Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,083
    Options

Hi Lynn. As they say, "Pull up a chair." :-)f

Minus, that is good news that the stomach stuff is abating. Two chicken noodle soups or two Irish Bailey Creams? :-) I couldn't resist that.

I'm glad someone likes beets. I remember my mom telling me that when I was an infant, she gave me some beets and the nearby wall needed to be repainted. I still don't like beets.

I'm hardening off the plants for the garden. The basil and cilantro plants are huge and growing fast, so we are taking advantage of the harvest even before the plants are in the ground.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,402
    Options

Leftover grilled grouper & spinach in the room last night. Going to Stefani Prime for early-ish dinner tonight.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,020
    Options

Lynn, I love eating other people's 7 layer dip because each one is a bit different. I hope your recovery goes well.

Carole, Do you like leeks or garlic? I love onions but would leave them out if you were coming to dinner. Sometimes extra good veggies are as much of a treat as chocolate.

Minus, I'm glad your stomach is recovering. My grandfather would make us whiskey hot toddies when we were kids if we were sick and staying at his house. I'm not too sure about the medicinal value but it did make us sleep.

m0mmy, Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes was the only junior high school lunch that I liked.

Wally, I had to get up early to walk so that I could beat the high-80's temps today. I've lived in all kinds of climates but now my body has trouble adjusting to both extreme heat and cold.

Eric, I have pots of herbs but never bother to plant them outside. When I lived in the farm cottage in Scotland I would open the door and pick wild mint if I was roasting lamb.

Dinner tonight was chicken in mango sauce with cauliflower.

• chisandy
    Options

I have basil, thyme, flatleaf parsley & tons of mint in my garden, and the tomatoes and black raspberries will be ripening in about 3 weeks. As I will have a kitchenette 6/12-7/11, I may drive back to the house to pick some. I told my neighbors to have at the mint. The squirrels & rabbits refuse to eat it.

Dinner at Stefani Prime tonight. App was a shared "twin avocado" stuffed with king crab & shrimp, with balsamic cream and cucumbers. Tossed mesclun salad. Shared a center cut filet mignon and creamed spinach.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,949
    Options

Maggie, I cook with garlic and like cooked leeks, since they have such a mild taste. I also cook with finely diced raw onion but do not eat raw onion or onion rings. The only inconvenience to my aversion is serving myself at potlucks with cold salads. I have asked dh to take a taste of potato salad and let me know if it has raw onion. He has sometimes not been able to tell.

Last night's dinner was hot dogs and baked beans, a small can of Bush's. DH had two hotdogs and I had one. We didn't finish all the Bush's. Dh also had some leftover broccoli salad.

No clue on tonight's dinner.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,541
    Options

Even though I went through all the trouble in the humid heat we were having to make hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes, hubby had a yen for KFC. So gonna have the leftover KFC for dinner tonight and hamburger gravy tomorrow. Only problem I have with KFC is they never give you enough mashed potatoes for a second night.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,234
    Options

minus - on the CO property it was a half acre of land at a very high elevation. We needed to wait to apply for a construction loan until DH got all of his retirement income figured out and solidified. Surprisingly (or not) it took the federal government pension about 3-4 months to process. They paid a portion of it but we needed to know exactly how much before we applied. Once that all straightened out we applied for a loan, but building costs in that area are astronomical - $600-$700 a sq. ft. The HOA requires a minimum of 2000 sf, so that put building out of reach because we also needed an ADU as well over the garage. So, we put the lot up for sale, and are now looking outside of Summit County for something already built, which is much more affordable ad would be at a somewhat lower elevation. That way we are in faster - maybe by the end of summer - rather than waiting for two years for a build. There is still snow covering the land we own. It was a dream, but an unrealistic one.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,319
    Options

Special, sorry to hear about the glitch.

Minus, glad you are continuing to improve.

I'm making mapo tofu tonight (the ground meat will be goat not pork).

Lynn, welcome to our "dinner table."

• carolehalston
    Options

It was so windy today with temperature in the 50's that I dismissed any idea of playing women's league golf at 9 am. I went to the gym with dh, out to breakfast, then to the supermarket for a pot roast, which is cooking in the slow cooker. It's a good day here for pot roast and veggies while at home in Louisiana, it's a good day for cold salad.

Wally, thanks for another term to look up, mapo tofu. LOL. I have an insight into the tofu but not the mapo. You and Maggie keep me on good terms with Google.

SpecialK, I'm sorry the dream house in Colorado didn't work out but I'm sure you will be happy with the backup plan. With luck your lot will have appreciated in value. A fixer upper seems like a good idea for you and your dh since you have some experience in that area of home owning.

Back to the pot roast purchase, I think roasts must be more popular in the south than here in MN. The selection of beef pot roasts was small and the cost about as pricey as at home. The selection of pork roasts was pitiful, almost nonexistent. I was all set to buy one of those for the freezer but didn't.

• eric95us
    Options

I was out digging some trenching (by hand) in weather in the upper 90F degree range…and I was griping about the heat. Then I got to thinking about Normandy, 80 years ago, and then my father in the Battle of Saipan (starting June 15,1944) and I quite my griping……

• maggie15
    Options

Eric, Good point!

Carole, Where I live it’s much harder to find pot roast in the summer, probably because it’s considered a winter meal. All the meat cuts now tend to be skewed towards grilling.

Special, Sorry that the lot didn’t work out. I guess some of the higher elevations in CO can stay snowed in year round. We rode horseback with a small group to cross the continental divide in the San Juan National Forest one August but had to turn around because of deep snow. It was very scenic even though we didn’t reach our destination.

Dinner tonight was angus strip steak and corn on the cob. We’re eating this fairly frequently but for some reason it’s inexpensive, good and plentiful right now. Grilling season?

• wallycat
    Options

Ladies, you are making me think I need to live atop a mountain!

We hit 68 today. I resisted turning on the a/c. I'm a wussy-girl when it comes to warm weather. NOT a fan. We should be back in the 50-low-60s again in a few days. Too bad we can't all choose the temps we like and live in a bubble. Sigh.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Carole,

I have found that finding a pot roast in the summer very hard, even in New England! Pot roast here in New England is more for the cooler months.

• maggie15
    edited June 8
    Options

Dinner tonight was stuffed peppers (traditional Italian flavor) and mashed potatoes.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,169
    edited June 8
    Options

Dinner was pork loin roast. Unfortunately I got distracted and it cooked WAY too long. Dry, dry, dry. The leftovers will NOT be good for sandwiches - only some kind of moist casseroles. Of course that's the way my Mother always cooked pork so we wouldn't get "Trichinosis".

Any suggestions beside fried rice?

• wallycat
    Options

You could slice it into thin strips and marinate it in an asian flavored sauce and do a quick stir-fry. If you have a cuisinart, you could pulse it up/semi-ground and portion out with egg scramble or use it as ground taco meat or for nachos. If you eat canned soup, you could use some of it to flesh out a canned soup. Diced up, you could do a shepherd's pie of sorts, but suspect too hot for that. Sliced thinly, you could just add it to salads for the protein and maybe if you make your own dressing, let it sit in that for a while. Tettrazzini, with enough cream sauce, hides a multitude of sins…put over noodles or rice.

I ate too much…loved the mapo tofu so much.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, A fruit/fruit juice sauce might moisten it up if the pork is chopped into chunks.

whole berry cranberry sauce, diced apple, chopped onion, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, pepper

mango juice, chopped mangoes, diced onion, chopped green bell pepper, thyme/rosemary/sage, salt pepper

chunky salsa, black beans

fruit juice with complementary tasting liquor like orange juice and orange curaçao; chopped garlic, salt, pepper

One meal of fried rice is good. If you chop the pork fine (or use a food processor) and add chopped celery, chopped onion, dill pickle relish and mayo you have a sandwich spread which can be topped with lettuce and tomato.

Enjoy your taste adventure.

• maggie15
    edited June 8
    Options

Wally’s post just inspired me. Chop the pork up, mix with hoisin sauce, a bit of garlic and wrap in lettuce leaves to eat. I actually make this with ground pork or chicken.

• chisandy
    Options

Dinner last night was the new Niles location of Crosby's Kitchen (originally on Southport near where Gordy & Leslie live). It's been open only two weeks, but you wouldn't know it. We had to sit at the bar on the covered patio, but were a little rattled to find a wood-burning firepit (but wasn't as "triggered" by the scent as I thought I'd be). Their menu featured wood-grilled specialties, but we already smelled a bit like smoke, so why not? We split a roasted veggie platter (asparagus, artichokes, Brussels sprouts, broccolini). Bob's entree was a prime rib French dip with fries; mine was grilled king salmon (glaze on the side) with spiced broccolini. It was delicious but way more than I could eat, so we took home leftovers (Bob killed off the whole sandwich). Since we ate the artichokes with our hands, my fingers not only smelled smoky but were sooty. Planned to have it for dinner tonight, but…

About 1pm I was awakened from a post-prandial nap by fire alarms. Yup—there was a fire in our hotel. Can't make this stuff up. Grabbed my keycard and phone and booked it out of there. No smoke smell in the hallway but when I got downstairs the lobby was smoky. Sat outside, panicked—everything we own that wasn't affected by the house fire (and some that was mildly smoky), plus the cats, was in our room. Fire dept arrived, promptly found and extinguished it. Turns out a cordless hand vac was left plugged in to recharge in a ground floor janitorial closet, and the battery overheated and ignited. After the first floor was aired out for a half-hour, we were let back in. Luckily, no smoke on the guest floors. Still a bit shaky. The manager says it's safe to stay (no residual smell) but HomeLink is willing to relocate us early if we want. (Getting everything—especially the cats—out and into the cars and possibly an Uber would be a major headache).

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,169
    Options

Thanks for all the ideas about the extremely WELL DONE pork Wally & Maggie. I ended up freezing 3/4 of the meat since I discovered my Hoisin sauce is one that didn't make it through the purge after our 7 day power outage. But it's now on my list. Actually I do have some orange curacao in the back of a cabinet that I haven't though about in ages. Also some Limoncello. Hmmm…

Amusing memory. 40-50 years ago we were at a friends beach house & they ran out of Scotch - his drink of choice. The husband decided to mix what he had left half & half - bourbon & orange curacao - and called it a "Corroded Hook". Since he drank scotch this was sort of in honor of the 'Rusty Nail'. I remember it being VERY smooth, and very potent.

• maggie15
    Options

Sandy, It's scary how fire seems to be stalking you. I hope that's the end of it. About three years ago I set myself on fire cooking and ended up in a burn unit for a week. My shirt caught fire as I reached too far for the pepper since I was immobilized by "let's see how it's doing in a month" knee arthritis. I still have nerve damage but the scars on my face have cleared as the surgeon predicted since I have fair skin which is looser thanks to “maturity.” Surprisingly I wasn't at all hesitant to use the gas stove again. Needless to say, when arthritis pain struck my other knee it was treated immediately.

Minus, I haven’t been able to drink for many years (migraines) so I frequently cook with wine and booze. The heat seems to neutralize whatever is the root cause and I can taste the flavor.

Dinner tonight was leftover stuffed peppers.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 884
    Options

We had brother and SIL over for dinner and served homemade basil pine nut pesto tossed with chickpea penne, farmer's market french bread, foil grilled veggies (squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, sweet onion, dill, basil and EVOO), and mixed berries for desert. Everyone enjoyed it and we loved hosting as they had been on vacation and we enjoyed hearing about it.

Sandy. Just wow. Big cyber hug.

Maggie, I love stuffed peppers and made a turkey version recently.

• carolehalston
    Options

A week in a burn unit. What a horrible experience, Maggie. Must have been so painful.

Yesterday was dh's 85th birthday. We had dinner with a friend who is struggling with grief after the death of her dh late last summer. Her daughter has come to stay with her a couple of months and work remotely. The restaurant, Hilltop Inn, is fairly close to Dorothy's wonderful summer home on Long Lake. DH had the prime rib and I had pecan crusted walleye. The restaurant is known for both of these entrees. My fish was very good but the portion was on the small side.

No clue about dinner tonight.

• wallycat
    Options

Maggie, yikes. Sandy, double yikes. Carole, happy belated b-day to your DH. I hope his jaw pain has continued to abate. My sister is starting year 2 of losing her husband (he died just after his 73rd b-day) and has days of being inconsolable. My heart breaks for her.

Carole, you're killing me with the walleye. WIsh I could have someone send me some.

We had baked beans with cabbage and hot dogs last night. Leftovers tonight.

• eric95us
    edited June 9
    Options

Sandy, I agree with Maggie that fire seems to be following you. I'm glad this one was not so eventful to you.

I've not had any (serious) burn issues from cooking….just the tiny blister here and there from bumping something hot…not that I want even that.

I'm fighting a cold…it's just an annoying cold…not a "man cold".

I have a (very) old meat grinder and I'll cover up an overcooked meat mistake by grinding the meat and putting it into "something"….stuffed peppers or something with a ground meat based sauce.

I can't (don't want to?) imagine my grief if I were to "lose" Sharon. My heart goes out to those who have lost a spouse.

• maggie15
    Options

Reader, Thanks for the reminder on the foil veggie packets. I have cooked them in a 375* oven and camp fires. The blended flavors are unique.

Carole, Happy Birthday to your DH! The meal sounds like it was delicious. It's good that you could spend time with your grieving friend since losing a long time partner is like losing a piece of yourself.

Dinner tonight was Kung Pao chicken on rice. Since DH is petrified of hidden msg in soy sauce I tried Umami Joy sauce which is made from tomatoes (but you'd never know it.) I liked it better than coconut aminos sauce which I had previously used as a substitute.

• chisandy
    edited June 10
    Options

Light lunch at Calo, after braving the Andersonville Midsommarfest mobs lining Clark St., to buy shoes. I had 2 baked clams, a jumbo prawn, a couple oz. of squid, some salad and the house tomato foccacia. Dinner tonight w/friends at Arirang Korean BBQ: scallion shrimp pancake, various bonchon (assorted kimchi and other mini-salads), bulgogi, spicy chicken thighs, and grilled veggies (shiitakes, zucchini, onion, peppers and acorn squash). Sent them home with the leftovers, as our room's mini-fridge is chock-full. (An entire shelf is taken up by my 3 boxes of Mounjaro).

• carolehalston
    Options

Last night's dinner was meatloaf from Hugo's supermarket. I used the outdoor grill as an oven to cook it. It was good though a little overcooked. Sides were small boiled red potatoes and sliced fresh beets dressed with red wine vinegar.

I forgot that Monday night is meatloaf special at Clancy's but we'll skip it tonight.

Sandy, you are eating well without a kitchen.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Took out boneless pork spareribs for dinner.

Debating whether hubby and I should go out for our anniversary on Wednesday or stay home. We are reaching the major milestone of 20 years of marriage that day.

• chisandy
    Options

I miss not being able to cook. When we move into suites-hotel on Wed., I can use the kitchenette (which has a smoothtop range). And the new house has a big kitchen, with a decent fridge, dishwasher, gas range and powerful vented hood. Blender but no food processor. Combo Keurig & drip coffeepot, but no grinder. Will have to buy a little Nespresso machine & capsules because I don't want to deal with grinding espresso beans for even a small regular espresso machine. Will have to forgo cappuccino except at Starbucks, because I don't want to buy a frother (unless we can get a Nespresso with a froth wand). It's only for 6 months (I hope) before we can move back home and my semi-pro espresso machine & grinder(s) have been restored.

Tonight we'll probably nuke Friday night's leftovers or go out again. There's a Chinese takeout joint w/in walking distance, as well as a CVS. The suites hotel is smack-dab downtown, amidst loads of great restaurants and Eataly. CTA is a block away so Bob can take the train(s) to work (except for the one day a week down in Beverly/Evergreen Park when he'll have to drive). No self-parking, so we'll have to rely on valet. (ugh—at least insurance pays for that). Valet uses an outdoor lot several blocks away. I think there's a Whole Foods 1/2 mi north.