Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Clars - glad to have you. As Eric said - pull up and chair and share what your cooking & eating. Wally - I was just thinking today I'm hungry for pizza. Since it's just me, I don't order it at home. Eric - LOVE the book interlude. I need to have an intervention every time I get in the car so I don't buy another book. But in fact did go to the used book store yesterday and came home with 10 more.

Chicken Salad Chick did indeed still have the "Dilly Delicious" chicken salad yesterday, so that was dinner tonight on crackers. I'm glad I had it since I ended up in the med center all afternoon. Ugh I hate driving in traffic. One of the benefits of retirement is I can usually avoid it, but the eye doc wanted to do some extra tests while I was there & my eyes were already dilated. That was an extra 1-1/2 hours and had me leaving after 4pm.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

Goldie was going to MI for three weeks to look for a house. She has family in MI. I believe she will also keep her AZ house for the time being.

We had leftover rice and pork dish last night and corn on the cob cooked on the grill. The corn has been an ongoing project and last night's was the best so far.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835

Eric, I am here. Only reading and not posting. My meals are rather "blah"! Dealing with health issues, house hunting online and getting ready to go to MI. the end of the month for 3 weeks. Thank you for thinking of me. My garden was a flop this year as well, I did not get a darned thing!

I was in the hospital end of July with kidney failure, almost to the point where they were going to have to put me on dialasis. They basically did some emergency surgery, stents put in my kidneys and I escaped dialasis! Yesterday was follow up with nephrologist and my kidneys are improving.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 46

Thanks for the kind welcome ☺️ all the food you are sharing sounds yummy and I love hearing about peoples’ garden!

Tonight we are having cottage pie with greens.

We are at a festival for four nights from tomorrow so we will be having camping meals, which I kind of love doing!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Friday night we went to Mon Ami Gabi for skate wing (me) & steak frites (Bob). Over the weekend we went to a friend's 70th birthday party on Sat. night—very informal, with chili, cornbread & cherry pie. (Definitely been carb-cheating). Sunday we went to the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the Buliding Formerly Known as the Hancock (now called just "875 N. Michigan Ave"). We had a great brunch as we watched the Air & Water Show (this year's stars were the Air Force's Thunderbirds, as opposed to last year's Blue Angels). Started with a cold seafood tower; then lobster bisque and smoked salmon Benedict with asparagus; dessert was triple chocolate mousse cake and banana bread pudding—we shared both.

Monday's brunch was the other half of my Benedict (with tomato slices subbing for the English muffin (which I tossed). Monday dinner was coho salmon with a Caprese, grilled asparagus and corn on the cob. Yesterday's brunch was the leftover skirt steak and a fried egg, with a handful of mixed nuts. Last night was the last mild clear night for a while, so we walked to Regalia—we shared a Mediterranean salad; Bob had veal scallopini marsala with garlic mashed potatoes and I had branzino piccata with roasted cauliflower. (I brought half of mine home).

Today it was brutally hot out—not sauna-hot but instead a giant schvitz (98F with heat index of 114—worse tomorrow, 102/116, respectively). I wasn't going anywhere! After Bob got his Prevnar shot, he had a huge breakfast at the diner down the block (he'd preferred Ann Sather's, but the line was out the door and he wisely opted not to wait in the stifling heat). I made a keto version of the NYC "egg on a roll" with a fried egg, tomato, turkey sausage patty and sharp white cheddar. For lunch, Bob had the chicken and pork tamales I'd bought him at the farmers' market on Monday. I'd planned to supplement dinner with my leftovers from last night, but the trout I defrosted was more than enough for the two of us. I nuked it in parchment with herbs (tarragon, dill, and homegrown parsley, thyme & basil) and lemon, for 90 seconds. Supplemented with sauteed julienne red & poblano peppers and yellow-squash "zoodles" with tomatoes & grated parm. Dessert was Greek yogurt with vanilla and walnuts. The leftover branzino & cauliflower will be my brunch tomorrow.

• carolehalston

We went to dinner at nearby Clancy's last night. We sat out on the patio overlooking our lake, Island Lake, with a view of Pine Hollow Resort (where we live) dock at the opposite side of the lake. DH had the special, chicken fried steak, and I had broasted chicken, a thigh and a drumstick. It was very pleasant except for a few uninvited flies. Autumn and September are always fly weather.

It was good not to cook.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Goldie….I'm glad the medical stuff is improving and hope it continues to improve.

Sharon and I will be in Detroit toward the end of September to visit our daughter, so we will be in the same general area, but probably not at the same time.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Glad to hear your situation is improving, Goldie, and hope you find a house you love.

Leftover liver and onions last night.

• eric95us

We brought home another 792 pounds of books, but I need to put together another two bookcases so I can get them all shelved. They are loosely organized now, but over time, we move things around to get them properly organized. The loose organization is so that we won't need to be moving between bookcases (too much) as we get things set the way we would like them.

One of the long term project is to build some "bespoke bookcases" so we can maximize the use of the available space. By doing that we can fit about 1/3 more books than we currently have. :-)

• chisandy
    edited August 2023

"Uninvited flies" (specifically skeeters & gnats) are a bone of contention between Bob & me when it comes to outdoor dining. I do occasionally get apprehensive about indoor restaurant dining (except during triple-digit/steamy outdoor temps) because COVID is beginning to tick up again and my acquired immunity is doubtless fading (second bivalent booster was back in late April and my second bout of COVID was the first few days of January). But Bob, having Type O blood, is a mosquito magnet—and cases of West Nile virus have begun to be reported in Cook County. Both diseases are terrible, but West Nile has a higher fatality rate with neither vaccines nor treatments.

I hate cooking in this weather, though—too hot to grill and I don't want to heat up the kitchen (and especially not stink it up by cooking fish).

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Burgers and tots tonight.

I’m thinking blackened mahi mahi tomorrow, then I’m not sure. I really need to use up what we have before heading to Houston for scans in a couple weeks.

• minustwo

Eric - I never thought of rating my books by the pound. I have 8 floor to ceiling book cases and two free standing cases, one of of which is a very old lawyer's bookcase with glass doors. Even so, I still have books piled on tables & night stands & etc. My ex-DH is getting rid of a lovely Library book case with the pull down glass for each shelf so I'm going to find room to squeeze it in somewhere.

Went to a funeral visitation last night with some neighbors & we stopped to eat after at "Bluewater Grill". I had their version of a Cobb salad with shrimp. Just OK & the restaurant was noisy. Today I finished the broccoli salad from Chicken Salad Chick. YUM.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835

Eric/Minus…..that's ALOT of books! Holy guacamole! (Since this a "dinner" thread!)

Well, I have something a little worth posting. Made a lemon/artichoke pasta with a few added things (capers and mushrooms). Sauce was not as creamy, as I didn't have any cream, so had to substitute, but it was still good. Now, if I only had Illimae to photograph for me! It sort of looks gross! But it wasn't!

• eric95us
    edited August 2023

I'm trying to out do the library! :-)

Forgot, so adding…

We had some "smoothies" at the Perkatory coffee house. Those things are very filling, so no dinner for us tonight.

• wallycat

I moved my 800+ cookbooks from Wi to WA and if I had it over again, I wished most of them were e-books. Still, something to be said for holding and browsing a good book.

Leftover frozen pizza. Rockfish was on sale so I picked up some fillets. That will be tomorrow. It will either be cooked for a heavier lunch so we can go fishing or if the weather turns out differently than forecast, I'll make the fish for dinner.

• carolehalston

I had a dermatology appointment yesterday in Bemidji, an hour's drive away. DH took advantage of the opportunity to have the Tundra truck serviced while I was getting a pre-cancer on my nose frozen. When it was time to head home, we decided on a late lunch and no dinner. So we drove to Lobo's Bar and Grill out in the boonies and had California Burgers. That's the name for burgers with lettuce and sliced tomato. Our name at home is "dressed." I had sweet potato fries, which were very good, and dh had the regular, which looked good.

It was pleasant eating at Lobo's when there were few people. We were entertained by watching a few of them buy "pulltabs" and strip them open. It's a popular form of gambling in rural MN, along with scratchoffs. We had never seen pulltabs before. DH says we don't have them in LA but do have scratchoffs.

I am a fan of ebooks and online newspaper subscriptions. Little need for bookcases. I have donated the majority of our books, which mainly collected dust.

• eric95us

I got my mom's old Bernina sewing machine out and I managed to repair a seam on some pants. The sales receipt for the machine was 17 Feb 1971. I was 10 years old then and I still remember her excitement at getting that machine to replace a 1940s Singer.

I must have watched her enough as I was able to fill the bobbin, get the thread routed to/through the needle, and get the thread up from underneath. I did have to get out a book to see how to set the machine for sewing a simple seam. The machine was set to sew a button, so I'm guessing that was the last thing she sewed. I wonder when she did that….

I had to practice on some old "gonna throw out" pillow cases before I tried the pants…the first practice attempts were not so good. :-)

Tomorrow morning we are going over to Flagstaff for the weekend so Sharon can jam with some friends that come up from Phoenix. While there we'll be using our camper. Tomorrow's lunch will be at Texas Roadhouse, so tomorrow's dinner will likely be "light to nothing". We'll be home late Sunday afternoon.

Tonight we're finishing up some leftover sweet & sour chicken.

I have a collection of e-books as well…mostly stuff that is not available, such as one on telegraph line construction that was published in the 1870s. I do like it when the e-books are searchable so I if I remember a word, I can quickly find it in the book. Still, it's nice to hold a real book.

• illimae

Tonight’s Seafood Saturday is blackened mahi mahi with rice pilaf and broccoli. So yummy.

• minustwo

Mae - looks delicious as always.

• carolehalston

Last night's potluck fish fry dinner was wonderful. I thawed a package of walleye fillets that were gifted to me and contributed the fish. Brian cooked the fish. Sides were cheesy potatoes, pasta salad. I took watermelon and dessert was a pumpkin dump cake. There was also bear jerky and venison sausage and some smoked venison chunks contributed by Dave, who is a hunter.

Brian cooked the fish in a paella pan on a grill over a fire. He's the cook in their family. He used a fish breading that created a light crispy coating. I plan to buy some of it in case it isn't available at home.

• minustwo

Special - thinking of you with the storm headed your way. Hope all goes OK and please keep in touch.

Eric - do you think you'll be deployed?

• eric95us

…thinking of Special too…. Is there anyone else that lives in that area?

The team I'm on is on call in October. However, if things get busy, teams on call for a future month can be deployed early.

Having said that, I'm not on the team's deployment list for October because Sharon and I are going to visit DD and see her newly purchased home in Ferndale, MI (a suburb of Detroit).

• chisandy
    edited August 2023

Stay safe, Special. This has been a tough summer for weather all over the country.

Carole, know what Chicagoans call burgers with lettuce & tomato? Burgers.

Fri. night we went to Andie's Mediterranean (mostly Greek) in Andersonville—it was finally the first nice night after three days of living inside a giant "schvitz." Started with the obligatory flaming saganaki (accompanied by everyone yelling "Opaaa," which is Greek for "holy s—t, this stuff is HOT")! Next were so-so Greek salads (no olives, but shredded carrots???). I had shrimp kabobs with grilled veg. (peppers, zucchini. mushrooms, and the ubiquitous carrots); Bob had the beef & chicken kabobs with rice pilaf. Sat. night we walked to Chengdu Impression (Bob wants to see them succeed, in Cellars' old space—except for opening night & Chinese New Year, they always seem to be 2/3 empty). Had the soup dumplings, spare ribs (this time we were able to get the sauce on the side), Sichuan string beans (just spicy enough, provided we didn't eat the actual bird chiles), stir-fried peapod leaves with garlic, tea-smoked half-duck and shrimp with vegetables (American vegetables, alas—when I was growing up in Brooklyn and then living in Seattle, I never encountered broccoli florets, carrots or zucchini in a stir-fry; with several Asian grocery stores w/in a mile radius, using American vegetables is inexcusable, IMHO). Sun. night we had our Greek leftovers, including "tarting up" the salad with grape tomatoes, olives, and lots of feta (and I snuck some duck). Mon. night we had the rest of the Chinese leftovers (we still have some of the green veg. remaining).

Nice haul at the farmer's market today: the Anticonquista Coffee guys were back so I got some dark roast beans—roasted Friday—for espresso; at the Sparta Gold stand, Greek oregano (which would have been nice on that leftover salad) and Kalamata olive oil; at Montelimar Bakery, multigrain sourdough; from a small MI farmstand, donut peaches and blueberries; from Loyola U's "urban farm" up the street in Rogers Park, mesclun "Rambler mix," microgreens, and bicolor cherry tomatoes. And from Tamales Express, Bob's usual fave Amish chicken and pork poblano. (He vows to take them to work for lunch, but they never make it that far—he had one tonight before dinner and I fully expect him to come downstairs at 3am for the other one).

Speaking of tomatoes, I did something I may regret: there was a huge beefsteak tomato on the vine, still green…but I decided to "rescue" it from the squirrels anyway. Should've known to wait when it didn't detach easily. Overnight in a paper bag with an overripe banana…still hard & green. A day on the sill, no change. All in all, I'd rather relegate it to "fried green tomato" duty than sacrifice it to those bushy-tailed Dracula rodents (who take a bite or two out of their "haul" and then leave them out on the deck rail, to taunt me). But this afternoon as I sipped a homemade latte out on the deck, I noticed one tomato beginning to show a bit of "blushing," so I grabbed it and put it on the sill, where it'll be ripe by this weekend. I think the coffee grounds, which somewhat repelled critters, may have slammed the brakes on ripening—my HK noticed that on her plants too. May hit them with some Miracle-Gro.

• wallycat

Two nights ago, frozen burger patty with baked beans and broccoli. Last night was root-around night—trip to Seattle for DH's radioactive treatment. Now the obligatory 3 day quarantine for him.

I think I will boil up some yukon gold potatoes in chicken broth, add Italian sausage (costco) and add some shredded cabbage for tonight's dinner.

• carolehalston

Last night was salsa chicken (two legs, can of black beans, salsa) cooked in the slow cooker. Side was Mexican boxed rice. Salad was tomato, cucumber, avocado and blue cheese.

• minustwo

Yesterday was Laurenzo's Prime Rib French Dip. I went with a good friend who finally got some 'respite care' days since her DH is in hospice at home & she didn't get any sleep for days. Food was delicious. Definitely the best french fries in town. I brought 1/2 of the sandwich home.

This surprise meal meant I didn't cook the two strip steaks I took out of the freezer on Sunday. Cooking them now as we speak before I have to go to water aerobics. I'll likely eat just part of one and slice the other into 'stir fry' pieces to re-freeze. Not even going to try to make other sides. I'm still full from yesterday and don't need to add more to my stomach before exercise.

I know Special will be busy but hope her family is OK. And any other Florida posters.

• carolehalston

I hope Special is ok, too.

Yesterday I ordered burger patties for the Labor Day celebration on Friday. Also bought wieners and buns. This is the last hurrah of the summer. Three of the full timer couples, including us, will be leaving early for one reason or another so the campground/resort will be very quiet. The weekenders can continue to come until the water is shut off before danger of freezing. Normally we would be staying another couple of weeks and enjoying cool weather and fall color but we have to go home to pack for the trip to Ireland and Scotland.

I'm interested in the food experience of the trip.

Last night was a huge ribeye and baked red potatoes. The meal was delicious and the cleanup easy.

Tonight we're meeting Ron and Judi, farmers market vendor friends, at the Mexican restaurant in the village of Dorset for dinner. I really like the poppers at this restaurant and will probably order them.

The prime rib sandwich sounds really good, Minus.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

Hi all! Thank you for thinking of me - I so appreciate your good wishes for me, and my family. My BIL/SIL live in St Pete super close to the water so we were very worried about them. We asked them to stay with us since we are further inland, but they opted to stay home. They had water make it to next door, but their property is slightly higher so the highest tide yesterday didn’t get them, thank goodness. We have some friends whose dock and property edge was completely under water on Treasure Island - their house is for sale, so they were relieved it wasn’t worse. They are/were planning to move up to Hernando County, but maybe not any more based on damage up there… Tampa has been so lucky, and I’m always afraid our luck will run out and we will get nailed by the next storm. How weird that storms that start with the letter I are our nemesis - Irma, Ian, now Idalia - crazy! The city has had flooding and some wind damage, with record high water. Storm surge, the moon, plus a king tide is a bad combo! It is so crazy to see downtown with high water covering places we often go, but from what I’ve seen so far people have stayed safe and the property can be restored. Our two houses only had typical storm mess to clean up, DD/beau’s house did fine also - the chickens also made it through. We went over yesterday to check on the house that is for sale, and while we were they we were notified that there is a showing today. There was someone in addition who has seen it twice but wanted to wait until after the storm before considering an offer. The only casualty so far is DD’s big truck, but DH thinks maybe a wet starter - we will see.

On the dinner front - I did the usual dance of deciding what to cook from the freezer in advance in case of the loss of power. We had cauliflower pasta with some foraged leftover sausage and marinara two nights ago, and chicken quesadillas last night with salsa and sour cream. I got some awesome Spanish bread (non GF, sadly) that is delish - very light and airy baguette type, made DH a chicken salad sammy with avocado and bacon for lunch after we got the house ready for today’s showing. Not sure what I am making tonight - but maybe we will grill burgers or dogs, not sure yet.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841

I am trying to avoid as much simple carbs as possible. No potato, no bread, no pasta etc. I'm also trying to be more alkaline. I'm hoping this helps me keep my weight down. One of my side effects of Arimidex is the trouble losing weight once you get it.

I had chicken sausage with broccoli last night. I had a baked salmon salad the night before with just chopped green pepper, red onion. My husband cooks the Hello Fresh meals for him and my son. I didn't realize how much butter he puts in the sauces they have on practically every piece of meat.

So far so good!

• illimae

Tonight was Angel hair with Roas, either tomato/basil or garlic/herb, I forgot which (can’t find the marinara anywhere) and turkey meatballs.

No idea about tomorrow.