Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

Dinner at Campanella's Mexican restaurant in Dorset was enjoyable, mostly because of the company, Judi and Ron, our vendor neighbors at the farmers market. Our food was in the will-not-order-again category. DH and I both got the special nachos and it was a giant mish mash of ingredients topped with melted cheese. I got more than enough to make me feel too full. My top shelf margarita tasted good but ordinary.

Campanella's building burned down about 5 years ago and the rebuilt restaurant is very attractive and comfortable. When we arrived at 5 pm when the restaurant opens, there was a long line of people waiting to enter. Fortunately for us, Judi and Ron were first in line. They had arrived early. The restaurant does a booming business all summer. The food couldn't compete with the TexMex food available to Minus but the patrons probably haven't had good TexMex.

Dinner tonight to be decided.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Last night was a frozen pizza cooked in the camper. We had an electrical power outage starting around 6pm and it wasn't restored until around 3am.

I am still looking for a gas range (stove and oven) that will work without electricity.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

I’ve had a couple of strong margaritas, so I’m torn between canned raviolis or salad and plant based chicken strips, lol

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Made some Wagyu ground beef burgers with sweet potato and slaw for sides. Leftovers tomorrow.
    Special, glad you survived the storm.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Dinner salad with tomatoes, avocados, hardboiled eggs, steak strips. Tomorrow I'll finish off the fruit salad I made Thursday and make a potato salad.

• carolehalston

The Labor Day potluck was a success. There was a lot of food. My worries about ordering enough hamburger patties and buying enough hot dogs was all for naught. There were leftovers of both. I think some people ate only the side dishes. There was a corn hole competition and, once again, dh and his partner won. I don't know why dh is so good at this game.

There was karaoke but since it's so hot, we had the a/c on and the noise was muffled. I don't know how long it went on because I went to sleep.

Dinner will probably be chili. This isn't the weather for it but I have leftover home-cooked pinto beans and thawed ground chuck.

My attention now will be focused on getting things done in preparation for departing next Sunday.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Catching up again. Glad you're safe, Special! As to DD's truck, a wet starter sounds about right—starters have dozens (maybe 100) of tiny brushes on a rotating structure, and every time the ignition is turned on one of the brushes "catches." If a brush is missing or broken, it won't engage if the rotor happens to be in that position when the key is turned/button is pushed. It happened to me once at a tollway oasis when I returned to my car and it wouldn't start. The emergency roadside assistance guy reached in and gave the rotor a turn, and the car started up. But regardless of the rotator's position, the brushes won't "catch" if they get waterlogged. Drying them out may do the trick. Anyway, starters are one of the cheaper components of the electrical system to replace.

Wanted to grill last week, but the steak I'd been defrosting in the fridge was in there so long that it was mushy. Yuck. Tuesday we went to Tapas Barcelona in Evanston; besides the paella Valenciana (tasty but no soccarat) we tried a few things we'd never had at a tapas bar: grilled asparagus with romesco sauce, eggplant roulades stuffed with goat cheese, Spanish-style escargots, and potato salad (for Bob). We had lots of leftovers. Wed. night we went to the Cubs game (great seats on only a day's notice, helps to have a son who works for a ticket broker). Afterward, we went across the street to Swift & Sons Tavern and shared a steak salad, blistered shishitos with parmesan, and the happy-hour oyster special ($18 for a dozen Rappahannocks). Thursday night was the tapas leftovers and tomatoes over mesclun. And Friday night we ordered delivery from Soul & Smoke: 1/3 rack of extremely meaty spare ribs and a brisket dinner with greens (me) and mac & cheese & cornbread (Bob). I supplemented it with a Caprese over mesclun & microgreens.

Last night I went to a motel in St. Charles so I could get to the Fox Valley Folk Festival early enough for decent parking (otherwise it'd have been a >90-min. early morning drive). Decided to splurge on a "skinny cut" (10 oz.) of prime rib, with a side Caesar salad and haricots verts. Had hoped to nuke the leftovers this morning for breakfast, but I got hungry before bedtime. Wish I'd held out, because the breakfast bar was nothing but carbs. (At least they had a mini waffle maker and sugar-free syrup). Did nibble on the various potluck (fattoush salad, quinoa with peas & garbanzos, and a little bit of pasta salad) in the performer/volunteer hospitality room. It was so hot out that I treated myself to a "kid-size" cone of "New York Cherry" (Midwest version of cherry vanilla) at one of the concessions.

Tonight, vegetarian quiche, salad and (heaven help me) chocolate cream pie from Beard & Belly/Honey Pie Bakery up the street. Back to dead animals & leaves for the duration—at least till my weigh-in the day after Yom Kippur.

• wallycat

Leftover wagyu beef patty with same sides. Tonight I'm making pork udon noodle.

• chisandy

Brunch was leftover quiche & salad. Dinner, at Joe's Steak & Seafood, was half a small cold seafood tower (lobster, king crab, shrimp, clams) and a shared bone-in ribeye with broccolini. Split cherries jubilee pie (wish it'd been real cherries jubilee flambeed tableside—does anyone do that any more)?

• carolehalston

Last night's dinner was a cheddar brat for each of us, mac and cheese (box with some added cheddar), salad with sliced tomato and avocado. Everything tasted good.

• minustwo

Spent most of the day at the med center. Between appointments I walked to a MOD pizza for lunch. Not gourmet, but I like that I can get a 6" mini pizza them walk along the line & pick whatever toppings I want for one price.

My PCP wants me to wait until 10/1 for my flu shot so it will last through the winter. I was glad to confirm that I don't need another pneumonia - EVER. And of course no Covid vaccines yet. My Neurologist was sad to report again this year that there are no human trials to regenerate the dead nerves in my feet & fingers (thank you chemo). Sigh. Seems like the ruptured tendon in my right arm is slowly getting a little better so I may avoid that surgery.

News of the day - it only got to 100 degrees, but my air conditioner went out around 5pm. The house is 83 degrees at 10pm, but no point in opening any windows since it's 88 outside & very humid. Promises to be a long night.

• carolehalston

Oh, no on the a/c, Minus. Nature provided our a/c last night. We had to get out the fleece blanket. Looks like our last few days in MN will be cooler than the hot Labor Day weekend.

Dinner was pork country ribs cooked in the slow cooker with my new favorite barbecue sauce, the Walmart original. Side was frozen green peas. Salad was repeat of sliced tomato and avocado, sweet onion on dh's salad. The NYT did a tasting test on barbecue sauces available in supermarkets and the Walmart's brand won. I tried it and like the compromise between sweet and tangy.

• minustwo

Thanks Carole - 85 is a bit uncomfortable for sleeping even with a fan, but you surely do understand. The BBQ sauce sounds like what is called in Houston "Carolina" sauce. That's my favorite with a bit of vinegar instead of mesquite.

AC finally got fixed by 1pm, but it took until 6pm to get the house down to 78 degrees. Of course it's 103 outside. Fall can't come soon enough for me - or at least some rain…

Just finished an old Scott Turrow book. "The Burden of Proof". I do like his writing. I set out "The Tempest" for re-reading next, but not sure I can deal with anything that serious in the heat. May just pick up an Ann Patchett or Elizabeth Berg. Or for real escape, maybe a Craig Johnson.

• eric95us

Glad you got the A/C fixed fairly quickly. When in Phoenix, a failing A/C was always a big "fear". The first week I retired, I got a new unit to replace the 32 year old one that was starting to have difficult to fix problems.

Dinner has been, of late, "not much". I got "something", then Sharon got it, then I got another "something" and Sharon got that one as well. It's been the same with our friends in Phoenix that we saw two weeks ago.

I'm feeling better and Sharon is starting to feel better.

• carolehalston

It was in the 40's this morning at 7 am when I got up. I turned on the heat pump. DH stayed in bed until about five minutes ago, almost 8 am. The forecast is for a high of about 70. No complaints here.

Minus, the barbecue sauce is both sweet and a bit vinegary. DH is a fan of the brown sugar variety and he likes this one, too.

I've also discovered a new fish breading that has been around for years in this area. Shore Lunch. I used the beer batter last night for frying some beautiful walleye fillets that were given to us. I cut the fillets into pieces and used an iron skillet on the burner of the outside gas grill. The fish was so tempting to the eye and tasted delicious. Our only side was leftover cheesy potatoes from the Labor Day potluck.

We have to attend a funeral visitation this afternoon. Two men friends have died this summer. During the morning and early afternoon we will continue to pack up for departure. The cargo trailer is now parked just outside and accessible.

• eric95us

…another sourdough day…..

• wallycat

Made some chicken with potatoes and green beans for last night; leftovers tonight.

Hope to get to the beach for fishing. It was a glorious 46 this morning; the house finally felt "normal" when it got to 63…aaahhhhh. Minus, you are my hero…that is just waaay too hot.

Carole, safe travels and I'm sorry about the funerals.

• minustwo

Carole: It doesn't look like anyone is active on the book thread, so I thought I'd post here for you. Not sure you'll have time to think about reading before your trip, but I really enjoyed this book. "The Bookshop of Yesterdays" by Amy Meyerson. Lots of 'insider' references to other books & plays & quotes. I miss hearing from VR about the NYC library lions.

Oh Wally - I'm so envious - 46!!! 105 here today with 113 heat index. I ran my errands before noon. Drought regulations only allow each house to water two days a week between 7pm and 5pm. That's sort of useless since I don't have automatic sprinklers.

Dunch (linner?) was potato salad - topped off by Cheetos (directly from the bag). Desert was 5 Royal canned cherries left over from last week's fruit salad. Certainly not turning on the oven. Bedtime treat is a shot glass of Baileys Irish Cream.

• carolehalston

Final day of getting ready to close up. Tomorrow we inject the "pink liquid" into the pipes, lock the door and leave.

Last night's dinner was lamb burgers without buns and a tasty skillet mixture of leftover brown rice and green peas.

DH is playing in a golf tournament this afternoon. There may be food afterward. I plan to cook some chicken thighs. The cleanup will be the final cleanup in the small galley. Tomorrow morning we will have some coffee but breakfast will be on the road.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 46

It’s so hot here today, we are going to a BBQ. I’ve made my favourite veggie BBQ dish: gnocchi kebabs! It’s so easy, basically it’s gnocchi and red peppers threaded on a skewer with basil pesto. Yum!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Minus, Carole and Clars, I'm here just inundated with moving- related things. Our October move can't come soon enough. So food has been a lot of using up freezer things and eating out. Chili from early spring was tasty the other night.

Clars I call gnocchi " little pillows of love." A favorite and I'll have to try yours!

Carole safe travels. I love your fish adventures. I'm not as creative in that area so appreciate new ideas.

Minus you still crack me up with your food combos. Love them! And bailey's....!

Have a good rest of the weekend all!

• wallycat

Last night I used up the leftover potatoes and green beans and added a side of scrambled eggs. Tonight will be "franks and beans" and I'm crossing fingers my beans get tender…ugh. May have kept them in the pantry too long. Added a pinch of baking soda; that should soften them up. Also roasting some cauliflower.

• chisandy
    edited September 2023

Well, it's been a sort of eventful week. After we got home from the Van Gogh exhibit and dinner at Joe's, I decided to finally unpack from Fox Valley. My iPad in its heavy keyboard case fell on my L foot—right on the bad (3d) toe. Elevated, iced, applied arnica—felt well enough to sleep as usual. Woke up Tues. morning to see it had turned black all around the nail (except for the callus, which had no blood vessels). And the toenail hurt to touch. Was able to get a podiatrist appt. for Friday.

Then a few bogus charges from Chipotle showed up on my AmEx (as "your card may not have been present"), and I went through the gauntlet with several different customer reps on the other side of the world. (Had to call several times, because each time a new charge showed up I was told to contact AmEx again—they promised to flag and deny those charges but they kept showing up as "approved." They promised to credit my account, and gave me a new card). Nobody in our family uses Chipotle since Leslie got food poisoning from one a couple of years ago. I'd never ordered online from them—and the last time I ate at a Chipotle—a decade ago—I paid in cash.

Tues. night, after my keratin treatment, I noticed Sun Wah BBQ was open so I popped in to take home half a Cantonese duck—I made a stir-fry (including the broccolini) to go with it. Wed.. night's dinner was the leftover steak bone from Joe's, supplemented with leftover duck and a salad. Thurs. night we went out to Big Jones—I had pickled okra, sneaked a little bit of Bob's gumbo ya-ya, split a bibb lettuce salad, and had the special "dinosaur bones" (beef ribs) with slaw and a side of greens. (Gave Bob the potato salad). Fri. night we split the ribs—only two, but huge. I sauteed the purple green beans and grilled a Japanese eggplant from Loyola's stand at the farmers' market. Bob had some of his leftover linguine Barese (sausage & peppers) from his lunch at Pompeii. I had the remaining beef rib, chopped tomato & basil, and half the leftover greens (gave him the cornbread croutons, which had been placed on the side since the mgr. knew my diet since his husband—the chef—is also on it).

The podiatrist appt. was an unpleasant surprise. The doc declared that not only did I suffer a severe contusion of that toe but that as a "crush injury" its distal phalange was likely fractured—but said that regardless of whether an X-ray would confirm it the treatment would be the same. No immobilization necessary—but here's the unpleasant part: the nail was loosening and beginning to bleed. In order to prevent infection, he had to remove the nail. (Ugh). So when I got home I didn't really want to go out that night or all the way to the SW Side for a colleague's memorial Mass & repast. Heidi's meal schedule would have to be thrown out of whack, and we wouldn't be there at noon (nor soon enough thereafter) to give her the thyroid-suppressant, which has to be given every 12 hours. He reluctantly agreed. The anesthetic had worn off enough that I couldn't sleep despite CBD, CBN and my half a Xanax—I got up and did puzzles and snacked till I felt sleepy enough.

Yesterday morning, only a couple of hours after I fell asleep, Bob shook me awake and asked me where we keep the COVID tests. Natch, I couldn't fall back asleep. He usually gets a sinus infection every September (due in part to a deviated septum), and he tested negative (we're hoping that's all it is). But he only went to the Mass—didn't feel well enough to hang out and eat Polish banquet food; and the only person there he knew was his colleague's widow. Everyone was weeping, which didn't do his mood any favors. At home, he took one of my Zyrtecs, which made him feel better; he had a slightly elevated temp that wasn't a fever. I made him sleep in the guest room last night.

He's still stuffy (sounds like he usually does when he has this sinusitis—not at all like he did the two times he had COVID) but otherwise felt fine enough to go to work. He's bringing home wings tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that he either doesn't need to re-test or continues to improve. I've been masking everywhere to keep from catching COVID again so I can get the new shot when it comes out this week, rather than having to wait 3 months. I feel sorry for him having sinusitis, but if he tests positive from COVID I admit I'd be livid—except when one-on-one with patients he's stopped masking.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Dinner tonight was magical. We took a great friend out to A Taste of Texas for his birthday. I got the baked Brie, which is one of the 10 best things I’ve ever eaten and the tenderloin medallions, it was a perfect meal. Now back to the hotel and up early for scans tomorrow.

• minustwo

Mae - Taste of Texas is reliably good. Hope the scans go well tomorrow.

Reader - sorry I forgot where you are moving in October. Can you share again?

Linner was gouda cheese slices and 6 pieces of warm baguette w/butter.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Minus, we are moving to the NC coast where the weather is warmer and we'll be near more family 💕⛱️

• chisandy
    edited September 2023

Brunch was a tomato-basil frittata. I was able to "rescue" two large and one small tomato that had begun to ripen, in order to foil the squirrels. I have enough on the sill now to get us into October.

Went on a WTTW (PBS) donor lakefront cruise tonight with Chicago historian/TV host Geoffrey Baer as docent. Because of rain, there was a chance it'd have had to be just a river cruise instead, but the lake wasn't choppy so we did cruise around the downtown lakefront before heading back through the locks into the Chicago River's south branch and back. I was able to make it down the 3 flights of stairs to the dock, albeit slowly. Climbing back up was much easier. My foot did fine.

The cruise included a box dinner—I chose chipotle-rubbed flank steak over arugula, with black beans & rice and a mango-jicama salad. Dessert was a huge chocolate chip cookie—which was a highly worthwhile carb cheat. I brought home the cookie, arugula & salad dressing.

Intermittent drizzle stopped for most of the cruise, and held off just long enough for me to get my car. As soon as I turned on to Michigan Ave., the heavens opened. Glad I had not just a hooded rain jacket (my 25-yr-old REI standby) but also an umbrella stashed in the car, which came in handy when I got home and had to walk from the garage in a downpour.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 46

Reader - little pillows of love! So cute! 🩷

Tonight we had chipolatas with home-grown beetroot (they were yellow and white beets!), onion, garlic and cavolo nero.

Have soooo many beetroots to use up. Thinking of pickling some!

• minustwo

Ah Reader - I am so jealous. I've only been to inland NC (think Raleigh/Durham). The Outer Banks is definitely on my bucket list.

I had a long Zoom meeting this evening with 3 hours of prep this afternoon. So dinner was simply cold, thin sliced pieces of a strip steak I cooked earlier & froze. Thinking about either a chocolate mousse or some bourbon with Chamboard.

• carolehalston

Baked brie… I haven't had that in such a long time. So creamy and delicious.

I got some vicarious enjoyment out of all the meals described.

Dinner on Sunday night and Monday night was Kickback buffet at Drury Inns. Nothing healthy but filling and easy. Sunday night was baked potato with "spread" and sour cream. Two hotdogs, no buns, with chili that was quite tasty. Monday night was mashed potatoes that tasted like mashed potatoes with little meatballs and brown gravy. A hotdog with bun. Both nights we used our three alcoholic beverages for a gin (dh) martini and a vodka (me) martini.

We arrived home yesterday about 2:30 yesterday. Last night I felt pretty good and cooked a pasta dinner with Rao's and linguine and ground beef that traveled in the food cooler.

This morning I've been nominated to venture to Winn Dixie and buy basic groceries. My effort to nominate dh failed.

It's good to be home. Next Thursday (I think) we'll be leaving again on our Ireland/Scotland trip.