Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

1151215131514151515161518»

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,130

Last night's dinner was chili and Nathan's hot dogs, no buns. Easy with canned pinto and black beans, mild Rotel, and ground beef.

We have to be at the surgery center tomorrow morning at 6:30 for dh's knee surgery. We're both nervous and hoping for the best outcome.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,895

Carol - best wishes for both of you. It's a few weeks of challenges but totally worth it. It's been years since my knee was this good. Just be sure he does the physical therapy because it makes all the difference.

Tonight is a crockpot dish using turkey tenderloins, a box of store bought stuffing mix, and frozen green beans cooked in layers. We'll see how that turns out. It better be good as I still have sticker shock over the price of the turkey.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304

Carole - hope DH's knee surgery goes well. Nance is correct - following the PT recommendations after surgery is critical.

Trying to decide between cheerios with a banana or meatloaf sandwich.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,400

I'll be thinking of you and your DH, Carole. It is as hard on the spouse as the patient, emotionally anyway.

I'm shredding up some braised country style ribs in red wine and will pour tomato sauce (jarred) into it, then over Ziti. May toss in some veggies.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,297

Carole, I hope your DH's knee surgery goes well and improves his QOL.

Nance, That recipe sounds like Thanksgiving dinner in a crockpot.

Wally, I add white wine to cream sauce all the time but haven't thought to add red wine to tomato sauce. I'll have to try that.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon with fig sauce and sauteed yellow squash.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Carole, I, too, hope DH's knee surgery goes well, and helps.

We currently have a very young Golden Retriever in our house. She was hiding in the bushes along our driveway—no collar and not chipped. We had a loud thunderstorm Friday and I'm hoping she got out rather than someone dumping her.

Frankie (our dog) was used as a bait dog when he was a puppy and in many cases doesn't get along well with other dogs. So far, they are getting along okay…she is asleep on the floor and Frankie is in Sharon's lap.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

Hi all - we have been busy here still doing some cleaning up around the house, and now waiting for the yard debris to be picked up. The trash folks have had their hands full picking up household debris and the yard stuff has been on the back burner. All of the tree limbs gathered have now dried out and the leaves are coming off, so there will be some additional clean up and raking up leaves when it is finally hauled away. The good news is that the neighborhood has been diligent about the clean-up and a lot is bagged up near all the driveways waiting. I am in the throes of packing and prep for a trip to CA, leaving Wednesday afternoon. I have a couple of appointments and need to vote at the early voting that opened today since I will be out of state on election day. My BFF is having back surgery on Fri so I am going to help her for two weeks. DH will stay here and take care of the house and cat. Unfortunately, I will be gone for his birthday - so I need to make some plans with DD for a gift for him and a cake, etc. DD has returned to work as of this past weekend. DH has been volunteering with World Central Kitchen distributing food both in Treasure Island (very hard hit by Helene) and here in Tampa in the University area, which is quite inland but had issues with a failed flood control pump which caused a lot of damage. I went down to Bradenton with Mercy Chefs and helped with both dishing food into styrofoam clamshell containers to be taken to the distribution sites, and prep for fruit and green salads. It was a long time standing in a parking lot and we were hot and a bit sore/tired when we were done. Meals have been hit or miss - DH's days over in Pinellas are long since it is a commute on top of the volunteer hours. He has not been super hungry when he gets home so we have had some sandwiches. There was discussion earlier of Mississippi Pot Roast - I did make that on the Bradenton day and had the leftovers on rolls with melted cheese. I found a 4-pack of jalapeno rolls at Sprouts that were yummy as the bread for sandwiches with the leftover roast. When my friend was here (fellow volunteer from Gainesville) we also had Green Enchilada Chicken Soup with toppings of cheese, avocado, sour cream, and corn chips. Since both dishes had leftovers that solved cooking on a couple more nights. We went to The Villages on Saturday to meet up with a visiting old friend and her DH (we've known each other since we were 15!) and had a nice mid-day meal of chicken piccata in an Italian restaurant on one of the squares. I was glad they came to The Villages this time, as they often go to Orlando and I hate going over there because of the crazy traffic.

Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in!

carole - hope DH's knee surgery goes smoothly!

• maggie15

Special, What a complicated life! It's wonderful that your DD is back to work and your DH isvolunteering to help with the cleanup. You seem to be organized despite the chaos caused by Helene. It sounds like you managed to fit in some delicious meals as well. I hope you have a good trip and your BFF has a successful surgery.

Carole, I hope your DH had a successful surgery, too.

Dinner tonight was pizza made with refrigerated dough, Rao's margherita sauce, mozzerella, nitrate free sausage, mushrooms, green peppers and black olives.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,727

Thinking of making waffles and bacon tonight

• maggie15

m0mmy, DH loves breakfast for dinner. I haven’t had a waffle iron for quite some time but I should buy a new one.

Dinner tonight was leftover pizza.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304

I love breakfast ANY time, except before 10am.

Went with a couple of friends to Laurenzo's for a late lunch. Started at 1:30 and still there after 3:30pm. I found out my favorite waiter had passed away, so several other employees came and sat at our table one by one to share the story and tell us about the memorial service.

Delicious Prime Rib French dip. The lunch menu comes with fries AND a salad. I was only able to eat 1/4 of the sandwich so I have some good leftovers. Started with 'Thousand Stories' Cabernet and ended up with coffee & Sambuca. Even eating less than half of the French Dip, I am still so full at 9:30 pm that there's no way I can go to bed.

Prolia shot tomorrow for my osteoporosis and then eye doc to see if we can figure out how to stop the constant burning & stinging.