Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

Yes things are sterilized, but not clothing. Washing has proven over and over again in studies to kill any organisms on clothing, sheets, pillowcase, etc.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

Survivor , have they been studied after the transit from home to the hospital or are you saying they are washed and ready at the facility they work in to be picked off the shelf to change into? sorry I missed the line where you said you had to wash. Hmmm wouldn't work in my car with my dogs, I suppose I'd have to bag them and change in the locker room

Glad to here your facility is washing caps everyday-------that's a relief. What caused them to switch. As long as they are fresh washed I think it's great. I loved my old hats. We competed on designs. Then boom paper hats from 3M.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Gilly-------OR nurses made page one hundred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually linens are washed at a central facility in most towns/cities, transported back with a simple plastic slip cover that doesn't cover the bottom. Put on an open loading dock, then taken to different areas

The only linens sterilized are TOTAL HIPS/KNEES

Survivor---correct me if I'm wrong . It's been allot of years since I worked the OR.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Yeah, the whole washing your own scrubs thing didn't go over well with the nurses so we forced the facility to have them sent out with the other linens-apparently they use special detergents etc.

The hospital I work now is large enough that they do their own linens, not sent out so our standards our based on our policies and that is that linens, hats, etc are exposed to high temp steam before being brought specifically to the OR. Joint Com. inspects these regs every year to insure that we are meeting minimal requirements and were are always told that we way overdue what is req. Only true requirement for linens is that they are washed at high temps and that they are clean and free of stains. According to standards, the only requirement is that the surgical area that you are working on, must have a sterile undercover and draping after area is preped. So for example if working on breast, area is preped then sterile drapes place under both sides of pt and sterile draped placed over preped area. I know it's hard to keep up whats right this moment and what will be right the next.

I still encounter physicians everyday that aside from scrubbing for cases, will go one pt to another without washing their hands, say for example on the floors or in their offices.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2011

SAS I did read the article all the way through. I understand that the other countries only milk their cows for 5 months of the year and not when they are pregnant and full of hormones. Again, humans aren't meant to drink milk! Baby cows ARE. I've ALWAYS held that belief and your link proves it more!

• jackifp
    jackifp Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2011

Ykyacpw you do a happy dance in celebration of the row of itsybitsy eyelash hairs that are growing in.

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2011

ykyacpw your doctor says they'll wait until you after you are all done with treatements, healed, well and life is back to normal and then they'll do more surgeries...What??!!

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Barbe-------I don't disagree now ---------on the other site forget which , but Riley and I had a chat, I then googled Ganmaa and put in a couple more hyperlinks. One is statements from other docs and Ganmaa and it is all related to cancers. The other is from Ganmaa by himself, this article is a hx of milk and mammals. From his writings , he has made it his life's work to get this message out. Again thanks for the other thing

• lwarstler
    edited September 2011

...when you decide its time for a haircut so you take your hair OFF and trim it over the trash can :) Best part of wearing a wig.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited September 2011

you always liked the color pink and now you can't wear it without wondering if everyone thinks you ahve breast cancer.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Fluffqueen ----I so agree, Pink is one of those colors that just is right for my complexion---red too. Now I think twice before I put it on. Bummer

• barbe1958
    edited September 2011

fluffqueen, you'll find as you go further along your breast cancer journey that it's the women WITHOUT bc that wear the pink!!! Wear it, and wear it proud!

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

...when you have to throw out any perfumes, lotions, body sprays or anything of that nature you used during chemo because the smell of it now almost makes you physically ill.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Survivor 11---too true , the same with once favorite foods. Don't eat favorite foods while on chemo!!!

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2011

Angelbaby - I received some financial help from an artist's organization, so I went on a radio show to talk about why - a ton of people heard it and I hope it helped with awareness and contributions.  And dutchgirl, a number of people have mentioned that the circles could be breasts, but I don't purposely go there...

• barbe1958
    edited September 2011

I saw the circles as infinity. A contained environment. A controlled substance. A whole bunch of different things. What do they mean to you, Bookart?

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited September 2011

When co workers come up to you and ask you to help them with the insurance statements they receive.  I have so many they think I am an expert now.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2011

..when everyone you know asks you to donate/sponcer them in a walk/run/hike/bike/dance/fashion show for breast cancer...How can I say no.  My wallet says no, but my heart says yes.  So I can only give a little to each,and I look cheap.  I am still trying to gain financial ground after being off for almost a year and paying for neupogen shots.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

micheleboot-what are these people stupid. Do they not understand what all this financially costs us? I'd raise my shirt and say.."Sorry I gave already."

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Micheleboot----talk to the social worker at your cancer center,    Health Well Foundation will help with certain drugs, if my memory serves me correct neupogen was one. It seems to me they covered about 2100$ for my Dh. It might have been neulasta.  Either way it's worth a call

1-800-675-8416 ro 1-800-282-7692. keep asking what other drugs they will cover. They cover a bunch, but our insurance covered them , so irony is we got approved for grant money we couldn't use.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    edited September 2011

Too funny, Dawn!  But sadly true.  I have been getting calls to donate to different breast cancer charities.  I think they some how got my name from having cancer.  I told them I'd like to contribute, but I'm not working right now and having cancer is expensive.  Michelleboot, please don't feel badly to say the same.

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2011

YNYACPW…you are told that you should be taking about 7 different supplements by your doctor and you go to the drugstore and find that you can't buy any of them because your doctor also tells you to stay away from soy (being ER+).

(Of course, there are expensive alternatives that most cancer patients can't afford. Frown )

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

What supplements have soy?Curious.

...when your 5 year old now insists on falling asleep on the couch rubbing your soft fuzzy head, like I've turned into a woppy blanket or something.

...when even your cat gets into the act and keeps rubbing her head against yours, even in the middle of the night which wakes you up which ticks you off because the damn Tamoxifen won't let you sleep and you have to get up three of four times a night anyway cause you think if you get out of bed it will make it easier to fall back asleep or go to sleep in the first place if you don't stay in it, which sucks cause you need your sleep to combat the fatigue your still feeling post chemo even though it's been 7 wks PFC,  but since your up anyway you go look in the mirror for the millionth time today to see if you can see anymore hair growth, then you try to go back to bed and realize that your knees are hurting again fromt he Tamoxifen so you get up take some Advil, lay back down, close your eyes then start to worry how the hell your going to pay all the medical bills that keep coming in and you have another surgery coming up in 1 week and it will be another 5 before they will even consider your going back to work and OMG X-mas is coming and just about the time your sure your going to cry again you fall asleep, just for the damn cat to rub against your head in about an hour.

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW you stay broke.

Barbe - I see things in them sometimes before and sometimes after creation, but I try not to make anyone else see the same thing necessarily - I number them so each viewer sees them with their own experiences influencing them instead of my titles.  Silly, maybe.  I like to know what others see.

• lwarstler
    edited September 2011

Dawn: So sorry for the stress, but I so feel you! I've just accepted that between the cat, discomfort and worry, I won't have a decent nights sleep again until about a year after chemo! 

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011

All your co-workers assume you will be doing every breast cancer run, fundraiser, walk, whatever that occurs. 

• barbe1958
    edited September 2011

Re: the cancer crap in October. I just politely decline saying I've given more than I ever expected and just smile. I have not given to the cause since diagnosis!!

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW - someone at work sends you a breast cancer awareness email.  Really?  I am pretty aware of breast cancer right now!!!!  Man, October is going to suck!

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited September 2011

When 6 years later, you still visit the breast cancer sites ......

• Birds
    Birds Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2011

Well said Shelley2011!  lmao.