Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Physical aging appearance

Options

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Sounds like you're off to buy drugs mum!! Most hair salons can do them. Just ask. Just do it.

hehehehehehehehe

• susand
    susand Member Posts: 65
    Options

Texas357, my eyebrows never filled back in completely.  I have bare patches.  I use a pencil to fill it in but have considered tattoos.  Are you happy with the results?  I hope they look fabulous.  My one concern is that I have very dark hair but I am starting to get a few greys...what happens down the road if my eyebrows turn grey?

• Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132
    Options

Ladies - before you spend money on tattoos, try a make-over at your nearest ULTA cosmetics store, wonderful gals in there, I recently had a "ok lets bring me up to speed" make over and WOW, sure I could have done it myself, but I had a blast with the gal Nikkii there who just transformed me into, waaalaaa, a woman of 47 that looks her age with very little make up, I just needed a major pick me upper in life and was really feeling pretty down and out and not very good about myself, now months later and a new doo, just yesterday, hello....I'm BACKKKKKKK!!!!  I forgot WHO I was and about MYSELF and put so many before me, I started to think and act, I didn't deserve anything anymore and HELL, that just isn't me and wasn't me and NOW I know, after taking time off from life and healing, recovering and reading a lot, a book a day, I am in CONTROL of my life and myself and LOVE IT!!! CHEERS everyone......go out and HAVE SOME FUN!!!

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

My brows and lashes aren't the same since bc. I've been using a pencil to fill in the brows a bit and they look ok. I also had very long, thick, dark eyelashes pre bc but now mascara has become a necessity.

• susand
    Options

onetoughwoman47: the makeover sounds wonderful.  The reason I have considered tatoo's though is because I get tired of filling in the blanks of my eyebrows everyday.  I also hate that I worry that  if I go swimming, sweat at the gym, etc.. that they will wipe off.  I would love somthing permanent.  My only hesitation is that if my natural eyebrow color changes with age will I have these dark tatoos remaining? Anyone have more suggestions or info?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

I was thinking about it but my cousin did the brows and hers look really fake, especially when she is at the beaches & places where you ordinately wouldn't be wearing heavy makeup. You would want to go to someone whose work you have seen & make sure that they know the results you are looking for.

• motheroffoursons
    motheroffoursons Member Posts: 80
    Options

I too have aged in the last few years since taking Tamoxifin.  My skin on my arms feels like crepe paper.

I have gotten shorter too because of menopause.  I lost a couple of inches in the last few years.

It is terribly discouraging to have your BMI increase not because you gained weight, but because you became shorter!Smile

However, growing old is not bad when you consider the alternative!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

susan I wonder if they could do a softer black that would look ok with aging. Seems like alot of women who have gray ebrows seem to use eye pencils to add color back into them anyway.

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    Options

It was about $250. I went to a former oncology nurse who has her own cosmetic tattoo business now. She did a fantastic job -- each hair was tatooed separately, and she used minor differences in colors to make the brows look more natural (not like a caterpiller).

I've seen pictures of the 3-D nipple tattoos she does ... and if mine ever flatten out, I may go to her to "fix" how they look.  

• susand
    Options

Texas: Wow.  it sounds like she did an amazing job.  You may have motivated me to look into it. I just dont know where to find someone!  How long did it take for the redness and swelling to go down?  Thanks for all the info!  Susand

• donnadio
    donnadio Member Posts: 674
    Options

lago..no wonder why you have so much sunshine in your messages...lolol! I had been low before bc.. and then got up to 43 ,doin 5k of Vit D3. I had to cut back however as I had alot of itchiness and upper leg pain and attribute it to too much for me.  I take 1-2K per day.I also have it in my Calcium vits.

For me, i think it all varies in vitamins absorbing.. i know I am not absorbing nurtirients or food as i could be. I have been working on my gut area for some time. Flooding my gut with heavy duty probiotics from my Dr is in the process at the moment. I am not even absorbing excercise like I use to, i get too exhausted and not sure if it is seasonal depression or just not absorbing things???I get this every winter and i am not using my BC as an excuse as it is almost two years!!!

Love this thread!!!Oh I use Burts Bee.. Radiance in the shower and facial clenser with chamomile is wonderful. Also use Aveda hair care!!Coconut oil rocks!!lolol.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    Options

deleted

• barbe1958
    Options

Huh, did you move down the street from me? That sounds like OUR weather until May.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    Options

Don23 - Avalon Organics I bought at Whole Foods. I think it was $15? Somewhere in that price range! You can probably also find it online.. but at least with Whole Foods if it doesn't work out, you can take it back.

• Nordy
    Options

Has anyone every considered trying Lattisse? It is that new stuff for eyelashes. My sister in law works for a PS and she said it works great. My only issue is that if it gets in your eye at all, it could turn your eyes brown. Fine for someone who might already have brown eyes! I don't!!! And I like my blue eyes - both my kids have them!

• Nordy
    Options

I think I am going to go buy a sonicare!!! Does it help with your gums???

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Yes sonicare definitely helps your gums but flossing will help a lot too.

• Nordy
    Options

LOL... I floss everyday - that is not the issue... and sometimes twice a day! LOLOL  Good heavens I started flossing my kids' teeth when they were 2!

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    Options

I haven't tried Latisse, but I have tried ReVitaLash.  It's non-perscription and is supposed to be similar to Latisse (it also warns of the darkening of the lid).  I haven't been really good about using it regularly, so I can't report if it works or not.  If I ever get on the ball and use it every night like it says to, I'll let you all know if it works.

Sherrill

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    Options

FYI to anyone that is interested.  Latisse is actually a glaucoma medication.  It's side effect is lash growth and possible eye color change (blue or green to brown) that is not reversible.  I work for an ophthalmology practice and it not something that comes highly recommended in that venue. 

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    Options

i was diagnosed at age 49.  stage IIIc. so, i had surgery...chemo...rads...arimidex.  i am now 58. i think i have the "cancer look"  much thinner in the face...hair is thin...body has changed.  i was very perky...before dx....on estrogen.  i think as i have gone through the treatments...stress...etc...yeah...my body has aged...i look much different...but i guess i am happy i am alive and doing my life.  it is hard to know the if the physical changes are all related to cancer...and the treatments ...or just aging.  i think it is a lot from the treatment and being so sick.

i cycle every day..i walk every day..and i eat good stuff. i use cream on my wrinkles.  but yeah, i think cancer ages us.  maybe that is a good thing, Cool

• Nordy
    Options

wenweb - thank you! I was thinking I did not want to use it... I will just stick with my mascara!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

My eyelashes are sparser than they used to be, and with my new short "chemo" do, I've been thinking that I really need to emphasize my eyes. Too scared of the Latisse and turning my blue eyes brown, but I have read that you can have semi-permanent eyelashes attached - NOT the funny fake eyelashes of yore! Remember those things? They would fall off while you were blinking!

Nordy, the dentist has been complimenting my teeth ever since I got the Sonicare! But after this drying chemo which gave me dry mouth for so long, I'm going to try Ruthbru's suggestion of those little dental brushes, too!  And I'm going to try that firming skin cream you mentioned on the other page (don't want to lose my post). Wrinkles, no problem but saggy skin, yes! Also due to the chemo, I'm sure. I'll try anything before I resort to actual surgery!

I've heard that the eyebrow tattoos fade some over time, because my mother has had hers done several times. I'm too scared to do it since my eyebrows are back, but they do need a little filling in. I do like someone else said - I use a lighter color for the main outline to the edges, then fill in a little with a darker shade. Scared of the Joan Crawford look, too!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    Options

deleted

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Walgreens sells Biotene. I have used the mouth wash every night since chemo. I've had a little dry mouth for a few days but for the most part I've been ok throughout my treatment.

• barbe1958
    Options

My brows got sparse ever since my sister asked me 10 years ago if my eyebrows seemed to be getting thinner as I got older. Until then they were fine! Yell What I do is use brown eyeshadow only at the part by my nose. I put a slash of shadow at the base and it seems to give the impression that I have more brow than I do. When/if I colour my hair, I also colour my brows at the same time. I colour maybe once every 6-9 months.

• Texas357
    Options

My brows never did turn red. They looked great right away! I felt like I'd reclaimed a part of myself. It was a great confidence-booster but I still have a ways to go.

• CrazyKitties
    CrazyKitties Member Posts: 58
    Options

Coconut oil applied daily to your feet for 6 months(yes, 6 months)will completely change your feet. Forever. Keep using it, and be patient. I use a vitamin C serum on my face daily and it has made a world of difference. Go to your dermatologist and get a retin a cream---it really de-ages skin.I also use good mineral makeup, like Jane Iredale, in loose powder form. Underneath that i use either Neutrogena Tinted moisturizer spf 30 or Aveeno Tinted Moisturizer spf 30. It gives you a GLOW under the powder.

• susand
    Options

Thanks Texas, I made an appointment with a cosmetic tattoo artist for a consultation. She said I can look through her portfolio and at her eyebrows since she has done her own.  I hope it works out!  Were you able to go to work the next day without it looking too noticable or should I try and have it done when I wont be seeing people for a few days? 

• Texas357
    Options

I had mine done on a Saturday and honestly, they looked fine by that evening. I had anticipated redness since I tend to "pink up" after anyone touches my skin. But this lady was good! To be on the safe side, you might want to give yourself a few days though ... just in case.