Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

The weather forecast says to expect snow, and 70mph (110kmh) winds……sounds like "fun".

Dinner has been, lately, not as high a priority as it should be because of getting ready for MIL's impending move. Tuesday will be her move day to a better assisted living place. She (and us) are like 6 year old kids the day before Christmas. :-)

It's not that the old place was "bad", but rather it wasn't really suited for her. At the old place, she was one of three mentally able people mixed in with thirty memory care people and it was as if three 14 year olds were mixed in with 30 kindergartners that had been drinking energy drinks.

The new place has 40 assisted living folks in one wing and about 20 memory care folks in another wing. So, it should be a lot better for MIL.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Stay safe, Eric and good luck with the move.

Our snow is now listed to be zero inches. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

I'm making mahi mahi…no idea what I'll do with it yet. It is not my favorite fish but wanted to try something new. If anyone has a recipe they love, feel free to put it out here.

All those facing weather issues, I hope you stay safe.

• eric95us

Wally. Here's a snow picture. Even though it is from 2022, I thought you might appreciate it. :-)

This was about an hour's drive from home.

In the middle of the picture is a state snowblower truck that got stuck (!) working to clear an Arizona state highway after one particularly strong storm. For what it's worth…that's not a snow drift………..

The picture was taken from a Snowcat on its way back out to the truck.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

That is serious snow. Good luck with MIL's move. The new place definitely sounds better for her.

I don't have a recipe for mahi mahi but have enjoyed it in restaurants.

I'm thawing chicken breasts, which neither of us likes as well as thighs. It's probably a hangover from my WW years that I continue to buy breasts. I looked up mayo chicken and plan to make one of the recipes. Coat with mayo and then cover with grated cheese mixed with bread crumbs and herbs. Cook in oven at 425. Our side will be steamed broccoli. We're not crazy about broccoli either. LOL. The theme of this meal is cook foods you don't especially like. But are relatively easy.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Wallycat, I don’t have a mahi mahi recipe either but I love it “blackened”. I think I found recipe for it long ago and made a batch of the blackening spice mix, now I just use the mix whenever I feel like it.

Soft tacos tonight. Chemo tomorrow, so it’ll be whatever I pick up on the way home from El Paso.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,896

Hello all! My New Year's resolution was to do better about posting. You can see that I'm already failing miserably.

There have been meals, if unremarkable. We've had chicken and dumplings, a ham and spinach quiche, eggplant Parmesan and others too boring to remember. I'm enjoying reading about all of your meals much more than planning and preparing my own. Keep those pictures coming.

I love broccoli - DH not so much My portion usually looks like a fourth of a head of broccoli while his is three tiny sprigs lol. Potatoes are his favorite and we have them often.

Sandy, your plate is way too full. Hope things settled down for you soon. Here's a hug for encouragement (((Sandy)))

Special - wow scary avalanche story about your kids. Glad that one turned out ok.

Wally - you crack me up with your cold weather wishes. I would gladly send you all of ours. The high here Monday is supposed to be 4° with more snow on the way. Ugh.

Minus - I'm so glad you heard from Lacy and that all is well with them I really miss her here.

Eric - good luck with the move it's hard to find the right place sometimes. It took us three tries with my dad before we foundi the right one.

Tonight's offering is chicken enchiladas using the leftover chicken from the aforementioned chicken and dumplings. I think the side will be seasoned pinto beans or possibly Mexican rice if I can work up the enthusiasm to make it.

For all of you experiencing bad and scary weather please stay safe!

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

Eric, That is quite the snow photo. Hopefully the roads will be better during your MIL's move.

Wallycat, What did you decide to do with the mahi mahi? I always think it should be cooked Hawaiian style but so many of those recipes are sickeningly sweet.

I love broccoli but DH won't eat it. I sometimes make a serving for myself.

Tonight's dinner was Italian meatballs. I used to make bolognese sauce more frequently but it's easier to eat the meatballs on their own.

• wallycat
    edited January 11

Eric, that snow looks gorgeous. Reminds me of home. My sister (who still lives in WI) will get -9 as a high…ah, fond memories. I'd much rather have -20 than 80 any day but I know I'm in the minority. They'll also get 8" of snow. Winter is the only time I miss WI.

I ended up making a garlic butter/lemon mix, pan seared (seasoned the fish with salt/pepper and garlic powder). DH loved it. Simple. Black rice and roasted cauliflower as sides. Leftovers tomorrow.

I'm going to thaw some oxtail; first time using that so no idea what it will taste like. I will use it more like a "bone" since I don't know how much meat is there, lots of veggies and maybe some chana dal (yellow split peas but not real peas…it's all I have; I wanted to make it more like a split pea "stew" so this will have to do).

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841

I made air fried salmon bowls. I pre roast veggies at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. Trader Joe's has precooked steamed brown rice that I zap in the microwave, then I toss bite sized pieces of salmon in tamari sauce, minced garlic, hot honey,salt and pepper. Then I put them in the air fryer for 9 minutes at 350 degrees. Warm up the veggies, put in bowl with rice and salmon. Yum yum!

• carolehalston

Wally, I saw yellow split peas yesterday in the Winn Dixie. They're pretty. The mahi mahi sounds delicious. Butter, garlic, lemon. Great flavor.

The other meals all sound great.

Last night the steamed broccoli with fresh lemon juice and butter tasted good. We ate all of it. To use Sandy's description, the chicken breasts were "meh." Edible and forgettable.

Tonight we have a reservation at our club for dinner. It's Throwback Thursday with a couple of specials at the same prices as a few years ago. Usually a small filet and also a fish of the day.

• eric95us

Hi Home…..

A few years back, My mother-in-law bought us an air fryer for Christmas. She said she had no idea what else to get us and wasn't sure if we would use it. She was pleased when she discovered we used it many times per week.

Similar to you, we keep cooked rice, and pressure cooked beans, in the refrigerator for use as a "foundation" to meals.

It's just below freezing here, overcast skies, winds 35mph with gusts to 50mph (55-80kmh) and intermittent snow flurries.

Today is the trash pickup. We're trying to decide if we should put the trash out, and risk the can blowing over, or risk having a too full container next week. We bag all the trash, so it won't make a mess if the can blows over, but that presumes a coyote doesn't rip the bags open before we notice a tipped over trash can.

• maggie15

Oxtail doesn’t have lots of meat but is very flavorful. I used to make oxtail soup frequently. Maybe the sherry that was part of the recipe was what made it taste so good.

So far I have resisted getting an air fryer since I don’t really have room for it but it sounds like I’m missing out.

Tonight’s dinner was Swedish meatballs, spinach and mashed potatoes.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Oh my - Swedish meatballs !!!

I second the Mahi Mahi with garlic butter & lemon.

Homemom - welcome.

Eric - is your MIL settled & happy in her new place?

• carolehalston

Maggie, I don't love my air fryer. Maybe I haven't mastered using it but I still prefer a skillet on the stovetop. Speaking of skillets, my new 3 1/2 qt. Quisinart saute pan was delivered yesterday. It looks like the perfect size for us. The only minor defect is no vent in the glass lid.

My meal at the club last night was a seafood pasta. It was delicious and I brought half of it home.

We're in for some freezing weather early next week. I need to think about making a hearty soup.

• eric95us

Minus….Tuesday……

• auntienance

A white dinner to go with our Arctic weather - sauerkraut and mashed potatoes with Polish sausage and cornbread for added color. I rescued some lamb shanks from the bottom of the freezer so tomorrow's dinner will be a little more colorful -- braised shanks with tomatoes and white beans.

Minus - where do you find Godiva pudding? Our stores quit selling it a while ago to my great disappointment. I tried Dove which I didn't like at all. I miss my Godiva!

I used to made oxtail soup fairly regularly before they got so expensive The local butcher where we lived would frequently give them to me for nothing because people who brought beef for processing didn't want them. I rarely even see them around here.

Sandy with all you have going on I sincerely hope you don't have to get out in this weather. Everyone please stay safe and warm.

• eric95us

Today, it was calm, cool (40F/4C) and dry. There is still some snow in the shady areas.

I did get out and fix a low spot in a rain gutter. For some reason, there was a dip in the middle and about 3 inches/8cm of water would collect there. It's still not perfect, but far better. Now less than 1/4 inch/6mm of water collects at the low spot.

Earlier today, I put a couple of pieces of chicken in the dutch oven and smothered the chicken with some BBQ sauce. Some rice, which is almost done, along with some asparagus and maybe a fruit salad….and dinner is served.

The government is asking me to do some radio checks in about 30 minutes, so I'm going to go out and start the heater in the room in the garage so I'm not wanting to dress like I'm going outside in the South Pole winter. When the sun goes down, it gets kind of cold…..I won't be surprised if, in the morning, it will be below 10F/-12C.

• minustwo

Nance - My local stores stopped carrying the Godiva pudding too. I ordered from Amazon - and I might add, for an arm & a leg. Still - I don't spend money on clothes or furniture or expensive meals out, etc - so I treated myself. That's the same place I had to resort to for Heinz Tarragon Vinegar which is a mainstay in my kitchen.

I cancelled my dentist appointment for Tuesday. It's supposed to be 16 Monday night (In Houston for heaven's sake) and maybe get to just above freezing on Tuesday. Hanging baskets are moved in, plumarias have been pulled out of the ground & tossed in, so it's mainly the Mexican Mini Tomatoes that still have fruit & flowers.

• maggie15

Carole, The new skillet is exciting! For many years I had to do all my cooking on two burners so out of habit I still cook most meals in a covered skillet. I rarely bake even now that I have a good oven.

Dinner tonight was creamy lemon and dill skillet chicken, butternut squash and potato.

• carolehalston

Leftovers last night. The seafood pasta tasted better than in the restaurant.

Not sure about tonight. I have a cauliflower and a package of sliced yellow squash and zucchini waiting to be cooked.

Looks like a hard freeze on Tuesday and Wednesday.

• wallycat

Stay warm and safe, everyone. We did get our 2" of light, fluffy snow and it is cold here (for us, especially) hitting 14 at night and a high of 18 yesterday. Another cold day today ❤️ but it will get into the 50 mark by next week 😪

I made the oxtail soup last night and it was TO DIE for. I emailed the guy and begged him to sell me anything he needs to unload. Just like Nance, we cannot find it here at the local grocers so I'd never tried it. SO rich and good and yummy. Leftovers tonight.

• shrinkrap59
    shrinkrap59 Member Posts: 41

Thank you all for sharing; I am mostly living vicariously through you all, as I am being hypervigilant about using my arm until my next f/u. No cooking, no gardening. Argh! 😕

• maggie15

Shrinkrap, I'm sorry that you have to follow along vicariously. Since steroids limit what I can eat I think that doing this is better than nothing. Plan what you'll do when you can cook and garden again. It's kind of like the joy of anticipating a vacation.

Oxtail is much easier to find in Europe where humans eat every part of the animal. What is termed offal is generally sold for dog food here.

I decided on dinner early today since the fridge is pretty empty. It will be baked salmon liberally sprinkled with Chinese 5 spice powder, yellow squash and sauteed potatoes.

• carolehalston

Guided by mystery inclination, I got out a lb. of Camellia dry navy beans and am making bean soup with a large smoked ham hock and a medley of diced veggies. Also making a loaf of whole grain bread with Einkorn flour, part white and part whole wheat.

I wish we could send our freezing weather on Tuesday and Wednesday to Wally. We'll have to run water to keep the pipes from freezing and try to keep the pump house warm enough so the pump won't freeze. We have well water.

• carolehalston

I meant to say that we have oxtail in our supermarkets but it's very expensive to buy enough to cook a pot of stew. The same is true of a lot of the formerly inexpensive cuts of meat, like skirt steak and flank steak. I used to buy a bone in stew meat that was good for stews and soup, but I never see it any more. Also a pot roast with a small round bone. I don't see it either.

I suppose it's cheaper to be a vegan?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

I have started an organization project in the two guest room closets - got some new shelving and zippered storage bags. Just got done pulling all of the tablecloths out of the one closet and folding them and placing them in the bags. They look like they will stay as they were and not wrinkle so I am happy so far. The other room has a plethora of extra blankets and pillows, which always fall on me from the top of the wire wrapped shelves. The hanging stuff in that closet is coats - Florida houses don't have coat closets and they take up too much room in the regular closet. I am putting the pillows/blankets in these zippered bags, so I am hoping that corrals them. Also, donating everything we don't need or can't use.

Dinner is a non-starter tonight, DH is going to a neighborhood sports bar with an old boss to see the Dolphins playoff game since it is only streaming on Peacock, and we don't have it. He is a born and raised Miami boy, had season tickets when he was in middle school, so viewing is mandatory… I had a big Greek salad so I will probably not eat dinner, but I may have a snack.

Last night was Chicken Parm on spaghetti with steamed green beans with butter and lemon butter. Night before was baked pork chops - tried a new recipe that uses a sweet/sour sauce, and I cut up potatoes and tossed with seasoned salt, garlic, and pepper and olive oil, and broccoli with lemon olive oil, salt, and lemon pepper - the whole thing as a sheet pan situation, so yay!

maggie - ten years ago my DD did a paid internship as a dolphin trainer down in the FL Keys for a year. She lived in an efficiency that had a microwave, a sink, and a fridge, but no stove. I got her an electric skillet and it was amazing what you can cook in one! I still have it, and don't use it often, but I should!

Is the Godiva Pudding a mix, or already made? It looks like Kroger can ship Godiva mix, I wonder if it is less expensive than Amazon? I checked all my local stores to see if it is here - I would mail it to anyone who wants it, but it doesn't seem to be here.

• minustwo

Special - Godiva is powdered mix (same size as Jello pudding dry mixes) I didn't think to look at Kroger on line - just knew it was gone from their stores.

Carole - I agree. One of my favorites used to be a pork roast with all the delicious fat that crinkled up on the outside. Hard to find that anymore.

I spent the entire day on the computer trying to clean up files. Three hours of that was on the phone with my son enjoying his expertise. He was very patient. Many more days are required. I've been an officer of the Civic Club for 12 years (this time), but even before that I was the one who handled the maintenance fees so data on this computer back to 2000. Lots of files that someone will need when I get hit by a truck & I don't want to leave the sorting job to my son.

Today's meal was a small can of smoked oysters w/o crackers - a new brand that I didn't know (Roland) and I wasn't excited about it. And I am just now eating a piece of pumpkin pie with fake, spray whip cream before I go to bed.

• wallycat

I'm making thai curry goat stew/soup for tonight.

Maggie, you are correct; Europeans eat more of the animal than this side of the pond. I still remember when we first came to America and my mom was able to find calf's brain…and kidney…DELISH! It wasn't till I spent 5-6 months in Paris (work) that I was able to find brain again…oy, and during the scare from mad-cow. I still ate it.

• auntienance

Last night's lamb shanks were perfect for a frigid windy night. Since I only had two very meaty shanks, the amount it made was also perfect - just enough for dinner and lunch.

When I got up this morning the temp was -8°. It's now a whopping 2° (with a -15 wind chill.) At least we didn't get much snow. I have a doc appt tomorrow morning. I haven't put socks on yet this winter. I guess tomorrow will be the day since it's going to be colder than today.

Tonight's pork shoulder roast dinner has to be postponed since I failed to take it out to thaw early enough. So tonight will be an easy spaghetti with Rao's and ground beef and a small simple salad. Uninspsiring but satisfying.

Hope everyone is faring ok with this crazy weather.

• minustwo

This blows my mind… 'Tech Startup ChefAI is unveiling a "real one touch" air fryer. (this) iteration of the popular appliance doesn't require any tinkering with settings. Just place the food in the air fryer and press Start, and it uses artificial intelligence to detect what type of food it is cooking. … ChefAI will be available in the U.S. in September for $250.00'

Lots of plans for today's meals, but time got away from me while I was moving plants into the garage and covering other plants in preparation for the coming weather. So today's food was: a pear, one thick slice of garlic toast on Italian bread, and a bunch of Ruffles Potato Chips - accompanied by a class of Red wine and a drink of bourbon mixed with chocolate liquor.