Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,378

Last night, copper river with refried black beans and steamed cauliflower. Leftovers tonight with peas instead of refried beans.

Went fishing this afternoon but no luck. Gorgeous out….the clouds rolled in, the wind picked up and the ripple on the water had portended a catch, but it was not to be. 62 out and enjoying August this year.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Maggie - Finally got to the zucchini tonight. Luckily it was not too far past prime since I had no tomatoes. Sauteed in avocado oil with onions. Delicious. Now I REALLY do have to get to the store tomorrow or it will be "Beenie Weenies" with English muffins.

Oh Wally - be still my heart - both for the copper river and the day on the water.

Nance - glad to hear you are doing OK even if we're not 25 anymore.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,074

Our bout of hot weather has gone away, thank goodness. High will be in low 70's today. No a/c. Yay.

Dinner last night was boneless chicken thighs, breaded and browned in a skillet. Mac and cheese compliments of ole Bob.

Labor Day is the last hurrah of summer here in Pine Hollow. Next Saturday is the potluck get together. By the end of September most folks have winterized their campers and we will have done the same. I have enjoyed this summer in MN but am ready to go home to my house comforts like a large kitchen and dishwasher.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 924

Safe travels home Carole!

Dinner tonight is TBD. It's still hot here and I haven't felt like cooking. Possibly leftover lasagna and salad.

Since the weather here is the most intemperate here in July and August, I am looking forward to fall.

• wallycat

Carole, safe travels. I miss living in the midwest. Lots of amazing things in this area, but Wisconsin will always feel like home. I'm glad the summer was good to you.

I'm making a pork stir fry for tonight.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,224

Carole, A rudimentary kitchen is probably worth escaping the LA heat and humidity but it will be nice to return to a large kitchen with all your cookware and appliances.

Wally, Fishing in beautiful weather like that is wonderful even if you don't catch anything.

Minus, I think the prospect of "Beenie Weenies" would send me grocery shopping. They are fine during a power outage but you have had more than your fair share of emergency eating already this year.

Reader, Stick to easy until the weather cools down.

Dinner tonight was scrambled eggs for me. DH also had them but got bacon and home fries as well.

• minustwo

Maggie - I skipped the 'Beenie Weenies" and actually had one of my favorite meals - maccaroni & butter.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,679

Hubby took me out to dinner last night to celebrate getting my diploma in the mail

• carolehalston

My post was misleading. We're not heading south until the end of September unless a change in weather alters our planned departure. A change involving snowflakes. LOL. Some of the locals have mentioned the possibility of snow in September.

Last night's dinner was a hot dog for each of us and a too-large tossed salad. We couldn't eat all of it.

• m0mmyof3

Hamburgers and chips tonight

• wallycat

My stir fry last night worked out SO well that I'd wished I made enough for leftovers. We probably ate more than we "needed" to.

Broccoli and cannellini bean frittata with sharp cheddar. I sometimes top mine with salsa as a "sauce."

• minustwo

Wally - I often feel that way about stir fry. I LOVE leftovers.

My ex-DH called to see if he could take me to lunch at a hole in the wall 'country kitchen' that has the best patty melts in 100 miles. Well of course - so I had to put the pork chops that I bought Monday in the freezer. He likes to eat shortly after 11am and I'm not usually hungry that early. But the fries were delicious and I brought 1/2 of the patty melt (on REAL rye) home for tomorrow.

Carole - snow in September??? Hard to feel it when we finally just got down to 80 AT NIGHT. But I won't be surprised if we have yet another tropical storm this year.

Special - hope you're feeling better. I can't remember and am too lazy to read back… Is your CO property by Colorado Springs? Or closer to Salida? Or over on the Gunnison side?

• maggie15

m0mmy, Congrats on getting that diploma to frame. I hope you enjoyed your celebration dinner.

Carole, Snow in September seems a bit early but must be possible if it's in the forecast. My most depressing early snow story comes from my second year living in Scotland when it snowed on the 4th of July and school was still in session.

Wally, What was in your stir fry besides pork?

Minus, I’m glad you had a good lunch out with leftovers for tomorrow.

Dinner tonight was noodles and butter for me (Thanks, Minus.) DH had Swedish meatballs and sauce on his noodles.

• wallycat

I used pork country style ribs (so really, butt), marinated in soy, garlic, sake and ginger. Braised that for about 1-1/2 hours, added a red onion sliced in 1/2 crescents, broccoli and some water. When the broccoli was tender, I added a cornstarch slurry. Served with short grain brown rice.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,115

Pizza at a restaurant in Alpine, AZ. It's over 8,000 feet elevation…and cold and rainy

• carolehalston

Last night was Rao's with ground beef, tossed with linguini. Shredded romano. And slices of sour dough bread from the market.

Today a pot roast is cooking in the slow cooker. I'll prep the veggies later.

• maggie15

Wally, Thanks for the recipe; it sounds delicious. DH can’t abide broccoli but I'll make it for myself sometime.

Eric, One and a half mile high pizza. I love the mountains but have to stay under 4500 ft now. At least the local mountains are older and have a tree line around 4000 ft so I can pretend I'm high up.

Carole, Pot roast is well worth making for a good meal and the leftovers.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon, sweet potatoes and sautéed yellow squash; I got to eat it, too.

• carolehalston

Glad you got to share dh's meal, Maggie.

DH was up at 6:30 (golf day) and turned on the heat pump to take the chill out of the camper. It will be warming up during the days but the nights will cool down. We're starting to see change of color in leaves.

The pot roast and veggies tasted good and leftovers for another meal.

• wallycat

Maggie, you can put in any veg you want; I made this up as I went along and had broccoli to use. Zucchini, cauli, shredded cabbage, even green beans, would all work well.

I'm also using my crockpot today. I dry-rubbed a leg of goat with Indian spices, and diced up some onions and let it hang out in the fridge overnight. Got it cooking when I woke. I've got some leftover rice from the stir fry along with the broccoli.

• m0mmyof3
    edited August 30

Chicken, a salad and a veggie

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882

Last night was a stir fry using leftover flank steak, a really nice vegetable medley from Costco (frozen) and soba noodles. Pretty tasty.

Minus - I'm a big macaroni and butter fan too. Sometimes with a grating of cheese - often not. It's something I'd eat more often if it was just me and its always something I have on hand.

Wally- I envy your fishing trips. DH and I fished often but haven't been for several years. We were mostly catch and release but I loved it and miss it.

Carole - I'm not living in a camper but my kitchen is easily one fourth the size of my old kitchen. I find myself cooking smaller as a result. Maybe not a bad thing with all of my current infirmities. It's certainly easier to keep clean. But I do miss my island.

Tonight is a bacon, cheddar and spinach quiche (using a Marie Callender frozen pie crust) and Caesar salad This is me taking shortcuts again

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 76

After a very tiring day, week (heck, year), I decided to skip cooking supper and went to a mall food court.

I went to a place called Bourbon Grill, I think. Assumed it was southern style BBQ type cuisine, which was most of it. But it also seems to have a menu resembling a Chinese take out, with egg rolls and Asian-style noodles? Southern/Chinese fusion takeout? It was different, but it was OK for an evening when I wanted carbs and zero cooking effort!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,245

mommy - congrats on the diploma!! Yay!

minus - our CO property is in Breckenridge, and we are now still looking in Summit County in case there is a miracle and we can afford something already built (haha!), but also looking in Chaffee County, west of CO Springs, and Park County, which is next to Summit.

auntie - your shortcut sounds delicious!

doodler - a Southern Chinese mashup sounds interesting, but also delicious!

Today I went for the CT Colonography - had to do a colonoscopy prep like normal so I have not eaten in about two days at this point. DH has mostly been eating bagged salad with protein and avocado on top. The exam was interesting - turns out the twisty part that caused the colonoscopy fail is only a thankfully small part of the colon, the rest was normal. Also, I had a female tech, which was nice and I could tell they seem to assign female patients for this test a female tech, and male patients a male tech since it is a bit personal and you're awake! My follow up with the GI doc is not until 10/9 - my birthday. The saving grace is that I am leaving right afterward for a road trip with a friend. I should be able to see the colonography report in my portal next week so I will parse what is written. I am not anticipating anything alarming, I think they just had to order this because of the failed earlier test. Since no biopsies could be obtained in the earlier exam I am not sure what the next steps will be. Will report back.

• auntienance

Special - here's hoping for unremarkable!

• maggie15

The leaves are starting to change where I live, too. Fall is my favorite season so I’m happy. Of course, I don't have a long trip south ahead of me.

Nance, Shortcuts are smart cooking. I eat quiche for the filling, not the crust.

Doodler, I’ve been to the Bourbon St. Grill in Waterloo and it was a crazy mix of cajun/creole/asian dishes. I guess there’s something for every taste and, as you said, someone else does the cooking.

Dinner tonight was chicken breast pieces in an artichoke/sundried tomato sauce over radiatori pasta.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,688

Looks like my 2nd week post chemo is the toughest for eating but I’ve discovered that I can happily eat a box of Betty Crocker au graten potatoes all to myself, which was lunch and dinner, lol

• minustwo

Mae - sorry for the rough week but kudos for the Betty Crocker. For many years I served those au graten potatoes at least once a month. Not the same as my Mother's home made, but were great after working all day & then having to create a meal.

Maggie - I had to look up "radiatori pasta". Not something I'd ever heard before.

Special - my ex-DH grew up in Salida after his Dad decided he needed to learn about the land and moved them from Houston. We sort of headquartered there for every summer vacation & roamed the mountains. Love Chaffee county. I too hope your results are not remarkable.

Nance - so glad to see you more often. Are you through with doctors for the time being?

Wally - I envy the fishing. I prefer salt water fishing or mountain steams - but much Texas prefers lake fishing. I am going to try the pork/veggie combo.

Hi to everyone else.

Dinner was an omelette with mushrooms & Havarti paired with an English Muffin (and butter of course). I had planned pork chops, but the day got away from me. So chops tomorrow. I have three sauces lined up un-opened that I had to replace after the storms: Bibigo Korean Marinade & BBQ, Trader Joe's Sweet Chili, and Hoisin sauce - as well as a new one I haven't tried yet - Bachan's Original Japanese BBQ Sauce.

• maggie15

Illimae, In the 18th and early 19th centuries the Irish in the west lived long and healthy lives eating just potatoes and milk which is why the potato famine was so devastating. Your au gratin potatoes are a nutritionally balanced meal, lol.

Minus, The Japanese BBQ sauce sounds interesting. Let us know how it tastes when you try it.

Special, Hopefully that is the end of the GI investigations and you can enjoy your road trip.

Dinner tonight was BBQ chicken with onions and potato salad.

• carolehalston

Dinner tonight was the Labor Day potluck. Sloppy Joes, potato salad, baked beans, pasta salad, and appetizers and desserts. Now a corn hole competition is in progress.

• auntienance
    edited September 1

Minus - We love the Bibigo Korean BbQ sauce and in fact, had it on chicken tonight. To answer your question, I'm through with PT and the knee doc for a couple of months but still need to see the back doc. I put it off while all the knee stuff was going on but now that I don't have that distraction I need to find it what my back options are.

Tonight was the aforementioned grilled chicken, some delicious local corn on the cob (sadly the last of the season), a few hush puppies from the freezer and some wonderful sugar kiss cantaloupe. A perfect end of summer meal.