OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• julieped
    julieped Member Posts: 42

I have never posted on this thread so I hope this is the right one.  I have two sister in laws that love to tell me their friends' cancer stories.  I saw one of my sister in laws this morning (brother's wife) and she can have some very interesting comments.  Today she told me a story about her friend who had a bmx and chose not to do reconstruction.  She saw her friend a party last night with a t-shirt on and she looked fabulous.  But my sister in law had to add the comment:  "I am so proud of her for doing this."  She stated it two more times.  

I wanted to tell her I am proud of myself for my bmx, implant exchange and a major revision surgery.  I did tell her that I am happy I chose reconstruction and hope I am done.  My question is, do I just let it go or do I talk to her or my brother?  It made me really angry.  She has had a few other great comments along the journey. Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.  

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

stupid people who have never been forced to make the choices we have.  It is true that if I have a reoccurance and need to do a mastectomy, I say now that I will not reconstruct but hey that is my choice

my choice also is to stay away from stupid folks, had enough of the dumb comments

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

julieped, Welcome to the nuthouse! I found that ignoring the remarks works best for me. I had my teeth cleaned last week and I've been going to the same dentist for 15 years. One of the ladies in the office had to tell me that one of her friends just passed away from breast cancer. I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to say to that???? Ummmmm, so sorry? or, thanks for sharing??? or, I appreciate the pep talk??

You just can't cure stupid.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Julieped............welcome and good you stopped bye.................true.......you can't fix stupid........best one I got was "well at least you got the good cancer"......the only place you find compassion and understanding is right here on this website.....................because we have all walked the walk....

Hugs, and remember

• proudtospin

like that, bad luck about brains!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Julie, Perhaps "Oh, that's way easier than what I did." It's hard when the stupid is a family member.

• julieped

Thank you so much for your support.  I guess you don't get it unless you have been through it.  

• SlowDeepBreaths

I really believe MOST people don't mean to be insensitive.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239

Firecracker, I like your feistiness....

Yeah it is nice to share stupidity stories, just when you think you have heard them all.... sigh.  I am certainly not a rocket scientist but I can't imagine saying what some say.  ...

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858

thank u enjoy

I tell it like it is

Most ppl who have never experienced bc should keep their damn mouth shut

Say nuthing cause u have no clue what we go throu

NO THERE IS NO CURE FOR STUPID

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

I agree Kracker. I have had some good ones said to me among them:

Just after finishing tx a cousin said - 'oh well you can forget all about it now ' and she was a nurse!!!!

Another cousin asked me what I thought I had done to get cancer? I wish I had taken a photo of her sister's expression.

I have been sent all sorts of cures by 'well meaning' people as well as emails which I am meant to send on. When we were children we were told to ignore chain letters and many that I have been sent are nothing more than modern chain letters which should be trashed. Well there has never been a cure for stupid.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978

First the news - then the funny:

Ok ladies - I did the unthinkable - I let the acupuncturist put needles in the rib area next to the breast nerve pain on my compromised side. I woke up this morning with no breast pain! I am watching the area, but so far no extra swell or red spots. I am just so relieved not to have pain at the moment. 3 years of this has not been fun.

The Funny:

• duckyb1

gma.........wonderful......I really hope this all works for you........such a shame to think if it does.....all the crap you did with other drugs, and the SE's and here something was available that caused no problems..............sad thing is......most insurances do not cover a/p...........nor do they cover massage...............yet some cover chiropractic care...............

I believe its because there is no money for big Pharma in a/p, so it is not promoted.........after all........someone has to get rich.........right............

I swear by it..............and have to get back...........lol.............

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978

Very true Ducky, but my acupuncturist has a heart and lets me pay her when I have the money, as long as I pay her something each month.  She charged $75 for the first visit, then $55 after that.  She has been doing this for 25 years now and keeps up with the new, in fact this weekend she has to go to another seminar.  I am blessed with great practitioners.

• duckyb1

Gma .........great........mine is a chinese woman.......schooled at the University of Shanghi, and on the staff at University of Penn, here in Philly..............she charges me $45.00, but only because I have no a/p coverage through my insurance plan..........and I'm a Senior........guess there are a few benefits to getting old......LOL...........I really have to get back........I have been very neglectful, but then when you get in a rut.......sometimes you just can't get out.........and that is where i am now.......easier to just sit and think about it, then to get up and do it.............not a good thing..............

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

GMA - Great news. 

Julie - they don't know any better, but they should stop and think.  You show much more restraint than I, but I liked what someone said... "Oh yeah, that was a much easier path than the one I chose..."  I probably would have bonked her in the head with my purse....  :)

• SlowDeepBreaths

GMA, that's such great news! It's so nice to see you get some relief!!!

• enjoyevrymoment

GMA- I always thought acupuncture and acupressure were impressive, good for you

Called off from work last night for today with a bad cough, fever, and achiness, feeling a bit better today but no way could I have worked  I have worked in healthcare all my life and usually don't catch things but I guess my immunity is down.  Never took a sick day till my surgery but now all the sick days are used up so this is a vacation day.  Yippee.  hahahaha  Just grateful I have a vacation day to take.  I wonder if I will ever get up to my previous strength and health, in the past people coughed right in my face and I never caught anything.  Oh well, should be glad to be off for something that hasn't to do with cancer :)  Have a great day ladies!  

• julieped

Gardengumby - thanks for your support.  It is nice to know I am not alone!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858

good morning

GmaF thank u Lord,finally some relief for u..it's about time

Me I was sick with my stomach again,,,that was yesterday

So far today no poop..slept on and off all day and nite

We had a fire drill this morning..lol

When the alarm goes off we have to go outside...grrrrrr it's fugly out there and it's only 9:15

BBL

• enjoyevrymoment

Get well, Firecracker~

Yup Julie, it does appear that stupidity is not limited to geographic region or intellectual status....   I am just trying to be sure I do not do something stupid to others, no doubt probably have but that is my goal.  Let stupidity stop here.  HAHAHAHAHA

• proudtospin

enjoy, yeap my immune was the pits after treatment, ending up with shingles 6 months after rads!  I sure I was run down

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

I'm always glad I didn't have to do chemo - when I had cancer it seemed like I caught every little bug that flitted my way.  I was always getting sick.  Since my surgery I haven't caught anything - not even a cold.

• SlowDeepBreaths

enjoyevrymoment, Hope you're feeling better soon.

Kracker, I was hoping the GF diet they put you on would get rid of your stomach troubles. What a horrible way to have to wake up in the morning. That would make me really cranky.

• EmilyInOntario
    EmilyInOntario Member Posts: 288

I thought I'd revisit my favourite thread from 3 years ago. I see some familiar names and glad to see the thread is still going. We had some good laughs here  when they were so desperately needed. This time I'm back with mets but I haven't lost my sense humour!

• enjoyevrymoment

Garden gumbo, that is way cool you have been well since surgery.  I did not require chemo, just femara, after surgery but I guess you still can get stuff.  A day off has done a world of good.

Proudtospin, yukky--shingles.  Sorry you went through that.  I have considered the vaccine but am a bit wary of doing so.  It is on the list of maybes to get to when all this fuss and bother is over with.  

Emily, great to see you checking in, yes, cancer does not rob us of our humor--laughter is truly the best medicine so perhaps that is why stupidity can be a great source of entertainment, even when we are the perpetrators.   

I have successfully done nothing of consequence today.  Just announcing.  To those who have discovered something monumental in the world, baked the perfect casserole or even successfully told off someone who deserved it in the nicest possible way, good for you, but I enjoyed doing nothing.  Now, to erase all woman guilt, I shall proceed to do two loads of laundry.  (I don't want to strain myself ;)  Fever down so bring on feeling better!  

• proudtospin

enjoy, sounds like a wise way to spend the pre holiday! can not see why you can not just enjoy feeling better!  maybe you need some chocolate...just to celebrate!

• SlowDeepBreaths

Emily, so sorry for the reason that brought you back. Good to see your sense of humor still in tact.

• SlowDeepBreaths

• enjoyevrymoment

Hahahahahaha I needed that today, hilarious, SDB! 

Iris, I would have chocolate but I am going to enjoy the lack of appetite hee hee.  Everything tastes like armpits.  So no sense wasting good chocolate hahahahaha.  When I feel better my dark chocolate wilbur buds are waiting....