...When the RO tells you its ok to go around topless and you have teens and little grandchildren visiting.....you tell the DH what the RO said and he just smiles....

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when your hip has been bothering you and you get sent for an x-ray and your tell your DH I sure hope I have arthritis. Then when the Dr calls to tell you it is arthritis not bone mets you are thrilled with the news.

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2011

...when your new SO gets a diagnosis of diabetes and you calmly start punching holes in the doctor's printout of test results, prescriptions and future actions so you can put them in a big binder for future reference. 

• Steff66
    Steff66 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011

... when you can say to your husband : not tonight, honey, I'm toxic.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when someone emails you saying the resume' you've been using for 2 months reads "DATE Entry" instead of "DATA entry".   Jeez, did I really do that ??!!  And now I have to convince them I'm 'detail oriented' and can 'multitask'.  

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited June 2011

TKYACPW  you get super excited about buying shaving cream again!!!!

that was me tuesday!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011

Steff66 LOL good one!

• tamos
    tamos Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2011

YKYACP You are tickled pink (no pun intended) when you can actually feel the wind blow through your very short new hair...:)

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    edited June 2011

. . . when you compare hair length with other patients in the waiting room

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2011

ykyacpw  So happy to  finally have to get a waxing and be happy about it. SharonH

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when the big excitement of your day is realizing that you can actually tuck your hair behind your ear!

YKYACP your bottle of hair conditioner has lasted you just shy of TWO YEARS! 

• Angelice
    Angelice Member Posts: 1,116
    edited June 2011

steff66 lol good one --

txstardust very true .. my girls stole my shampoo and conditioner said i didnt need it Cool although i still used shampoo when i had no hair ,,hmmm

• ewa-swimmer
    ewa-swimmer Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you bring treats to people who are causing you pain because they are gentle about it. (Rad techs, Chemo nurses, PT techs)

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW the sight of a guy walking his dog, shirtless wearing shorts, immediately makes you wonder if YOU can go out shirtless like that now since you don't have breasts anymore.

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited June 2011

I go out in my backyard!  I probably scandalize my neighbors - too bad.  YKYACPW your deodorant has lasted more than a year; I put it on with a very light hand these days.  Wonder what the shelf life is on deodorant?

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited June 2011

Lena, a 60+yr old lady I visited as a support visitor a few years ago, walked around her home without a top while she had plumbers working in/outside her house!  She'd had IBC and both sides mastectomy and figured as there was nothing to see, there was no problem.  It was pretty hot weather here at the time, but I often wondered what the plumbers thought about it all.  The ladies' DH didn't seem to have a problem with it either.

Sheila.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited June 2011

If I couldn't be seen from the road, I would run around topless, too!  I figure since I don't have nipples (opted not to have them remade) I can't be arrested for indecent exposure, but. . .

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

Hahahaha, OK AussieShiela. I'll keep that in mind...maybe...someday.  LOL

YKYACPW you think you could be turned into a pretty good blues number. 

• Teklya
    edited June 2011

. . . when the sight of a gray sky turns you into a puddle

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited June 2011

when you can talk fluently to the next cancer patient you meet @ chemo, radiation, etc. and tell them everything  to expect

• BeckySharp
    BeckySharp Member Posts: 465
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you've forgotten you forgot something.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you haven't worn mascara for months because you know you'll either start crying or your eyes will tear up from chemo and it will run down your face.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when your driving along and feel you need to reset your foobs and don't even think or care what their thinking in the next car

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you see a pink ribbon on a car and think 'you have NO idea...!'

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2011

Your girlfriends joke about having a wet t-shirt contest at a pool party.  You laugh because without nipples, it wouldn't matter if you were in the contest!  LOL!!! 

When you meet your survivor friends and can't recognize each other because every time you get together everyone's hair is different.  :)  

I totally get the excitement of tucking your hair behind your ears!!!!  

After you've had breast augmentation, bilateral mastectomy and recon, exchange surgery and now hardened radiated foob, you have more bras than you can imagine!  And you don't want to throw any of them away in case you may need them down the road.  Now I'm wearing a push up bra to give me symmetry until I get the radiated foob fixed.  And I found out I'm a 34DD, not a 34D and the PS said I would be lucky to be a C after recon!  Tee Hee!!!  :) Problem is that no one makes a push up bra for 34DD.  UGH!!! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you are walking in a light breeze and it's a little chilly, you feel a shiver start up your spine and it heads down your torso and you know it would have made your nips hard, if you had any that is ...  ;-)

• Teklya
    edited June 2011

. . . when the door bells rings and you reach for your ball cap before answering it

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW--you are reading a post about a chilly breeze making someone shiver, and you can feel your own nips hardening and then remember you DO NOT HAVE any nipples, and SMILE!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you cry harder for one of your bco sisters than you do for a family member when they pass Cry

(not IMMEDIATE family, but hey, I'm just sayin'...you know?) 

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2011

...when you finally get to the front of the line to return something, and they announce loudly that you are in the wrong store.  But ya' know, I wasn't embarrassed.  After all this s**t, not much can rattle me.  I just mumbled OK, and wandered away...

My girlfriends were bitchin about a rude mutual friend, and I chimed in with, 'it's not even a blip on my radar'.  (and I meant it)