Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

We had a ribeye last night, cooked on the grill. A few little boiled potatoes and a tossed salad. A satisfying meal.

Tonight we'll go to Clancy's for tacos. They have Taco Thursday instead of the more common Taco Tuesday. I plan to order the fish tacos.

Recent meals mentioned sound wonderful, especially the lobster. And all of Sandy's restaurant meals. You're undermining my sympathy, Sandy! LOL.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Tonight will likely be leftovers, as we need to use them up soon. Swung by the house, picked about a pint of black raspberries. Squirrels and rot (from touching the wet soil) got most of the ripening ones but I rescued a couple of small ones, to supplement the two little heirlooms from Eataly. Bob doesn’t like bone marrow (I didn’t realize that till he declined to have some of it when it arrived). Purple Pig was the first place I ever tried it, 10 years ago. Regalia sometimes has it too, but much smaller bones that don’t release the marrow easily. Best I’ve had was at St. John, in London’s Smithfield meatpacking neighborhood.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,247

Sandy, I'm glad your were able to rescue your balsamico antico. I guess the silver lining of the current hotel stay is the proximity to many good restaurants.

Carole, I like the idea of Taco Thursday in addition to Taco Tuesday elsewhere. That gives you options.

I made it across the state and back in the 98 heat for DH's cataract surgery follow up. The west - east roads are single lane with little sign of human life so even though the woods, hills and ponds are scenic I don't like the trip when the weather is iffy.

Dinner tonight was angus strip steak, corn on the cob and potato salad.

• chisandy

Living in Lincolnwood will mean having to drive everywhere—which means backing into & out of our long driveway onto a busy arterial street (no parking allowed, no alley either). I have never done that since I got my license in 1971! Bob wants steak tonight, and we want to walk as little as possible in a predicted storm. So Joe’s it is (around the corner)

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,383

I grew up eating "odd" stuff…calf's brain, kidneys, liver, marrow, blah, blah…european and poor. Now, the only place I ever found brain was when I lived in Paris—and that was 30 years ago (gosh, I'm getting old!). Sure, during the mad-cow concern (yes, I still ate it and had steak tartare).

Maggie…YIKES on 98. We hit 73 here and I won't leave the house, LOL.

I made scrambled eggs, the leftover baked beans and some green beans.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,697

I’m back from Houston and brought the rain with me, it’s gloomy and chilly but we need it. Meals have been Mexican, bbq and burgers mostly but tonight was a salad. We got home around 1am and neither of us wanted to cook today.

Scans were great, NEAD again and both docs (MO & Nuero) were delighted to give me the results.

Meal planning for the coming week begins tomorrow and will be low carb for DH, gonna have to be creative.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,119

Mae….awesome news! :-)

Chi…can you back into the driveway?

Tonight was hamburgers. We were going to cook them on the grill, but the 50+mph winds and "trying to rain" weather changed our mind to cook them on the stove.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

DH had a hankering for BBQ so we had some original NC chicken, green beans, and cornbread stuffing with cranberry on top. Thank goodness portions were normal, smaller size.

While our former mid-Atlantic state is sweltering we continue to be warm and a bit breezy, Even cool at night here in coastal Carolina. We love it but DH is researching the purchase of a generator in anticipation of the inevitable hurricane. My brother nearby has a whole house generator also. Our weather since we moved here has only been delightful except for a few random days. Of course we'd like that to continue but best to prepare. 🙄

• chisandy

Eric, backing in will be a bigger challenge, what with traffic whizzing by on that busy thoroughfare. I can head into the garage—it's a 2-1/2 car one (but tough to enter), so there's enough room inside to maneuver that I can head out of it. One plus about living on a no-parking street is that porch-pirating and cat-convertor theft is much less likely.

Reader, it'll be awhile before the smell of BBQ will no longer be "triggering." I've discovered that Mrs. Meyer's Lavender Room Spray neutralized the smoke-stink on my purse better (and more pleasantly) than did Febreze. And Target's brand of vent-clip air fresheners took care of the residual stench in the car. Meanwhile, one bonus of our new temp split-level in Lincolnwood will be the finished basement as a pleasant tornado-warning refuge—something our own home lacks.

Wally, I grew up eating sliced beef tongue—it was on the kosher deli platters along with corned beef, pastrami, and turkey. (In our overwhelmingly Jewish Brooklyn 'hood, that's what we called "cold cuts." Everywhere else in the US, "cold cuts" are what we called "lunchmeat," e.g, salami, bologna). And if you have a hankering for brain, head to rural parts of central & southern Indiana: brain sandwiches are a "thing" there.

At Joe's tonight, stone crab claws & coleslaw made tableside. Bob had filet & Lyonnaise potatoes. We split a slice of key lime pie.

Hotel breakfast buffet is so "meh" I'd almost rather sleep in and eat yogurt & leftovers in the room. Taking the kids to Shaw's tomorrow night. (Giving our Lettuce Entertain You membership card a workout).

• wallycat

I adore tongue sandwiches. WI had them at our local deli on the "east side" of downtown. Indiana is a tad far to go for brain ….but I will keep it in mind if we ever travel again. I've made tongue at home…that is an easier organ meat to obtain.

Illimae, that is AWESOME news!!!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Hi all - I am back from California. Have read along on the pages I missed while I was gone. The 50th high school reunion was fun, saw a lot of people, including some who were surprises and showed up at the door without RSVP, so they were not on the registered classmates list. So exciting to see people I had not seen in many years. One friend brought a photo taken at our prom - all four of us girls in the photo were there so we recreated it in the same order - it was very cute. My own prom date was there and many friends all the way back to elementary school. Of course, a shocking number of classmates have passed away - there was a memorial bulletin board. Some I had seen at past reunions, ugh, sad. I left L.A. and drove north to San Luis Obispo and saw my old college - many changes. Visited with a former professor and caught up with her - she is now a widow but doing well - we walked all around her property (10 acres) and I got a LOT of mosquito bites! Hung out with her for a couple of days and enjoyed chatting and visiting. As per the discussion a couple of pages ago - the memo goes out to all biting insects when I arrive - they love me! I had an allergic reaction to something and developed an itchy rash on both cheeks - not cute, and also I have officially adapted to humid Florida, because my lips were very chapped in dry California! After a couple of days I drove north to Gilroy (San Jose area) to stay with an old college roommate and fellow cancer patient, and her DH who also went to school with us. Had a blast - attended a Nashville song writers concert at a winery, super fun! As I left that area I was driving on a rural connector road to Pacheco Pass and saw fruit stands advertising 30 avocados for $1. You read that right. My mouth dropped open as I drove past. I did not need 30 avocados but I should have stopped. I would have paid $1 for one, lol! A reminder of how much food comes to us across the country from the salad bowl of central California. Continued on to Sacramento to spend some time with my BFF, we had fun, and I flew home on Tuesday, very late - in fact arriving early on Wednesday. DD was supposed to pick me up (she is a night owl, DH is a morning owl) but she had a fall on a moving boat at work Tuesday afternoon and had to go to urgent care with a severe sprain of right ankle, possible hairline fracture and/or ligament damage. Because this happened at work she is being handled by Worker's Comp but it is a slow process. She is awaiting an ortho consult and spending time elevating, icing, and taking a lot of ibuprofen. I went to the barn yesterday to bag up feed for her horses. I leave for Canada in 11 days so I hope she is a bit more settled before I leave. Her beau just had a fracture of his left ankle in March so at least he is sympathetic and helpful.

auntie - hope the knee goes well, and your pain is relieved - I will be thinking of you!

chisandy - meals out sound great, hope you can get settled in your temp housing and develop a routine of sorts - you will miss the restaurants but maybe some continuity will be reassuring. I can't believe you had a hotel fire - what the heck?

Brisket hamburger - in my experience it is ground raw brisket shaped into a patty, and/or a combo of brisket and another kind of fattier beef.

I need to grocery shop - DH did a good job of eating what I prepared and left in the fridge (assortment of main dish salads with instructions to eat first) and some stuff that was prepared and frozen. Need to make some decisions about what to leave him for the Canada trip.

BFF is playing in a soccer tournament in Canada - the initial reason for the trip - and then we are continuing to visit, then return to upstate NY to visit another friend for a few days in the Finger Lakes area. Will drive over to Rome, NY where we were stationed and my kids were born for a one-day visit. BFF has been using CBD roll-on to fend off her lower back sciatica caused by a synovial cyst on her spine. She will have it surgically removed later this year. Can't take CBD across the border so we will be visiting a dispensary in Canada - should be an adventure but I am glad we checked about taking it across the border - I might have needed to post here from jail after we got jacked up by border patrol…

illimae - yay for the good scans!

Happy belated Father's Day to all the DH's, eric, and fur dads!

Good to read the posts from all - I missed you!

• carolehalston

What a trip, SpecialK! You packed in a lot of visiting and travel. Sorry about dd's accident. I had to smile at your trekking to the barn to help with the horses. You are such a supportive mom.

Good news, Illimae!

I think I mentioned in the past that I cooked tongue quite a few times back when dh and I lived on a sailboat and were frugal in our grocery shopping. I cooked the tongue with cloves of garlic in a stove top pressure cooker. It was quite good as sandwich meat. I also cooked beef heart and cooked beef kidneys once and only once.

The fish tacos at Clancy's didn't get a high rating. The tortillas were flour, not corn and were on the large side. I tore off the top layers. The fish, shredded cabbage and sauce were tasty enough but there wasn't enough sauce.

The scene at Clancy's bar was amusing. It was horse racing night. Instead of bets the customers buy pull tabs, little pieces of cardboard with a paper covering that is ripped off to expose whatever is printed on the face of the cardboard. Each pull tab is $1 and you buy bundles for $10 or $20. Some tabs have a picture of a horse and a number. Every 30 minutes you watch a race on the tv in the bar and root for the horse or horses with your number/s. Goodness knows how much money flowed.

We did not know about pull tabs before spending time in MN.

I have chicken thighs cooking in the slow cooker along with a can of cream of chicken soup. Hey, this is MN. Min/na/SODA. I may cook some egg noodles and throw in some frozen green peas.

• maggie15

Illimae, Congratulations on the great scans! When I'm cooking low carb for myself I sometimes make the same dish in two small skillets and vary the ingredients as needed. I found that I can skip thickening agents if I use heavy whipping cream which is low carb. Also, any starchy pasta, rice or potatoes can be cooked separately or in your skillet. I discovered that I like meatballs on their own with a bit of salad.

Special, It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to California. You might be able to do a repeat of what you left your DH for his meals then when you go to Canada. Hopefully your DD's ankle improves soon. Worker's comp definitely slows down the medical treatment process. I'm glad you checked the rules about what you can take across the border. When we lived in Ontario we had to drive to Niagara Falls NY every week or two to collect our US mail. Since the prices were so much lower there we stocked up on food worth more than you are allowed to bring back from a day trip. DH was nervous so I always drove across the border. The customs agents invariably pounced on the fact that we lived in Ontario but our car was still registered in Maryland. I would produce the form we were required to have and they never asked what we had bought in the US. It was always entertaining to watch the Canadians cut the price tags off their new clothes in the parking lots and layer up in them as if it were 0 degrees out even during the summer.

Carole, Horse racing night at Clancy's sounds like a unique experience and quite different from going to the track. I have nothing against "cream of" soups; I provided DS with recipes using them when he was first living on his own and cooking for himself.

Wally, If you can find a small processing plant that does kosher or halal butchering it is sometimes easier to buy the "offal" meat.

Dinner tonight was oven barbecued chicken and potato salad. Thunderstorms finally broke the heat dome and returned us to more usual summer temps.

• wallycat
    edited June 22

I envy those that enjoy high school reunions. I graduated a year early (summer school!) and did not know many people the year I graduated so I have never gone or have been invited.

Special, like you, I am a bug magnet.

Maggie, I'm lucky we have regular grocery stores here, much less a packing/butchering plant, ahahahahahaah!!! My husband's ex-wife says we live in "witness protection." Funny, sort of.

We ended up at the emergency room today. DH's labs showed high calcium and the triage nurse at the onco called, telling him to get to the ER. 3-1/2 hours and hopeful he will be OK. The ER doc thinks it is the cancer in the bone, releasing calcium. His PSA actually came down even further. So wonderful to see 2 readings in the normal after a 10,000 PSA reading 5 years ago…and that he is still here, priceless.

I made goat ragu with penne pasta. YUM. Our high of 67 turned to 73, but cloudy enough to make it tolerable.

Happy weekend to all.

• illimae

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Dinner last night was meatballs lightly brushed with Sweet Baby Rays and a combo of squash, zucchini and small pasta shells in a butter/parm sauce.

DH is hanging with friends tonight, so I’m having orange chicken and spring rolls from the frozen foods isle, trying to have my carbs when he’s not around, so he’s not longing for it.

• maggie15

Wally, When I lived in AL and AR I would pass small meat processing plants going to the nearest grocery store (10 and 16 miles away.) Now the grocery is much closer but I go to a small plant about 20 mi away to get liver and tongue. The USDA inspects them but doesn’t station an inspector there full time as happens in the big plants. It’s wonderful your DH’s PSA is lower. Hopefully the calcium won’t cause any issues.

Dinner tonight was chicken in mango sauce and summer squash.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Special - great to hear from you. I'm SOOOO jealous that you're that close to the Pacific Ocean. And now Canada… Eastern or Western?

Mae - yes - fabulous news about your tests. I saw the great picture from your deck on another thread. Hooray for orange chicken.

Maggie - I've been using a lot of heavy whipping cream also to mix & thicken leftovers.

Wally - so sorry to hear about DH in the emergency room. Hopefully a positive outcome is on the way. Agree about being a bug magnet. And I never went to any HS reunions. I loved my time in HS, but that was another world.

Drove North to Conroe today (about an hour) to see my BFF's new over 55 "active living" apartment. I think she'll be happier there than the last place since there aren't wheelchairs & walkers clogging the halls and the elevators. She loves NEW and CLEAN and DIFFERENT and she's much more of a "people person" than I am. On the other hand, I will likely be in the same nice small house I moved into in 1974 until they carry me out feet first.

Dinner was at a new Tuscany restaurant in Conroe. I had Penne alla Vodka w/mushrooms & Spinach. She had Chicken Murphy with a similar "rosa" sauce. It was OK, but the best thing about the meal was the bread.

• wallycat

Had the leftover goat ragu tonight and probably tomorrow.

Maggie, I think the closest meat packing butcher is in Bremerton, which requires the bridge cross and is over an hour away, one way. Otherwise, we run into forest or water…we live at the tippy-tip of the Quimper Peninsula…if I look out my kitchen window, I see Canada across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We do have a fish packing place …as an aside, if anyone knows where I can order/purchase Cod Tongue, I would love the info. I thought we could get that easily here (all the fish in the area) but no. The only place I've ever had them is in Nova Scotia. Not sure if they get them frozen somewhere or ??

Temps were in the 60s today and I think tomorrow will be a high of 59 before summer sets in again. I'm grateful the days will be getting shorter and shorter, albeit it will take quite some time before it is dark after 11 here.

• chisandy

Last night at Shaw's we split an oyster sampler (dozen, from Hood Canal, BC, PEI and Cape Cod). Instead of an entree I had two apps: lobster tacos (the shells were flash-fried wonton wrappers) with guacamole; and a Maryland-style crab cake. The latter was blander than I expected and had too much filler. Bob ordered gumbo and Norwegian king crab legs, which he shared. Breakfast buffet featured the usual dry eggs but also corn tortillas, shredded chicken tinga & toppings for breakfast tacos. Tonight we were going to hunker down and eat leftovers (of which we have tons in the fridge & freezer) in anticipation of storms, but the storms got pushed back to about 11pm. So we went to Eataly again and split tomato foccaccia, app of prosciutto, and linguine with pesto & crabmeat. Still took back leftovers. Out of curiosity I checked the condiments section to see how much they were charging for my DOP antico balsamico (which I got online)—and was shocked to see they no longer carry the pricy DOP stuff. Instead, there's lots of flavored balsamic "condiment," "crema," and "glaze" plus the usual thinner "balsamic vinegar" that's basically a step above supermarket quality.

Tomorrow we can access the new house starting at 4pm. We may sleep in and blow off hotel breakfast in favor of a fresh insalata Caprese and assorted leftovers. Homegrown berries, too. I discovered the toaster in the cabinet high above the cooktop, so I did bring up a couple slices of wholegrain bread to toast. We officially check out on Monday, but the adjuster okayed paying for an extra day so we can take our time packing up and loading the cars and the project mgr's truck. What we'll bring over tomorrow will be the extra litter boxes, most garment bags, hair tools & products, and meds (I will put the ones we'll need tomorrow night & Mon. morning in ziplocs). Maybe the Nespresso, capsules & Keurig pods, plus nonperishables & household supplies. We will also stop en route at Petsmart for more litter and at Best Buy for a printer (most likely laser because it ultimately works out cheaper due to not having to constantly buy ink cartridges). We won't be able to fax because there's no landline at the house. Everything is digital there, including the door lock. TVs all have Hulu as the content provider, which is set up to get regular cable channels as well as let us stream with preloaded apps (we would of course need to log in to them with our info).

• carolehalston

Last night I made oven barbecue pork steak in the grill and overcooked it a bit. The side was fresh green beans from the farmers market with small red potatoes. Condiments were butter for the potatoes and barbecue sauce.

I also bought fresh beets at the market and sweet white salad turnips.

• wallycat

Ragu again for tonight. Should be the end of it. LOVE it.

We have shell-fish toxin warnings here. Do be careful eating anything from this area. Last year, the crab were off limits throughout most of the west coast. Sad.

• maggie15

Sandy, I hope the next move goes smoothly.

Wally, I’ve had cod tongue in Nova Scotia as well as at a Portuguese birthday celebration in MA a while ago. You can personally transport frozen cod tongue across the border if it is not breaded but I don't think it can be shipped outside of Canada. There are Portuguese/Cape Verdean fish markets in southern MA and along the RI coast; maybe some of them ship. When I lived in RI many moons ago they were sold packed in olive oil. What a shame about the local shellfish.

Minus, There are some places where I’d have an appetizer rather than a meal so I could fill up on the bread.

Carole, It must be great to scope out the veggies at the farmer’s market and buy what looks best rather than what you plan for in advance.

Dinner tonight was beef bourguignon, not particularly seasonable but good.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Knowing this to be a typical summer weekend I picked up some large local shrimp for dinner which we just ate with cocktail sauce. Served with macaroni salad and slaw with melon for desert. A cold supper was perfect for today.

• chisandy

Long day—mostly taken up with administrative doo-dah (cable, satellite, banks, credit cards, patient portal changes of address), then packing up the hanging stuff and extra cat boxes. We took just my car—for the main move, there will be three (again, the cats will ride with me and I’ll take some boxes in the back). The hotel was nice but the valets were less than competent and seemed resentful that we wanted them to load & haul the trolley rather than just bring it to us for us to schlep. Met our neighbors—quite nice, middle aged with two teenage daughters (hope they’d like to earn a little cat-sitting $). Quiet neighborhood not too far out of the way. I’d familiarized myself with it during our first two months in Chicago, and we shop there at least twice a week anyway. Tough thing is the lack of rapid transit—the PACE bus a block north goes to the Red Line terminal but very slowly. Over the past 10 days, Bob had gotten used to walking a block to the Red Line, making a quick transfer to the Pink, and being at work in 30 min.

By the time we’d made a run for sundries to drop off at the house (printer will have to wait), gotten back here and fed the girls, darn near every place w/in walking distance was closed (even touristy areas roll up the sidewalks on Sunday), so we managed to get the last seating at Joe’s. Crab bisque, a challah roll (I was starving, not having eaten all day), and shared Copper River salmon with sautéed spinach. One more hotel breakfast before we clear out of here. I froze the freezable leftovers to serve as ice packs: they will keep my Mounjaro cold in the insulated tote.

• carolehalston

Mac and cheese and hot dogs for dinner.

• minustwo

Hot dogs for dinner here too Carole - but served with Ruffles (be still my heart…but they were on sale so my bi-annual splurge). I whipped up some Hidden Valley Ranch dip to enhance the chips. While I was unloading and storing the groceries I had a cucumber, a handful of radishes and a bowl of cantaloupe. Sort of healthy even if weird times & combinations.

• illimae
    edited June 25

Last night was baked cod, mixed veggies and asparagus, which I haven’t had in a very long time, it was outstanding, everything else was good but not great.

Tonight is a simple salad, just spring mix, red onion, cucumbers and grilled chicken with a balsamic vinaigrette, yum.

• maggie15

Reader, You had the shrimp cocktail dinner that I always dreamed about. Yum!

Sandy, Clever use of the frozen leftovers.

Minus, I opened the crab chips that my daughter brought when she stayed with DH. They are potato chips with Old Bay seasoning, an Eastern Shore staple that I miss.

Dinner tonight was baked haddock, sauteed potatoes and asparagus (tasty like Illimae's was.)

• minustwo
    edited June 25

I bought fresh asparagus today so that's in my future too. I usually saute & then cover to steam a bit.

Maggie - crab chips - who knew!!!

• carolehalston

We passed on Meatloaf Monday at Clancy's in favor of using some meal ingredients in the refrigerator. I made a skillet dish with sauteed beet greens, corn cut off the cob, and incredibly sweet carrots from the farmers market. A romaine salad with avocado, tomato, cucumber, blue cheese. Sliced fresh beets in vinegar. So we ended up with Meatless Monday. Everything tasted good.