Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2011

survivor11: I found that my One a Day, fish oil, CoQ10 all have it. I take more but that was what I was looking for yesterday and they all had it. 

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

Crap I take One a day, what is it thats so bad bout it?

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2011

My nutritionist at my cancer center said to stay away from soy if you are ER+, that it tends to make the body produce more estrogen if I remember the explanation correctly. Also, though it is a topic of much debate. If you start trying to research it, you will find arguments in both directions on soy. I found it in my protein bars, french onion dip, supplements, imitation crabmeat… I had no idea I was getting so much of it until she asked me to start watching it.

• peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    OMG Shelley2011 you made me LOL:

someone at work sends you a breast cancer awareness email. Really? I am pretty aware of breast cancer right now!!!!
  • peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW

...your nice Midwestern sense of physical modesty has flown out the window. On at least two occasions I was in a front-opening gown, being led down the hall by a nurse, and she turned and said, "oh, let's cover you up" and she tied my gown to cover the girls.

...your dermatologist says, "there's just this one mole, very very minor, probably nothing, but something we might want to watch" and you give her that look, and she says, "Or we can take it off right now."

...your pain threshold has been completely reset after getting four injections around your nipple (yow!) prior to your SNB. In that last month I've gotten shots by that dermatologist and a dentist and hey, no big deal. Oh, is that a needle in my mouth?

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

LOL on the pain threshold thing.  I keep telling people I just have one little surgery and a couple of procedures left and they look at me like I've lost my mind.  I probably have. 

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

...when you don't care anymore if your dressed when the cable guy comes in to install the new modem!  (This morning, my husband was like, "um, honey the cable guy has to come up, do you need a minute to go upstairs?" I yell back, "NO, I had a rough night, its only 8 am and I have on pj's let him up!" )

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Thanks for the info J-Bug.

Totally get the same reaction bcisnofun.

...when your bathroom cabinet that use to be filled with hair products now has a huge variety of body mosturizers, body oil, stretch mark cream, lotions, creams, the list goes on and on.

• mutt1963
    mutt1963 Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2011

There is soy in the ice cream I use to eat along with soy in peanut butter,and soy in Ensure. If you read the tiny print there is soy in alot of stuff you wouldn't believe. I think the soy/estrogen topic can be found on LiveStrong, its been a while since I read it but have been trying to avoid soy since.

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2011

Well if Japanese women eat a lot of soy and they have low incidences of breast cancer, how does that make any sense?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

Chiluver------the stats on cancer in the Japanese have really change as they have taken on a more westernized diet.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2011

chililuvr1228, I think that it has to do with the heavily processed soy products.  Eating soy in tofu form or edamame is ok, but the soy based ingredients in other foods are the ones to try and stay away from.  If possible.

YKYACPW you used to read food labels for calories, fat and salt content, and now you look for soy products.

....you wash yourself with shampoo and wash your hair with body wash.  Two days in a row.  Thank you, chemo brain.  I finished chemo in August 2010.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Peggy, All three of your comments are so bloody true..............

YKYACPW--------1996 my Twin screamed at her BS "Why did I have to find out about LE from my plumber"----Plumber came for sink, she was in her pj's in her nest on the couch. She explained she was recovering from 2nd surgery and he saw her arm. His wife had BC and LE. Plumber told her about the LE treatment center. Second irrational occurrence same BS, he asked my twin about the LE center and where it was located b/c his MIL had just developed LE. He was a BS for several decades, didn't care about LE until it was close to home.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited September 2011

on soy:

my onc and surgeon both said it's not so much the soy lechiting or soy in our supplements because it's not PURE soy. it's tofu and edamame and such that we need to watch. pure soy in it's form.

you will make yourself crazy and nuts, and hungry for that matter looking for foods that do not contain ANY soy. it's in about everything we eat now.

my doc says to be more concerned with stress levels, and weight control.

he also says "drink your wine, go out there and live your life, the less stress the better!!"

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2011

when you have to tell customers at work, that relentlessly ask, how you keep your hair so shiny, that it is a wig

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Zumbagirl---------Just say thanks and give them a smile and say it's a secret  or give them a name of your old hair product.  Or when you say they are relentless thats a key--------the response should be---what is it that you are really asking.

• trinity927
    trinity927 Member Posts: 479
    edited September 2011

you know you're a cancer patient when ...

the alarm clock goes off at 5 AM and you're so happy to hear it ...

and, when your boss calls you into his office to ask "I've noticed you've been extremely nauseated in the morning lately ... tell me truthfully, are you pregnant?"

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW--you realize it's almost October and you start dusting off the stock responses to all the "pink questions" you're going to get:

"I've already donated both breasts and 3 years of my life." 

"My budget doesn't allow for donations until I'm through paying for my treatment." 

But usually I just say "Sorry, not enough in the budget right now."

Maybe this year I'll take all the pink buttons and things I get and put them on one short and see if I can completely cover the fabric with pink thingys. . . 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2011

when someone compliments you on your hair and yous say "thank you, I just picked it up."

• Chava
    Chava Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011

ykyacpw you have asked your oncologist and nutritionist the same question about soy because their answers are different from what you read on this board.........my onc showed me a study about 5000 Chinese women.....the more soy then LESS reoccurrence. When soy is in a Petrie dish it makes cancer grow in humans it blocks are real estrogen so it helps prevent Cance and reoccurrence. In China the women with the highest soy intake had reoccurrence levels similar to those on tomoximifin. My nutritionist also says latest research on soy protein is good. Leave the processed stuff alone.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2011

I read that you should not change your old habits with respect to soy.  If you've been eating soy since adolescense (like the Japanese), keep eating it, it won't increase your chances for reoccurence and is good for you.  If you haven't been eating, don't start.  I think until there is more definitive answers, that is what I'll go with. 

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2011

Re: SOY -

My complementary medicine doctor said that soy in PURE forms - tofu, edameme, tempeh, etc. are OK.  Soy milk, soy supplements are not as much.  I asked her specifically if soy lecithin was a concern and she said not to worry about it.  Focus on clean eating and exercise.  Don't try to pin BC on soy.

That's the stance I'm taking on parabens as well.  There is no way to completely clean up our diets and make them free of anything that could harm us.  COmmonsense and a bit of balance are necessary to find what works for each individual, IMHO.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2011

That is my philosophy as well.  I am going to clean up my eating habits some, less sugar, using organic milk and organic fruits or veggies if I buy the "dirty dozen".  Getting more veggies, less meat in the diet, but that's about as much as I can do.  I can't worry about soy or parabens being in everything.  I can't believe if I do get a recurrence, it will be from that.  I give a lot of credit to someone who can eliminate it though.  Would be too hard for me.

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2011

Kay, it would be far too expensive for my family to eliminate all soy, parabens, cleaners, etc. from our home.  I know that some have the income to support a fully organic and/or grain-fed diet.  We simply do not. 

I do the best that I can with what we have.  It's far from perfect.  But it's better than it was a year ago.  I'm at least more aware of the toxins/bad stuff in what we use around the house and put in our bodies.  I'm certainly a work in progress...

Personally, I think losing the weight I need to lose is more beneficial in terms of my health than if I eat edameme or use lotion from B&BW.  Now if I could get back on track with losing weight.... 

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

I have always eaten a veg and fruit rich diet, avoided alot of red meat, have maintained my same weight since I was 20, exercise 4-5 days a week, had 3 pregnancy, breast feed 3 babies, have no family history and was 39 at dx. Sometimes shit just happens. I worked tooooooo hard and gave up tooooo much over the last 6 months to spend the rest of my life worried about everything I out in my mouth. This month it's soy, next it will be corn. I will continue to eat healthy and keep my body healthy but I refuse to give cancer anymore thoughts in my head, especially grocery shopping. It would feel good I suppose to be able to blame something or someone for this crap, but the truth is, some of us are going to get cancer and some of us won't with little regard to the things we do in our lives.

Atleast that's how I see it.

• Denise2730
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW - people who haven't seen you since your diagnosis always say "Hi, how are you doing?" and then look at your chest. I just wanna say "SURPRISE - I have new ones!"

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW

...you are coming out of the bathroom rolling up your diaper as the neigbors kid is knocking on the door with her fundraiser

...you are getting ready to go to the wedding and hopping in the shower and come out leaving a big fuzz fest behind...darn hair couldn't hold on just 2 more days...LOL

...you shed the entire time at the wedding - the poor reception bathroom and the cutest little 6 year old watching my hair fall out - I told her it was just something that happens to me and she didn't have to worry about it at all (Lord, I hope I told her a true statement)

...and finally, I get home from the wedding and my neighbor is bringing my dog home - she has a little box tucked under her arm -  open it and it is a wig...a gal she works with used to have a wig shop and had a couple left in inventory - she donated it to me...teary eyes.  Thats when you know you are a cancer patient.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2011

...when you join a new health club and at the fitness consultation they ask on what parts of the body you want to work on...you say "everything, but my tummy fat.  I need that tummy fat for a surgery."

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

...when u go for a massage and you cant find much geography for them to work on.  I had lat dorsi flaps, so be careful with the back, be careful with the arms (lymph nodes), can't lay on stomach well yet, be careful with the port site...

• Denise2730
    edited September 2011

BCISNOFUN - I had to chuckle at your post. Do you at least get a nice foot massage?