Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Australian Sisters

Options

Comments

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited March 2019
    Options

great news Trish !!! Awesome photos chrissy

• Operahouse
    Operahouse Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone is well.

I have heard a lot about intravenous vitamin c for cancer treatment. My brother in law has been given IV vc in Japan for quite a while and he is doing great. Is it available in Australia? I haven't found any. Thanks.

• mandymoo
    mandymoo Member Posts: 632
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi Operahouse,

I asked my oncologist about intravenous vitamin C a few years ago, as I am stage 4 and he said NO. My veins are too bad from chemo and they would not be able to handle it.

I have also read somewhere not to take Vitamin C when on chemo as it counteracts the chemo.

I hope this hasn't confused you. Good luck.

Mandy xxx

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661
    edited March 2019
    Options

Operahouse, I hadn't heard that. I'll be seeing my onc next month, so will ask about it.

Well girls, I've done it! I officially retired yesterday. I'm not getting over the concussions properly, and haven't been able to work a full day since. So - I decided that I now want to spend my time doing the things that bring me joy. It'll be tough financially, we have no super and I'm not old enough to go on the pension, but will have to go on Newstart. Bob will go back on the pension. We'll manage one way or another.

Trish

xoxo

• SuefromSydney
    SuefromSydney Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Congratulations Trisha, that’s a big decision, but you’re kicking off with Canberra in the autumn, which has to give you a head start:-) Hope the extra space helps you heal more.
    We might be following your example later this year- at least, that’s what Greg says..... He might even do it, but I’m not sure if I will.
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2019
    Options

Trish, I know you would have thought long and hard about your decision so good on you for taking the leap. The rest will do you good no boubt and give your body some much needed time for it to heal properly. Hopefully there won't be too much 'managing ' necessary.

We are still on our travels, in Wales right now. I'm enjoying it but as I'm doing all the driving I have to admit to being super tired when night comes. Well, the man is here and we are off again.

Take care all.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Operahouse
    Operahouse Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks Mandy & Trish,

I'm stable on targeted drug now. I am just seeking a backup plan in case one day targeted drug fails.

Congratulations on the retirement, Trish. I haven't worked for a while. This fighting cancer thing is a full time job. My family is financially supporting me.

• aussie12
    aussie12 Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi all

Enjoy your retirement Trish, too bad that your concussion has made a big impact on your life.

I ended up in the ED yesterday as at work I went to the toilet and had started bleeding quite a lot. I had my ovaries out in 2015 and haven't had a period since so was very worried. I spoke to one of the chemo nurses who said to go the ED. I'd just had my CT scan on Monday and they sais that it was clear and my blood test yesterday was good as well.

I am going to see a Gynegologist hopefully within the next few weeks. Today I felt tired and didn't go to work. I panicked and got upset when I saw the blood thinking that I just didn't want to go through more surgery etc again.

Chrissy you look like you are having a great holiday.

Carol

• Trisha-Anne
    edited March 2019
    Options

Carol, that must have been awful for you - I would have panicked too! I hope you can get to see the gynie soon.

Chrissy - I've been following your travels on fb - you are following in our footsteps almost exactly! Pics are great.

Yes, I know I need to rest and heal, and retirement is the best option - I'm just so worried about money. I know it will all work out, but I can't help but worry.

Trish

xoxox

• aussie12
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi all

So I woke up this morning with more bleeding then I was sick so I rang the chemo unit up where I see the Oncologist to get an earlier appointment. Luckily I got in this Thursday to see the Doctor instead of next week. Hopefully he might be able to sort something out sooner to see what is going on.

Carol

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited March 2019
    Options

I don't have to have blood tests anymore the dr has agreed there is no point just try and eat ok xx

• chrissyb
    edited March 2019
    Options

Oh Judy, no words. Sending gentle (((hugs))) for some mental fortitude and prayers to you are able to eat more.❤

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• AllyBee
    AllyBee Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi fellow Aussies Smile

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but my husband just sent me this snippet out of the news. About time is all I can say.

Tuesday's Budget will also include PET scans - which take whole body scans - for advanced breast cancer as a Medicare item from November 1.
    About 10,000 patients will save up to $1000 per scan.

Ally

• chrissyb
    edited March 2019
    Options

Wow! Thanks Alybee for that info as I didn't know that.

Oh, welcome to the Aussie thread.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• AllyBee
    AllyBee Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you Chrissy. Smile

• aussie12
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi all

I saw my Oncologist on Thursday, he again said that my act was good, no signs of cancer. He said to stop taking Tamoxifen tablets as that can cause bleeding and the last 2 days I haven't bled at all. In 2014 before my bowel cancer I had an extra period and had a D&C as I knew that tamoxifen could cause problems.

I have an appointment to see a Gynecologist on 10th April so I'll see what they say.

Best wishes Delvzy.

Carol

• chrissyb
    edited March 2019
    Options

Being able to stop Tamoxifen is good, Carol. Glad that the bleeding was nothing major and even better, it wasn't anything to do with cancer. Good luck with the Gynae appointment.

I'm still pushing on even though I'm as tired as. I roughly worked out how many miles, not kilometers, that I have driven since we arrived in the UK......I'm sort of blown away but it does suggest a good reason for the tiredness. At this point with one day to go, I have driven nearly 4,000 miles.

My leg is still numb and gets annoying at times but I'm pushing through.......Another thing to get sorted when I get back.😁

Hoping you are all okay.

Live n hugs. Chrissy

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited March 2019
    Options

Aussie ..great news that you're act is good :-)

Chrissy ..I think anyone would be tired after all that driving !! When we did our Europe trip 8 years ago we went on a tour ..so we didn't drive ourselves at all ..but I was still exhausted by the end of it !!

Judy ..sending hugs , and thinking of you ..

• Trisha-Anne
    edited March 2019
    Options

Judy - sending you (((hugs)))

Carol, good to hear you have a reason for the bleeding.

AllyBee, welcome to our little group. Yes - I heard that lovely bit of information on the news. Yes - it really is about time!

Chrissy - you make sure you look after yourself girl, I know you are enjoying yourself though xox

Trish

xoxo

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    edited April 2019
    Options

Cancer Australia has just released this data on survival based on stage at diagnosis. Itlooks at the years 2011 - 2016, which seems a bit dated given the many new treatments available.

https://canceraustralia.gov.au/about-us/news/new-era-insights-release-survival-stage-diagnosis-data-top-five-cancers-0

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2019
    Options

thank you for the link Kanga

• aussie12
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi all

Since my last post I have seen the Gynacologist and have an ultrasound booked plus I'm having a hysteroscopy in about a month.

But then on Thursday my Oncologist rang me up and said that my blood test that I had on Monday the Cancer markers where very high f and I need to have a PET scan as it shows more than a CT scan. I have had one before. I've also been bleeding again and also some blood from the bowel as well after I go to the toilet.

I'm going to the hospital on Monday to have my port flushed and to get my PET scan sorted, the Doctor wants it done within 7 days. I will ask if I can see the Oncologist and let him know about my bleeding from the back.

This time last year I was in hospital with my blocked bowel and spent Easter in hospital. It's crappy that every 1 to 2 years I seem to get cancer back again !!!

Carol

• chrissyb
    edited April 2019
    Options

Oh no, Carol!! You are having a rough trot for sure. Keeping everything crossed that your PET gives good results. Please let us know the outcome.❤

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited April 2019
    Options

Carol...thinking of you ..and hoping for good results for you .

• mandymoo
    mandymoo Member Posts: 632
    edited April 2019
    Options

Carol, Sorry to hear this bad news. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs

Mandy xxx

• aussie12
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi all

On Monday I have my PET scan and ultrasound and then my Hysteroscopy on Wednesday 15 May. I am still bleeding and even tonight I just had an upset stomach and am not feeling the best. Hopefully I will get it all sorted within a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Carol

• chrissyb
    edited April 2019
    Options

Oh Carol, that doesn't sound good at all that you are still bleeding.......thank goodness your scans are soon. Keeping everything crossed that what they show is not too bad. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• aussie12
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi all

So I have a mass in my uterus plus another spot on my bowel where the last surgery was. I will find out early next week what is going to happen, the Oncologist said that I will need surgery again.

I went to work at 3pm but when I got there I got upset and had to come home. I'm just tired of the cancer coming back all the time.

Carol

• chrissyb
    edited May 2019
    Options

Oh Carol, that's not good news at all. Sending you the biggest (((((((hug))))))) I can muster. Please let us know your next step.❤

Love n hugs. Chrissy