Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

chiluvr, yes, feet and legs seemed the only thing that weren't problematic.  Well, that and my bald head, but who wants to massage that!

• bcisnofun
    edited September 2011

ykyacpw - you come in from the gym carrying your gym bag in one hand and your "work hair" in the other

ykyacpw - you are so afraid to eat sugar, you use your chocolate calcium supplement as dessert.

• peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    bcisnofun, you're cracking me up with all your posts (esp. the 'work hair' and being so afraid of dessert. I hear ya sister. I'm trying to pretend that fruit is dessert. Maybe even that is too much sugar?) FWIW, I recently went to someone who practices oncology massage. Not sure if there's anyone by you (and of course, they can't give you back your body parts) but maybe they have extra tricks? (mine did a lot of acupressure and reflexology, and I was lying on my back most of the time). There's a thread in the Complementary forum. 
  • bcisnofun
    edited September 2011

Hi peggyj - I guess I'm seeing the humor in our situation today.  Nice break from fear! :)  Remember when fat was the alleged culprit of all cancers?  I miss those days of being able to eat endless amounts of angel food cake because it was fat free!  I hope we figure out it's not sugar and I can go on a cheesecake binge!  Thanks for the tip on oncology massage.  I think I need to try that vs. scaring the poor 20something to death!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2011

bcisnofun, don't you know that cheesecake is made from cheese, which is a milk product and therefore high in calcium and good for you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Leah

• peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    bcisnofun, this is the website that someone posted, Society for Oncology Massage (s4om.org).  My Onc CMT sounded more like a member of my medical team than most of the CMTs I've seen. I screened her on the phone for about 20 mins before booking my appt; so I didn't have that moment of saying, "Oh, I have BC" and seeing someone's face drop and say "OH, I'm so SORRY!" Arg! She did a free half hour intake before my 1 hr massage. She was super supportive and empathetic. At one point, it felt like a free mini-counseling session. Yes, it's all about me! ;)
  • bcisnofun
    edited September 2011

leah - I love you!  I'll think of you when I go get cheesecake tomorrow

peggy - I'll check out that website.  Thanks!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2011

Bsisnofun-----------chocolate chessecake?///////====

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2011

Hi  Ykyacpw. When it is ok to enjoy  life and not worry about everything so much. How about chocolate cheescake for breakfast? Sounds good to me. SharonH

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2011
    I heard it was broccoli that caused cancer. Wink
  • SharonMH
    edited September 2011

Hi  chiluvrt1228  Maybe we should put chocolate sauce on it. SharonH

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

...when people see your head without your hat and say "You've got hair" exactly like aol does when you've got mail.

...when you know have so many pill bottles that they fall our of the cabinet everytime you open the door.

...when you go to take your makeup off and see more eyelashes than you do makeup.

...when you look in the mirror and realize that you stangely look like a naked barbie doll that some little girl tried to be a hairdresser on-you know the naked one with short hair you found at the bottom of your toy box.

...when you've become the new Britney Spears, boobs hanging out and you don't even know it cause you still can't feel a darn thing in your chest. More freaky cause you don't have nipples yet.

...when on your todo list before surgery you list bikini was and pedicure. Hell you may not have boobs or hair, but you do have pride.

• SharonMH
    edited September 2011

Hi,   Ykyacpw    My favorite two words are    Unmarkable results.  SharoH

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

Sharron, Raspberry is also very nice on chocolate cheescake HMMMMMMMM.

• mizmarie
    mizmarie Member Posts: 137
    edited September 2011

Crying whenever you receive a card in the mail or someone brings your family a meal, not only because you are touched by their thoughtfulness, but also because you are once again reminded that you have become one of those people to whom others send cards and meals.....

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011

MizMarie-------I so recognize your feeling, but please think of the opposite. Those people that have no one bring them food, they get no cards, they have no one to call for help of any kind. As a former home-care nurse, it used to break my heart to make visits to these people. We would get social services involved to help problem solve food /cleaning/transportation issue, but it didn't take the place of the fact that these people had no one that cared about them. How lonely is that? You are rich in people that care about you:) But I know it makes you sad that you crossed over the line , sorry

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited September 2011

When each and every morning, you put on your LE compression sleeve, and by the end of the day at least 10 people say to you "what happened to your arm", and you want to punch their lights out, for reminding you that you had the "girft that keeps on giving"...........cancer

• pinker
    pinker Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011

these are awesome!!!

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2011

Survivor - you had me laughing out loud!

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2011

Wow we have had over 100.816 views...I guess laughter really is the best medicine. 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW you make vacation plans with BCO sisters whose real names you don't know.

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2011

YKYACPW you look at the calendar and compare infusion dates to know what to expect when making plans....

What, day 3? Sore and constipated, not a lot of walking or thinking required? Count me in!

Hmmm, 6 days out, that puts me into metal mouth and diarrhea, not good.

Hmmm, day 12, possible mouth sores and lab day, possibly?!

YKYACPW you laugh at commercials for procrit and neulasta saying "mild to moderate bone pain" were side effects noted in clinical trials. Mild to moderate? Really?!

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011
    Mebmarj-------I described neulasta pain as wolves gnawing at my bones, and that my pain scale was a100 out of 10. Trying to get the message across that I was not handling it well. Later found out from a nurse friend that some of the staff were making very derogatory remarks about my reaction. I'e. drama and that it couldn't be that bad and on and on.
  • Kimberly1961
    Kimberly1961 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2011

When 99% of your day's aggravations, you say "Is this important?"  Not so much.....and this means everything from floods to bill collectors to pain and aggravation from treatment, all the sundries.  My chest looks funny.  My hair is all gone.  The uterus and ovaries are gone.  Who am I?  I don't know.  Why was I here?  I don't know.  Where the hell was the cross street, did I pass it.....am I going to be late?  I don't know.  Will I lose my job, my insurance?  When I know it is not so 10/10 important, none of it.  It's not even 2/10 important.  Then I know I am a cancer patient.  All of my priorities and deadlines have changed. 

As my nephew said " Don't buy any green bananas." 

He got that one right.

• Kimberly1961
    Kimberly1961 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2011

You know you have cancer when you stop stocking up for the millenium, peak oil shortage, depending on your diagnosis, anything from 3 months to 5 years expiration date.

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2011

SAS-

I hear you. Took neupogen first 7 years ago then the neulasta every round after that. They went immediately to neulasta (day after) when I started chemo again in June, til it didn't quite do the job at the end of august and I was admitted to the resort for neutropenia. Just finished 6/6 of the neupogen yesterday.

The nurse asked in the shot room how I'm doing, sore from hips up back to shoulders, knees/femurs too. Have you been alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen? The drug reps says it helps? Really, have the drug reps actually tried neupogen? No? Doesn't help that much!

So glad to be done with chemo and that crap. Now if I can find NED, I'll shake my booty and YMCA til the cows come home....

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited September 2011

OK, Maine is really backwater when it comes to cancer treatment, but almost no one gets neupogen or neulasta without also getting a fentanyl patch or morphine prescription for the bone pain it causes.  Do more up-to-date places not do that? 

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

NativeMaine-nope, not in KY. I love the mild to moderate bone pain, if they say that when they really mean" your going to think your dying, correction, your going to want to die just to escape the pain for a little while.

...when your fuel pump goes out on the interstate and a cops stops to help you then after seeing your bald head says he will take care of the tow truck and arrangements for repairs, just you go home and don't worry with it (happened to me yesterday).

...when you can shower like a man, no shampoo required no shaving. No wonder those suckers are always waiting on us to get ready.

...when decorating the yard for Halloween your half tempted to strip off your shirt and scarf, throw some fake blood on you and lay there like a nightmare on elm street victim.

...when you tell the nice lady at Walmart collecting for breast cancer that your sorry but you've given all you care to this year.

...when your costume choices this year are GI Jane, a Q-tip or Sinead O"conner.

...when WTF and WTH become commonplace in your vocabulary.

..when you've become accustomed to hearing "well, I've never seen that before" come out of the mouths of your PS, MO or BS.

...when you realize that some body fluid leakiing, oozing, for flooding out of your body doesn't seem to bother you like it shoudl, hell just slap a gauze on it, it will be fine.

...when you change your answering machine message to  "Sorry I'm not at home right now, well actually I am because I have no life anymore, but I'm probably pukiing in the bathroom, sleeping in the bed, or just ignoring your call cause I'm tired of talking about cancer. Please leave a message, but I probably won't return it, have a good day."

...when you get tired of hearing how "cute" you look with your hair growing back. Thanks but I stopped wanting to look cute when I was tweleve,I'm looking for sexy now at 40.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2011

bcisnofun,

You crack me up, that is so true :O)  I leave my part time afternoon job at the bank, throw my wig in the gym bag and throw on the hat, and yes the chocolate calcium seems like a truffle LOL

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2011

survivir11, I am so laughing out loud at your list. I have thought alot of those similar things, and thanks for the heads up on ideas I can be for halloween .