Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Great saying about depression

Options
1170171172173174176»

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2013
    Options

hehehehehe, sleeping with a pillow between your legs is good for you!!! I learned that when pregnant 33 years ago. It helps keep your hip muscle aligned and not stretched out all night. So that's good. Just put a big pillow behind you so you can't roll over. That contraption looks more like a chastity belt!!! I used to have to sleep with wrists splints but not now that I sleep on my back (I don't curl my wrists that way). I do use ear plugs, though and will forever!!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited December 2013
    Options

ha, ha, I just take out my hearing aids. Yep, I am using a pillow. Someone else suggested a tennis ball fixed to a belt. I really don't think I sleep much on my back. I always wake up on my side. Anyway, I am trying losing weight. I just wanta feel better.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2013
    Options

I used to use hearing aids too, but hated hearing so much!! I LOVE having no sound at all with the ear plugs. I don't use the hearing aids anymore but really should. They were the kind that were programmable so I could set for a crowd, or a car, or TV or whatever. I just hated hearing things I'd never heard before. Sounds dumb, but I'd been so long with bad hearing I actually enjoy it now. I read lips and didn't realize how well until I was watching The Polar Express with my grandson on Saturday. It was a "cartoon" that was life-like and I was able to read the lips of the characters!! Scary!!! Don't know if I'm that good of a lip-reader or the artists are that good in drawing the characters....

• macatacmv
    edited December 2013
    Options

I thought it was terribly unfair when the audiologist was testing my hearing she put a piece of paper up to her face so I couldn't read her lips. I had really gotten good at it over the years, too. My DD didn't believe me until she tested me on it. Blew her away. lol Mine aren't the programmable kind, those will be in my future no doubt. The Polar Express is good isn't it? I used to read the book to my kids when they were young.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2013
    Options

I often have my clients say they liked working with me because I "REALLY listened!!" heheheheheheheh

• macatacmv
    edited December 2013
    Options

lol, I know for us it takes more concentration to "listen" hence the ultimate attention. Of course, then for me is the bad memory, where I promply forget what we talked about,

• barbe1958
    edited December 2013
    Options

...take notes....if it REALLY matters....hehehehehheehe

• Maddie57
    Maddie57 Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Barbe and Mac- just wanted to wish you a magical Christmas and New year, and may all your dreams come true!

Barbe - I am soooo proud of you- knew you could do it. Seems your old brain is still ticking over, and your people skills are coming into play!!! How is your back doing with the long hours?

Mac - Yahoo about your yearly check up! Fabulous news. Mac that belt they want you to buy looks awful!!! If you got any sleep wearing that I would be surprised. Looks like some torture device. The pillow sounds like a better option. I like putting a pillow there, as it allows you to change position from sleeping on the side to half sleeping on your side. It takes the pressure off your neck, and allows another position when you need to shift about a bit. I also sleep with a pillow under my knees, it takes the pressure off your lower back. Mac -I always imagined you as a tiny little thing - must be something to do with shoes and elves! Do you really need to lose weight, or are they being finicky? My son has an app on his phone, and it records all his calories etc. He has done amazingly well with it, and is his old slim self again.

I am sorry I haven't been on the thread for a while, but life has been hectic!! My Mom has been really poorly, and I have been popping around there to shower her etc. but have been thinking of you both.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2013
    Options

Maddie!! So GREAT to hear from you!! So sorry about your Mom, I'll add her to my prayers. I, too, sleep with a pillow beneath my knees and do for scans as well. They are quite used these days offering the "wedge" to people in scans to relieve their lower back.

My back is holding out with Staytex during the day (so far) and I can walk, stand or sit as I need. The only thing better would be if I could lie down during the day to ease everything up. I'm exhausted and slept 11 1/2 hours last night!! I do enjoy the social intercourse, though, as I wasn't getting out at all for the 2 1/2 years I was off work. So it's all good so far.

I hope your life has some "good hectic" in it....?

• macatacmv
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey Maddie, good to see you back here. Sorry about your hecticness. Enjoy your time with your Mom, even as it is draining for you.

I am very short and getting shorter so "they" think I should weigh 30 lbs less than I do, which would bring me down to around 115. I have lost about 20lbs in the last year and 1 point off my BMI. (after being on those steroids for a year) This is just a quick way of getting it off and then the trick will be to keep it off.

I am just using a pillow so far to keep me on my side. We are also adjusting one of my meds from time released to plain and taken at night. We'll see.

barbe, I got my building permit. yahoo. Now I have painter's here to my house to paint the inside. Color choices are so hard. I wanted a Venetian stucco for my bedroom, but there are no paints with that name. They have names like "American Cheese". (I'm not kidding) So we are trying different samples. It is fun. The dog is freaked out, tho. Too much change. The workmen were so sweet they brought in my Christmas tree and set it up for me. It had been lying in the yard since Sat. So I will post pics soon. They are taking all the pics and things off the walls, so I will be able to rethink those options too.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2013
    Options

mac, how did you lose weight?? I sat around for 2 1/2 years but expected to lose some now that I'm moving around. No such luck...sigh.

• macatacmv
    edited December 2013
    Options

barbe, when I was on arimidex I felt so crummy, I barely ate. I certainly was not exercising. I think I had put on extra weight while on the steroids and then lost it when I finally got off. So now I am basically "down" to my normal weight. But I am doing a strict low calorie diet supervised by my doc. I can eat lots of green veggies, but have to stick to the shakes and puddings and soups (provided by the program) otherwise. I am losing about 3 lbs a week. Slow and steady. 

Ahhh, the smell of fresh paint. I love the colors that we picked out. I'll post pics soon. I think I might be able to get back in my bedroom tonight. It's exciting.

The local BC support group is having a cookie swap tonight. ha ha, no baking for me, but maybe a nibble or two.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited May 2014
    Options

Just wanted to let you all know on this thread that Cmbear - Claire lost her battle with Cancer on May 21st. She was diagnosed with mets to her bone and spine and November and it was a very hard fight. I'm just heartbroken and will miss her terribly - wasn't sure where all to post but I met her here and wanted to post her new Angel status and I so treasured her amazing friendship and love. 

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    edited May 2014
    Options

We had the same thought, Margaret.  I immediately came here where we all "met".  My heart is breaking to hear about our dear friend.  We found each other on this thread as we were all coming to grips with the emotional aftermath of cancer.  We all thought of ourselves as "done" with treatment and were now trying to navigate life after cancer.  Who would have ever guessed that some of our group weren't finished, yet, with this journey.  Claire will be missed by so many whose lives she touched.  

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014
    Options

Oh dear! Yet another angel......so very, very sad.....

I must admit it`s nice to see you two again. Kate you look wonderful!!! And Stanzie, you look fluffy!!

Now, call me an idiot, but how do you die of bone mets? It must have progressed somewhere else.......

• hopefulhealing
    hopefulhealing Member Posts: 581
    edited May 2014
    Options

I am sorry to hear about Claire.  This is one of the mysteries about BC.  If you are not Stage 4 when you are diagnosed, how it can lie dormant for years then raise it's ugly head.  Then once again you are thrown into the challenges, fears, treatments, sadness and acceptance that goes along with a BC diagnosis.  The teachable moments when people think oh you are done.  Barb not sure, but red blood cells are produced in the bone marrow and that could be the physiology of dying from bone mets.  As we continue are walk it has hit me very strongly the last few days the things I learned while in the thick of my breast cancer story when all went wrong are easy to let slide.  Good, valuable and needed lessons.  How important it is to hold on to those.  The time of refinement in my spirit, thoughts and actions.  Kate you indicated how strong and brave she was.  She held on to those first lessons.  I hope we all do. Have a great holiday weekend.  I will keep Claire and all of us facing BC no matter what stage we are in on this path in my thoughts.  Take gentle care. 

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    edited May 2014
    Options

Claire had multiple lesions in her spine which then progressed to brain mets. (Through the spinal fluid I'm assuming).  It was quite shocking how fast it progressed. I'm sad we didn't have more time with her but relieved she is free from the horrible pain she'd been having. 

She had been in the hospital a week before but they released her to go home with hospice care. She was with her wonderful husband, sons and sister and they held her hands as she passed. I'm so glad she's at peace but will miss her so much. 

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for posting responses ladies, and for all the information specific to Claire, Kate. So very, very sad

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited May 2014
    Options

Barb, thank you for noticing the fluff! 

She drove up to see me after my revision surgery in November after being diagnosed with mets. I'm so lucky to have been able to have met her in person. She seemed totally strong and healthy and so full of life. It is so scary it can all happen so quickly. The money needs to be more focused on stopping mets rather than just about awareness. I think we all have been concerned about how many times it seems the doctors missed or didn't act in Claire's case, even though she was at MD Anderson. Just a reminder no matter  how much you may trust what your care is, then have another person with you who can help keep an objective eye and monitor your care.... She left us way too soon. She had just celebrated her 25th anniversary and her youngest was about to graduate high school.... just can't believe she is gone...

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014
    Options

I have to bring my DH with me when I see a doc about my back so HE can tell them how bad I am. Otherwise they just think I'm a whining female and I HATE that!!! But come on! With a diagnosis already of cancer, the doctors just have to be more aggressive....it reminds me of another member who died of mets when the doctors ignored her shoulder pain...sigh.

• Maddie57
    Maddie57 Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies - I was sooo very sorry to hear about cmbear. I did not know her well, but she sent me the most adorable dancing figure when I finished chemo. It cheered me up so much. I have tried to run it again, but it seems to be locked. Hope you are all doing well.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes, you have to be your best advocate.  After my bi-lateral mastectomy my stomache was unusually bloated.  I felt as if I had some kind of blockage lower left and thought..do I have lympahdema in my stomache?  I went to my BS, PS, Internist and of course my Oncologist all who dismissed it because I had NO PAIN.  I told my Oncologist, c'mon you and I both know by the time it hits pain level it's way far gone.  I begged for a scan of any sort and none of them would do it!  Finally I went to a NEW OB/GYN and asked her.  She said you mean to tell me you have history of cancer and not one of your doctors would do a scan....yep that's it Doc.  Will you please?  Well she did and I had Kidney Cancer, Renal Cell Carcinoma that was worse than my stage 1 invasive breast cancer.  We caught it just in time that it had not spread outside the wall and was 5cm.  I had surgery and I  am doing great!  Advocate Advocate, you know your body better than anyone!!

• macatacmv
    edited September 2014
    Options

so glad you caught it early enough, bogie! I hate it when docs don't listen. I have worked hard on getting the right for me docs involved with my care. None of those that dismiss my concerns.