Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

eric - thanks! I am determined to get my free Starbucks coffee someplace - hoping my local one is open in the morning! Other than that, my gift would be for my friends and loved ones to get through this and out the other side with minimal damage! This will definitely be a memorable birthday…

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,131

If I end up there, I'll be working at a portable hospital. I hope I don't meet you. :-)

• specialk

eric - I hope I don't see you either unless it is because I am bringing you some homecooked food rather than being a patient! They say we should sharpie pertinent info on a limb - I will have to remember to write specialk in addition to the other stuff… At least we've met in person before under much better circumstances, which included a yummy dinner. Am I remembering you were in Port Charlotte last time?

• eric95us

The alert just arrived……I'm guessing the email app on my phone will be chirping all night with the orders, travel info, etc being sent out.

Yes, the last time I was in Florida was at Port Charlotte. Before that was for Hurricane Michael.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,283

Illimae, Your pork tenderloin dinner looks delicious.

Special and Eric, Stay safe and dry.

Carole, You might need to cook a few meals that you couldn’t make in the camper for a change of pace. I sometimes google the main ingredients I have to see what recipes turn up. I’ve found a few good ones doing this.

Dinner tonight was oven fried chicken, cauliflower and mashed potatoes.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,128

DH reminded me that when the weather gets cooler, we can make some dinners like chicken and sausage gumbo and chili. Pork roast in the oven. Soups.

Last night was a Same Old reliable meal, ribeye and small potatoes. Tonight will be catfish. I'll probably pull out the air fryer from its corner on the counter. This morning I plan to make a broccoli salad and maybe potato salad for lunch options. DH has stopped eating sandwiches, his former favorite lunch food. He's a "big breakfast" person and doesn't want much to eat for lunch.

• specialk

carole - do you and DH like green chiles? If so, I had a great soup at a friend's house in CO Springs on this last trip. This is the recipe. She said she modifies it by adding a larger can of green enchilada sauce, and leaves out the green pepper because she doesn't care for them. We had toppings of shredded cheddar, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce. She also made a loaf of homemade bread - it was really yummy!

Easy Green Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe | The Modern Proper

• maggie15

Special, Happy Birthday! I hope you got your Starbucks coffee and Milton is easy on your home.

Carole, My DH would eat breakfast 3 times a day 7 days a week if it were up to him.

Eric, I hope your deployment goes smoothly. My local nightly news showed Tropicana Field set up as housing for workers who would be arriving.

Dinner tonight was sirloin strip steak, sautéed mushrooms and onion rings.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,399
    edited October 9

Special, happy birthday. My heart goes out to all (but 2)—politics aside, Floridians. My dad lived in Broward County…he's died many years now and one less thing to think about.

DH and I went to his orthopedic consult. They ordered a neurological conductivity test to see if carpal tunnel surgery is worth it, blah,blah.

I sure missed a lot of posts. Lots of leftovers…tonight, I made tuna steaks with beets (canned), broccoli and refried beans for sides. YUM.

Hope to make grass-fed beef liver and onions with garden cabbage.

Eric, no words…how amazing the help you provide, that your wife can handle that stress and you are of service. ((((((((((Eric))))))))

Illimae, as always, your photos make me drool. Just had dinner and ready to eat again.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,707

Good luck to all our Floridians. And selfishly, I hope it’s not too bad, I have an Airbnb booked in Cape Coral for my 50th birthday in February.

Eric, thank you for all you do. Sounds like a very interesting life, I’d love to have a cocktail and listen to the stories you have.

Tonight is a modified chicken carbonara with bow ties and asparagus instead of noodles and peas.

• carolehalston

That recipe looks good, SpecialK. I will definitely make it.

Last night's dinner was crispy fried catfish. I ended up using my newish saute pan with high sides on the stovetop instead of the air fryer. DH had spent the day truck shopping/buying with no lunch. The side was mac and cheese. The catfish tasted really good but I bought one too many fillets. We had leftovers which will probably be tossed after a suitable time in the refrigerator. DH made his tartar sauce. I squeezed lemon juice on my portion. Yum.

DH is excited about his new truck, which he will pick up today. It was more of a "want" situation than a "need," but I encouraged him. He thinks he will be a safer driver with some of the advanced driver's aids that his current truck lacks.

Today I am picking up Popeye's chicken for lunch at my sister Michelle's house. We will get to see Nova, our great niece, and her new baby.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,399

Congrats on the new truck for DH, Carole.

I'm making liver and onions tonight. Adding some cabbage to the mix (garden cabbage).

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,297

Went to the dermatologist yesterday. As usual, they froze 15-20 spots. Only two are pre-cancers with a serious watch. Unfortunately one is right over the scar from a prior MOHS surgery. Hope it's only an SK or AK. Even though there was no such thing as SPF with I was younger, I certainly didn't help it by lying in the sun in the middle of the day covered in baby oil. The tan was the thing!!!

Got my teeth cleaned today. Nothing to fill but a serious watch on a developing cavity. It will require a crown soon so he didn't bother filing it today.

DInner was egg salad - just out a bowl w/no bread. Desert was the last of the raspberry/white chocolate bundt cake with cream cheese icing. Oh boy that was good. Tomorrow I plan to make Rosemary Carrots.

Thinking about all our friends in Florida. Hope to hear soon.

• maggie15

Illimae, Another mouth watering photo! I’m going to copy your chicken carbonara variation since DH won’t eat peas (he spent a summer working in a pea canning factory) but likes asparagus. I even have some bow tie pasta.

Wally, I have a hard time finding beef liver so I end up cooking chicken livers for lunch to cut down on the amount of iron I have to take. I hope your DH ends up having the least amount of hand surgery possible.

Carole, I’m sure DH will enjoy the new truck. I just had to replace my 2002 Subaru. I miss my key and roll down windows but will eventually adapt to the screen with the hundreds of functions.

Minus, I hope your skin lesions are benign. I had friends who added iodine to the baby oil to tan more quickly but I just burned. That cake has given you several delicious meals.

Dinner tonight was chicken parmigiana.

• minustwo

Maggie - I'm not sure how I will ever adapt when I have to replace my 2003 Camry. I'm not a screen & swipe person. I don't know how I could even figure out how to start a rental car anymore - let alone find lights & windshield wipers. And unfortunately (thank you cancer) due to chemo induced neuropathy in my fingers I am unable to swipe - cell phones, check out screens, or anything.

Carole - sounds like this is a male thing - "must be new with the latest bells & whistles". Or at least is sounds like my ex-DH. With apologies to Eric.

Skin lesions - usually I have 12-20 frozen every 6 months. Because I try to stay on top if it, that usually works & I don't have to have biopsies. Fingers crossed.

Hoping to hear from Florida folks soon.

• specialk

Hello! Checking in - we made it through, but just got power back a few minutes ago. Because I had no WiFi and the cell towers were overloaded I could not post until now. I could text with the help of power banks I had charged ahead of the storm, but that is all. Our new roof held, no damage to the house. Lost a tree, and DH was out in the lanai periodically sweeping accumulating water off the pool deck while I mopped it from the big sliding door to keep the water out. The drains in the pool deck could not keep up with the amount of rain. Success! Huge mess in the yard, lost a tree, but I will take it. BIL/SIL lost their pool enclosure, but miraculously, no water in the house. DD still has no power, and because she’s on a well with an electric pump, no water. Their septic flooded with 14 inches of rain so they couldn’t flush toilets. She has a little doomsday peppering her so she’s fully outfitted and ready for all contingencies. All of her animals are ok - and she was out all day yesterday with neighbors dragging trees out of the road with her big truck and using a chainsaw - that’s my girl. She’s out in the country and they have many trees down and power lines down. We were prepared but this was scary - howling wind and driving rain, and a lot of tornadoes. It’s unnerving. We were lucky in Tampa that this was not worse, but that means it is worse for others nearby - heartbreaking. Thank you everyone for your good thoughts!

eric - are you in FL?

carole - have you had contact with your friend in Ft Myers?

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,894

Special - whew! So glad to hear from you and that your damage was not worse. I'm amazed that power has been restored so quickly. What a job that must be. Please keep us posted on cleanup efforts. Glad you all are safe!

• carolehalston

I'm thankful to report that Dorothy in Ft. Myers is fine and her house is undamaged, too. She stayed with a friend who lives near her, so she wasn't alone. DH received messages from his family members in Clearwater and near Jacksonville. Everybody is ok. So glad you checked in, SpecialK.

I had some snack crackers last night but wasn't hungry after eating a heavy lunch. DH had a small bowl of broccoli salad and another small bowl of cantaloupe. Something, perhaps age, has affected his taste buds. The only new medication is the eloquist and loss of taste doesn't seem to be a side effect. His new truck is very handsome as it should be. It will be interesting to see if he uses it around town or continues to use my Prius. His former truck mostly stayed in the carport during the 8 months here at home.

• eric95us

I'm still in Arizona. It looks like (Thankfully) Milton was less bad than expected and, so far, Florida is reporting that the local medical systems will be able to deal with the "medical aftermath".

"My" team is still on alert, so the expectation is that we can head out on a moment's notice. So, any projects I want to do around the house have to be ones that can be interrupted mid way through…and I don't have many of those right now.

As for Sharon. She takes all this in stride and can handle on her own anything that happens. I wold have not been "interested in her" had she been otherwise. :-)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,542

Thank you Everyone for keeping us posted ❤️

• minustwo

special - thanks for posting. I can't believe you got your power back that quickly. And luckily minimal damage. I love hearing stories about your DD.

Carole - glad your friends & family in FL are OK. What color is the new truck?

Eric - Yes it is frustrating to have to plan only "short term" projects. I've got a bunch of those long term, detailed projects that I keep putting off. I think get more frazzled doing short term things every day - one after another - than sinking my teeth into a major job. Hope you won't be called up.

Dinner was a couple of hard boiled eggs and a slice of french bread that had passed it's prime. I ate early so I was able to get the rest of the loaf into the garbage before the pick up. Still have one meal of left-over Naan pizza, but I'm ready to make Rosemary/Dill carrots tomorrow.

• maggie15

Special, Glad to hear that the damage to your and your family's homes was minimal. Thanks for letting us know.

Carole, Also good to hear your friends and family in Milton's path are OK. Blood thinners (and other meds) can cause dry mouth which may affect the taste buds and/or cause dental problems. That snuck up on me so I use biotine and lozenges to combat it.

Minus, The new Subaru has voice activated commands that can be used to control the screen. I haven't used it yet. I also hate the obsolescence of everyday things. My 2008 desktop which works fine cannot update to windows 11 so it will no longer function starting Oct 2025. Grrrr.

Eric, It's nice that you could stay in Arizona. Being on an "alert" team must limit what you can plan to do.

Dinner tonight was stuffed peppers.

• carolehalston

Minus, the new truck is a very dark bronze color. It's quite handsome.

I need to find out if my laptop can upgrade. I like it a lot and don't want to give it up, not to mention spend money on a new one.

Dinner last night was beef stroganoff. I used a recipe I recommended when I last cooked it, maybe a year ago. It was supposed to be a fairly quick one-pot recipe but I forgot I had chosen ribeye as the beef the first time around. I bought sirloin but the packaging didn't say top sirloin. So I ended up revising the recipe to tenderize the meat strips. The rich sauce was a bit thinner than I would have liked but the dish was delicious.

The recipe called for cream. To my amazement, Winn Dixie didn't have any cream. The space on the shelf was bare. I had to go to Piggly Wiggly, a much smaller store, and it had a whole selection. We use Piggly Wiggly for a convenience store with quick in and out.

Maggie, I will pass on the information about dry mouth to dh. He has complained about dry mouth. This summer he lived with a bottle of water nearby.

• minustwo

Carole - I keep a small container of Biotine spray by my bed. Maggie is right - it is magic. I also have the lozenges but the spray means I don't have wake up as much.

Unfortunately I too will have to get a new desktop system next fall. I finally took the plunge & finally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 four or five years ago - but apparently this system will not handle Windows 11. I too am really happy with what I'm using - not to mention that I HATE learning new electronic things.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,723

Thinking of chicken tonight with herb and butter rice and a veggie

• minustwo

Carole: How did you change the stroganoff recipe to tenderize? Add wine?

I'm making my Rosemary carrots (sauteed in butter with onion, garlic & dill then finished by simmering with honey & bouillon.) I took a piece of leftover meatloaf from the freezer as a side. I know - everyone else probably thinks of the vegetables as a side, but…. I'd like to add an individual serving of Bob Evans mashed potatoes but I know that will be too much food. Maybe I should just have carrots & potatoes and save the meatloaf for a sandwich tomorrow? Decisions, decisions.

• carolehalston

Minus, I simmered the browned strips of sirloin in the gravy formed by the beef broth, sauteed onions and garlic. What southerners call "smothering" meats. That's the method my mother used to make round steak and gravy. You brown the meat, take it out and saute the onion and garlic (some people would include green bell pepper), add liquid, put the meat back in and simmer until tender.

Funny misreading. I read "biotin" rather than "biotene." Dh bought a bottle of biotin supplement today which is possibly beneficial for hair, nails, and immune system. I will order the biotene from Amazon. DH has poor quality fingernails so maybe the biotin will help that.

DH is trying to figure out all the electronics on his truck. He has been watching a tutorial. Today he pushed a button in the truck, wondering "what does this button do?" He heard a thunk. The tail gate had lowered. LOL.

• auntienance

I'll have to try the Biotine spray for nighttime dry mouth. I used Biotine religiously during chemo to avoid mouth sores. Great stuff.

I made something that's been floating around the internet for a while (I'm pretty late to the party). It's only four ingredients but I never made it because two of the ingredients are pretty sodium heavy - ranch seasoning mix and brown gravy mix. The other two ingredients are chuck roast and pepperoncini and it's called Mississippi Roast and made in a crockpot. I happened to have all the ingredients and the gravy packet was low sodium so I decided to give it a try. Boy was it terrific. Probably still too much sodium but it was really tasty. DH said "Do this again!" It made wonderful sandwiches on buns the next day.

Tonight's offering will be baked cod, a broccoli/cauliflower combination and Mac and cheese (courtesy of our friend Bob Evans's.)

• carolehalston

I ran a test on my laptop today and it will not support Windows 11. Now I'm researching the differences between a laptop and a tablet. I do not want to sit at a desk or table. I use my laptop in my lap in my chair in the living room. And I like a small laptop but with a screen larger than most tablets. At least I have until next fall to do some shopping.

• auntienance

Carole - Biotin did wonders for my nails especially after chemo. I eventually stopped taking it because my nails grew so fast and strong now I can't keep up with them. I hate my nails to be very long so I'm constantly having to file them down.