Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,115
    edited September 7

No…bus to Phoenix and plane to Maryland. I try to fly to Phoenix and spend the night in Phoenix at a friend's house so that Sharon doesn't have to do the 8 hour round trip drive. Using the airline, flying or shuttle, is 1/2 the price of a "regular" Show Low to Phoenix shuttle.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,074

Dinner last night was fresh green beans cooked with a cubed new potato. Instead of water I use chicken broth. The beans were delicious. The other dish was breaded and fried eggplant which was also delicious. We used Thousand Island dressing as a condiment. The eggplant, purchased at the market, was very long, about 12 inches, and 3 to 4 inches in diameter. It had no seeds and was very sweet. I peeled it before slicing into medallions.

Dessert was orange cookies Mary baked yesterday. She uses fresh orange juice in the dough and the icing has orange zest. Melt in your mouth deliciousness.

It's in the 40's this morning. I am so-o-o-o glad not to be at the farmers market.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,224

Carole, Cooking the veggies in chicken broth is a delicious idea. It’s good you could spend the cold morning indoors.

Minus, My kids call an open faced grilled cheese, tomato, onion and chutney on bread a “Kim sandwich” after the South African babysitter who made them. The sandwich is called braaibroodjies in Afrikaans which they couldn’t pronounce so Kim will be remembered forever in our family.

Dinner tonight was grilled teriyaki chicken breasts, corn on the cob and potato salad.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,378

Carole, 40 sounds glorious. We have had 2 days that hit 80…in September!! UGH…can't wait for the cool down. Grateful our Seattle trip got pushed a little over a week. It was 90 the day we were supposed to be there. And so happy to hear you and DH are felling better.

I use Better Than Bouillon (costco) on occasion when I want to steam or braise veggies; that allows me to make it as concentrated (or not) as I want. That is what I did with our cabbage tonight…braised with shiitake and jalapeno. Broiled a copper river coho and used the leftover sweet potato.

• carolehalston

I use chicken broth granules. A low sodium product. A packet makes 1 cup of chicken broth. Very convenient.

I made stewed chicken for dinner last night with four chicken thighs, bone in skin on. My mother made this, using a whole chicken that she cut up into pieces. Flour the chicken and fry until browned on both sides. Pour off excess oil. Add chicken broth, cover and simmer. A gravy forms and the chicken gets very tender. I added a small amt. of flour and water slurry. Served with mashed potatoes.

My mother had a large cast iron skillet with high sides and a lid. This was the pot she used for making stewed chicken and some other dishes. I think my brother Gary has the skillet.

• maggie15

Carole, Those old cast iron skillets are the best. My sister has my grandmother’s.

Dinner tonight was meatballs in Rao’s on spaghetti.

• carolehalston

Maggie, you are right. Rao's alfredo sauce is worth the price. I used some cooked linguini in the freezer last night with a jar of the Rao's. Added some shrimp my neighbor gave me. She was making the same dish with shrimp and had extra. They were large and had little taste, the reason I don't bother to buy frozen shrimp here in MN. I'm sure Mary's jarred alfredo sauce wasn't Rao's.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

I haven't tried the Rao's Alfredo, although I use their Marinara exclusively. I'll have to put it on my list.

I've been charging up flashlights & portable lamps - although a bulletin I saw this morning said the upcoming Francine is turning more to the East. Every day brings new excitement.

• maggie15

Carole, The best shrimp definitely comes from the Gulf. Some of that tasteless shrimp is farmed and frozen. I hope the Rao’s was enough to make dinner taste good.

Minus, You have had more than your fair share of power outages this year. I hope Francine decides to go elsewhere.

Dinner tonight was meatloaf cockaigne made with ground chicken, mashed potatoes and sautéed zucchini.

• minustwo

Maggie - I had to lookup cockaigne. Still not sure how you made your meatloaf.

Today's meals had to fit in around a Zoom Civic Club meeting. Cheerios w/ milk mid afternoon and a couple of hours later, an English muffin with peanut butter.

• carolehalston

The dreaded "cone" of the hurricane seems to be headed our way in Louisiana.

The dinner menu last night was one meal of linguine alfredo and one meal of chicken and mashed potatoes. DH chose the chicken and mashed potatoes. I would have been happy with either choice. The linguine alfredo was delicious the second time around.

Dessert was a yummy rhubarb crumble Mary made yesterday with vanilla ice cream. She provided the ice cream, too.

• wallycat

Minus and Carole, hope all will be OK with your homes, power, blah, blah. Power outages are the worst. And Carole, being away and not knowing how it will look…ugh.

Capresse salad last night.

• maggie15

Minus, The meatloaf cockaigne recipe is from The Joy of Cooking: ground chicken (or beef), bread crumbs (bagged stuffing for me), black olives, garlic, tarragon, chives, basil, parsley and good old cream of mushroom soup. The spices are what gives it its flavor.

Carole, Yum on the rhubarb crumble. Hopefully Francine misses your home, too.

Dinner tonight was skillet chicken cordon bleu.

• wallycat

Frozen grass fed burger made in the air fryer…learning curve; black beans and roasted cauliflower.

• minustwo

I took one of my good friends out to eat today. It was the one year anniversary of her husband's death and I didn't think she needed to be alone. Her choice was a family owned BBQ place that is more Carolina than Texas that we both like. I had a pulled pork sandwich with so much meat on the bun I could only finish half. Sure glad I hadn't ordered sides. 10 hours later and I am still so full I can hardly move.

Maggie - thanks for the Joy of Cooking meatloaf tip. I still have that book. I agree that the spices would add a lot.

• carolehalston

Last night's dinner was a frozen pizza heated (burned) in the grill/oven on a stone. DH ate two pieces and a bowl of pasta salad containing red onions that Mary brought over. I sprinkled pepper flakes on my larger share of the pizza. I'm promising myself I will make homemade pizza during our months at home.

Tonight we're meeting Judy and Ron, our Park Rapids friends we met when they were vendors at the farmers market, at a pub style restaurant in town. They haven't eaten there, nor have we. This will probably be a goodbye get together. I'm assuming the menu will be pub food, mainly hamburgers.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,679

Dinner at my aunt’s tonight as a cousin I haven’t seen since I was little is visiting from out West!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,245

DH has returned from the Keys so I am back to more normal meals, plus we need to use up stuff in the fridge before leaving for CO next week. I found a tri-tip in the freezer so pulled it out and have been marinating it since yesterday. I plan to roast it rather than grill it, and put some potatoes tossed in olive oil, S&P, and garlic powder in at the same time so they roast too. The other side will be a green bean almondine/gremolata situation.

mommy - enjoy your visit!

carole - glad you and DH have recovered!

In continuing ridiculous news on the GI front - I had yet to see the CT Colonography result in my patient portal (scan was done a week ago last Friday) so I stopped at the gastroenterology office. They don't have any results either… if I have to repeat this test I may just scream…that would be three colonoscopy preps in the same number of months. Also, turns out the doc really wanted contrast but they did not use it, they instead used air as they have changed the process of how they do this test, but the concern is whether it shows as much detail apparently. Ugh. This is the only hospital locally that does this type of CT, but it turns out my SIL also has to have this over a regular colonoscopy for the same reason - too super loopy for the scope without concern about perforation. They live one county over, and my BIL is a gastroenterologist also, so I will be talking to them to A) see where she gets this done, and B) what does BIL think about the no contrast.

I will be going to CA again in late Oct to help out my BFF who is having back surgery. She is single with no local family so I need to help her. I had a previously scheduled labs/annual visit with my primary care that occurs right in the middle of this trip. I have now rescheduled for February, which is better anyway because of the delays with the GI stuff. I am hoping we have all that done and settled by then! I did complete the cardiac work up with the cardiologist who specializes in oncology patients. I am adopted so have no access to family history, and she was very thorough. Results indicate great heart health except for elevated cholesterol (it jumped precipitously when I had a complete hyst/ooph prior to the BC diagnosis - so, no estrogen drove the number up) and a mild case of regurgitation in the tricuspid valve, no biggie. I had previously taken a statin but went off when I was on anti-hormonals because too many body parts were hurting. I have no problem going back on, filled the Rx today, but will wait until I get back from CO to start because too many of the side effects are the same as altitude sickness, lol! Additionally, I have a mildly elevated A1c, so I need to clean up my diet a bit and see if I can bring it down before Feb by doing that. One of the things the cardiologist mentioned was the impact of breast cancer treatment on metabolic syndrome - which I found interesting, as anecdotally the symptoms are mentioned frequently on this site by members. The only other finding was an incidental one - but a surprise - "emphasematous changes" or COPD. I have never smoked or worked around hazardous chemicals. I am always the outlier… I don't know anything yet about severity, but have been referred to the pulmonary folks for a low-dose chest CT and consult.

• minustwo
    edited September 11

Maggie: tried the Cockaigne meatloaf with tarragon & garlic & onion and used heavy cream with an egg & Panko. It was really good but it doesn't taste like my Mother's meatloaf. Well - we all know how those memories sit on our tongues.

Carole - hope your sister is safe. We only got 1/4" of rain in Houston. But September is far from over….

• maggie15

Minus, I love vinegar based bbq which was the standard in northern AL but is difficult to find in New England. There was also a white bbq sauce used for chicken (it had mayo in it) that I have never seen elsewhere. I’m glad the meatloaf worked out. My mother was not a great cook so I’m happy when what I make tastes different from her version.

Carole, Homemade pizza is worth the effort but hard to make in close quarters. I hope your sister is weathering the storm.

mommy, It must be nice living close to relatives again especially when those who live far away return home to visit.

Special, I’m sorry the GI test problems continue. Hopefully your other medical issues turn out to be minor. Your friend in CA must really appreciate your visiting to help her after surgery.

Dinner tonight was pistachio crusted salmon with sautéed parsnips and potatoes.

• m0mmyof3

It was a wonderful dinner at my aunt’s. My cousin and I had a lovely visit.

• maggie15

Dinner tonight was steak, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and potato salad.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882
    edited September 13

Carole I sincerely hope all is well with your family and property. Francine is due to send us some much needed rain though not the massive amounts hitting the south. Minus I'm glad you dodged a bullet

Last night was breakfast for dinner, specifically "Spanish " omelets (cheese, onions, peppers, salsa). This is not uncommon when we have a large/late lunch, which is what happened yesterday.

Tonight's dinner was at a favorite local Italian joint. I had linguine con pesce (my usual) and DH had manicotti. It was all delicious with enough leftovers for lunch.

Maggie - as soon as I saw the word "cockaigne" I knew it was a Joy of Cooking recipe lol

Special - yikes!

• minustwo

Today was my "errand" day. I went to have my hearing aids checked, to Costco and to Kroger. But in spite of all the new food in the fridge, my meal today was a large bowl of popcorn with extra melted butter. I managed to get the tails off the shrimp since the garbage PU is tomorrow - so tomorrow I'll have to do something with boiled shrimp. Hmmmm. And I'll probably have to freeze most of the leftover meatloaf.

• carolehalston

Dinner last night was breaded pork chops and mac and cheese.

I have the old and the revised Joy of Cooking. I once used the original one as an encyclopedia of cooking knowledge.

I'm happy to report that my family survived Francine without damage to body or property. We learned from our neighbor that our house generator ran during a power outage and turned off when power was restored.

• maggie15

Nance, I love manicotti but always wimp out and stuff large shells instead. It’s not quite the same, though.

Minus, Sometimes you just have to eat what you feel like. Carole recently made shrimp in Alfredo sauce which sounded good. Shrimp in Rotel tomatoes with garlic, green pepper, and onion on rice is quick and easy.

Carole, Good to hear that your family weathered Francine and your generator worked as it should have.

Dinner tonight was oven fried chicken breasts with asparagus and mashed potatoes.

• carolehalston

Last night was BLTs. The bread was toasted bread that we buy here but can't find at home. A whole grain bread, Dakota style. We have slowed down on devouring tomatoes just as Mary's three tomato plants have kicked into gear after a slow start, thanks to cool spring weather.

Tonight's dinner is supposed to be beef roast sandwiches over on Mary's deck. She had small beef roasts left in her freezer and is contributing them to the meal.

• m0mmyof3

Using the leftover chili mac and stuffing green peppers with it

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 76

@m0mmyof3 I rediscovered stuffed peppers recently after not having them for ages… now I'm obsessed. A chili stuffing sounds easy in a pinch. Would smother with jack cheese…

Simple seafood dinner tonight… shrimp sautéed in olive oil with some salt and chopped garlic. Fresh steamed yellow beans. Rice seasoned with chicken bouillon on the side.

• maggie15

Carole, Tomato plants never yield in a predictable manner; you just have to use the tomatoes when they come.

m0mmy, Stuffing peppers is a great way to use up leftover chili mac.

Doodler, Your dinner sounds delicious. I haven’t had fresh yellow beans for far too long.

Dinner tonight was chicken parmigiana on penne with a salad.