Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stitching the pieces together

Options

Comments

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited April 2019
    Options

Good morning! I don't think I've posted here before but wanted to join to have a “happy place" to post on BCO. 😊 I've been quilting for decades thanks to my mom. She passed away two years ago and left a significant stash of gorgeous fabrics. MelissaDallas mentioned a la passacaglia quilt one day and my curiosity got the better of me..... And so I learned English Paper Piecing. It is both the most relaxing -and- frustrating thing I've ever done! I struggle with color combinations; my first medallion has taken months to complete (although I did take a break for several months to EPP a hexi quilt for my new grand baby). I'm back to it and excited to keep going!

(PS - thanks Melissa!!

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited April 2019
    Options

NancyHB, I love your hexie baby quilt! I feel the same about my LaPass. I am definitely “overthinking” mine, but in the end they are all gorgeous and I need to stop second guessing myself. I just hope I live to a ripe old age if I am ever going to finish it. I wish the pieces could prep themselves so I could just sit down and sew in the evening when I get home from work.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited April 2019
    Options

Nancy, that's really pretty, so intricate!

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599
    edited April 2019
    Options

Very pretty, Nancy! I haven't done much EPP but I love it. One of the women in my quilting chapter does only paper piecing. She has made all sizes of quilts, etc. using only paper piecing. Someday I'd like to do a whole quilt in EPP. Maybe someday......

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited May 2019
    Options

Just started my latest latch hook rug.

• laurenn
    laurenn Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019
    Options
  • melissadallas
    edited May 2019
    Options

LaurenN, do you sew for, or are you otherwise associated with Victoria’s Quilts?

• laurenn
    laurenn Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019
    Options

Not associated. A friend gifted a quilt from this volunteer organization. due to my cancer diagnosis. Wonderful organization, beautiful quilts.

• m0mmyof3
    edited January 2020
    Options

Went to put up my Valentine's decorations and discovered one was busted up so bad that I couldn't fix it. So luckily I have spare plastic canvas, yarn and the pattern to make a new copy of the one that was destroyed

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi, there. Quilter and general crafter here...getting a lot more crafts in since we've been stuck in the house. Just wanted to join in and say hello!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited May 2020
    Options

Welcome, Lexica. Currently using my quilting stash more for masks than quilts!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited May 2020
    Options

Welcome Lexica. Another quilter here, but nothing recently. I would be using more of my stash if my sewing machine would get off it's high horse and start working right.

• m0mmyof3
    edited May 2020
    Options

Working on another latch hook rug. Over half way done! Started it when we went into lockdown. Here’s what it will look like when it’s done.

• beaverntx
    edited May 2020
    Options

MOmmy, that is gorgeous!

Wren, I had to have a good long talk with my machine to convince it really did need to work again.

• m0mmyof3
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thanks!

• wren44
    edited May 2020
    Options

I'll try that. Probably more profitable than composing letters to Singer in my head. I swear, this machine was the winner in the contest to design the most difficult sewing machine in the world. I think the designer had been making machines for little kids in 3rd world countries. There are so many places my fingers won't fit. And I think you should be able to see to thread the needle without removing the presser foot.

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited May 2020
    Options

Wow, M0mmy that is amazing!

Wren, I had to break down and get a new one last year after mine got too fussy. I didn't sew for a whole year (I guess that was my mourning period...) until I started sewing masks recently. I think I've decided this is a time to finish all my unfinished projects...which I have lots of. Started this afghan ~10 years ago...the first time I've blocked a yarn project. It's wonky in about 20 different places, but oh well. Of course my 5 year old claims anything I make as hers, lol.

Are you making masks for family or other?

• melissadallas
    edited May 2020
    Options

There will be too much other stuff to do for a long time, but one of the entries on my “future quilts“ list for years has been a quilt from men’s shirts. My Daddy died Saturday. Now I know where the shirts will come from.

My internet inspiration is this one- I just love how she did the colors and patterns.image

• wren44
    edited May 2020
    Options

When she looks that cute wrapped in it, of course it's hers. It's very bright and cheery, love it.

I'm making masks for family since they're entirely sewn by hand. If my machine starts working, there's a group making masks that I can join.

There's a program here for helping elderly remain in their homes as they need more help. They made 2 masks for every member and delivered them to their homes. Great idea!

• wren44
    edited May 2020
    Options

Melissa, That's a wonderful idea.

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Lately I have been thinking about trying to learn how to crochet, but there are a couple of wrinkles in that plan. First off, I’m left handed and second my mom is the only left handed person who could teach me is my mom who lives halfway across the country.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2020
    Options

There are lots of Youtube left-handed crochet tutorials!

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=left+handed+crochet+tutorials

When I have trouble with things like quilt binding I go find a youtube video and watch someone else do it. Basic beginning crochet books are pretty easy to follow toocrochet

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

i think I am going to give it a try over the winter.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2020
    Options

I think crochet is pretty easy to learn (and cheap to get started.) The hard part is getting good enough to be consistent so that everything is even and the proper dimensions to the pattern

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited October 2020
    Options

I've taught left-handed crocheters and I'm right-handed. Just sit across from each other and its a mirror image. Do what you see on the same side--you left, teacher right. It's fun, fast, and easy! Enjoy!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Thanks for the tips gals. I’ve always wanted to try it but was afraid I would not be able to get good at it.

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Well, I have started and so far after a few mess ups I have learned chaining and turning rows. Only on second row of my first project which is a simple dresser scarf

• beaverntx
    edited October 2020
    Options

MOmmy, good for you. In my experience the first two rows are the most challenging, especially because there is so little to hold on to!

• m0mmyof3
    edited October 2020
    Options

Had to tear it all out! The tension in the yarn was too tight for the hook to get into the right places! Ah well, it just means more practice!

• melissadallas
    edited October 2020
    Options

But it all good, because you can reuse the yarn! Just takes practice