OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

Yes Ducky - that made perfect sense.

My nephew came home from the hospital this week. His leg
    still looks awful, but he is doing much better. They administer antibiotics
    daily through his PIC line. He also has a home nurse that changes his wrap
    every few days. The doctor said it can take up to a month to heal. The new meds
    seem to be working - his WBC is down. I made him homemade sauce/gravy which
    should last him the whole week.

GMA, love that picture of you and your grandchildren!!! They
    are adorable!! I'm so glad you get to see them often. My boys left for
    Wisconsin on Wednesday and they arrived today. I miss them terribly! I've got
    my girls - ages 6 and 12 coming on Tuesday to spend the night. I want to take
    them to the water park on Wednesday. Hopefully my body will cooperate! I'm
    keeping an eye out to see if this acupuncture works for you. If it works for
    you, I may just get up the nerve to try it myself. I'm really pulling for you!!

FK having senior moments? Or, is it Ducky? I have them often
    and I'm not even a senior!! My son's birthday was today and I actually thought
    he was older than he is. He turned 24 today, and I thought he was turning 25! Now
    that's pretty bad!! I'm such a dork!!

Monis, I am a former sun worshiper. When I was a kid in
    Rockaway, we used baby oil and iodine mixed together to tan. Who knew????
    Everyone did it. It was like basting a turkey.

Hope you all are doing well. It was a crazy week for me and I'm glad it's the weekend.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Oh Slow........hysterical...................about your sons birthday.................I get up everyday and have to think "what day is it"...........some days I get it wrong........LOL.................

A  couple weeks ago I had 4  Dr. appts all wrong.......thank heavens for "confirmations"..............actually one of them I called cause I thought the appt.. was a couple days away..........I said to the recpt......"do I need a referral for this visit"............she came back and said............"yes you do, we will see you at 2pm today".........................at that point it was 1pm.............talk about confused...........that week I had them all wrong...................LOL.........

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858

So u see slow it's Ducky with the Sr.moments,not me

U went to Rockaway Beach? 

Well so did I

But that was way before ur time...u see I am a senior..

• duckyb1

Slow.........Baby Oil and Iodine..............OMG......I used that too................who could afford Coopertone back then.........LOL................now instead I pay to have my cancer spots removed...............but back then I looked pretty damn good......

Now I look like a lizard with  brown spots........shut up FK........

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

mom never let me add the iodine to baby oil....maybe that is why I never got really dark~~

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Nothing I tried ever turned me brown. I just get red, then back to white. I'm so glad pasty white is more popular now. I really stand out in Hawaii.

• proudtospin

I know lots who still do the tanning bit but honestly, most have many more wrinkles!!  got enough of them so do not need help!

• FireKracker

I never was a sun worshiper 

I hate the summer

Sure I have a few wrinkles but it's from smoking

My mom was wrinkled like a prune,she loved the sun...

My friend was and still is a sun worshiper and looks way older then I do now that we r up there

I used to use the self tanning but now I'm chemical free,,,well almost....

• SlowDeepBreaths

FK, I was born in Rockaway. I moved when I was 14 to California.

Ducky, not only did we add iodine to our baby oil, but we also used that silver contraption (see below).

I stopped worshiping the sun in my 30's. Like FK, I now hate the summer and the heat.

Wren, I've always tanned very easily. It's the Italian skin. My daughter is very white and burns very easily.

proud, you should be glad your mother didn't allow it! My mom encouraged it and used it herself. Back in those days, they didn't know any better.

• duckyb1

Slow..........OMG.......I remember that damn thing.............LOL...............back then using sunscreen was like using a "car seat"........remember that..........your kid jumped from the front to the back, hung out the window............and what the hell was a bike helmet................now when they ride a bike they look like they are going to war.........LOL

And we all survived, and so did our kids........well at least this "old lady's did".................quiet FK, your no spring chicken.......................

• SlowDeepBreaths

YES! I remember.....we NEVER wore car seats!! I can remember me and my nephew bumping heads when we turned a corner too sharp in my sisters car. We would hold on for dear life! When I rode on the bus as a kid, we would sit on the back of the bus seats with the windows wide open. Ignorance sure was bliss back in those days!

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309

When we were kids, we would have so much fun all laying down in the back of the station wagon.  We played and had a great time back there.  I had never heard of car seats until I had a baby in the late 80's.  

• duckyb1

I had my first baby in 1957........about that time they had this thing they called a "car seat".......when my son was old enough to be in one........we bought it..............

It was a plastic seat with metal sides that had hinges so it could be closed..........it had 2 hooks on the back that went over the back of the front seat of your car .......in the middle........back then the seats in the car wnet straight across in the front.......you would put this seat in the middle, over the back of the seat........NOW THE  BEST PART........in the  middle of this car seat, was a steering wheel, which had a big screw that held the wheel to the front of the car seat...............LOL.........if you stopped too fast, and did not put your arm across the kid, they would have the imprint of the "screw" in their forehead for a week....................oh, and did I mention.......no kid every stayed in the damn seat..........they jumped out, climbed across the seat to the back of the car, run around back there, and then when they were ready got back in the car seat for another few minutes they would jump into the front seat again, and climb back into it.....LOL........................Talk about safety..............

When I tell this story people (younger people of today) roll on the floor laughing...................I wonder sometimes how our kids lived to the age they are now..........LOL

How many ladies remember feeding your baby the bottle.....in the front seat of the car............when there was no such thing as a "seat belt", or an "air bag"........................we were not bad parent's...............its just those things did not exist........remember I am 79, and my oldest is going to be 57 next month...........

• SlowDeepBreaths

OMG Ducky....that's too funny! Here is a picture of one of the old car seats!

Can you imagine that now????? Now the kids are strapped in so tight they can barely breathe!!!

• duckyb1

Slow......and this was his car bed that stayed in the back...........I swear we were nuts.......today we would be locked up, or reported to Child Services......

And yes, the kids today are strapped in so tight it is ridiculous....I get uncomfortable just looking at them........LOL.........I actually owned one of these things.

• SlowDeepBreaths

WOW....I've never seen that!! Remember the old baby carriers? They look so flimsy compared with what they use today.

• duckyb1

Yea, had one of those too........LOL...........

• SlowDeepBreaths

Ok....had to share this....This was my all time favorite doll as a kid. Remember pulling the string and the body would wiggle???? I just loved this thing!!! Thumbelina doll!! Problem was I had to give her a hair cut. I'm not sure why kids to that...it totally ruined the doll.

Edited to Add: This topic would make a great thread. Call it "A Blast from the Past"

• FireKracker

wow

The good old days

I had everything u mentioned

And that contraption with the silver foil

My mom used to sit on the stoop with that stupid tin foil thing all day

No wonder she was wrinkled like a prune

I'm babysitting now,they r quiet for the moment

Rock away,damn my GF drowned there way before ur time but after that we never went back.She was around 12 yrs.old..I remember it like it was yesterday

• duckyb1

Slow......that sounds like a great thread..........

FK......what do you think............Slow could start one also........imagine all the things people would put on that they remember.......sounds like fun.............still trying to think of a name for our new one...........I am drawing a blank..............I think a lot depends on "what we're planning on talking about".............just general stuff, or specific...........gotta put my thinking cap on tighter......

• SlowDeepBreaths

The rip tides in Rockaway were brutal when I was a kid. We lost many people.

You were asking for name ideas for a new thread. That was for you and FK - not me! Just throwing it out there :) I'm not sure how much conversation it would provoke. I know I could talk for hours on old things from the past.

• duckyb1

How about "Between Friends"..............

Slow your idea was a good one.....we can do 2 threads......

• SlowDeepBreaths

hahahaha. I think I'll leave the thread starting to you guys! I'm lucky I can keep up with this thread!!

• SlowDeepBreaths

• SlowDeepBreaths

Good Morning!

Today my two girls come over and they are spending the night! I'm so excited. I get them for one night and my sister gets them for two. I guess that's fair considering they are her grandchildren! :)

GMA, haven't seen you here for a few days. I hope you're doing well and not in too much pain. Thinking of you!

Ducky, FK, Monis, Wren, Proud and anyone else lurking, I hope you have a good day today!!

Edited to Add: Oooops, just realized that Alyson hasn't been around either.....hope you're doing good too!!! Maybe you're still traveling???

Also, GG! I know you're around though because I saw you on the game threads!! Winking

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

I am here....  just been lurking.  I've been having horrible headaches for the last couple days, so kinda chillin'

• SlowDeepBreaths

Oh no GG! Headaches are awful. I hope you feel better soon!!

• proudtospin

me
    around although got some stuff planned for the next couple of days, will be walking in museums and sure do hope the footsies hold up!

try to find a good idea for vacation that does not involve walking~~~not easy so this is a test

• duckyb1

Hi all......just for the record.....we are starting a couple new threads......you all must come join us.........one is gonna be good old gals stuff, and the other is "The Way We Were"......gonna bring back oldies but goodies,.........toys you remember playing with, old songs, toys your kids played with, fun places you remember being........if you can do pictures even better........if not, just tell us what made you happy when you were growing up, or raising your kids........I think this could be a hoot...............I got the idea when we started talking about "Baby Oil, and Iodine as sunscreen"................then.....old car seats, and how we survived the rides when we were 8 in a car.........more or less........come on, it will be starting soon.....watch for it.................and watch for Kracker's Cacklers......and we all know who Kracker's is.........she's the old Grannydukes................all for the fun of it................

• duckyb1

G.G...........Hi girlfriend............hope those headaches go away soon.....

Proud...........know about those foot aches............can't walk too far myself.............hell I grab a shopping cart just to lean on...........and of course to keep me walking straight..........I look like I'm drunk...........if a cop ever pulled me over and said "walk a straight line".......I would say.............cuff me, cause that aiint gonna happen..........LMAO..........it true........