Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,679

Got some new cookware to supplement the one I brought across country. So tonight it's hot dogs and beans.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,378
    edited August 22

Special, my thoughts are with you; like it isn't enough we need to endure the scheduling and the scans, never mind wait for results. Ugh. You are made of sturdier stuff than I am.

Mommyof3, so glad you have a safe space and cooking ability. It reminded me of all the road trips and cross-country motorcycle trips. …My goal was to make as many of our meals in the motel or camp grounds and for some weird reason, I enjoyed the challenge.

A neighbor gave us Dungeness crab, so we had that for dinner with homemade slaw and a bag of potato chips. Chips and crab are insanely delicious. Well…potato chips are my heroin, so there's that.
    I wept several times…my little black fur-ball is not sharing his favorite meal, making the mess I hated and looking at me with gratitude. sob

Have been fishing and doing doc appointments for DH; no fish so far.

Seattle will be Sept. 5th. I've made shopping plans to make it more palatable.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,224

m0mmy, We still use the cheap dinnerware that DH bought in Woolworth’s over 40 years ago when he was “temporarily” transferred to AL. It’s great that you were able to cook your own dinner tonight.

Carole, Glad the corned beef experiment worked out well. Enjoy the pizza and the bluegrass festival.

Special, Planning for trips is definitely part of the fun. I hope you can get your procedure and the follow up appointment quickly; after all the grief you went through you deserve that. It’s good that you can eat real food now.

Wally, Yum on the Dungeness crab but I’m sorry it made you miss your kitty. Planning something fun when traveling for medical appointments is a good idea.

I had the radiofrequency ablation on my esophagus today. No pain (my gastro says my nerves have been destroyed by acid) which is good in one way but bad in that I wouldn’t feel an injury.

Dinner tonight was Gatorade and jello for me, baked Italian cod for DH.

• laguna24
    laguna24 Member Posts: 65

hi, all

I have mets to my stomach (ILC). Decided this group can be helpful as I have acid reflux with practically any food I eat. Anyone with mets to stomach? What do you eat?

• maggie15

Hi @laguna24 , I don’t have stomach mets but have had silent acid reflux for a long time. After a serious upper GI bleed I got a copy of The Acid Watcher Diet by Jonathan Aviv which uses only low acid foods. You can also google lists of low acid foods. I ate oatmeal and bananas for breakfast, yogurt with melon/apple/pear for lunch and chicken/seafood with sweet potatoes and low acid veggies for dinner. Coffee, tomatoes and chocolate were the hardest things for me to give up. My gastroenterologist told me to elevate the head of my bed, consume no carbonated drinks and eat nothing after dinner. You might want to ask your doctor about taking PPIs or acid blockers.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 924
    edited August 23

Laguna, I agree with everything Maggie said as I don't have mets but have had GERD and impaired esophogael motility and an open LES from an autoimmune disease for nearly 40 years. I just purchased the book Maggie recommended. (TY!) I've also been on Dexilant ( PPI) forever.

Maggie what do they do the RFA procedure you mentioned for, if you are comfortable sharing? I had so, so many upper GIs for so long but am now probably due for one again. Ugh.

• laguna24

Thank you, ladies

Found the book, downloaded short version, will order it. Hopefully will be able to cut down on some meds natural way. Please share any recipes if you tried something new and it works for you.
    Best wishes

• m0mmyof3

It was fantastic to cook our first meal in the rental place. Thinking of what to make tonight already.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,074

The pizza outing was fun. I enjoyed the pizza and we brought home a few pieces.

• m0mmyof3

Decided on what my sister used to call Mac ‘n Cheese crap with corn.

• maggie15

m0mmy, Love those family names for foods. Creamed salmon and peas was called "Simmer Down" in my household growing up probably because my mother kept saying that to my siblings and me when we were a bit rowdy at the dinner table while eating that.

Reader, They found Barrett's esophagus as well as esophagitis and a hiatal hernia when I was hospitalized for the GI bleed. On my last monitoring endoscopy there was dysplasia in the biopsy tissue so the RFA was done to remove that. I followed the low acid diet as long as I was on a 160 mg daily dose of PPIs but have relaxed it a bit now that I'm on 40 mg a day. I also drink a glass of high pH (>8) water before bed since that inactivates the pepsin which "digested" my esophagus causing the bleed.

Dinner tonight was chicken bone broth and jello for me and stuffed peppers for DH.

• reader425

Maggie, I really appreciate the detail you provided. Because I was diagnosed as a young woman I developed fears. Your recent experiences encourage me about newer treatments and approaches. I am happy to get the cookbook and start working on changing some dietary things. And yes I am periodically anemic. So there are a lot of reasons for me to tighten control of this issue.

After a day at the beach we had seafood and salad at a local place. Yummy.

Mommy there's no place like home sometimes when it comes to cooking.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,378

Went fishing today and saw some beautiful coho caught, but not by us. It was still gorgeous out there…gray sky, misting, wind and a high of 55. LOVE it. August and I'm wearing my fall jacket. I could dance a jig.

I made goat loin in my air fryer. 6 minutes. Incredible and perfect. I didn't even have time to flip it over. Served with refried beans and slaw.

I had a nasty bout of reflux and all went calm after a year, but I learned about silent reflux. I had an endoscopy that showed mild inflammation. After scouring the internet, I found d-limonene not only helps with reflux, but it can heal damaged tissues. I can only find it on amazon but if I ever think I may get reflux, I take that and I've used DGL. Some people don't make enough stomach acid as we age, so taking a PPI can be counterproductive. Of course, figuring out which you are is the hard part, no kidding. Slippery elm, mastic gum, aloe vera capsules can all be helpful too. Trial and error. Some reflux is bile-related and taking something like tudca or digestive enzymes can help.

I also have an esophageal spasm but not where I thought it was, LOL.

• m0mmyof3

My aunt gave me some veggies out of her garden yesterday. So now I can stretch the food budget more. Today is more than likely going to be chicken for dinner.

• reader425
    edited August 24

We stopped at the farmers market and bought a lot of goodies. In addition to sweet corn we'll likely grill or maybe do the air fryer. Will report back.

• m0mmyof3

anyone know how to preserve fresh basil outside of putting it in water

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882

Wowza Special - what an ordeal. That would have my stomach tied up in knots. Hope you get resolution and answers soon. Hugs!

Mommy - I have dried basil in the microwave successfully. It's not nearly as potent as fresh. I usually have a few stems on my counter in water that last for months. The LED under cabinet lights act as grow lights. I can't use it fast enough.
    Knee recovery is coming along nicely. I finish pt next week but of course continue an at home program. I actually made a Costco run with no pain. Success! Really the only knee pain I have now is when I get up from a seated position and that has greatly improved. Carole - I hope they warned you about all the equipment involved with this procedure. It was mind boggling.

Dinner tonight is flank steak fajitas in the oven air fryer. My SIL gifted us a bag of peppers from her garden. The side will be some local corn off the cob with added peppers and onion.

• carolehalston

We seldom have the opportunity to buy meals from food trucks but lunch options at the Bluegrass Festival yesterday were provided by five or six food trucks. We had BLTs that were delicious. The young man preparing them had raised the golden heirloom tomatoes. And the mayo was aioli. A positive experience.

My dinner last night was warmed up pizza. DH shopped the refrigerator for his dinner.

Nance, such good news that you are more mobile these days.

Wally, what a pretty word picture of fishing. And envy for your gifted crab.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,688

Tonight’s seafood Saturday is Blackened Mahi Mahi with broccoli and Brown/wild rice. I cheated and used the uncle bens microwave rice cup but it was rubbery, won’t do that again, otherwise it was great.

• maggie15

Wally, I'm glad you had a good day fishing even though you didn't catch anything. It sounds like I may need to reconsider getting an air fryer.

m0mmy, I buy small fresh basil plants in the grocery store and cut off leaves as I need them. It's not quite like an indoor garden but a plant lasts me a month or two and I use lots of basil.

Nance, I'm glad your knee surgery was a success. Who ever thought one would be thrilled to go shopping and be able to stand to cook dinner? I hope your back feels better, too.

Carole, Heirloom veggies are so good. The varieties that become commercial are those which grow easily with big yields, not the tastiest ones. I’m glad that some farmers make the effort to preserve the delicious varieties.

Illimae, Your fish looks delicious. So does the rice but I now know to skip those microwave cups.

PPIs are a double edged sword given they can cause malabsorption, gastric cancer, kidney damage and dementia. My gastro's counter to my questioning their value was if it takes much longer than 6 hours for cancer, vitamin deficiency or dementia to kill you why would you choose to bleed to death? I did decline AIs since estrogen is protective for esophageal cancer. Medical issues are never straightforward.

Dinner tonight was a mango smoothie for me and barbecued chicken with corn on the cob for DH.

• laguna24

@maggie15 I was surprised to see reference to PPI in almost every post. My MO asked my GI to change it to H2 blocker, like Famotidine.

• maggie15

@laguna24 , While H2 blockers lower gastric acid PPIs are stronger and more effective at preventing upper GI bleeds. I have never been bothered by reflux pain but came close to not surviving an esophageal bleed six years ago. Erosive esophagitis and Barrett’s esophagus are two of the few conditions where indefinite PPI use is SOC. It’s true that some people take them longer than they should for other conditions. I hope the famotidine works for you.

• reader425

Success with the air fryer tonight. Used a simple recipe for chicken thighs sprayed with oil, salt and pepper. 20 minutes. They tasty. Not bad for a first try. I can envision using it periodically. We had the chicken with sweet corn 🌽 and leftover salad.

Illi your meal looks delicious.

Maggie and Laguna, empathizing here with the delicate balance of treating GI impacted conditions. Thankful for the new and newer meds and treatments.

• maggie15

Reader, The air fryer seems to be less complicated than I thought it was. I would just have to figure out where to keep it.

Dinner tonight was a banana smoothie and applesauce for me, fish and chips for DH.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Well - I was going to do sauteed onions & zucchini. Time got away from me so I made do with Planter's Cocktail peanuts. Hope the zucchini will last until tomorrow night.

• carolehalston

Grilled ribeye, mashed potatoes compliments of Bob, salad compliments of farmers market. Very tasty and easy.

• m0mmyof3

no clue

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882

It's blissfully quiet after a day of ripping and hammering of roofers replacing our hail damaged roof. This in 97° heat. Ours should be finished tomorrow but our whole subdivision of 88 villas is being replaced so we have four weeks of banging to enjoy. Yikes!

In spite of the heat, dinner tonight is chicken and andouille gumbo with brown rice from the freezer. This is mainly because I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand. Except for okra - no okra this time and I can't run to the store because we're blocked in by roofer's trucks. I'm just happy we have lots of shade trees for these guys to take breaks. It's brutal out there.

• laguna24

@maggie15 after 7 years on Arimidex I had so many GI issues as a SE (including small surgery) I had to stop AI. This time around I am on Letrozole with Kisqali and my GI issues are back. Hoping to mix H2 blockers with pH water and pH diet. Looks like it works at least for now.

• maggie15

Minus, You can always add tomatoes and basil if the zucchini is a bit past its prime.

Carole, Tasty and easy is good.

Laguna, I hope the H2 blockers and diet tweaks continue to work. The meds you have to take cause enough SEs without added GI pain.

Nance, That heat sounds brutal. I’m glad you had the ingredients for your dinner on hand and could enjoy it without the roofing noise.

Dinner tonight was oatmeal and bananas for me, chicken in a spinach/cherry tomato sauce for DH.