Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

1151115121513151415151517»

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,283

Minus, Nothing wrong with carrots and mashed potatoes for dinner and meatloaf sandwiches are delicious.

Carole, I love my iPad but a laptop computer can do so much more. If I had to choose one it would be the computer.

Nance, The Mississippi roast sounds yummy. I had never heard of it but it sounds like I need to try it.

Dinner tonight was actually a late lunch outside at a restaurant since the day was unexpectedly warm. DH had fish and chips while I had a salad with blackened shrimp. While it wasn’t Legal it was good.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,131

Carole, I can sympathize with your DH regarding "what does this button do/". When I'm working I'm either in a SUV owned by the federal government or some rental SUV. One early AM, I got into a "gubberment" SUV at a hotel and reached down for what I thought was the dome light switch….nope…red-blue lights and siren….oops….hopefully I didn't wake up everyone at the hotel.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,128

Eric, what a funny story!

I get to the age of 81, 82 in March, having never heard or read about Biotene and suddenly three people in this discussion group use or have used it! Amazing.

Another coincidence. This morning I read about the Mississippi roast in a food email and then read that Nance made it.

And… I have a notion for making pizza tonight and plan to look up a pizza crust recipe. A different food email has an article with 15 popular pizzas in the US and recipes. One called the St. Louis pizza has thin crust. I jotted down the simple recipe and will give it a try. It makes two 10 inch pizzas so I'm thinking of a his and hers. Only problem is baking one at a time. Nance, were you aware of a St. Louis pizza?

Last night's dinner was chicken thighs, floured, browned in olive oil and simmered with a little water to make a gravy. Also the addition of a small amount of flour and water slurry. Side was mashed potato salad. I purposely made extra for leftover potato salad.

Maggie, you don't mention leftovers so do you cook just enough for a meal?

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,894

Carole - oh my yes. St. Louis style pizza is a "thing" here. Its most notable purveyor is a ubiquitous restaurant chain called "Imos" although you can find it at almost any local Italian restaurant and many bars. People, especially outside of Saint Louis, either love it or hate it because of its use of provel cheese and sometimes cracker thin crust. It's usually served cut in squares. (In spite of rumors to the contrary, provel is actually cheese). We like it occasionally but order ours with a mix of provel and mozzarella. It's easy to overdo provel in my opinion. St. Louis style pizza can be an acquired taste.

Tonight is carry out night but I may make chicken and dumplings instead if I can dig up some rotisserie chicken from the freezer.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 938

Tonight will be some kind of baked chicken, rice and vegetable. Simple Sunday.

My dentist recommended Therabreath products ( also Biotene). I find the lozenges are perfect for public settings where I just don't want to get dry mouth, a tickle, etc.

It's a beautiful breezy day here. I'll be on the screened porch reading. I didn't sleep well, so did not go to church. Recovering from a busy week is the order of the day. Have a wonderful week ahead everyone! 😊

• maggie15

Carole, I generally cook enough for one meal and sometimes have a bit left over for DH's lunch. He gets migraines from leftovers past the 18 hour mark. I also have to avoid pork now. My son is allergic to casein (a milk protein) and DH has always been lactose intolerant (before lactaid was available) so I've been altering recipes for a long time.

Eric, I'm glad I don't have to worry about sirens and flashing lights as I'm figuring out all the icons on the screen. I did manage to turn off the car alarm since that is required by the garage where I park in Boston.

Nance, It’s amazing how many regional pizza variations there are.

Reader, Simple Sunday is a great moniker in the tradition of Illimae’s Seafood Saturday and Carole’s Meatloaf Monday.

Dinner tonight was meatballs in Rao’s on rotini.

• eric95us

Tonight was hamburger with cheese, and probably what will be the last corn for the season, both done on the grill.

When the season ends, I very much miss the locally grown corn, peaches and plums. The corn and peaches have disappeared from the stores and it will likely won't be long before the plums also are "no more. :-(

I like my old vehicles (1950, 1957 and 1964) for the simplicity. The two older ones have only a few knobs…manual engine choke, heater/windshield defroster, windshield wipers and headlights. The 1964 adds two extra knobs for the AM radio.

I have a laptop (I'm using it now) and also a desktop that I use for some of my ham radio stuff.

• carolehalston

The pizza came out good, although it had too much topping, in my opinion. The crust was cracker thin and crunchy but didn't brown. I might go for a higher oven temperature next time. I used about 3/4 of the ball of dough to make a round larger than 10 inches.

The cheese mixture for the St. Louis pizza is swiss, provolone and white cheddar. I used a knob of fresh mozzarella I happened to have, some grated parm reg and some bagged Mexican mixture. I considered using some havarti but didn't. The toppings were Italian sausage, kalamata olives and pickled yellow pepper. The sauce was a mixture of crushed tomato with tomato paste and dried oregano and basil.

I have a picture on my phone that I can post later.

The recipe instructed to layer sauce on the dough, layer cheese and then toppings on the cheese. So I did that.

Not sure what dinner will be. I had the Covid shot yesterday and am not feeling great today. Last night was aches and chills. My typical reaction, plus a very sore arm.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,399

I'm behind on reading and posting. DH and I both are in the "new computer" situation and dread it. Not sure which is worse, transferring all our data or paying for new crap.

I had to google Provel cheese; assumed it was provolone, but nope. Learned something. I love super thin crusts so I might enjoy St. Louis style 'za. Carole, yours sounds wonderful.

Biotene has changed/been bought out so I have not been buying it for DH thinking it is no longer good; sounds like that may not be the case. Good to know.

The liver and onions night turned into turkey burgers because the liver was not tender. This was from our goat guy and the beef must have been much older. The following night, I made fried eggs with the leftover cabbage and caramelized onions. Last night, a copper river sockeye with a miso glaze, of sorts. YUM. Leftovers tonight.

DH goes to the dentist weekly now; hopeful that the antibiotic curtailed infection and he is improving.

I have to think about vaccines….

• maggie15

Carole, I bake the pizza crust alone for half of the time, then add the sauce, cheese and cooked toppings and return it to the oven for the remainder. That allows the crust to cook a bit better. I hope the vaccine SEs go away soon.

Wally, Glad that they are keeping a close eye on your DH's jaw.

Eric, We had the last of the local corn a month ago. I already miss it.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon with Chinese five spice powder and asparagus.

• carolehalston

I feel much better today. Good enough to go to chair yoga class at 1 pm.

Maggie, I think you mentioned previously that your dh gets migraines from eating leftovers. I had forgotten. Also I wasn't aware that you have a son at home. Possibly I forgot that, too.

Dinner tonight will be small pork steaks cooked in barbecue sauce and baked sweet potatoes.

• maggie15

Carole, My son is married and lives in NYC (my daughter, too) but for years I had to cook without milk products and read labels looking for calcium caseinate, a stabilizer used in all kinds of foods. Now I can make dishes that were off limits as long as DH can have them. I’m glad you are feeling better today.

Too cold in Boston today to eat outside so dinner was sandwiches from a bakery. DH had turkey on sourdough and I had a really good chicken salad on cranberry bread.

• wallycat

Used up my leftovers to make a refried rice

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,723

making pork chops tonight.

• wallycat

I'll make a socca "pizza" tonight

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,707

DH is making meatball subs and salad.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,894

First frost of the season last night. We spent yesterday bringing in the plants from the decks and ensuring no critters came in with them.

Tonight is chicken pot pie with homemade applesauce as the side. Comfort food.

• eric95us

I'm glad you're feeling better, Carole.

Yesterday was a "no dinner" day and today was a very late lunch day, so we likely won't have a dinner meal tonight.

• maggie15

A “no dinner” day here as well. I had a laryngoscope down my throat for way too long today so I didn’t feel like eating. DH had a tuna sandwich in the middle of the afternoon and a bowl of cereal this evening.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 938

Leftover chicken and noodles was on for tonight since DH was out playing cards and having dinner with friends. Delish. I love leftovers but DH not so much.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,297

I have to join the 'no dinner' crowd. I had intended a salad, but got involved in Excel reports. By the time I realized I hadn't even poured my pre-dinner drink, it was 8pm - too late to start preparing or for me to eat & still sleep well. But I did have a tasty lunch from HEB. Devil's Food donut holes!!! Guess I didn't manage the three food groups.

Carole - for crispier pizza, I spray the pan with oil and then actually drip/spread Wesson oil on top of the crust before adding the Raos & toppings.

Interesting that Nance and others had frost last night. We actually got down to 52. But high 80's are coming back soon.

• carolehalston

We had a heavy lunch, oyster poboy (dressed) for me and French fries. DH had chicken and sausage gumbo and half a shrimp poboy. So no dinner.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,297

Carole - good wishes for your DH's knee surgery next week.

I had part of a delicious broccoli salad from Chicken Salad Chick with a nice red wine. Dessert was more Devil's Food donut holes. They were really good with the wine.

• maggie15

Minus, Devil’s Food donut holes sound good even without the red wine.

Dinner tonight was sour cream and onion chicken with mashed potatoes.

• eric95us

Spaghetti and a made by Sharon sauce.

Yesterday we bought…not a truck…but a Honda brand generator….It's about four times as expensive as the cheap "warranted until it breaks" ones. Now I need to get it wired into the house electrical system. It will handle the well pump, furnace, lights, all the stuff plugged into the wall outlets, freezer and refrigerator.

I still want to get the old diesel powered one running as well, but it will take more time than I wanted to "be without power" to get it running. The nice thing about the diesel one is that it was designed for continuous—months at a time—service.