Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,229

Thank y'all for the good wishes.

Carole, My DD made that microwave tuna casserole using Annie's Mac n Cheese when she was in college and still occasionally makes it. It’s great that the bad weather market day turned out to be good for sales.

Illimae, A big salad with rotisserie chicken is a great summer meal: fresh veggies, easy to put together and the kitchen stays cool.

Minus, I love garlic in just about everything. In Scotland I would pick wild garlic which has a smaller bulb; the whole plant is edible.

Dinner tonight was roasted chicken breast with root vegetables in a mustard shallot sauce; not very summery but it used up the turnips.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,680

it’s gonna be kebabs and corn on the cob on the fall for tonight

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,245

wally - thinking of you and your DH, sending you strength.

maggie - Happy 50th anniversary, a bit late - have been scrambling around packing for my next trip, and I haven't been reading.

minus - flying into Buffalo, crossing the border and driving next day to Guelph (near Toronto) for a soccer tournament for the next 5 days, then to Toronto itself for a quick visit, then to Skaneateles for four days in the NY Finger Lakes area. I can attest that your friend will need a sweater or sweatshirt in Santa Cruz - we went to a concert at a winery kind of near San Jose in the hills and I was glad to be wearing both! Fun time, but it was indeed chilly - which was actually also fun for me, lol!

I was just at Publix and one of the large potato chips makers (Lays or Ruffles?) is making Old Bay flavored chips!

mommy - hope you're doing ok!

illimae - I also love a good salad, with all the stuff you mentioned! I have been saving all my random heels and odd pieces of bread in the freezer, mostly gluten free. I take some out and cube it up, spray a pan with olive oil spray, spray the bread cubes, and dust with a combo of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Bake at 350F until very crunchy. Great way to use up weird bread, have GF croutons, and honestly, it is the best use of most GF bread, lol!

reader - strawberry key lime pie sounds like a mashup of two of my favorite things! Were the strawberries on top of a key lime pie or was it all incorporated together?

chisandy - glad you are getting settled into a longer situation housing-wise, I am sorry that it is necessary though! Hope your kitties are settled down soon.

I am leaving for Canada in the morning, so I will be hit or miss - I may actually have more free time on this trip so I plan to try and check in more than the last one!

• m0mmyof3

Doing good so far! Taking it one day at a time!

• maggie15

m0mmy, Grilling weather! Glad to hear things are healing well so far.

Special, In our peripatetic days we lived in Guelph in a Ukrainian neighborhood. I wasn't surprised by the French in Ottawa and on the Gaspe peninsula but that and the Portuguese neighborhood where we lived in Cambridge illustrated the Canadian philosophy of mosaic rather than melting pot. Enjoy your trip to Ontario and the Finger Lakes district.

Dinner tonight was ground chicken and asparagus lasagna since there has been such good asparagus available recently.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 925
    edited July 2

Special safe travels! The pie was not as good as it could have been IMO. A bit of a mashup of the two flavors, not strongly either, with whole strawberries here and there (frozen, hard). But it still was hard to dislike the whole combination.

Tonight was chicken wings in the crockpot with some leftover salad we had from when some visiting friends were here, who left today.

Maggie I'd love that chicken lasagna recipe if not too much trouble.😋

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075

We had take out dinners from Clancy's last night. Ended up waiting 25 minutes when we went to do the pickup at the designated time. We think the woman who took the order didn't put it in. My meal was hot. Two pieces of dark meat broasted chicken with French fries. The coleslaw was left out. DH had the meatloaf special and his food wasn't hot. So… We won't be doing that again. We'll have to dine in.

In Clancy's defense, they were very busy as will be most restaurants during this 4th of July week and take out isn't a major part of their business.

My chicken and fries were both very good.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,380

Safe travels, Special.

DH's labs were good (for the calcium) so no hospital stay. We see his PCP today and his onco tomorrow.

Seattle will hit 90s this weekend which means we will be about 76…I'm over summer.

I made scrambled eggs and leftover cauliflower for dinner last night. Leftovers (thawed) goat ragu for tonight.

• maggie15

Chicken and Asparagus Lasagna

You can use regular boiled lasagna noodles (a bit better) or no-boil with water added to Alfredo (easier.)

1Tbs. olive oil / 1lb trimmed asparagus cut into 1-2" pieces / 1lb ground chicken / 1/2 cup tomato pesto / 1 15 oz jar roasted garlic Alfredo sauce / 12 oz package sliced provolone / 12 lasagna noodles / grated parmesan / salt / pepper

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 13" x 9" dish/pan with cooking spray.
    2. In skillet heat olive oil and cook asparagus with salt over medium heat for about 5 min. Remove.
    3. In same skillet cook chicken with pepper and salt 5 - 7 min. Stir in pesto. Remove from heat.
    4. If using no-boil noodles add 3/4 cup water to Alfredo sauce. Sauce is used in approximate fourths (save a bit more for the top.)
    5. Spread sauce on bottom of pan. Layer 4 noodles, sauce, 1/2 provolone, 1/2 asparagus, 1/2 chicken. Repeat. Top with last 4 noodles, sauce and parmesan. Cover with foil.
    6. Bake at 350 F for 30 - 45 min (regular noodles) or 45 - 60 min (no bake.) Uncover the last few min. Rest 15 min before serving.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Oh Wally - 90 in Seattle is REALLY Hot. I'll quit complaining that it's 100 on my patio in the shade in Houston for the 4th day!!!! So glad labs were OK for your DH. Hope PCP and Onco visits go as well.

Special - my BFF leaves this weekend for a Rhodes Scholar 'grandparent' trip to Toronto and eventually Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. This was her 10 year old grandson's first choice.

Maggie - thanks for the recipe. I'll be sauteing asparagus tonight since it's approaching EOL - but I also have leftover potato salad & cantaloupe so dinner will be eclectic vegetable & fruit buffet. Oh - and 3 small cucumbers - but maybe they'll still work sliced with onions & sour cream to marinate for tomorrow. Sadly I have to admit that over the weekend I ate most of a bag of Ruffles with Hidden Valley Ranch dip. They went really well with my red Meritage wine.

Tried a new dish - Chile Crisp Fettuccine Alfredo with (fresh) Spinach. It was only OK so I won't save the recipe even though I could probably tinker with it.

• maggie15

Wally, Great news on your DH's calcium labs. I hope the medical appointments go well.

Carole, In my experience takeout is good only for pizza, drive throughs and Asian food. There are often problems with everything else. Since I can't dine inside I often have to put up with it when travelling.

Minus, Asparagus with potato salad and cantaloupe sounds good. I really miss the wine (I cook with it) but the migraines are not worth it.

Dinner tonight was leftover lasagna.

• reader425

Thanks Maggie!

• carolehalston

Dinner last night was a pork steak cooked in the slow cooker with barbecue sauce. Fresh green beans with small red potatoes. Tossed salad.

• reader425

Macaroni and cheese with a side of baked tomatoes. DH was out so I took the easy route.

• maggie15

Dinner tonight was chicken in lemon dill cream sauce, sautéed yellow squash and mashed potatoes.

• wallycat

tuna salad sandwich.

DH will need a 6 week follow up (labs and a PSMA scan). Hopeful for stable but …blah, blah…

• minustwo

Wally - thanks for the update about DH. Still keeping you in my thoughts & fingers crossed.

• carolehalston

We had the tuna casserole I described recently and it got a positive OK rating. Also a good tossed salad using farmers market lettuce. Also leftover fresh beets in vinegar.

Tonight will be hot dogs.

• minustwo

Thanks for the beet reminder Carole. While they are getting harder to find, I try to keep canned 'shoestring' beets on hand. I like them in salads after rinsing well to get rid of extra sodium. I have so many small portions of leftovers, it could be a real feast. But most of them could be thrown into a large green salad. Hmmmm. And I have an open package of hot dogs. Happy 4th of July.

• m0mmyof3

Hubby and I went to a party thrown by a former colleague of hubby’s. They do it potluck style and it’s always great. I never come home hungry. Had a couple of drinks and then I stuck to seltzer water.

• maggie15

Dinner tonight was no nitrate added beef hot dogs (requested by DH) and corn on the cob. Taking part in what seems to be a fourth of July trend.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Tonight was meatballs, cauliflower Mac n cheese and spinach, which was very good.

I’m going to have to have a tuna salad sandwich soon too, thanks for mentioning it wally.

• wallycat

Chef's salad tonight. Felt warm…I realize not what real hot weather has been for many of you, but here, there's a heat-advisory out. We hit 74=75 and may hit 80 before Monday….so far, no a/c needed but any warmer, it will crank away.

Happy 4th to all.

• carolehalston

Lemon dill cream sauce sounds so delicious.

We enjoyed our hotdogs last night. No side.

I found beautiful eggplants at Walmart and will likely make eggplant lasagna style dish today.

It started to rain at dark yesterday. The noise from fireworks over at Clancy's restaurant (Vacationaire resort) was very limited compared to past years. DH thinks they may have had the fireworks prepared and exposed to the rain. It was enough rain to douse the campfires at this resort, too. We watched the fireworks in Washington DC on CNN for about 20 minutes. That must have cost a "pretty penny."

• maggie15

I thought I was going to be watching the Boston fireworks in person last night since I had an EGD scheduled for today but my appointment was changed to Monday. I considered going anyhow but decided it wasn't worth it. I watched the tv broadcast with the sound (pop music) muted and had plenty of accompanying blast noises from the neighborhood since there aren't many fireworks restrictions in this state whose motto is "Live Free or Die."

Dinner tonight was oven barbecued chicken and cauliflower.

• m0mmyof3

Taking the leftover chicken from a couple nights ago and some stir-fry beef strips and cook up a little pasta and some Alfredo sauce.

• wallycat

Capresse salad last night; leftovers tonight.

We hit 84 out here and my heat pump died. UNreal. Angry doesn't describe it.

• minustwo
    edited July 6

Wally - as I posted on another thread - so sorry about your heat pump.

Due to the storms preceding the hurricane, our temperatures went from 97 to 78 between 2 & 4pm - and that's a day or two before the worst may (or may not) happen. Two inches of rain in 45 minutes. I'm charging all the USB lights in preparation. And will see how the "solar" generator that my son sent works - at least at keeping a phone charged.

Dinner was a LARGE salad with all sorts of leftover veggies included.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,689

Minus, I hope Beryl brings nothing more than a bit of rain.

I had planned a tuna steak with veggies but today ended up being one of those post chemo days where the thought was nice but I just didn’t feel like doing the work. Dinner will now be frozen beer battered fish and some fries.

• maggie15

m0mmy, That sounds like a delicious way to use up leftovers.

Wally, Why does AC always malfunction on the weekend? Drive to hang out somewhere airconditioned (movie theater, mall, restaurant, library.) Two summers ago it happened to us with temps over 100. All local motels were booked and my pulmonary restrictions kept me from the local cooled places. We drove north, found a hotel room for overnight, and spent two days reading books in the big hospital built when architectural esthetics were preeminent leaving tons of airy nonfunctional space with high ceilings and small comfy seating areas. I had to wear my n95 all day but it was one of the few times I actually enjoyed being at a hospital. Hopefully your heat pump can be repaired quickly.

Minus, You have had too many deluges this year. I hope your power remains on.

Dinner tonight was meatballs in Rao’s on spaghetti.