Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010
    Options

Isn't fall wonderful?!  I feel like I should be back to "normal" too, and it comes and goes... but you had an ooph, and I'm on Herceptin and Tamox, so who knows what's "normal" anymore?  We're not getting any younger- hard as it is to believe :P

I had a fantastic weekend, October is my favorite month here in Vegas!!

• rebetata
    rebetata Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options

I agree October is great. We took our kids to ride the quads over the weekend, It was nice to feel young even if only for a while since when we got home I felt like an old woman again.lol

I am now in my week before surgery mode once again. I would think I would not get nervous anymore but it still gets to me.

• zlota
    zlota Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello,

I had my mx on the laft side 2 weeks ago, still sore especially around the sternum area but able to do mostly all i have to do to keep up with 5 and 7 yr old kids. I will be starting chemo on Nov 2nd ( my 31st b-day) and im scared to death. My cancer was 0.6 cm with no nodes involved stage 1 grade 2 . I'm thinking chemo but whats the point if that beast is going to come back, I'm Her+ and er/pr-. According to my onc I will be getting TCH 6 rounds, gosh this is scary, reading about the side effects just gives horrible anxiety. Any tips on how to handle this whole thing? Anyone that did TCH?

Thank you 

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited October 2010
    Options

Ziota- im on TCH- the 1st one was a nightmare- u have no clue what to expect and how to deal with SE. But the 2nd one seems a breeze- minor compared to the others ones. I had a mx and will be finishing chemo end of Nov then rads, then later on recon, and may wish this beast dares enters my body again!!!!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

rebetata, every surgery is as frightening as the first if you ask me!  You never get used to them.  Good luck, I know everything will be great!  Sending lots of love and encouragement. 

zlota, Great news on your pathology!!  Yay!!  Doing a happy dance for you :)  I did TCH and although I was scared to death the thought of the chemo was soooo much worse than the actual chemo.  Your onc and nurses will have advice and meds for almost any s/e you can come up with.  Your sisters here will be an infinite source of strength and wisdom.  Come here often, we'll help you thru!  PM  me if you have more questions!   Take your premeds and drink tons of water.  I had barely any nausea and never vomitted. 

I had a pretty solid appetite although I did lose my sense of taste.  Never had any trouble with my nails, as some people mention.  Got pretty weak after tx 4, but still managed to run the house with 4 teenage boys!  Honestly I didn't make many lifestyle changes- slowed down a bit and DH had to help a bit more with groceries, etc.  There were days when I needed to pretty much rest and stay in bed.  You'll be fine, just let your body dictate what it needs!  (some days I just needed a hamburger :)

For all the Her2+ ladies, check out the posting from JeninMichigan, it's fantastic- and she's a stage IV!!  You can search it under  "My great week and some Her2+ encouragement"

Zlota, redinrah... hang in there!!!  You can do this!!!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited October 2010
    Options

i second everything LM just said :)

• PGK
    PGK Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2010
    Options

Zlota,

I had my BMX in September and I just had my first TCH chemo about 10 days ago.  The first week was filled with a lots of ups and downs for me as I discovered the different SEs, but I haven't been afraid to call my oncology nurse/doctor and ask for help and they are helpful!  I haven't thrown up once (knock on wood) and I've just been prescribed the "miracle mouthwash" for my mouth/throat pain.  I hope it really does work. 

This website has been a wonderful resource for me and I just started using it.  We're not too far off from each other in terms of treatment schedule.  The whole thing scares me, too, but I'm hopeful.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to exchange stories or tips.

Cheers,

Lisa

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

Lisa, miracle mouthwash lives up to it's name!!  I had the sore throat after each treatment, and the shelf life for the MM is only 10 days to two weeks (can't remember now..?) so make sure you refill and have it ready, just in case.

So much hope and great news around here!  Everyone hang in there and keep in touch.  We are so much stronger together.  I couldn't have made it without the ones who came before me.  Now I hope I can help those of you getting started :)

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010
    Options

I agree the miracle mouthwash is a must have! Don't wait until you have a sore mouth have it on standy by.

Lady_Madonna - I have had two short business trips to Las Vegas and I loved it! So much going on and everyone that I spoke to that was a local was very very nice.  That part of the country is very pretty so different for me.  I bet there is alot more to Vegas than just the strip!

• PGK
    PGK Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ladies!  Got the mouthwash ... Wow.  That's some potent stuff!  Thank you for sharing your experiences with it!  Now I may get to eat dinner :)
  • mommichelle
    mommichelle Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2010
    Options

zlota,

Just had treatment #4 of TCH yesterday.  My tumor was 4mm, no nodes, and Her2+.  The anxiety of the first treatment was the worst part.  Now I almost look forward to treatments to cross them off my to do list.  Side effects for me have been minimal.  The worst is the loss of my regular taste, I tend to get fatigued on Sunday (need a good afternoon nap) and Monday I am back to work although at a slightly slower pace.  My treatments are on Thursday, but by Tuesday, I am feeling almost back to normal with the taste exception that lasts almost a week or a little longer for me.  A little nausea after my first treatment but I haven't had to do too much in terms of anti-nausea meds.  No vomiting.  My husband now is used to the "schedule" and plans on knowing a crash will come on Sunday so he is mentally prepared to really jump in with our three and five year old kiddos. It is doable.  You will be fine.  If you want to PM me, feel free.  We are here for you.  :)

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

mommichelle, my experience was almost identical...down to looking forward to treatments!  I got some funny looks when I told people that but it's great to know you're kickin' cancer ass!! 

So glad you're doing well.  Hope this experience is the same for all the new ladies!  :) 

• leelee32
    leelee32 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Options

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure which implant I will use but I'm leaning towards the saline  because I don't want to have to go through breast MRIs every 2 years.  Thank goodness I don't need any treatment because of my wonderful Dr.'s at Memorial Sloan Kettering who kept on top of me to go for the MRI every year. I have to get one more expansion which is not fun and then I get my implants Dec.8th CAN'T WAIT! I went to a local walk for breast cancer and it was nice to see so many survivors there but it was also sad to see so many women  who have gone through this. I feel like I have been fighting Hodgkins Disease for 20+ years..... please God no more side effects from the chemo and radation. I guess what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello All..

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    edited October 2010
    Options

HI everyone,

I am so sorry to hear about your stories, I have also been diagnosed with breast cancer, i am 31 no kids, I think the most fustrating part is the whole waiting, apprerantly I've had it for the past 3 yrs. I've been getting Fibroids since i was 20, and out of nowhere, I can feel a lymph nodes swallon under my arm, and it turns out to be breast cancer, I've been with swollen lymph nodes since July (at least thats when i noticed it) is now october and all i have done is MRI, biopsy and mammograms thats it...I am so worried that it will spread to other places, the biopsy showed grade 3 infiltrating ductal carninoma, i have yet to meet with oncologist, finally got the appointment for this tuesday coming up, the only person i have met is with surgeon, who told me he is sure that the oncologist will agree to masectocmy first...i have decided on double masectomy i dont want to go through this again. if surgery is ago it will be in 3-4 weeks, doctors tell me cancer dosent grow fast, but then they tell me that cancer in younger women grows faster, and i have also been reading that once in lymph nodes can spread to other places, I am very scared about the whole thing, am losing weight cause im so stressed at least i hope that the reason, i am a very small person 5ft but went from 95 to 87 in like a month..also my thyroid is high so that may be it as well..I feel anxious about chemo i hear horror stories and good stories as well...so fustrating not knowing.....i just want to put this behind me and start all the treatments. I wish doctors could move faster....

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Coni, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  This is the most difficult time; thank goodness you found breastcancer.org (bco) right away because it will be your lifeline!  Every one of us has been in your shoes and we are here for you.  Waiting really is the worse!!  It's totally normal to be terrified right now but it's true that a few weeks won't change your prognosis.  In fact, make sure that you take enough time to feel really, really comfortable with the decisions you're about to  make.  Even though you feel like you want to have the bmx (bilateral mastectomy) remember that it's a permanent decision and make sure you're sure!  Get a second or third opinion, talk to surgeons and oncologists (don't just take the surgeon's word for it!)  Lumpectomy with radiation can be just as effective as mastectomy, if your cancer allows for it.  Reconstruction is not a simple process, read up on it so you know what to expect.  Know your options!  Yes, surgery is the primary treatment but every single case is different so don't make any decisions until you have all of your information.  Are you er/pr positive or negative?  What about Her2 status?  Once this train starts rolling there's no turning back- you'll be on your way very soon.  In the meantime, we're here for you!  Sending you big ((((hugs.))))  :)

P.S. When you're a new poster you're limited to only 5 posts per day until you reach 50 posts, then it's unlimited.  You can send as many private messages as you'd like (upper middle tabs) and read all you want.  Try not to drive yourself crazy on "Dr. Google!!"

~Melanie

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hey sohard, how have you been?  Everything okay?

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello ladies!  I hope everyone is having an amazing weekend.  I have had a busy week. I had the opportunity to be a guest speaker at a survivors dinner on Thursday. My talk was centered on the challenges of be a young women with breast cancer. I was able to meet some great ladies and it was a nice evening of fellowship.  Today I walked in the American Cancer Society/ Making Strides against breast cancer walk.  I walked 3 miles and although my legs felt like butter I really enjoyed myself. We had a great turn out. The weather is beautiful here in Kentucky this time of year and my Husband and I enjoyed it very much. 

Coni -I am also sorry about you diagnosis but I agree with Lady Madonna you will find so many wonderful ladies here at bco. 

mommichelle - good to hear your husband is being supportive. My Husband really stepped up to the plate while I was in treatment so many ladies don't have the support they need.  

sohardbnme - hello to you :)

• Ondagrow
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Lady Mad...

I am ok..

I just turned 38 last month all. No kids single... This cancer diagnosis is draining an overwhelming... However I am persevering...

I had a procedure for uterine fibroids this month two days after chemo...

Below is an out line of my treatment history...I need support from you all and I am offering mine as well...

May 24 - Went to a GYN appointment for uterine fibroids and doctor found lump.

June 2 - Breast ultrasound and Mammogram, discovered two clusters of micro-calcifications in left breast

June 9 - Met with Breast surgeon, she gave referral for biopsy

June 16 - Stereotypic Biopsy            

June 21 - Diagnosis: 06/21/2010, DCIS, Grade 3 & IDC, Stage II, Grade 2, PR+ HER2+ER+

June 30 - Lumpectomy, 2 cancerous lymph nodes removed

July 7 - Pathology report stated 11/13 positive lymph nodes; in addition, my margins are not clear.

July 14 - Met with medical Oncologist, he wants me to start chemotherapy before another lumpectomy or mastectomy surgery to clear margins.  He gave me a BCRA test. 

July 20 - PET scan

July 22 - PET scan results... 2 additional lymph nodes detected (possibly)... did not spread past lymph nodes and BCRA test results...

July 24 - Muga test

July 26 - Port inserted                                                                                           

August 2 - Chemotherapy (hemoglobin 11)                                                                            

August 4 - Zolodex shot      

August 23- Chemotherapy, iron was given with chemo (hemoglobin 7.1)

September 3 - Zolodex shot (hemoglobin 8.6)

September 9 - Pelvic MRI

September 14 - Chemotherapy (hemoglobin 11.1)                                                                                 

September 16 - Flu shot, DNC Laparoscopy, to check for endometriosis (Negative)

October 5 - Chemotherapy and Zolodex shot

October 7 - FINALLY...uterine fibroid embolization...  I went to the doctors about this issue when they found cancer...

October 26 - Chemotherapy

November 16 - Last Chemo

December 13- Bilateral Mastectomy/ Delayed Reconstruction

Radiation date to be determined...  (Approx three weeks after aforementioned procedure)

Love this quote...

We are built to conquer environment, solve problems, achieve goals, and we find no real satisfaction or happiness in life without obstacles to conquer and goals to achieve.

• rebetata
    rebetata Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2010
    Options

sohardbnme I am so sorry you are in this group but you are so in the right place. I am 32 I had my Hysterectomy 2 years ago and my bi-lat mastectomy last year. I am here for you if you have specific questions for me. I read daily do not post every day but will always answer PM's. I am having surgery on Wednesday but otherwise I hope you get the support you need here.

Coni ditto what I said above I am always available I hope you find a safe haven here with all these wonderful women.

Rebecca

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello everyone, I just had BMX on Oct 18th and will have post-op on Oct 26th. Think the surgeon will refer me to the onc when I see him. I still haven't got my hormone receptor results back yet (the clinic used wrong specimen at first time). I am wondering how the onc decided to have rads or not after MX. I heard it depends on size of tumor, but I have seen some ladies with very small tumor had rad aftre mx, could someone offer some opinion?

Coni -- I am sorry you have waited so long. Are you in Ontario? Thought surgery would be arranged quickly after biopsy. Hope things move faster for you. hang in there. 

• momtomygirls
    momtomygirls Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2010
    Options

Meglove,

I think it also depends on the location of the tumour (i.e. close to the chest wall), size of clean margin and the number of lymph nodes involved.  I had 2 nodes involved but was told that I would not need rads after my mastectomy.  My onc said that rads are not needed for 1-3 node involvement. (in my case anyway)

• meme31
    meme31 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Options

i'm not diagnosed with anything but i'm 31 and found a lump and had a mamo-they said it was benign-but i think i will ask for a ulrasound-i was just wondering if you ladies could tell about how you bacame diagnosed-did you have to ask for additional tests?

• Ondagrow
    edited October 2010
    Options

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I have learned, the hard way, that some poems do not rhyme, and some stories do not have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what is going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity." ~ Gilda Radner

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2010
    Options

mem31

I was diagnosed in Feb of this year when I was 34

I found a pea size lump in my left breast, and was concerened immediatley since I know my boobies pretty well..lol and it wasn't there before went to my Doc and was advised that I am probably just mid cycle and to wait for my period...so I did, went back and after getting my period because it was now marble sized and was starting to hurt (all that bullshit about pain being good is just NOT true) anyhow I was ONCE again told it's probably nothing and basically had to BEG for an Ultrasound since they don't do routine mammos on women under 40.

Had an ultra sound and was called RIGHT away and told that it was possibly 98% malignant.

Was sent for a mammo right away and then biopsy of the tumour (which was much larger, 7 cm) and the lymph nodes, found out a week later that it was indeed cancer, spread to the nodes, had a left side mastectomy 2 weeks later....it's been quite the journey and these women on here are my SANITY!!! lol

I'm so happy for you that your U/S was benign, can't hurt to keep an eye on it.

Mo :)

• meme31
    meme31 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Options

My goodness-all these stories and women are amazing-what strong people! Thanx for the info Ladym13, but i just asked for an ultrasound and am waiting for the appt., it was after a mammo that the doc said it was benign but i thought they couldn't be sure without further tests so i asked for more-is that correct that they can't tell if it is or not on mammo?

• coni
    edited October 2010
    Options

yes I am in Ontario, well tomorrow i see the oncologist for the first time :) so he will tell me if surgery first or chemo, already spoke to surgeon if he gets the "go ahead" with surgery i will wait 3-4 weeks which i just hope is not a long time waiting, I did get my ct scan everything looks good and also my blood work, still waiting to do bone scan wed! my lump is 2.6cm and also have atleast 2-3 lymph nodes that i can feel under my arm which one turn out positive for cancer :( ....they have not done any hormones receptor test, or generic testing...i feel is just moving too slow! I am guessing I am a stage 2 but hopefully i will find out tomorrow....I am hearing so many horror stories about chemo that Im so scared, specially losing my hair and the needles (soo scared of needles). I am already looking into getting a wig :( heard good things about continental hair in TO does anyone know it?

I am very happy to have found this site, thyes i agree with you Melanie Dr google is very scary, thank you all  for your words of support and encouragement i really need them, my family support is great, however there is no way they know how i feel, I have though about the surgery, there is just such a extended family histroy of breast cancer that i think is for the best, it has been a hard decision to make but I dont want to go through all this again, i know my surgery will be long and painful but i think its for the best. believe me I have been crying everyday just the though of losing my hair and my breast, this disease SUCKS we need to find a cure so no one else has to go through it!

• momtomygirls
    momtomygirls Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Coni,

I live in Ontario too!  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can.  I just finished my 3rd treatment and I have already had surgery.

Cheryl

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    Options

Coni, Just wanted to wish you good luck with the oncologist today!  Hopefully you will really like him and he will give you lots of reassurance.  :)

• coni
    edited October 2010
    Options

kk i just came back, dr was great, i will take part in a study, i hope is a good thing, my cancer its her2 negative,  hormonal sensitive, so looks like i will be starting chemo first, probably in the next two weeks, 8 rounds of chemo follow by surgery and then radiation..and meds after...i cant remember if the ovaries have to go....really scared of just the side effects, i am a big chicken...they will put a portal (i think thats what he called it so they dont have to poke me all the time) , so yeah, here my new journey starts sat ill be driving to T.O. to get a wig, yay! I still cant believe it, feesl like a bad dream that i cant wake up from....but i know a lot of ppl have beat cancer i can too...is very hard to keep a positive mind, specially when all you hear are negative things, lossing your hair, chemo side effects etc etc...I think inside I am mad, mad becuase we are constintly hearing ppl our age dont get cancer and they dont do mammograms at our ages so really it depend on us to check and know our bodies...i do try looking at the positive sides, has gotten me closer to God, my husband, family, I have seen how much ppl care about me, i will get my hair back ( hopefully thicker), i will have breast again hopefully bigger lol.

Momtomygirl - Thanks I am in Ottawa, our system would be good if it was faster...i mean ive had my lymph node swollen since july at least thats when i first notice it...I am really praying it has not spread, ct scan looked good, but dr could not asure me 100% that it had not spread, he said most like some cells have, but my blood work is good so got to stay positive...even the doctors get fustrated with the system...but what can we do!