Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited September 2011

Page 99!!! Who's going to be the first to post on page 100?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

Windlass, I got your Pm responding to mine. But I reached my limit for PM's for today. Bummer. I will respond when the machine let's me, but didn't want you to think I wasn't answering L&H's sas

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited September 2011

Glad to see you got home okay Sas!  I had such a great day with you yesterday, thank you once again.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW you're both excited and disappointed that your last chemo is delayed...

• MOELACH
    MOELACH Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011

When your six year old daughter tells the Mall Santa "My mom has cancer.  All I want for Christmas is for her not to die."

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Chrissy------ditto L&H's sas

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

...when you go through 3 pairs of clothes during the night. (warm clothes to go to sleep in, cause you've made the house so cold cause of the hot flashes, tank top only for the hot flash that hits in the middle of the night, warm clothes again cause you got sweaty during the hot flash then got cold cause the house was so cold because of the hot flashes-ugh!!!!)

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2011

If you google elainetaylorart (all one word) it should take you to my flickr photostream, which is the best I can do right now.  I'm working on learning how to design web pages, so I can have something  which I don't hate and that I can edit and update myself.

• bookart
    edited September 2011

BTW - I'm not married to Christopher Plummer, I'm not a book author or a recording musician, so ignore those other Elaine Taylors!  You will find a few listings about my art.

• bookart
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW - you see the first pink groceries on the shelf and groan

• suebak
    suebak Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2011

When you dr calls and says you have a herniated disc and your reply is "YES"

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

MOELACH, didn't know if I should laugh or cry

How about when your smart allec teen jokes that your just jealous her hair and soon her boobs will all be bigger than yours 

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2011

@bookart, I just had a look at your Facebook page, some pretty cool stuff there.  I love the zinnias.  Is it just me, or are the circle pieces inspired by breasts?

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited September 2011
    .....................When you were at the finish line  for 5 years since your daughter has been doing the Susan B. Korman 3 day..........................and realize this year ................she is walking for you...........Cry
  • survivor11
    edited September 2011

...when you find see pubic hair again and have to restrain yourself from calling everyone you know to share the "good" news.

...when you find yourself becoming the new "show and tell" object for your 5 and 7 year old, cause you can now see the hair growing back on your head.

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2011

…when you have to explain to people that they have met you before, you were just wearing your hair that day.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited September 2011

ykyacpw..... people are starting to give you "pinktober" stuff .. and its september

but you know what?

i'm going to smile, and gratefully thank them when they do, you know why?

they don't understand how we think about it, they just think it's a way of support.. and if someone is out there, looking at that pink ribbon t shirt, and thinking of me, then thinking "wow, maybe i ought to make an appt to get checked" (which has happened alot since i was diagnosed with co workers) then that's ok with me. they are thinking about me, and they are thinking about themselves. getting a breast exam.

you all can chuck me in the fire, on the other forum if you want to.. but..

i cannot afford the butterfly tattoo i want so badly, not till next year anyways.. so

we wear aprons at work, so i am going to have an artistic co worker draw my tattoo i want and paint it on my apron, on the left side, since that is where i had cancer, and wear it . it can kind of be my like temporary tattoo till i can get the real one Wink

hugs--Angel

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2011

Good idea about the tattoo on the apron!! And, FYI, we do not throw fellow members on the fire, so you are safe for now!

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited September 2011

oh good!! lol!! i think it's a neat idea, and i know it will prompt questions from people, but in october i'm willing to talk about it. Idaho ranks one of the LAST states for mammograms and early detection. mostly because there are alot of farmers here, and alot of out of country help, and they don't usually have health insurance. so by the time they find a lump it is end stage. so i went on the local news to tell my story, and to try to advocate a bus that goes to rural areas to give low cost or free mammograms during october, it will air the first week of october

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited September 2011

Good for you angel!  Both on the news story and on the pinktober issue.  I will remember that when I get the "pink stuff" too.  Thank you.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Angel-------GO GIRL. everything you said was so right. Saving one life, gives you such a great feeling. When I was DX'd and it was put on the family net. I asked that everyone get checked. One first cousin found BC an had a MX and is doing great and it's two years later. Cool

Angel , Barbies right we sit around the fire watching who or what we throw in and cyberspace hug each otherSmile

Yes Chabba I agree with you,  Angel has changed my mind, I was really getting jaded about Pink, i'll behave myself and just smile too. I have tried a couple of times to explain how we feel. The looks are just total non-understanding. The understanding will never come until...............

Last year @ publix's it took all the restraint I had when asked for a donation , to not pull up my shirt and say I've donated.

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW: the highlight of your day is being the first to post on page 100 of the thread, You Know You're a Cancer Patient When...

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

2 minutes ago, edited a few seconds ago by sas-schatzi wrote:  I'm re-postig this from another thread. tested hyperlink. There are implications , not just for us, but all women and childern males as well as females. Children being exposed to high levels of estrogen. Could explain why early onset puberty has been such a problem. AND newborns being born that have signs of going through puberty.

I'm even more bummed that article was published in DEC 2006. It should have been a Public Health Warning issued from some agency. You noticed that at the end of the article they said they were going to lay low. It was fascinating that the Mongolians to empirically figure this out and have been doing it for 2 thousand years. That's HUGE.

TO ALL---read the below hyperlink.-----How it affects us is--- Now we may have to make choices about milk.

Another thought the government has NOT dealt with the public impact of what this article identifies. Guess it's not politically correct.

I'm going to add the hyperlink here and re-post it on a couple of threads.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2011

We've known about the hormones in milk for years, but being lactose intolerant I've stayed away from milk for over 30 years. Even my kids weren't brought up on milk. They got water as they grew up.

As for pink. When October hits and people ask me why I'm not doing the pink thing, I tell them it's for THEM, not for me. They get it.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited September 2011

Discussions of the role of estrogen in the development of breast cancer always get me wondering if polysistic ovarian syndrome has any role in the development.  I've been a low consumer of outside sources of estrogen after the age of 14 when my dairy consumption dropped radically.  birth control the first two years of marriage.  started hormones when I got hot flashes in my 50's but only took them a couple of months (we moved, new pharmacy wanted new Rx, didn't get around to getting refil, no more hot flashes--how easy was that?)  But how much extra estrogen did I produce since my overies never shut down once a month?

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Barbe again-the hyperlink will explain something we didn't know--------------The USA allows the milking of pregnant cows in the last half of their pregnancy. That milk has a greater estrogen load. This we have not been warned of. It's not man's addition of estrogen. It's man not working with mother nature to prevent people from getting an estrogen load unknowingly. Please take time to read the full article.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Got to tell you what the girls at work did for Pinktober. We are OR nurses and ofcouse have to wear hats so one of my girls had her very talented mother make pink OR hats with hot pink ribbons all over them with our names on them. I hated pink before I got BC and moreso now, but their support and love with this gesture was very touching and moving. They have been wearing them since I was forced to stop working in May. The great part is that it get the conversation started with patients about why they wear the hats and what it means. Two birds, one stone-I can live with a little pink I suppose.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

From one OR nurse to another. I worked in the OR in the 70's. Our director outlawed the use of homemade caps b/c of infection control concerns. Guess she was ahead of her time. I have seen them in one hospital I had surgery at in 09. Surprised. They aren't washed everyday. Next time I have surgery and they have homemade caps on I will remember to ask them to be removed. I would love to have your friends hats cultured to see how many and type of organisms cultured up.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Our hospital mandate that they are washed everyday so they do. Clean ones are waiting for us in the am. That's how we started back using made hats.

I use to work at a place that gave you 5 pairs of scrubs to wear for a year. Was our responsiblity to wash them.

Funny how things change over and over again.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited September 2011

Never mind washed - aren't things sterilized before being used in the OR?