Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited June 2011

that's alive when, you read the sign at the blood draw that says, "female tects available upon request", My response.... Are there male ones available also? When they were done drwing my blood work they had an old fat ugle male and pointed out to me that there were males ones there if I so desired.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited June 2011

TnbcRuth: Ohmigosh - I did exactly that last week! LOL! I brought crackers into a store to return them and the manager said, "You didn't buy those here." I said, "Yes, I did. I KNOW I did since I just bought them yesterday!" Then he pointed to the price sticker on the package and yes indeedy, it was from a DIFFERENT STORE. Hahaha - forehead slap!

I also know what you mean about saying, "Okay, so sorry," and just calmly walking out.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you love BCO sisters you've never met, who live in places you've never been to, and whose real names you may never know.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited June 2011

Badger, so true...the sisters I never had.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited June 2011

forgot to add, ...at least something good came of cancer...new friends

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you have to set up two different surgeries and you get excited when the gyn says she does surgeries on the same day as the BS so she'll talk to her about doing them same day under one anesthesia tag team style. You were gonna ask for that but thought there would be no way and she brought it up :)

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited June 2011

When your foob flies out of your bra when you take it off and bounces across the room....

• YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when strangers come up to you in the store and ask to pray for you... 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2011

Well-------- if you believe ---------say thank you very much ------------if you don't believe  thank you very much, but I don't believe---------smile in either case and walk away

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2011

I am always aware that not everyone believes, so I kind of keep my praying to myself unless someone asks and then I acknowledge it.

It's like serving fish for a dinner party. Not everyone likes it, some can't stomach it, it would actually make some people sick, and you'd risk having some walk out.

Does that seem too flip an analogy?

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

SAS and Barb, I guess it's more of the loss of anonymity, rather than the fact the last couple specifically asked if they could pray over me, if you know what I mean?  Maybe I should have phrased my response as... 

YKYACP when you worry you're going to end up on the "People of Walmart" website because of the way you're dressed/hair looks/make-up looks, etc. every time you walk into Walmart!  LOL! 

I'm sure I was a mess...I had a hot flash after getting in the store, and took off my jacket and tied it around my waist...I was wearing sweat pants, workout top, my lymphedema sleeve and gauntlet, still had the bright green bandage around my elbow from the blood draw from chemo earlier, a band-aid over my port, and a purple motorcycle do-rag on, that may or may not have rubbed off the penciled-in eyebrows...I could very easily turn up on that website after this experience!  Hahahahah

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2011

Natalie,

You made me laugh! Thanks for the chuckle.

• barbe1958
    edited June 2011

I see your point Natalie!! Very well explained....so DO you like fish? ehehehhehhee

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited June 2011

I DO, I DO.... We have fish fries ALL the time. Love catfish, my favorite. In the summertime we go catch them ourselves. I know baked is better for me, but I love deep fat fried.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2011

yamahamama - what color sweats were you wearing, so we can recognize you when you show up on the site?  Florida is the hot spot for those pics of the very young and ignorant and the very old and confused....so SD can claim one member too :)  

My first trip to WalMart during this nonsense, I burst into tears (was overwhelmed) and hid sobbing in the plus size dept. for 1/2 hr calling friends to come get me.  It started in the grocery section, so I sat on the bench first and cried and then moved to a less crowded area.  I would get it together, wipe my eyes, take a deep breath, and then the thought of making my way out of the store brought floods of tears again.  I did my grocery shopping at WalGreens for the next 6 months, and have just graduated to once weekly at Publix.  Woo hoo    

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011

Barbe, I DO like fish!  In fact, I can't decide if it will be fish tonight or lasagna...I am DEFINITELY not one of those "lost my appetite" chemo patients! 

Ruth, luckily, the sweats and top were both black, but everything else was a mess!  Walmart can be such an overwhelming experience at times...I'm so sorry it was so traumatic for you!  I remember my first "public outing" after my MX...my DH and I went to the new Sam's Club for the "grand opening."  I was very "protective" of my surgery side, and did very well, given the store was PACKED...  As we're standing in the checkout line, however, someone from the next aisle over reaches over and grabs that shoulder, and I jumped...turned out it was a guy I had gone to high school with 30 years ago.  Of course, I, being self-conscious, and thinking something probably "felt weird," blurted out I had just had surgery, and he felt awful...poor guy. 

Anyway, I know Walmart isn't a lot of fun for most people, let alone when you're not feeling on top of your game, but I hope you can eventually feel comfortable with shopping again.  I'm not familiar with Publix, but I know I can't afford to do my Walmart shopping at Walgreens!  LOL 

• sacphotomom
    sacphotomom Member Posts: 28
    edited June 2011

Bonza LOL that was great!

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW... you know you'll be "glowing" when you hug your boyfriend on his birthday.

• reesie
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you can say in casual conversation at work when talk turns to different alcoholic beverages "I'm not drinking now. I take my poison intraveneuosly these days. Literally".

• badger
    edited June 2011

Marie, that reminds me of a bartender I once knew.  When he took your drink order, he'd ask, "What's your poison?"  Hoo boy would he get a different answer now.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited June 2011

LOL Reesie and Badger!!!

YKYACPW... when you realize that even when you're feeling good, what that means is you're only feeling "mostly" good -- there's almost always something that hurts or bothers you, and when it finally stops, it's time for the next one.

(I wish this would f***ing end already: I get acceptably better from chemo then I'm slammed into over a year of feeling almost as bad on AIs; I get to go off AIs, recovery from THAT begins and as soon as I notice I'm feeling better and maybe even getting a couple more of my marbles back, whammy: BMX! 3 and a half weeks after the BMX when I can finally give my Pack Rat a BIG hug I'm being rushed through physical therapy -- OUCH -- so I'll be able to position my arms over my head for upcoming rads. How much do you wanna bet that I'll get all my ROM back then I get rads...and fatigue...and bad skin.... GRRRRR. It just occurs to me why my original plan when I found the original lump was to let nature take its course: I KNEW I wouldn't have much of an actual LIFE anymore so why not just die and get it over with?)   :::::sigh:::::

• barbe1958
    edited June 2011

Well, you could Lena....but they've made you half-way healthy so it would take a bit longer!

• reesie
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when you get tagged in a FB note and one of the items on your list of questions is what color is your hair and you can answer hair? what's that?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2011

YKYACP when your explaining to your doc why you got a crush on your PS and you automatically without thinking show him how the foob massage works. He jumped two feet out of his chair.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited June 2011

LOL!  Shiela that one really made me laugh.  hahaha!

• YamahaMama
    edited June 2011
    So, Badger, I'd love to see the bartender's face when you say, "Give me an IV of Taxotere, with a Cytoxan back."  Wink
  • badger
    edited June 2011
    LOL Natalie, how about a dexamethasone appetizer. Oh and don't forget the Zofran. Tongue out
  • AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2011

YKYACPW you have 16,594 posts!  Wow Badger!  I'm very impressed with that number!

• barbe1958
    edited June 2011

Some of us play the word games which move very quickly. I used to watch my numbers rise, and now don't even pay attention until someone mentions someone's number of posts. I won't know what I'm up to until I hit submit!!

• barbe1958
    edited June 2011

Hah! Badger has me beat on posts per year, that's for sure! hehee