Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,263

Nance - Hooray. One thing to cross off the list. Good luck with the back doc. Please do let us know. I'm thinking maybe you recommended the Bibigo Korean sauce in the first place. It's yummy.

Maggie- I will report on the Bachan's Japanese sauce. I bought the 'original' but I saw several other flavors at Target & Costco.

Finally, the pork chops for dinner Thin chops that I sauteed in avocado oil then sprinkled with Sage & braised (covered) on top of the stove for 35 minutes in in a combination of Sauvignon Blanc white wine & Mirin Japanese rice wine & a splash of water. A friend called with a problem while they were cooking & I was afraid they would be too dry, but they were just right. I ate two with some Bob Evans mashed potatoes. Dessert was a new (to me) refrigerated jello pudding that was on sale last week - Girl Scout Coconut Carmel pudding w/crumbled cookie pieces to stir in.

Tomorrow I'll likely do something with rice & the leftover pork chops & some fresh spinach.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,069

We're going out to dinner tonight at Blueberry Pines Golf Course restaurant with Dorothy Carlson, a summer friend whose husband passed away last summer. His death was a shock and she is struggling with grief and, sadly, seems to be losing the battle. She's a tall woman and was slender when Carl passed. She has lost 40 lbs. I hope she can find a way to go on with life.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,377

Carole, my heart goes out to your friend. My sister is 1 year and 4 months out. She lost about 35 pounds but has regained some of it. She actually just phoned me, sobbing, so it comes in waves. I hope she has people around her that can be there for her once the summer is over and she returns to her other residence.

We are nearly finished with the goat. A few shreds of meat left that I may turn into a ramen noodle bowl of sorts for tomorrow.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,217

Carole, I hope you enjoy your dinner out. It’s hard when you feel powerless to help a friend who seems caught in emotional “quicksand.”

Nance, I also hate to see the end of the local fresh corn on the cob.

Minus, I’m amazed how many desserts out there are inspired by Girl Scout cookies. I occasionally buy the Aldi copycat versions of thin mints and Samoas.

Wally, You seem to be an expert at using up all your leftovers in creative ways. DH claims food more than a day old gives him migraines (some evidence for that) but it bothers me to throw it out.

Dinner tonight was steak, potato salad and corn on the cob from a farm stand.

• minustwo

Maggie - I'm interested - what is the evidence that leftovers causes migranes?

Meals were a cup of All Bran. Then later in the day - a bunch of Ruffles with Hidden Valley Ranch dip.

• carolehalston

My dinner at Blueberry GC restaurant was very good. A large Walleye fillet pan fried, green beans and my odd choice of side, sweet potato fries. DH had the same except for the side. He chose side salad. And ate some of my fries. Dorothy had steak tips and ate maybe a third of the serving.

Tonight will be leftover pot roast and fresh green beans from Dorothy's garden.

Our next door neighbor, Lyman, does not eat leftovers. Mary cuts roasts into small chunks sized for one meal. They're both Norwegians and love potatoes. They grew up without eating rice. I grew up eating potatoes but we ate rice almost daily whenever there was gravy. My mother cooked a lot of meats with gravy to feed a large family.

It was in the low 50's this morning. The heat pump is running, making it cozy inside the camper.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,674

Steak, salad and corn on the cob tonight

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 75

A light supper tonight… I stayed pretty sedentary for most of the long weekend, I had earned some relaxation. So a light supper suited me this evening. Sliced baked ham from the freezer, with cherry tomatoes and noodles. Basically using up leftovers…

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882

A lovely sunny day in the 70s - just about perfect.

Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend.

It's been a long time since I had walleye Carole. Sounds delicious.

Tonight's offering is a grilled tri-tip, baked beans and sliced tomatoes. Pretty easy.

• maggie15

Minus, The level of tyramine increases in leftovers and can trigger migraines along with nitrates, wine, chocolate and aged cheese. That's another reason we rarely eat out since it is hard to know exactly what the ingredients of a dish are. Here's a quick reference.

https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/tyramine-and-migraines

Carole, DH grew up in Ireland and never had rice, probably because it is not grown there. Potatoes were plentiful however. When I lived in Ireland/Scotland I had a small dorm style fridge like everyone else at that time so I would have to shop often. Veggies were the few varieties that could be grown in the local climate or in tins (pretty much beans and mushy peas.) I once spent a small fortune to buy broccoli from Spain just to eat something green. A supermarket opened in Edinburgh in 1980 but the teensie freezer meant that I could only store one or two packs of frozen veggies at a time. Things are quite different over there nowadays.

Doodler, That sounds like a tasty combo of leftovers.

Dinner tonight was chicken noodle soup since we ruined our appetites by going out for ice cream this afternoon. Well worth it!

• minustwo

Carole - oh my, low 50's. I thought we were really on to something of a 'cold snap' with a low of 76 last night. Not fall yet!!!

The Bachan's Original Japanese BBQ sauce was quite good. I put a bit on white rice. Very thin liquid - "savory-sweet recipe of soy, Mirin, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar & green onions". Non-GMO, BPA free, cold filled, preservative free.

I can see using it on lots of vegetables. I would like it to be more bitter but still a success.

• maggie15

Minus, Thanks for your report on the Bachan’s Japanese BBQ sauce. I’m going to look for it in the store and try it.

Dinner tonight was roasted chicken breast with root vegetables in a shallot mustard sauce.

• minustwo

DInner was left over pork chops, sliced very thin and mixed with a bit of boullion to moisten. Then served over (wait for it….) Stove Top Stuffing. Oh well - we can't all be purists every night.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 923

My dinner was Minus style 😋 ...a turkey roll- up, cookies. A number of cookies. And Kendall Jackson chardonnay. As the night wore on I added peanut butter on crackers. I didn't need that much food but have to say I enjoyed it.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,245

DH is going down to the Keys with his brother, nephew and a friend for some days of fishing and hanging out. I decided to make a banana bread with pecans and mini chocolate chips for him to take - I had some antique bananas and all the other ingredients, so it is in the oven baking now. He is leaving at O dark thirty to drive down to Ft. Myers to catch the ferry with the friend, bro and son are driving and towing the boat. Dinner tonight will be sliced and pan cooked turkey kielbasa with some veggies, likely over brown rice. My meals will be interesting while he is gone, since it is just me. I may minus-style some stuff also!

minus - nothing wrong with some Stove Top. I sometimes cook the thin pork chops (they often are labeled breakfast chops in the store, I guess because they cook fast?) by "breading" them on both sides in cornstarch and then marinating in a soy/sesame oil/green onion for just an hour. Seems weird to cornstarch them and then put them in liquid, but the cornstarch adheres and makes a kind of sauce with the marinade - pan cook them over relatively high heat. Quick and easy - but the marinade could also be the sauce you mentioned in a post above.

carole - your friend sounds like my MIL after my FIL died - she could not proceed and nothing gave her joy. Her BFF was the opposite - engaged in activities and with others, and lived her life in a new way. She would have rather had her spouse, but she adapted very well. It is such a hard thing and I guess it is difficult to know how we all will react.

auntie - glad things are progressing, and I will be curious about how things go with your back. Mine is still causing trouble, but on fewer days. I tried a prescription strength lidocaine patch yesterday along with Advil Dual Action (Tylenol and Advil together in one pill) and got a lot of relief. The Dual Action on its own only dulls, so this was progress. I can't attribute why some days are more painful than others, which is frustrating.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,377

I'm envious of the walleye!!

I caught my first salmon 2 nights ago. It was gorgeous…but it was wild (we are only allowed to keep hatchery fish), so back to the ocean he went.

Tuna melts last night.

Maybe hot dogs and beans tonight.

• maggie15

Minus, Bon Appetit magazine tested prepared stuffing mixes and Stove Top Herb won. My go-to, Pepperidge Farm Herb, came second. I do add celery and onions to improve the taste.

Reader, I used to look forward to eating minus-style (now we have a name for it!) when DH and the kids were away. DH can no longer travel or stay home on his own due to balance issues so I always end up cooking, at least for him.

Special, I'm glad that lidocaine patch helped your back. I plan to try your pork chop recipe with thin chicken breast cutlets.

Wally, Congrats on catching the salmon even though you couldn't keep it. In Ireland I used to fish in the River Boyne (as it's called there) hoping to catch the mythological Salmon of Knowledge but all I ever caught were brown trout. My in-laws' farm bordered the river so we were spoiled; we only went fishing when the trout were rising.

Dinner tonight was grilled tomato/basil chicken breast and corn on the cob.

• carolehalston

DH and I have both been ill with intestinal flu or food poisoning of undetermined cause. Fun, fun, fun in a camper with one teensy bathroom. Today we're feeling better and each had a slice of toast for breakfast.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,115

I'm going back to Maryland again. This time the hotel the government has me staying at does not have a kitchenette…just a refrigerator, and a microwave oven. Sigh…. I liked the "fewer star" place with the kitchenette.

I can at least get some of those microwave oven "meals". If it's still corn season in Maryland, I'll probably get some corn and potatoes, and "nuke" them in the microwave oven. Now that I know about "no kitchenette", I'll put a plastic plate and tableware in my luggage…I have enough room/weight as I pack light, so the extra stuff won't be a problem. If you all can't tell, I hate eating restaurant food for every meal.

I've never fished for salmon, so I've never caught one.

I had the opposite problem with weight. After Mickey, I gained 70 pounds in a year.

As for weather, in the mornings it's been in the mid 50F range here as well. The house is very well insulated, so we haven't needed the heater (yet). The garden is still doing okay, as it's been in the upper 80F range.

I was reading back a bit and saw the "beenie weenies" and that made me smile. All but the last 3-4 days of the three weeks in Puerto Rico, we had been enjoying haute cuisine (MREs). Even with lots of Tabasco Sauce (I figure one pint bottle per week), the beenie weenies would have been a welcome change. I'm pretty good about "eating whatever", but there are limits. :-)

Mae….I'm hoping your food tastes are getting back to normal.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,882

Oh Carole that is rough. You have my sympathies. DH and I have had a few rounds with norovirus and DH has had two bouts of food poisoning. None of it is fun in the best of circumstances.

Due to a couple of doctor appointments and lunch out with friends, dinner is a slow cooker affair of pot roast with potatoes , carrots, celery and onions. My kind of dinner.

• maggie15

Carole, So sorry you and DH have been sick in such close quarters. Hopefully you will both be eating more than toast soon.

Eric, Does the hotel have an induction hotplate that you can borrow from the front desk? Microwaves are more difficult to cook in but do OK with things like ravioli, meatballs, BBQ, rotisserie chicken, frozen veggies, rice and pasta.

Nance, The pot roast sounds delicious.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon with fig sauce, sautéed yellow squash and sweet potato fries.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 923

Oh Carole I hope you and DH are on the mend soon. Yuck and sorry.

Eric safe travels and happy cooking. Not.

I love crockpot meals and have not done many lately. About time to start.

• minustwo

Carole - so sorry about the intestinal issues. At least you weren't on the road when it happened.

Eric - safe trip to Maryland. I agree - I don't do well eating out every meal. Glad you at least have a microwave. I've gotten pretty comfortable with all kinds of meals with a microwave.

Nance - I like the slow cooker dinner!!!

My dentist opened a new "fancy" office and had an open house this afternoon. Sandwiches from La Madelaine (I had turkey & provolone), hot & cold buffet with chicken & shrimp & fruit & taquitos & etc. His wife made at least 3 dozen of the most delicious mini bundt cakes - lemon & vanilla & chocolate with chocolate chips - and placed each one it a clear "clam shell" so we could take them home.

• eric95us

I missed that Carole. Uggh……..I hope you get over that VERY quickly.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,674

It’s a bit chilly here today, so I am thinking chili

• carolehalston

We are both drinking coffee this morning and feeling grateful that we're feeling much more "normal." Dinner last night was grits and soft boiled eggs. I would enjoy breakfast dinners more often since I seldom eat a substantial breakfast but dh is a breakfast person. Lately he has been making himself omelets.

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 75

Carole, I occasionally have an omelette for supper, they can be very filling. Could always make one in the morning and put it into the fridge to reheat later…

Tonight's dinner is fairly light… some leftover ground beef and "Asian-style" frozen veggies, seasoned with a sprinkle of Maggi sauce.

• eric95us

The airline sent an email…my flight is now "ground tramsport". 4 out of 5 times the flight has been "ground transport" :-)

• maggie15

Carole, Glad you both are feeling better. My DH would eat breakfast three times a day every day.

m0mmy, Chili for chilly weather sounds good.

Minus, That must have been a great open house. I have never heard of one with food being organized by a medical provider.

Doodler, I use coconut aminos but haven’t tried Maggi sauce.

Eric, So much for truth in advertising.

Dinner tonight was chicken kung pao on rice.

• minustwo

Eric - does that mean you're on a 'bus' from Arizona to Maryland? Ugh.

I love breakfast food for dinner, but my ex-DH never accepted that. For that matter, my Dad never did either. Only when Dad was out of town on business, we had waffles & eggs for dinner.

Dinner was Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup that I make with 1/2 milk. It's an old favorite from a babysitter when I was 4 years old. Soup seemed sensible since we had what passes for a cold front in Houston - down to 76 last night & only up to 82 today.