Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,224
    edited August 16

Special, I'm sorry you are being plagued by GI issues and gastroenterology scheduling problems. I sympathize; my insurance processed a claim from April wrong four times and finally fixed it yesterday. Of course the gastro office gave me a hard time at my appointment today and threatened not to do a procedure next week. Hopefully the payment will have made it to billing by then. Grrr!

Reader, I hope you enjoyed the pizza and you can get the mortgage issue straightened out on the first try.

Minus, Enjoy the scones. I might not have the discipline to make them last all year.

Dinner tonight was hot dogs.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,378
    edited August 16

Special, I'm so very sorry you are dealing with medical crap. I always get a sinking feeling when a bill or medical-anything shows up in the mail or requires attention and never mind actually GOING to a doctor. I hope you can figure all that out and get a decent outcome.

After our goat leg, I made a frittata yesterday and leftovers today.

Went fishing yesterday and no luck. Should have gone today (clouds) but forecast said sunny and it was sunny yesterday, so we sat home. We should be in the 60s all week, so maybe we can fish this weekend.

DH's dental appointment was less than ideal. Possibly more infection in bone. Not sure if missed initially, his compromised immune system, or introducing the prolia again because of the high calcium.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,074

We had hot dogs last night, too, with a salad.

Fingers crossed. We seldom (as in almost never) have problems with medical billing or orders for tests. DH is doing well now, taking the Eliquist. His loss of appetite has gone and shortness of breath is much better. I had not realized how ill he was feeling.

We were out and about yesterday morning in the drizzling rain, had breakfast at our favorite diner, ran errands and finally visited the new German supermarket, Aldi's. Bought a few things. It certainly has a different look from Walmart's and the other two supermarkets in town. Sterile? A lot of packaging.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,115

No "fun" dealing with insurance company and doctor office "miscommunications". I'd like to think it's because the folks writing things up are busy. But sometimes I wonder. :-) When giving my MIL's birth date as "1 June 37" I got asked, "Is that nineteen or twenty 37?" When I paused before answering, I was asked that same question again…… sigh….

• wallycat

Eric, yowie.

Carole, I miss having an Aldi!!!!!!!

Tuna steaks tonight; sweet potato side and not sure what green veg yet.

• maggie15

Wally, I’m sorry your DH might have more jawbone infection to deal with. According to my oral surgeon mandible osteomyelitis only occurs in those who are immunocompromised due to cancer or HIV. He's the one who diagnosed my bc (wasn’t picked up on mammograms by local docs.) Hopefully you’ll have better luck fishing this weekend.

Carole, I'm glad your DH is feeling better on Eliquis. It took a while to get used to Aldi's but I'm a fan since what they have is generally good and less expensive. I go there first and get anything I can't find elsewhere. They save money by putting items out in their cartons and not having many different brands.

Eric, Is that back to the future for your MIL? It's amazing how things that should be straightforward can go awry.

Dinner tonight was Austrian chicken with apple and cranberry on egg noodles (a pork recipe with chicken substituted.)

• carolehalston

Dinner last night was a flatbread pizza we bought at Aldi's. It was rectangular in shape which made for good "slices." The topping was good but the crust was probably thicker than I like.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,688

Minus, the low summer temps up here are usually in the mid 60’s and we have a great breeze with windows on all sides. DH is with his buddies, so it’s seafood Saturday for me with seared tuna, rice and asparagus.

• maggie15

Carole, I have used the refrigerated pizza dough from Aldi's but never bought a pizza there. The dough is OK but would not be easy to work with in a camper.

Illimae, Seafood Saturday has a nice ring to it.

Dinner tonight was meatballs in Rao’s on spaghetti.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,679

So anxious to get out of this hotel we are in right now and into a rental until next Spring. Already planning meals in my head for to celebrate being able to cook in a kitchen again.

• eric95us

The get together went well. Corn on the cob, beer brats, chicken, hamburgers, macaroni salad, mixed fruit…nothing fancy…but I was lucky enough to cook it all properly and have it all done at the same time…

It was three other couples that were all part of what was once a hiking club.

I'm still amused. Living in the Phoenix metro area, in 33 years, we "had company" twice. In Snowflake, it's a couple times per year. I'm guessing it's the climate.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Eric - I agree. Phoenix might be nice in February if you live in Maine, but the mountains are great. Your dinner sounds good. Love the crazy B-day question. How is your MIL doing BTW?

Mae - sounds like your "beach house" is delightful. Over 100 the last few days on the North side of my patio in the shade.

Carole - flatbread (Naan) pizza is about the only kind I make anymore. It's so easy for one. But I'm getting really hungry for a good Detroit pizza.

Wally - I've been to Aldi a couple of times but not enough to get used to the layout or the products.

Mommy - I can just imagine how hard it would be living in a hotel for more than a couple of days. The rental can't be too soon.

Special - thinking of you. And Nance!!

Dinner tonight will be Hatch Chili crab cakes from my Central Market haul. Think I'll serve them with a Whole Foods seven grain & lentil mix - one of those envelopes that pop in the micro & cook in 90 seconds.

• maggie15

Eric, Good timing having all parts of the meal ready at once.

m0mmy, Do you have a rental lined up? When I travel I try to find a hotel room with a kitchenette or an airbnb since I can’t eat inside a restaurant and microwaves only go so far when preparing meals.

Minus, Hatch Chili crab cakes sound good. I’ve never had crab with chiles but shrimp with chiles in CA was delicious.

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken breasts and asparagus.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Sadly the crab cakes were very disappointing. Part of the problem was not enough "bulk" (breading?) so they wouldn't hold together. But they were just blah. I ate one & started to put the other in the fridge, but decided if I didn't like it the first time it probably wouldn't get better. Directly to the garbage disposal.

Going to meet a friend in Conroe later this week to try a new supposedly authentic Mexican restaurant. Xalisco in the Woodlands. Menu looks interesting

• m0mmyof3

We’ve applied for a place, just waiting to hear if we were accepted.

• carolehalston

I made "stuffing" for dinner last night with two chicken thighs cooked in the slow cooker with a can of cream soup and a generous amount of butter added to a box of Stove Top. We substituted apple sauce for missing cranberry sauce. I know dh would have liked a little gravy. Side was delicious golden beets sliced and sprinkled with vinegar.

I set a trap for a mouse invader last night. As a lure I set a peanut on a paper towel nearby. Crafty creature ate the peanut and snapped the trap without getting caught. While that drama was going on sometime during the night, a bear visited Mary's deck next door, opened her outdoor refrigerator and helped himself/herself to contents. I saw the picture of the mess on Facebook this morning. Life in the campground. I'll get the story later on.

Tonight is Meatloaf Monday at Clancy's. Hopefully they won't be sold out tonight like the last Monday we ventured over for dinner.

• eric95us

The mice here are so small that it takes a tiny trap to "catch them". A regular sized trap just passes over them without catching them. Bears with the "munchies"!!!! They are smart…maybe not racoon level IQ, but still smart. :-)

I hope the apartment rental "happens". I know I would not like eating out all the time.

Minus…that is disappointing about the Hatch Chili crab cakes.

MIL's birthday issue was when I was calling a hospital to get some conflicting discharge orders corrected. I was half tempted to say "No. 1837" but they would have typed that in the computer and announced that no record was found…… At least it wasn't a "No! I said remove his spectacles" type of error. :-)

• wallycat

Goat ragu last night and for the next several nights.

Thunder and lightning here…2 days, rare in these parts.

• maggie15

Carole, DH is a master at setting traps with peanut butter and just the right amount of tension for catching mice. He honed those skills doing research with lab mice for five years. We live in town but border a large nature preserve; we have to keep the trash cans inside so bears and raccoons don't get access.

m0mmy, I hope you get the apartment and can start cooking again.

Minus, It's too bad those crab cakes didn't live up to their billing.

Dinner tonight was angus strip steak, sautéed mushrooms and sautéed baby potatoes.

• carolehalston

We drove the golf cart to Clancy's about 6 pm. No car traffic going or returning. No parking problems as often happens with driving the truck. DH had the meatloaf special and enjoyed it. Brought half of the generous portion home. I had a California burger which wasn't perfect to my standards but I enjoyed it. The burger patty was much larger than the bun and cooked too done. The fresh cut fries were good but the serving much too large. I hate wasting food.

Mouse No. 2 caught last night. On the bear saga, I was surprised at how filthy the refrigerator was, inside and out. A comic note. Mary has a big sign on the door, EATING HERE. Facebook friends laughed and commented, Yogi can read.

Back to cooking tonight.

• maggie15

Carole, It's good that Clancy's had meatloaf for your DH. Trapping mice is safer than trapping bears.

Dinner tonight was grilled Italian chicken, corn on the cob and boiled new potatoes.

• carolehalston

The star of last night's meal was fresh green beans with cubed new potatoes. The salad was lettuce from the farmers market, avocado and cucumber, also from the market. And blue cheese. The meat was pork chops.

I think tonight will be cabbage and canned corn beef, an experiment. I bought the cabbage (and cucumbers) from the Amish tent, which is next to ours at the market. I plan to slice the corned beef and just warm it on top of the cooked cabbage.

I didn't catch another mouse last night. Hoping there aren't any more to catch.

• m0mmyof3

We are renting a house as of yesterday afternoon. So relieved that I can cook in my own place and for less than what take-out costs!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 924

Tonight DH unexpectedly went out with my brother so I had delicious Thai leftovers. A meal I never had before - garlic vegetables with shrimp. For those who like garlic the broth was perfect, even the second time around.

A major event today was completely taking things out of my pantry and reorganizing. When we moved I ran out of energy for that and we've been just shoving things in since. It was a task I was happy to check off after many months!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,688

Chili dogs with cheese and onions on split top buns tonight.

Chicken Cesar salad tomorrow, if the bagged salad is still good.

• maggie15
    edited August 22

m0mmy, So glad you got the rental so that you can cook and spread out again.

Carole, Your farmer’s market veggies sound delicious. Hopefully you have seen the end of the mice.

Reader, Yay for getting your pantry organized. I love garlic so your dinner sounds wonderful.

Back in Boston so dinner was Legal Seafood clam chowder with a crabcake for me (no chiles) and fish and chips for DH. I’ll be on a restricted diet for the next week so the memory will have to last.

• carolehalston

Clam chowder. Yum. Crab cake. Yum. New England food envy. Not to be judgmental, but I would never combine chilis and crab meat, which has its own mild wonderful flavor.

Our stove top cabbage and carrot dish was delicious. I did dice up a couple slices of bacon from Aldi's and sauté it as step one. I warmed the slices of canned corned beef in the microwave. Our side was sliced golden beets in white balsamic vinegar.

Tonight is pizza at a pizza place in town. We have never eaten their pizza and are meeting our farmers market friends Judy and Ron. They live in Park Rapids.

Tomorrow we have tickets for the blue grass festival in Pine River, an annual event.

• m0mmyof3

Gotta get some cheap cookware until I can get to my own down in storage. Plus need some cheap plates too.

I am already trying to plan a meal for either tonight or tomorrow night.

• eric95us

mOm….…dreaming of cooking… I can understand that… :-)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,245

Continuing with the sporadic cooking - but it has also been hot so we have done several main dish salads, including last night - chef's salad with roast beef, hardboiled egg, and cheddar cheese. DH had blue cheese and I had homemade ranch. Almost everything is out of DD's old place, except for the large aquariums - salt water. Those move this weekend. They are now in that in between stage of being moved out of the old place, not fully moved into the new place. We made some progress yesterday with that. I still need to paint one room asap, and another whenever. DD is having the barn cleaned (yay! was worried we were going to have to tackle it - too many spiders!) and an extension put on the chicken coop. I think I will be back to spending most of my time in my own house instead of hers very shortly. Thank goodness! Dinner tonight will be either be meatloaf with roasted potatoes and broccoli, or rigatoni with marinara, meatballs, and fresh mozzarella - both the meatloaf and pasta were in the freezer.

I have been taking whatever spare moments I have to plan two trips - our annual pilgrimage to Colorado in mid-Sept., and a trip in Oct. for leaf-peeping with an old friend. We have not decided whether to go to the northeast, or stay closer and do North and South Carolina. November will include a visit from SIL, and possibly a trip to CA for BFF's back surgery. IF the back surgery goes well BFF will come to FL for a visit just before Christmas, as she has for the last few years.

I have to fast after midnight for a test tomorrow - nuclear imaging and cardiac stress test. The last of my cardiac workup - I have read all the reports in the portal, nothing glaring on EKG, echo, or the Heart CT - except for mention of "emphysematous changes" which does not sound good, but also explains why I thought I was having more trouble with asthma. Like lung CA in non-smokers, this can happen as well. I hate being an outlier…

I finally persevered with the GI imaging appt. OMG - 7 tries for the right referral and more than a month since the failed colonoscopy. I finally stayed in the parking lot of the doctor's office and uploaded the form (two of the seven tries) just in case I had to go back in and have something changed. Unfortunately they could not schedule this test until AFTER my already scheduled gastro follow-up, so now I have to reschedule that. They better not make me wait another six weeks for it like they did for the one I will now have to cancel. This is non-screening, it is diagnostic, so in my mind there should be some urgency. I am over it…Lol!