Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

1151315141515151615171519»

Comments

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,898

Carole - the pain killers wreak havoc on the system. I tried to avoid them as much as I could. I took a lot of colace.

Eric - your pup wandered into the right place. I hope I never find a stray golden retriever (or any dog really). I would be hooked immediately.

What a good aunt you are Minus! You earned your evening cocktail lol.

I don't know what dinner will be. It's time for chicken. Maybe chicken cacciatore.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315
    edited October 26

Carole - actually not TMI. I agree bodily functions are critical. I remember for each of my surgeries my docs actually recommended Colace stool softener or Senakot-S, softener with a mild laxative. He might only need one dose to get things moving - as it were. Hope things go well with the therapist.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,310

Carole, I've been given the same medical advice as Minus. While laxatives are not recommended for long time use they work to get things going. Afterwards, stool softeners can keep things going. Opiods have constipation as a SE, one reason I hate taking them. Hope PT goes well.

• maggie15

Minus, Like your grandniece I love black olives. Adding them to mac & cheese is something I’ll have to try.

Dinner tonight was a Reuben for me and corned beef hash for DH.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Tonight was pork ribs and baked beans at a friends house while we’re back in Houston. This time we stocked up on easy stuff that we can make in the hotel room, soup and sandwiches mostly.

I’ve got 5 sessions of brain radiation to 2 specific spots next week, then heading home early Friday afternoon. I don’t expect to have any limitations but can’t imagine I’ll feel like cooking much as soon as I get home. My plan is to take it easy.

• minustwo

Mae - hope the treatments are easy and the "recovery" uneventful. But I agree - I can't imagine you'll feel like cooking right away. Yes - just take it easy.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,144

I'll skip black olives on Mac and Cheese. LOL.

Mae, hoping the treatment and recovery are as easy as possible.

The leftover chicken gumbo and freshly made potato salad made a nice dinner. The night wasn't great. I was up at 12:30 and 2 am tending to dh's needs. Neither of us had a good night's sleep. Looking forward to the time when I can feel positive about this surgery. I'm sure dh feels the same way. Thanks for "listening."

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,135

Taking it easy is a good idea Mae…although I don't know how well I'd be able to do that.

Carole, is DH doing any better today?

At my college house, there was an olive tree in the back yard. The retired neighbor couple would come over to gather the olives and do whatever was done to them to make them good to eat. There would be 50-60 pint jars of olives, so the entire neighborhood benefited.

Last night was BBQ chicken, grilled corn on the cob and mixed vegetables with our long time friends. Then we talked politics, and even though we didn't completely agree on all the political stuff, the discussion was quite amiable. I wish this was the case on a national level. :-)

Daisy is "unfixed"…she's in heat….I imagine it won't be long before all the nearby male dogs will want to meet her. Sigh. Tomorrow is Frankie's (he's been neutered a long time ago) and Daisy's vet appointment, so at least we can start "the process".

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,403

Goat rib chops with butter beans and steamed cabbage…braised in red wine.

I was excited to read that there will be a phase 2 breast cancer vaccine and that phase 1 went very well. Here's to no more breast cancer….wish it were for all cancers. A gal can dream.

• maggie15

Illimae, Plan to continue your easy menus when you get home, maybe with the addition of something in the crockpot. Hopefully the recovery won’t be too bad but leave lots of time for resting.

Carole, Life after surgery can be tough for everyone involved. DH's "terrible triad" elbow break recovery was an 18 month slog including 4 hours a day using dynamic stretching splints plus another couple hours of PT and OT. He had to fill out an assessment questionnaire every month and would laugh at the impossibility of some of the questions (use a can opener when he couldn't even bring food to his mouth) but he finally got there. It was worth it in the end since he has a functional arm. A TKR can take 6 - 12 months for a full recovery but walking happens sooner. Hang in there and be kind to yourself as well as your DH.

Eric, Daisy is a good name for a female dog. It's nice to be able to discuss politics without it turning into a blame match.

Wally, I love butter beans. Cancer vaccines would be wonderful.

Dinner tonight was artichoke chicken casserole.

• minustwo

Eric - weird coincidence - my son recently adopted a rescue dog they named Daisy!! Good luck at the vet. I agree - wish we could discuss & figure out solutions w/o arguing.

Carole - hope tonight is better and you BOTH get some sleep.