OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Hollander sounds good to me--this is soup weather for sure ad cuddling I love. And I think we are all having a super cold January for most of us. I went out yesterday and in 3 seconds I thought my face was gone.

• MaryLW
    MaryLW Member Posts: 1,585

It's even cold in Florida! It's in the 50's here, which may sound balmy to you northerners, but we're freezing!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Hollander.......had a gas fireplace in the other house I lived in...gorgeous home that my son completely renovated before I moved in........amazing fireplace with an all granite hearth, and walls.......

The home I am in now is a ranch.....another son completely renovated this one for me, top to bottom everything new.....nothing old other then the exterior, which is all brick, and you can't hurt brick....put on a beautiful patio, rails all around, vaulted ceiling in the family room, huge kitchen with gorgeous cabinets, all granite countertops which run completely around the kitchen......all new appliances, overhead lighting, and under the counter lighting.........italian stone master bath with a walkin shower, and a bench, and shower heads all around, and an over the bench rain shower fixture...........hardwood floors, patio out back, that has a view of the woods, and a babbling brook too.................

BUT NO FIREPACE................he is putting that in, in the Spring............but sure could have used it this winter...................

Both my sons are builders...........

• camillegal

Ducky that sounds beautiful--how wonderful they did all that.

• duckyb1

It is beautiful....and it is funny because any workman, or delivery person that comes in here says..........wow none of the other houses on this block are like this one.......

My son took out all the walls, and made it what they call an "open floor plan"......so when you walk in the front you can see clear through to the back patio.......and walk completely around the from room to room with only the necessary walls......he also put in a tankless water heater.......love that......it only goes on when I turn the hot water on, and stays hot till I turn it off, and then shuts down completely......no constant heating of the water......huge savings on the gas bill.......the A/C only costs me $85.00 a month on the hottest months and I leave my air on all the time on 73 even when I am down the shore, so that it is nice and cool when I come back........he thought of everything.....my washer and dryer are behind doors, and adjacent to that is a huge storage area also behind doors....the house is 1,700 square feet........I like big.....just like a 2 story, but hey I am not gonna complain........Now he wants to buy me a Boston Terrier puppy, and in April.....a new Cadillac CTS for my birthday......doesn't want me driving an SUV anymore....................told him "no thanks"........both the dog and the car will out live me.............

Happy with what I have......Now if I could only get the doors open on my SUV.....they are frozen shut..........LOL..........

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hi Hollander join the hugs and fun. Ducky yo are so lucky with your family, they must love you lots.

We must look at fixing one of our fireplaces before winter which I hope is a long way away.

Must go and make coffee.

HeHe have fun folks.

• duckyb1

Aly..........yes, all 6 of them...............but I love them more.......which is what I tell them all the time when they say "love you Mom"...........even to the Grands, and great grands.....

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433

Done with rads for the week, only 3 more to go, yippee!!!!I cant say Ill miss going out at 8 in the morning on those mornings it gets down to 7 or 8. We are in a deep freeze for us. I don't have a fire place, we used to have a free standing fp but tore it down, more trouble than it was worth..I only have the mantle left.

• duckyb1

Mary, Mary, luvey.........how are you......good news......your rounding the corner........hang in their girlfriend, your gonna do great........

I miss my gas fireplace.......but if I open my mouth, my son will get me one, then toss my sorry ass in for complaining......lol........they are just so cozy, and heats up a room in no time...........I have central heating, and with the vaulted ceilings the damn heat goes up.........these high ceilings are great to look at, but not practical........at the top on the back side of the family-room there are 3 huge windows, with a window above those 3 near the ceiling..........I ask you who the hell can clean a window that is easy 15 high.........not me........so son says.........don't worry Mom, I will send someone over in the Spring to clean the windows..............really......now that is a pure waste of money.......phew......

Now more snow.........

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

I would love to switch my fireplace to gas. When it's cold and foggy here, there's an inversion and you're not allowed to use your fireplace with wood. We haven't used it in 3-4 years now.  The other thing we've considered is covering it up, removing the mantle and saying 'what fireplace'? I really wanted one when we moved in, but it's pretty useless if you can't use it when you need it.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Ducky, have your sons put in some ceiling fans to bring that heat down. I agree, it's a waste of everything with those ceilings. 

Mary,  we won't get any sympathy from them, 50 degrees, they'd be in shorts!

• camillegal

U'r house sounds beautiful Ducky and u'r kids are wonderful---very thoughtful and caring.

We have a pretend fireplace, but it has a heater so it looks pretty and heat comes out too. it helps a lot in the weather.

• duckyb1

Spookie.......yes I do have a huge gorgeous fan that lights up at the top and bottom, fine when you turn it on and the heat is blowing, but when the heat turns off (forced hot air), you freeze your ass off cause the fan is still blowing down........now winning here...and yes the ceilings are a selling feature nowaday, but useless

Cami.......yes the house is really very nice, and my kids are wonderful.......they do take care of me, but wish I got more visits and phone calls........but they have families, and lives of their own......and I do understand, but sometimes just lunch or a cup of tea........oh well......of course winter is a depressing time anyway......and this snow doesn't help.......plus my car doors are frozen shut.......lol....really.they are....

• camillegal

Ducky do u drive in this horrid weather tho? I mean I wouldn't people re crazed in this weather. Ducky it's so cold here, like where u are just try to stay in--do u have to grocery shop or does someone do that for u? And yes our kids have very busy lives, they don't realize how time flies cuz they are so busy, working, families and all that fun stuff.

• duckyb1

Yea Cam I do drive, if the car doors would open.......LOL.........I have an SUV, and it has 4 W drive, although most of the streets are clear.......do my own shopping.....did a little before all this crap began....just make sure I have my K-cups for my Keurig.......light cream for my coffee, the rest I can play by ear........always have soup in......love my soup.......but really stay in rather then go out.

You should have seen me pulling the trash can up the driveway this morning......made it to the pavement, great trash guys.....the came to the lawn and got it.....and then put the can back in my driveway....guess the xmas present helped......LOL

• camillegal

That was good that they did that for u, yes presents help.

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433

Just got a call from the mo himself at 10 00 pm telling me my liver function is much better this week! Yippee!!!!!!!!

• duckyb1

Mary, Mary, oh I am so happy........I told you girlfriend.........your gonna be ok.......hugs and so much love...............hugs.

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93

Woohoo!!!! Now that's something to celebrate.  I love to get phone calls like that on Friday-- makes the weekend so much more fun!  So glad the treatment is working.  Enjoy your weekend, and stay warm!  (((hugs)))

• Alyson

Hey Mary

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Yeah You go girl!

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783

I second hollander's woohoo!!!!!  Great news, Mary!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Wonderful news!  And three cheers for that MO, not many would call at the end of such a long day.  Most would make you wait till Monday.

• camillegal

chabba ThumbsUp

• Alyson

I have a really mind bending question. Why is it that Christmas decorations can hide when you are taking everything down and then suddenly appear later?

• camillegal

Oh Aly that's like the sock in the dryer.

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

So true Aly..I had guests over for Dinner last weekend and right in my good luck bamboo potted plant in the middle of the dining room table was a Christmas decoration that read Merry Christmas. We all noticed it at the same time and looked up from our Chinese food and started cracking up laughing. I agree with Cami, it's like the sock in the dryer. 

• duckyb1

LOL......one of my kids must have taken a red ribbon off a package, and tied it on my crystal chandalier in the dining-room above the table............just noticed last night that it was there..........I'm short, but that is ridiculous, although the dining-room hardly ever gets used.......

Funny thing is.....I look at the furniture in that room which is solid pecan wood, and gorgeous, along with the 3 tier crystal fixture above the table, and wonder..............who the hell is going to want this.........many homes today (unless they are older) are built without dining-rooms.............and kids today do not want to clean a crystal fixture.......they buy these big bulky things with huge arms that protrude out from the center like a big octopus...........

I have a shore home also, that has my mother's 100 year old dining-room set in it, and her chandalier, that looks like it was just bought......I tease them and say "well before you bring in the dumpster" make sure you check the value of what your tossing in it.......they just laugh.......my mother was also a lover of Waterford Crystal......I think they will keep that........actually I am trying to get them to take the stuff now..........

I want to give my grandaughter my engagement ring instead of her fiance buying one, but have to be careful, how others will feel about that........since she is not the only grandaughter, but her mother was getting the ring anyway, so it would just pass to my grandaughter sooner, then later, right.......crazy huh

Well just gives me something else to think about........LOL.........

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858

I gave all my good jewelry away

My diamond wedding ring I was glad to get rid of it...my youngest DD always had her eye on it.always wanted to borrow it???that ring ment nuthin to me so I gave it to her

My MOM engagement ring has a story to it...I promised her I would give it to my oldest DD and I did warning her that it goes to my GD Elizabeth who was named for my. Mom...Along comes my brother who has a ked that was named for my MOm and DAD...so it will get passed to her..

The rest of the stuff I have I don't wear and who ever wants it they can have it

That's my story and I'm sticking with it

The diamond cross it have could cause a battle ..I still wear it...

I don't care cause I won't be here

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

FireKracker, Should we be worried about you?