Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

Holy crap, Windalss, that's exactly what I'm starting to feel now that I'm close to my exchange surgery. I haven't been able to describe it to my friends and family but your totally right, you feel kidnapped. Good way to put it.

...when you realize that nose hairs help stop the snot from running down your face when you've been crying.

• orlandpark65
    orlandpark65 Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2011

The face hair.  Wow.     I'm cracking up ladies.   It's bad enough we have all these self esteem issues but REALLY facial hair. I was happy my eyebrows, eyelashes are back, hair growing then looked in the mirror and saw the Elvis sideburns.  How mean!   What do you do about the facial hair?

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Go on the road as an Elis impersonatoer....

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited September 2011
    orland - check out the hair hair hair thread for what people do about facial hair. Among others, I just shaved it off!Surprised
  • survivor11
    edited September 2011

I meant Elvis impersonater

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited September 2011

I have those damn things too OP!  I waxed.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

When you think and inch of hair on your head is a fantastic thing. Before BC, if your hairdresser had accidently cut you that short, you'd be ready to sue.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2011

...when you consider the first hair in your food a reason to smile! (now if only it was long enough to tie back in a scrunchie when cooking/eating, the way I used to before BC!)

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

YamahahM---------at least your husband told you. I'd have friends at work that would pull out their scissors to cut what needed cutting. I couldn't see them and guess he couldn't either.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

When people use terms like velveten rabbit, chia pet, baby hair, guinea pig for describing your head.

When your BF and you annoy each other by rubbing your respective stubble on each others necks.

Seriously think of coming up with a petition for Walgreens to put in an express drive thru lane for cancer patients only.(we do enough waiting)

When your friends get annoyed because you can put your favorite teams logo on your head for everyone to see on gameday.

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

...when strangers have had your breasts in their hands more times this week than you have or

...when your husband starts complaining that everyone gets to touch your brests but him. (jokingly of course) 

...when your son aks, "are you just gonna keep letting them cut holes in you?" (happened yesterday after port placement) 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2011

Iwarstler, how old is your son? He's funny.  Gave ame a good chuckle.

• lwarstler
    edited September 2011

He's 12 but has Asperger's (high functioning autism). He is super sweet and does end up saying lots of funny things...for example...

We were walking in to eat at a restaurant and he informed me that when I lost my hair, I could buzz his hair (not shave just buzz.) On the way out after eating, I told he and my daughter excitedly that I wanted to show them the wigs the cancer center gave me when we got home and he got big eyed and said, "wait, if your gonna wear a wig then I'm not buzzing MY head!"  Too cute. 

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited September 2011

Windlass- exactly my sentiments!!!  Picking up the pieces after the abduction has really been a challenge, and unless you've been thru it, you have no idea.  My friends are like, 'oh good!  you're fine now'!"  NOT !!!  This belongs on the bitch/moan thread, but jeez, the SE's are relentless...like you're stabbed during the kidnapping and you can't quite reach to get the knife out.

• yizbieta
    yizbieta Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2011

rtnbcRuth-

Wait! There is an bitch/moan thread?? WHERE ? WHERE??  I need it!

• yizbieta
    yizbieta Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2011

windlass- exactly. Well put!

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2011

You are all too funny!   :-)  Thank goodness for this thread!

Here's mine from today:

When your kids say, "Mom, you look like a boy."  And the nicest one sees your hurt expression and says, "Not all of you does--you look like a boy except for... well, no, nevermind, ALL of you looks like a boy!" 

At least they are honest!  :-)

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited September 2011

Maybe we need an "I've been abducted by cancer" thread. 
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling that way.

YKYACP when you own more hats than pairs of shoes.

• YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2011

Mom2twins34, we really do have to appreciate the honesty of children, but DARN, it hurts sometimes, hearing what comes out of the mouths of babes!  (((hugs))) 

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2011

Thanks, yamahamama!  :-)

Windlass, I think an "I've been abducted by cancer" thread is a great idea!  I was laughing when I read the analogy because I think it's so true...  Perfect sentiment!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW you have the heat on in the house (because it's cold out) but you have a fan blowing on you (because having the heat on gives you hot flashes).  Gonna be a long winter LOL! 

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2011

It's winter?  We're still having 90 degrees down here.  Sigh.  YKYACPW you run outside after the escaping dog without a shirt, and just worry that your scars will freak someone out.  Oh, and the lack of nipples.  That could freak out the neighbors.  Dang dog made me run around for about 10 minutes, too.  Little bastard.

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2011

Hi  bookart   Would love to see some of your art. Maybe it was so hot that it was nice running around outside without your shirt. You can always blame your dog. Ha Ha  SharonH

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813
    edited September 2011

Bookart: Give us a link to your art!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2011

LOL bookart!  It's actually still fall but we had an early cold snap last week.  It was in the 30's and 40's a couple nights.

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2011

...when you have chemo brain and misspell "you're".  Forgive me but as a journalism major I just had to do it!  I notice there are 98 pages to this thread so I may not have been the first to make the joke - which it definitely intended to be!

Wink

• lwarstler
    edited September 2011

mom2twins: ouch!! gotta love their honest little hearts.

....when you try different style wigs so much that the little kids in the neighborhood ask your son how many moms he has.

• lwarstler
    edited September 2011

mom2twins: ouch!! gotta love their honest little hearts.

....when you try different style wigs so much that the little kids in the neighborhood ask your son how many moms he has.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2011

lwarstler, that's too funny! Gotta love kids and their "say what's on your mind" approach to life.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

Windlass your description is so priceless. Every word is so true. I'm going to take it to my counselor and tell him this is the issue we (me and him) have to get through to heal. Thank you, breakthrough , I was stuck and couldn't bring to the surface why.  HUGE HUGS GIRL