Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

Dental care is expensive here, too. And dh will probably be getting an implant.

He made potato/leek soup for dinner. We haven't finished the lentil soup. I will probably freeze it. Truth be told, I wasn't gung ho on another heavy soup but laziness won out. I will make a salad and go light on the soup.

Wally would hate our temperature today, 70's and horribly humid. Also torrential rain with more to come. I wish someone would appease Mother Nature. I managed a trip to the gym before the heavy rain started and turned on the a/c in the car.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

I just finished three months of dental work: a root canal, three crowns and a bridge anchored by another two crowns. Apparently I didn’t realize I had developed dry mouth since it happened so gradually. A vacation in Europe would have been a lot more fun.

We had snow last night and freezing rain tonight. The roads will be a mess tomorrow.

Wallycat, I’m sorry your neighbor continues to be a PIA. Home is supposed to be where you can relax.

Dinner tonight was a strip steak grilled on the stovetop, baked butternut squash and onion rings for DH. At least I could chew the steak.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Wally - sorry about the dentist. I'd rather have an arm amputated than go to the dentist. I had an extraction in March for a tooth that broke off & prep for an implant. STILL waiting for the OK that the bone has grown strong enough about the abutment. Of course it doesn't help that I'm on Prolia. Next review on 2/1. And I hear you about your neighbor. I really don't often think bad thoughts about people, but…..

Maggie - oh my, the dry mouth - especially at night. Try Biotin. Mints or gum work OK during the day. Unfortunately the toothpaste isn't enough for me, but I keep a small spray bottle on my night table.

Carole - like I posted on another thread - we're with you. 6" of rain in the last 3 days and everything is soaking - AND humid.

Played Chickenfoot with some friends today. I took a Spinach/Artichoke quiche & relish trays & a molded salad. One of the ladies said it was a "watergate" salad. Well similar but not exactly. My recipe came from my Mom in the 1950s. Someone else brought home cooked chicken & dumplings (we're in the South here). We had a deviled eggs, a cherry pie & Fritos and cherry chocolates… The hostess had a delicious "pecan" coffee - I need to find out more. The food happened at noon and I'm still so stuffed I can't possibly go to bed yet.

Interesting history. One of our neighbors, since deceased, insisted that we get a group to play dominoes when I was going through chemo. Honestly - with no hair & exhausted & nausea & diarrhea, etc - I would have never left my house - except she insisted. We played steadily a couple of times a month until she died in 2017. Then a year after she died, her husband called and said "I really miss hearing your girls laughing. Can you get a group together to come play at our house?" Well, now he's gone too so we haven't played in 2 years. Some people said they didn't have the heart to play w/o these two neighbors, but others of us decided to try to resurrect the games. Since it's a mid day event, it's only retired people - but we had fun with one new person & more to come.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Carole, 70 is indeed something I would not like…especially in January!

Minus, DH was on Prolia (Denosumab) every month for 4-1/2 years…it is the reason he has jaw necrosis and is having all the nasty infection, blah, blah. Mine was just a simple cleaning and xrays but OY on the $$$.

I made beef heart stir fry tonight. Incredibly delicious. Heart tastes like tenderloin to me. So tender and flavorful but you need to get past the "ick" factor, LOL. That heart was very large so I used half and will figure out what to do with the other half; maybe pan fried with mashed potatoes.

• carolehalston

The leek/potato soup was the best I've ever had. I enjoyed it and am glad for leftovers.

The rain is holding off this morning. If the respite continues, I'll drive about 30 minutes to my hair appointment. Our rain gauge isn't full. It looks like we got about 4 inches of rain yesterday.

Wally, you remind me of myself many years ago when I cooked beef heart and tongue. I even tried kidneys but once was enough. The tongue was actually very good for sandwiches. I cooked it in an old-fashioned pressure cooker on the stove top.

Not sure about dinner tonight.

• wallycat

Tongue sandwiches are THE BEST!!!

Stay safe, everyone, in your respective weather patterns. We are having the ugly, nasty winds again because of the warm up.

• minustwo

Oh my… the sun is out. I'd almost forgotten what it look like. Still wading through puddles, but it's supposed to be 73 today.

Wally - sorry to hear the Prolia caused osteonecrosis of the jaw for your DH. I've tried to be super careful not to have any dental work done within 6 months of the shot. I've been told it's particularly risky to have an extraction on the bottom jaw in in the back.

Meatloaf for dinner. It will have to be mid-day since I'm meeting a friend for drinks for her birthday this evening. But that's fine since I prefer meatloaf the 2nd day for sandwiches anyway.

Jazzy - I saw the picture of your banana bread with chocolate chips on another thread. YUM

• maggie15

Carole and Wallycat, I also love tongue sandwiches.

Minus, Thanks for the tip on the spray bottle at night. I now use Biotine and lozenges during the day but decay is certainly likely to occur overnight. I hadn't realized that dry mouth is a SE of certain meds and hazardous to your dental health (and pocketbook!)

Tonight was DH's turn for chicken soup; he picked up a norovirus when we went out to vote. I had the leftover steak.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Sometimes medical insurance will pay for dental work if the "root cause" of the dental problems were the result of covered medical treatments, or the result of common side effects of covered medical treatments.

Back in the early 2000s, mom succeeded, twice, in this endeavor and I was able to do this in 2010.

Things might have changed since then, but it might be worth checking….

• minustwo

Meatloaf didn't happen - but it is completely ready for the oven & sitting in the pan in the fridge. Tomorrow. Ended up eating leftover spinach/artichoke quiche and lime jello salad w/avocados. My friend with the birthday brought me a Nothing Bundt Cakes mini carrot cake so I'll indulge in that

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 942

Thank you for the well wishes - Maggie and Wally. Not a relapse....it's covid. Ugh. It is acting exactly like when I had it last time. Like the flu, not as bad as it could be. Just rearranges my schedule (small problems).

DH remains well so grilled cheese and tomato soup last night and (my) reheated beef stew tonight. Hoping I turn the corner tomorrow.

Ughhh on everyone's dental work. I hate it and also have dry mouth. Dentist gave me a prescription fluoride toothpaste ( $14.00 worth of insurance says he) and recommended Therabreath - I use the lozenges and just bought the mouthwash.

• carolehalston

Reader, glad that you're not horribly ill with the Covid.

We had oven barbecued chicken legs last night. I made the barbecue sauce. The side was baked sweet potatoes. We both enjoyed the meal.

• maggie15

Eric, Thanks for the advice. I'll submit the dental work to my retiree supplemental insurance; it's worth a shot. When I had osteomyelitis in my mandible insurance covered the extraction to uncover the bone for treatment but not the bridge I needed afterward. My pulmonologist told me that there is movement underway to cover the adverse effects of diseases/meds that cause dry mouth but no action yet.

Minus, Carrot cake trumps meatloaf in my world.

Reader, I was just prescribed that toothpaste. If it cuts down on the dental work the expense is worth it.

Tonight I'm making tuna casserole since that is what DH decided he could eat. I'll have canned tuna with diced dill pickles and salad.

• eric95us

Mom (and I) had to assemble paperwork from the doctor stating that the treatment was medically necessary (medical necessity was easy since the medical insurance had already paid) and detailing the specific SEs that could cause dental problems. The dentist had to prepare paperwork that the dental problems were as a result of the medical SEs. It took some "arguing", but it turned out to be worthwhile.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

minus - i wonder if the pecan coffee you had is the HEB Texas Pecan I have written about before on this thread? Also, funny that you had a Nothing Bundt Cakes carrot flavor - I just got one too when I went in to get a gluten free lemon raspberry one that is a new offering. Great minds…

Dinner tonight was popcorn while watching a movie.

reader - hope you have a mild go with Covid, ugh. DD and beau also have it - DD is a couple of days behind her beau, he feels fine now. I was a little worried about her since she just had the sinus surgery. She said other than sneezing a lot, which is uncomfortable for her, she's ok.

• carolehalston

We finished up the potato/leek soup and had a tossed salad with favorite ingredients. Yum.

For dinner I'm leaning toward fajitas made with ribeye. Home-made corn tortillas are in the freezer.

It rained a lot more during the night. Some thunder but no lightning. Background noise for sleeping.

This talk of Covid makes me nervous.

• minustwo

Special - great minds indeed. I love the lemon/raspberry. And popcorn is one of my favorite dinners.

Carole - we got another 3/4" rain too. I'm holding off on cleaning up all the mushy, black results of the recent freeze. Sad to see all that bit the dust even covered with blankets & boxes.

Finally had the meatloaf last night. Served with frozen broccoli and pre-cooked pasta from the freezer. So sandwiches today. Or maybe more leftover quiche?

Going to a mid-afternoon little theater production tomorrow. My friend Helen wants to have appetizers afterwards - specifically onion rings.

• eric95us

Reader, glad to hear the Covid is mild for you.

Earlier in the week the area was treated to some rain, some snow and some graupel. Today, we are cleaning up the mud that we (Sharon, myself and the dog) have tracked into the area around the door. In the summer, I take my shoes off outside and come in the house in my bare feet. Standing in my bare feet in the snow…..we'll clean the mud. :-)

Yesterday we were in Show Low, doing some shopping for MIL and we ended up being there around 4pm. After skipping lunch, we were hungry and ate at a Mexican food place. I'm still full. :-)

• maggie15

Eric, I really miss Mexican food. What is considered good here doesn't come close to the real thing.

Minus, Appetizers make the best dinners since there is so much variety.

Carole, Covid is rampant here. Hopefully it won't affect me since I live like it's lockdown thanks to my RIPF lungs.

Dinner tonight was shepherd's pie made with ground lamb.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Leftover split pea soup tonight.

Seared tenderloin tomorrow with mixed veggies and a baked potato.

Traveling to AZ on Thursday and Friday, so definitely getting some Filiberto’s!

• carolehalston

The fajitas meal last night was scrumptious. Ribeye is the way to go for beef fajitas. I sliced it raw and sauteed it with the sliced red onions and orange bell peppers. Other components: a chunky homemade guacamole, sour cream, canned refried beans, corn tortillas I made a few weeks ago and froze the extras. The texture was still good after freezing.

Tonight will be pork chops and rice.

I'll look up Filiberto's.

I'm baking a loaf of whole grain bread today. Have used up most of my Einkorn flour, white and whole wheat, but Fresh Market has both according to info online. Previously, I ordered from Amazon.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited January 28

Birthday dinner at Mon Ami Gabi was lovely. Managed to enjoy it even with a much lower appetite. App was 6 raw oysters (PEI), nothing but lemon. (Bob had escargot, but I figured all that butter sauce would be too greasy). We split a Little Gem salad. His entree was an app-sized bucket of mussels and we shared the night's special cassoulet. (I've had better—too much "gratin" & sauce, not enough sausage & beans. Duck confit was great). I had about 1/3 of it, and we killed off the leftovers over the next few days. Had perused the dessert menu—I wanted mousse to share, he wanted mango sorbet, but I felt that it was too chilly out for sorbet. Before we could order, along came a small profiterole with a candle on top. We split it (I had about 1/3, which was plenty.

Wed. night I made striped bass with Brussels sprouts (and brown basmati rice, of which he ate the whole bag). Thurs., defrosted Copper River salmon with sauteed snap peas—he added quinoa. He had bought a small ham from Costco for New Year's, so I sliced up some of it and made him a big sandwich on bakery rye for his lunch. Fri. he brought home a Costco chicken, which I broke down right away to keep the huge container from taking over half the fridge. He had a breast, I a leg & one of the "oysters" from the thigh. Made the last of the Brussels sprouts and a mixed green salad. Last night, more chicken and a small snow pea-mushroom stir-fry (no sauce), which I actually enjoyed more than the chicken itself.

Having an easier time intermittent-fasting. Still enjoying my food, only smaller portions and less often. My mouth still waters at the aromas & sounds of cooking. Made a 2-egg veggie/mozz. frittata for brunch today. Might actually have a keto protein shake (hope the caramel flavor is palatable) to make sure I get as much protein and as many calories as I should. Perhaps even a small bowl of Cheerios with a couple of spoons of raisins (not enough to spike my insulin nor make me too much of a "regular gal"). Friday was shot #2—a week in, and I'm down 11 lbs. Decided to wait a week to weigh in again lest ups & downs drive me nuts. Side effects are inadvisability to "trust a fart" (TMI) and getting lost down the Reddit rabbit hole of the Zepbound forums.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Happy belated birthday Sandy 🎉

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,896

Happy birthday Sandy!

Meals have been pretty pedestrian here - spaghetti and meatballs, cheese and onion omelets, stuffed peppers from the freezer. Tonight is franks and beans, something I haven't had since I was a kid. I had to look up a recipe lol.

The sun is due to shine tomorrow after eight straight days without. Can't wait.

• maggie15

Illimae, Filiberto's qualifies as good Mexican food.

Carole, The description of your fajitas made my mouth water. I'll have to do a workaround to eliminate the beans for DH but I am inspired to make something similar.

Sandy, Happy birthday! It sounds like the Zepbound is having the desired effect while still letting you enjoy some tasty meals.

Right now we are getting a "wintry mix" (in plain English a mess to shovel) overnight. Dinner was chicken breasts in lemon cream sauce, sautéed squash and mashed potatoes.

• wallycat

Happy b-day, Sandy.

We hit 62 and I'm ready for the cool down, such as that is out here.

Made gigante beans with spinach and mahi mahi for tonight (and tomorrow's leftovers).

I'll spare you the neighbor saga. The 3-year-olds I never wanted!

• minustwo

I went to a little theater volunteer production this afternoon with a friend and then we ate pulled pork at a local BBQ place that's Carolina style. I'm not big on the heavy Texas mesquite style. She had raved about their onion rings. Edible but I prefer the thin, curly variety instead of 3" diameter & 2" wide with only paper thin onion inside the batter.

Nance - chuckling at looking up franks & beans. When I was a kid, one of my favorites was "Beenie Weenies". Obviously not the same quality as home made, but there's still always a can in my pantry for emergencies.

• carolehalston
    edited January 29

Another belated Happy Birthday, Sandy. Wishing you continued success with your weight loss and maintenance.

Wieners and canned baked beans is a MN meal for us. The easy preparation is to cook the wieners in the beans. I'm not a huge fan of baked beans but definitely a fan of easy, especially when dh is happy with the result. I usually make a coleslaw as a side with hand slivered cabbage.

Drawing a blank on a menu for tonight. Fortunately there's time for deciding.

Wally, you obviously like gigante beans since you cook them with some frequency. How do you season them? Onions and garlic?

• carolehalston

I looked up Gigante beans and, much to my surprise—I don't know why, they're white beans. I had envisioned them as brown. They're popular in Greek cuisine and commonly cooked with greens. I like white navy, great northern and canneloni beans so I would probably like gigante, too. I'll look for them at Fresh Market and Whole Foods.

Maggie, maybe you could substitute corn for the refried beans?

• wallycat

I do love the gigante, but I love every bean. I'd say they translate to butter beans or huge lima beans. I bought a bunch of them from Rancho Gordo when they weren't quite this expensive (so I am not buying more there). This go'round, I put them in a crockpot with a little salt and onion powder and let them cook overnight. These take longer than usual…older beans and HUGE. Turned out beautifully. I used some tomato paste, nam pla (fish sauce), oregano and garlic added to chicken broth and frozen spinach; then I added the beans…cooked it all through well, put the fish on top, covered and cooked for 8 minutes. Perfection.