Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 46

I had creamed corn for the first time ever today! It’s not common here in the UK. Served it with crispy kidney beans and a jalapeño salsa. So good!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Hugs for your DD, Special, and hope they can get to the bottom of what’s causing her pain. I hear you about having to cook—that’s a huge problem for me with timeshares. At least in Vegas there are restaurants.

Yesterday’s & today’s breakfasts were dinner leftovers. Had a snack of a sample of pumpkin spice cold brew and a tiny piece of coffee cake at the HGV owners’ reception at Starbucks. Last night had an early dinner at RPM Italian (took us an hour of walking around Caesar’s to find it). We shared a mixed greens/antipasto salad, then the prosciutto appetizer (huge, and no pricier than what we pay for prosciutto in the supermarket) with more antipasto (olives, cheeses, grissini, peppers). Bob’s entree was lobster fra diavolo with spaghettini arrabiatta; mine was spaghetti cacio e pepe. No dessert—we were full.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Special, hoping it's nothing major for DD.

We are in St Ignace, MI (upper peninsula) We stayed an extra day to cook/relax and will continue on tomorrow…following US Hwy 2 to Montana before heading south to go home.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Today is DH’s birthday, so I made surf n turf. Unfortunately I overcooked the too thin steaks but it was still good.

• chisandy

Eric, before leaving the U.P., or as my friends up there call it, “da Yoop,” hope you got to try the local specialty: Cornish “pasties” (basically UK version of empanadas, only big enough for a meal). It’s iron & copper-mining country up there, and the miners were mostly Cornish (with Finns thrown in). Instead of cold sandwiches during those brutal Yooper winters, the miners packed those hot turnovers. There’s a joke up there: “What’s the one indispensable ingredient in a pasty? Leftovers.”

Dinner was at Jose Andres’ restaurant Jaleo (we’ve been to the one in Chicago twice, but only for the simple tapas “tour of Spain” tasting or paella. This time we sprung for the “Jose’s Way” mega-tasting of dishes he either invented or adapted from his mentor Ferran Adria. Started with micro-mini “ice cream cones” of tuna tartare topped with whipped avocado. Next were his signature “liquid olives” created by Adria, a pioneer of molecular gastronomy (he could tell you how they’re made but then he’d have to kill you). They look like olives, but pop in the mouth with an explosion of olive-ness. Then came a tuna-potato salad topped with trout roe. Next was pan cristal con tomate (the bread is imported from Spain, toasted and topped by scraping a raw tomato over it). It accompanied Jamon Iberico (ham from acorn-fed black-hooved pigs) with housemade tiny torpedo-shaped crackers. The meat course was carne asada and pimientos atop romesco sauce. Followed by goat-cheese-stuffed piquillo peppers with more romesco. Last savory course was head-on shrimp poached in butter, olive oil & garlic. Two desserts: flan, and a torte of caramel and quince jam in a cookie crust, with gelato and “caramel cookie dust” on the side.

After that, I can go back to dead animals & leaves for the foreseeable future.

• eric95us

On rhe way west, we stopped and got some pasties. I'm not sure about the "Cornish" part. Mine had beef and onion in it, while Sharon got a "Traverse City Cherry" one.

We're now in Ashland, WI at a city run RV park.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401
    edited October 2023

two nights ago, pink salmon (my catch), broccoli and red rice.

Rooted around last night; made a trip to Sequim. My first time filling the car with gas in 30 years. DH has always been "the car guy"…ugh…and I did all the driving.

Tonight will be leftovers of the salmon/rice and I'll shred some onion, carrots and cabbage. Maybe top it with a poached egg.

I was super excited…Costco had Baramundi!!!!!!! And their Kirkland Cotes de Rhone 2022 is in.

Special, I am so sorry about your DDs pain. DH was poo-pooed about his gum/mouth pain until we insisted on a head MRI. Sure enough, a vessel pressing on his Trigeminal Nerve. He is miserable. We await what the course of treatment will be.

We head back to Seattle on Monday for treatment 4 of the Pluvicto. DREAD. I don't see well at night and may be driving us home. Two more treatments after this. It's been a rough road. And I miss my dead cat. And my husband as I remember him. Getting old and sick, blah, blah, blah….Not easy.

What are crispy kidney beans?? That sounds delicious!!!'

Illimae, happy B-day to your DH!

• eric95us

Tonight we are at Itaska Lake State Park….and tomorrow we're going to the Ronald Regan Minuteman (ICBM) museum, which is about 3 hours west of the state park.

• illimae

Big salad tonight.

Tomorrow will be pepperoni mini bagel pizzas and a side salad.

• eric95us

I see that I misspelled Itasca…oops.. :-)

We had hot dogs and "camper made" pasta for last night's dinner.

• eric95us

Tonight we are in Cooperstown, ND. Tomorrow we're going to a Minuteman ICBM site that is now a museum.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Eric - what is 'camper made' pasta? We had an interesting visit to a Nike Missile site last time I was in CA. I got to pull the missile into position on the "elevator" to be lifted up for activation.

Mae - I love mini pizzas, but I keep forgetting to pick up the Naan Rounds that I usually use.

Wally - I'll have to check my Costco for the Cote de Rhone.

Clars - I second the question. What are crispy kidney beans?

Today was the memorial service for the husband of a dear friend today. He donated his body to the medical school, so it was really a celebration of life. And it surely was that. Fruit & cheese trays, vegetable trays, trays of small sandwiches, brownies, cookies, beer AND wine. Two glasses of a lovely Cabernet wine in the middle of the afternoon induced a great nap when I got home.

• eric95us

Homemade, but since we're in the camper. The pasta was store bought, but the rest was prepared in the camper.

• wallycat

Frozen burger, sweet potato and leftover bok choy

• eric95us

We had pizza tonight here in Cooperstown, ND. The ICBM launch control center tour was great.

I recognized most of the communications and electronics stuff in the facility.

If anyone is in the area, we recommend it.

There is a nearby silo, but it is filled with concrete so all that was visible was the ground level stuff.

• minustwo

Today was a large salad & sourdough bread. Alas, not homemade. I buy the Essential Baking package of 3 cryopacked loaves from Costco. 4 ingredients, no preservatives, organic, non GMO, bakes in 12 minutes. At least it's freshly baked and better than most store loaves.

• eric95us

Wlliston, ND tonight…staying in an rv park catering mostly to oil field workers….

Spaghetti tonight after the laundry is finished.

• illimae

Ate like a kid tonight, hot hogs with sour cream & onion chips.

Not sure about the rest of this week, time to check the freezer.

• minustwo

Fresh asparagus sauteed in EVOO & garlic served with an omlette with muenster cheese. While I was standing there I sliced up some cucumbers & onions in sour cream with dill. Also boiled some eggs for egg salad. Lot of asparagus left & I have fresh mushrooms & spinach, so I'll probably do a stir fry tomorrow. Now I'm eating the final pieces of last years Candy Corn since there will be a new 'crop' for Halloween.

Mae - I bought hot dogs last week but forgot to buy buns. Hot dogs & bread just isn't the same.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

We're back from the Highlights of Ireland and Scotland trip. The food definitely wasn't of the highlight variety. We had Irish stew on a few occasions and it was good but a lot like the beef stew we cook here. Once the meat was lamb, not beef. I did enjoy the fish and chips in various pubs. The fish was always a single piece fried in beer batter, not small pieces as I had expected. The chips were always french fries and were good and mashed green peas was always on the plate. In Scotland we had haggis several times and I liked it well enough to eat it when it was served as part of a meal. It's a dark brown sort of hash. Soda bread was served daily wherever we went. A favorite lunch meal was soup and bread with butter. The vegetable soups were always blended and quite tasty.

I'm sure there is excellent food served in Dublin and Edinburgh and the other cities and towns we visited but the meals we were served as a part of the tour were mediocre and the wine was low quality. I did sample Guinness and enjoyed some glasses of Jameson's at our own expense. On the island of Sky, I had a local whisky that was good. We visited a whisky distillery in Glasgow and I liked its whisky.

The buffet breakfasts in the hotels offered the English breakfast which included baked beans, grilled tomatoes, pork sausages and a version of bacon that is very much like ham. Eggs, fried and scrambled. Also a variety of cereals, fruit and yogurt, breads and juices. Once the foods included pancakes and once make your own waffle. I'm not an early breakfast person but ate to stave off hunger.

It's good to be home. I stocked up on meats, vegetables and fruit today. I plan to make a large fruit salad to have in the refrigerator for lunches and snacks. Also chicken salad as a lunch possibility. The wicked bathroom scale told me in no uncertain terms that I have to tailor my eating for some weight loss. That means doing some food prep for easy healthy eating.

• wallycat

Yesterday was our hell trip to Seattle (I posted that on the drinking board); dinner was 1/2 can of Campbell's beef and barley soup.

Today was the leftover Saag "Paneer" with enough for tomorrow.

• illimae

We had Angel hair with Roa’s marinara and a hunk of French baguette, it was so good. Chicken or steak tomorrow, not sure which yet.

• eric95us
    edited October 2023

Zortman,MT tonight.

Adding… We ate at a restaurant. Sharon had shrimp and I had salmon.

• chisandy

Fri. I skipped dinner, as I had to drive up to Madison to do a concert. It was so chilly I actually wore gloves (that weren't disposables). A highlight of the trip home was gas at $3.35/gal., just inside IL in South Beloit. First trip I've taken where gas was cheaper in IL than in WI. Grabbed a couple of protein bars when I got home Sat. night we went to a local wine bar restaurant called Uvae. Shared fried artichokes—alas, not Roman-style; roasted marinated carrots; lobster cakes and seared scallops. Sun. night I brought home a couple of London broil meals (entree + 2 sides) from Whole Foods; but Bob had eaten at the hospital. So I had half the meat, green beans and mushrooms from one of the meals; Bob came down late at night and nibbled the other half. Last night he went out for calamari after work and brought home a deep-dish pizza. We split the other Whole Foods meal plus tomatoes and leftover carrots. For lunch today I had one slice of the pizza—with extra mozzarella and tomatoes so there was enough of it I could eat and still leave the crust. For dinner, Bob had the other 5 slices (!!!) while I had wings & celery sticks and a small tuna sandwich.

Did my Hooked on Fish run today but didn't feel like cooking (bad decision, as this would have been the last clear dry night for grilling for at least a week). Tomorrow I will make either whitefish or swordfish (think I'll do half & half, as Bob likes swordfish but I don't). One of the things I bought was parcooked Roman artichokes, which I'll dry, flatten and air-fry (may have to cheat with a little flour & baking soda for crispness).

• carolehalston

We had speckled butterbeans (frozen) cooked with diced pickled pork and spooned over brown rice. Side was steamed veggies, cauliflower, broccoli and tiny carrots. We both had such small portions of the beans and rice that there are leftovers. DH's weight is down and I suspect he wants to continue the downward trend. It would be good for his knees and hip joints to take off more weight.

Tonight might be a taco salad minus the taco shell with some of the rotisserie chicken I bought yesterday at Sam's for making chicken salad.

Breakfast for me will be Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries and raspberries .

• minustwo

Carole - Welcome home. Loved hearing about your travels.

Oh my goodness Eric…a restaurant??

Mae - I see Raos and Trader Joe's flame broiled meatballs in my near future.

Wally - you are in my thoughts during the harrowing Seattle trips. Can't remember - is this the last treatment for DH?

Brunch was a large bowl of fresh raspberries with heavy cream. Dinner was a large salad starting with a bag of Dole cabbage Sunflower Crunch salad and adding spinach, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, etc. Tomorrow will be leftovers - egg salad, cucumbers in sour cream with dill, and something with the rest of the spinach.

Midnight & I can't sleep. Just finished Julian Barnes. Recently discovered "The Only Story" and then had to go back & read "The Sense of an Ending". I'm really hooked on the library warehouse/overstock sales the first of each month. Paperbacks $1.00; Hardback $2.00. I come out with two bags full of books for $20. I'm having fun picking up authors I don't know well or maybe only heard about, in addition to old favorites. Just poured a small dram of Bailey's Irish Cream and starting on a Joyce Carol Oates book - writing as Rosamond Smith. I had no idea she had written books under a nom de plume.

• carolehalston

Minus, I didn't know that about Joyce Carol Oates either. I just finished a novel by Tana French called In the Woods. It just happened to be set in Dublin. I finished reading it on the flight from Edinburgh to DC and the hours melted away. It was one of those fiction books that stayed in my mind afterwards. Woods lives in Ireland. I will read more of her books.

I'm so impressed with your varied meals that manage to be healthy and indulgent at the same time.

Our taco salad turned out too large last night. Neither of us could eat it all.

DH wants ribs tonight. Sides will be butternut squash—I actually went for a package of the pre-cut. Maybe another veggie or small salad, too. I would like to limit my consumption of fatty pork without mentioning that goal to dh. LOL.

• eric95us

Last night was in Pray, MT, right along the Yellowstone River and about 40 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.

Dinner was leftover rice and a spicy marinated tofu-mixed vegetable mixture.

There is a winter storm warning-travel advisory in effect for this area, so we need to be careful. So far it has been a warm type of storm with rain but no ice or snow problems.

The truck is 4 wheel drive, so we can get stuck farther from help. :-)

• wallycat
    edited October 2023

Carole, I've read all of French's books…she has a pattern, but she is very good and I, who read slowly, whip through her books.

Minus, thank you for the empathy. DH has 2 more treatments if his labs look good enough. He'll redo them in a few weeks. I hope he survives the treatment. Ugh.

Last of the Saag paneer last night. I may make a frittata tonight.

• chisandy

Crossed wires for dinner again (sigh). Bob got home early (5-ish) and I needed a nap (having had an early lab appt after a nearly-sleepless night. Came back down around 6:30 and was on the computer up front. Around 7:15 I noticed the odor of reheated canned soup: rather than come up front and asking if I'd cook, he took a can of Chunky Soup, poured it into the first bowl he could find (my glass mixing bowl—he uses the wrong utensils for everything), nuked it and then ate it (with an iced-tea spoon) sitting on a barstool at the counter in front of the microwave (like the med student he used to be, who needed to eat wherever and whenever the opportunity arose). I asked why he didn't at least carry it to the table and he replied it was too hot to hold. I showed him that the rim was cool, and he could have used a kitchen towel. I swear, this stuff and other practical life-hacks don't seem to occur to men who've never lived on their own, fending for themselves. (I'm beginning to understand why Gordy wanted his own place before moving in with Leslie: he saw the consequences of not having independent living skills). Bob & I went to a college with no dorms so we commuted by transit and lived with our respective parents. Difference was, my mom taught me how to do stuff. His didn't.

It was 7:30 and I offered to cook an actual dinner (I'd made him a large trad. brunch—3 of everything). He replied it was too late, because he didn't want to eat on a full stomach since he needed to turn in early for the morning-person work schedule he's had to adopt. Fair enough—I nuked myself a couple of marinated Roman artichokes (no way they'd air-fry), added a couple of slices of charcuterie and a piece of smoked string cheese I bought at the gas station. (Did he turn in early? Try 1am).