Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• IHOP
    IHOP Member Posts: 24
    Options

Veneers, but they are very expensive.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Just found this thread and love it.  I also use coconut oil.  Was told to buy unrefined or cold pressed they are the ones that have the coconut smell and the good things are still in them.  I have always had oily skin although it has become dryer but still not dry.  I have been using it on my face and have not had any problems with acne.  I love it. 

I am almost through with rads and the RO has told me to keep using my creams for a couple of more weeks then wants me to switch to a good vitamin E cream.  Any recommendations out there.  Thought I would also use my coconut oil on my breast as well.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options
    Barbe some people do have whiter teeth than others. (Thanks dad for the white teeth). If you must talk to your dentist about this. The can give you something more powerful. Then there is that laser treatment thing but that can be pricey.  I would never do the laser thing because it would make my teeth too white. I find when people make their teeth to white it looks fake or like a bad denture job.
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

I had the dentist pack of whiteners where they make a mold and then I have to use it twice a day. Still didn't make a difference. Another dentist I "complained" every visit but he didn't even offer to whiten them, so I guess he knew. Mine aren't yellow, just not bright white. My DH's ARE yellow from smoking. So were my Mom's and Dad's. Nice and straight and all, but yellow. Mine are just dull. Certain lipstick colours make them look better and others worse.

• lago
    Options

As long as they aren't yellow or too gray I'm sure you're fine. My DH has the yellow teeth from smoking. I told him he needs to get them whitened again (and stop smoking like he keeps promising).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    Options

deleted

• lago
    Options

1 more thing I swear by my sonicare toothbrush. Have been using it for over 10 years. Whiter teeth and healthier gums.

• x-raygirl
    x-raygirl Member Posts: 97
    Options

Barb - try the advanced ones and leave them on for an hour each time.  My dental hygenist told me to keep them longer and then to rinse with fluoride mouthwash if  my gums got sore.  I have had a huge amount of success with them.  Good luck.   Daiva

• x-raygirl
    x-raygirl Member Posts: 97
    Options

Lago ~ I'm with you on the sonicare toothbrush.  I swear by it!!!

I just had my ovaries out last Friday and don't want to shrivel up like a prune and experience accelerated aging.  I already feel older in some ways, thanks to BC, but I'll be darned if I will look it.  Has anyone hear had an ooph?  I'm slathering coconut oil on daily in hopes of preventing wrinkles and super dry skin.  I thought of this thread when I put my makeup on this  morning.  Then, I pulled my shoulders back, chin up and waltzed out of the bathroom (not really, I'm feeling down today).  But I did stand straight and made the decision to not look like a hag :-)  ~  Daiva 

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    Options

Barbe -- I did the whitening thing through the dentist last fall.  He used a relatively new whitener called opalescence.  I wore the mold every night and within a month my teeth were several shades lighter.

There's a new OTC one on the market which is supposed to be amazing.  Can't remember the name but it has the word Smile in it.  Was developed by a dentist (A Cdn one I think, but not sure).  Check at the pharmacist's.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

deleted

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    Options

x-raygirl, I had an ooph 15 months ago.  It deffinately made me feel older.  I think it was more the switching from tamox to the AI's, or at least that was the icing on the cake for me.  the adjustments took a while but after some time my body seems to be adjusting.  As far as the accelerated aging I am doing everything mentioned here to combat it.  I think the hydrating(inside and out) and exercise are the most important aspects.  I also recently took up yoga to keep my flexibilty...Love it!

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options

x-raygirl:

Sorry that you are down today.  It seems that your body wants to cooperate, but your mind isn't quite there.  I hope that tomorrow will be a better day.  I haven't had an ooph, but I know there are ladies on this thread that have.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

deleted

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    Options

Love all this great information! My goal for this year is to start feeling more feminine and better about my appearance. Chemo and rads left my skin dry, my fingernails all fell off three times (they are back now but brittle even with polish), my hair dry etc. I'm just discovering Argon -- I love the hair conditioning mask!

Unfortunately, I live on the outskirts of the big city. There's not a Whole Foods for miles and miles!

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Caerus: I agree that AI's make me feel lousy but I will stay on as long as I am allowed!  I am 95%ER/PR positive with 2 young children at home.  I am doing as many benificial lifestyle changes that I can.  I never knew that staying healthy and aging gracefully would be such hard workFoot in mouth...I get exhausted just thinking of it!
  • tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

Hi Ladies!

What about nails?  I'm 15 months out from chemo, 4 months out from Herceptin, and currently taking Tamoxifen for a little over a year.  My nails are still  very thin and peel easily.  I try to condition my cuticles every day, and I know this time of year is hard w/ the cold and dry air, but the nails are just awfulYell.  I'm so tempted to go back to gels b/c they look so clean and nice, but the idea of doing more damage to my already thin nails just isn't smart.

A little clear polish helps somewhat, and a regular manicure looks ok for a short time, but, but i'm more interested in geting the nail itself healthier and stronger.  Any ideas?

Sherrill

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,013
    Options

I don't know if there is a specific nail cure or not. Probably it is more a matter of time plus good nutrition and overall health.

This won't help with the teeth whiteness; but for good gum health try the little, tiny dental brushes (the pack I have is called 'DenTek Easy Brush').  Ever since I added them to my daily brushing, flossing regimen, the hygenist raves about how BEAUTIFUL my gums are & it sure makes the cleaning go fast & easy.

• sespebadger
    sespebadger Member Posts: 11
    Options

Uh, oh.....I've been lurking on this thread, and it's fun! Thanks for all the tips.

Here's my two cents: I found coconut oil at a large grocery store in the baking aise. I used it pre-chemo on my naturally coarse hair to give it shine. My post chemo hair is softer (and a lot shorter) so I haven't used it recently. But it keeps well. 

During chemo I found that an eyebrow pencil was very useful. Found it best to use a lighter shade so I didn't end up looking like Joan Crawford. Love her movies, but those eyebrows scared the heck out of me. Sometimes I used a lighter colr and then just a few flecks of a darker one.

I'm getting compliments on my salt and pepper hair. It's got all shades from charcoal gray to bright white. I had colored my hair since I was about 35, so my new look is an adjustment, but I think it's flatering to my skin tone. I think the secret to great looking gray hair is to use a shampoo designed for gray hair. I use Aveda's Blue Malva shampoo and conditioner. It's all natural, smells good, keep the yellow out, and you just need a teeny bit. The worst looking gray hair is yellowed gray hair. Aaaack!!  Also, I got my first haircut 6 months post chemo (I had been trimming it a bit myself before that) and that makes a huge difference. I hated the "growing straight up" phase!!! Yay for hair!!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    Options

Hi Ladies. It is going to be a good day ! All day Today! I was thinking of getting one of those stripper poles,not for the bedroom ,but for maybe the den for exercize.Then I had a vision of me being stuck to it until my DH got home and he has to call the EMTs to pry me off or take me to the hospital, pole and all to be cut off of it. Meantime my little grand dog wants to mark territory and pees on it. Can you imagine me saying ,I am stuck to my stripper pole and can't get off? Ha! Ha! Ha! So that vision has ended that thought.

The Sonicare tooth brush is the best! I just allowed my nails to regenerate on their own. The black and the ridges have all gone away and they are pretty strong now. I went to the spa and got one of those hot stone massages. It was the best.that will certainly make you feel feminine.

• Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132
    Options

Some GREAT remedies - Geletin for the nails and protein, lots of it. Fish Oil and VIT E.  Also a nice lemon and water soak for nails helps the yellowing disappear little by little.  Be careful of having your nails done at a salon, the UV light you put your hands under can promote skin cancer, yes under your nails....put some SPF on them before you put them under the lights...

Just had my hair done today and she did a super job, a long type of shag, layered and all the conditioning and spf in my hair (yes hair) has paid off since my chemo days, small haircuts to ensure that the dead ends are gone also helped promote my now nice healthy hair and long mane...good luck ladies and enjoy! 

• donnadio
    donnadio Member Posts: 674
    Options

The Crest white strips DID NOT work for me either.Decided to save money and have an appt in March to have them whitened professionally.! chemo did a number on mine and plus were not so great to begin with!!!

• [Deleted User]
    Options

deleted

• lago
    Options

1+ year ago my D was 4. Now it's 73! A little high but they're not concerned.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    Options

Never had an ooph, but am going through natural menopause right now.  It's been 11 months without a period.  I've had all the side effects from the increasing wrinkles to the sometimes achy joints.  Nails and hair got brittle for awhile, but not anymore.  I'm not sure what helped. Could be  that I switched over to a different brand of fish oil and Vit. D and also take a multivitamin from Trader Joes that is good for hair, skin, and nails.  And I do use flaxseed.

My first Vit D test was 28, which my Onc thought was fine, but I didn't, so I got it up to 36 and then 38 in Sept, which disappointed me after a whole summer spent in the sun!  Lago, how did you get yours up so high?  I've increased my intake from 1000 to 2000 IUs a day, so hopefully, the next test is at a much higher level.

I am not on AIs, but tamoxifen, and just out of fear of what the AIs would do to my skin, joints,  and everything else, I have told my Onc I don't want to switch over to them.  So far, with eating healthy and lots of fruits, veggies, water, taking my supplements, combined with exercise, I am doing OK.  With the AIs, I feel like I'd be ruining a pretty good thing.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

deleted

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    Options

Nails...I take gelatin capsules, about 3x a day. I've seen great growth.

I had an ooph 2 weeks after bc diagnosis. Having felt any emotional, depressed type swings or feelings. Just hot flashes and dryness (I'm 51) everywhere! Add Femara and the lack of estrogen is a life changer !!Coconut oil has been my friend. Just started on a very low dose (300 mg) of Neurontin for hot flashes. I was having 8-10 a day. It has almost eliminated them. As much as I hated to start a med, the results are WONDERFUL!!

Take Vit D 5,000 iu daily. Started at 33, and now up to 41 after 3 months.

I love Burts Bees body lotion and night cream. 

• lago
    Options
    Caerus I don't remember but initially I was on prescription D. Then I started taking 1000IU of D-3 daily (note there is 400 IU in my multi-vitamin). That got it in the low normal range. A year after I was diagnosed with low D my onc had my bone density tested and I'm slightly osteopenic so she added 1200 of Calcium which comes with another 400 IU of D. That's how it got up so high. It's been 16 months since I was initially diagnosed with low D. Oh and I do eat yogurt every day.
  • Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    Options

I got eyebrow tattoos because my eyebrows never returned. Thinking of getting eyeliner tattoos as well because my lashes are so darned thin. They used to be one of my best features: ultra long and lush. I barely needed mascara before BC.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options

I have been thinking about tattooing my eyebrows because they never grew back properly.Is it expensive? Did you go to a salon or a tattoo parlour?